• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tink Matchup Guide Thread

Journal

Smash Apprentice

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Hello, I plan to write a Toon Link matchup summary tomorrow for the Zelda Matchup anthology, and I'd like some advice. I will use Oracle's recorded set versus Lunchables as inspiration. It's the only high-level footage of the matchup that I'm aware of from 3.5/3.6 BETA. I know the matchup is in Toon Link's favor, but to what extent? What are some tips for Zelda?

D

Deleted member

Basically I played like dog **** vs. Oracles Zelda and didn't respect any of zeldas things. It's a pretty poor and outdated example of the MU, since I think toon link wins and I didn't properly execute toon links strengths.

TL wins +2 or +3, although he has to approach the MU a little bit differently since he can't spam projectiles vs. Nayru. You use your superior movement speed and normals to let zelda never have stage control, and from there its pretty hard to lose. The whole point of the game is commitment, and you don't have to commit.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Hey guys, I was playing a tink in tournament tonight and got absolutely rocked due to matchup inexperience. I play both ivysaur and marth, and neither seemed to do very well against the tink player. Which of these two do you guys have more trouble with, and are there any strategies that are particularly effective from either character against toon link?

D

Deleted member

I think it has the basic idea down, although the finer details could use some work

We don't beat ZSS for example, our matchups vs spacies are likely -3 instead of -2, there are some blanks that could easily be filled in, etc etc

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Why is GnW listed as -2 for Tink? I thought that was a MU in our favor.

The blank Wolf spot is an easy one to fill to because like the Fox and Falco it is a really hard MU for him and can be put at -3 with them.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, we beat GnW probably +2 or something like that. Easily in our favor

I wonder if they asked Mr Lz for advice on the GnW matchups. He has toon link listed pretty low in his tier list (with dk/bowser/other mediocre characters) so he might think toon link isn't that good?

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Nah, my mistake more than likely. Should be -2 for G&W. Thanks for pointing it out.
What about the other missing spots? I'm not well versed in Tink.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well....

We probably go evenish with Ike but I could see it going slightly in favor for either character as well.

I don't really have any Pit experience but I think it is most likely a pretty good MU for us.

Roy is even I think. Lunchables could offer a lot more insight on that MU though.

No idea about Squirtle as my only experience is against @ PlateProp PlateProp and he is a way better player then me. But my gut tells me tbat Squirt has the mobility and speed to keep us from pulling bombs and seems to have a tendancy to be able to ignore rang and tether grab sucks against him. But again my prespective is probably skewed.

Oh and Yoshi. I feel is in our favor overall. At least a +1 if not a +2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think toon link probably beats ike +1 or something, don't have enough exp but we can shut down QD pretty easily

Roy is about even, his ground game is still just as threatening as 3.5 but now you can reliably kill him so it went from in his favor to even or +1 for us

squirtle is uh... I don't know. Squirtle?

Yoshi is +3 probably, it's REALLY bad

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Well....

We probably go evenish with Ike but I could see it going slightly in favor for either character as well.

I don't really have any Pit experience but I think it is most likely a pretty good MU for us.

Roy is even I think. Lunchables could offer a lot more insight on that MU though.

No idea about Squirtle as my only experience is against @ PlateProp PlateProp and he is a way better player then me. But my gut tells me tbat Squirt has the mobility and speed to keep us from pulling bombs and seems to have a tendancy to be able to ignore rang and tether grab sucks against him. But again my prespective is probably skewed.

Oh and Yoshi. I feel is in our favor overall. At least a +1 if not a +2.
Tether grabs dont suck, Tink has a ganon dthrow and can cg squirtle forever into up b cause lol

Pulling bombs is a bad idea because of the squirtle manages to get a hold of one (easy if you throw them right at them because water gun doesnt blow bombs up, slightly more difficult if you throw them down from above) you give squirtle access to his glide toss which covers the length of almost every stage at ridiculously high speeds, while having a projectile infront of him he can follow up on.

Rang should be used to cut off approach options (throwing it straight if you want to cut off the ground, angling up to cut off aerial approaches), then using your aerials/ground moves to cover the area boomerang is not

Mostly just smart projectile use, and making sure you get regrabs (Squirtle's tech roll is **** you know this lol) into up b finisher or whatever it is Tinks are using now to kill people

TL:DR Tink is a fortress and squirtle has to sneak past defenses

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Tether grabs dont suck, Tink has a ganon dthrow and can cg squirtle forever into up b cause lol
I mean I know I can tech-chase Squirt but I don't actually know if I can full cg against Squirt before Squirt lands. If I actually can I'm going to headesk.

But Tether grabs aren't that good either lol. No that I'm complaining (at least I'm not trying to and if it sounds like, then, well... it isn't intended) because he has really good throws. But from memory doesn't it whiff against a crouching Squirt/Squirt in Side Special. I suppose I'll need to retest this stuff again. :L

Pulling bombs is a bad idea because of the squirtle manages to get a hold of one (easy if you throw them right at them because water gun doesnt blow bombs up, slightly more difficult if you throw them down from above) you give squirtle access to his glide toss which covers the length of almost every stage at ridiculously high speeds, while having a projectile infront of him he can follow up on.
You never/barely catch my bombs though. But I will def try to keep that in mind.

EDIT - My memory goofed on me. I have no freaking idea why I thought I remembered Squirt going under grab before. Sheesh.

Still not sure on the cg thing though. On no DI and DI in Tink can cg Squirt pretty hard and lead into an easy Dair but for the life of me I could not get the compute to DI away and I suck at trying to use 2 controllers to test DI stuff. But I also think the mixing up the DI will make the cg hard to pull off (if there even is a cg on DI away) cause you only get so many frames to get the cg on predictable DI as it is making trying to actually react to it hard (at least in my case). And if I'm not frame perfect once it gets to a certain percent I think you should be able to escape out of the cg (still a tight frame on you though) and out of the kill. It seems pretty hard to pull off consistently.

Last edited:

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Matchup from
's Perspective (+3 has Tink winning)

+3:

+2:

+1:

0:

-1:

-2:

-3:

What do you guys think? Anything wildly inaccurate?

This is for updating the (outdated) community matchup chart.

Last edited:

AnEnemyMongoose

Smash Cadet
What do you all think about the Mario matchup? Over on his discussion board I saw someone say it was pretty even, maybe slightly in M's favor. Opinions?

Maxer203

Smash Rookie
Matchup from
's Perspective (+3 has Tink winning)

+3:

+2:

+1:

0:

-1:

-2:

-3:

What do you guys think? Anything wildly inaccurate?

This is for updating the (outdated) community matchup chart.
Based on my netplay experiences charazard should be at +3

Top Bottom