• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I've been habitually overlooking competitive advice on Smash 4 due to the lack of GCN controllers for it atm.
I should probably stop doing that. :ohwell:
Pro controller and Gamepad work just fine, in fact you have an extra bumper button you can use for jumping so that you can use aerials with the second stick way easier.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I was watching videos on smash bros reactions and...
This is a godsend. :joyful:

D

Deleted member

I didn't mention this earlier, but I have been playing some FE7 on my Wii U.

I'm only in Chapter 8 right now (and I did the Sidequest in Chapter 7x) and I can say that it's a pretty good game from what I've played.
There are some features that I am missing from Awakening. For starters, I wish there was a world map so that I could revisit those areas and grind levels for my units; I know that this game isn't so kind to that. Second, I wish this game was a bit kinder in regards to money... it's pretty minimal. In my opinion, I find it weird how Lyn's signature sword, the Mani Katti, has limited weapon usage while the Falchions that Chrom and Lucina use have no limited usage; I just find it odd because the Mani Katti is a plot important weapon. Lastly, I wish the Tactician had more of a role in this game. I mean, Robin did more than call the actions; he had a major role in the game, fought in battle, and because he had a major role in Awakening and has an established personality, I had the chance to relate to him. Here, the Tactician barely has a role and I think that having Lyn say stuff like, "You did a great job, *insert player name*!" or "What should we do, *insert player name*?" is a bit forced in my eyes; I do like the characters here, but I think I can connect to the world this game presents me even more if the Tactician had a role like Robin did and I saw him actually converse with the characters.
There are features in this game that I wish were in Awakening. In Awakening, there is just regular Fire, Thunder, and Wind and dark magic exclusive to Dark Mages; the three tomes I mention have no sort of weapon triangle with each other and the three tomes aren't stronger against the dark magic and vice versa. Here, there is Anima magic, dark magic, and light magic and there is a weapon triangle formed here; that is gone in Awakening for whatever reason. Second, there are different objectives to keep the game fresh so that I am not stuck with the same old "defeat all the enemies" or "defeat the commander." I have to sometimes seize an area or throne or I have to press three switches to win or I have to defend someone for seven turns.
Overall, I am enjoying my time with the game and I can't wait to play more of it. I am a bit invested in the story and I do see why people like Lyn as a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Something something certain gaiden xx stage that had metric tons of high xp berserkers to kill for exp rank.
I think solidly developing the rest of the S tier characters as the game comes usually covers you for exp rank, no?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Something something certain gaiden xx stage that had metric tons of high xp berserkers to kill for exp rank.
I think solidly developing the rest of the S tier characters as the game comes usually covers you for exp rank, no?
32x doesn't cover THAT much. Yeah, definitely bank turns for it, but when I first attempted the S rank I came up like 60 levels short and mainly only because I benched Lowen, Wil, Bartre and Fiora because I thought I could get away with it. (I was wrong)

D

Deleted member

32x doesn't cover THAT much. Yeah, definitely bank turns for it, but when I first attempted the S rank I came up like 60 levels short and mainly only because I benched Lowen, Wil, Bartre and Fiora because I thought I could get away with it. (I was wrong)
Oh no, I've been benching him lately. That's not good then.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That said, it also depends on how much EXP you're bringing over from Lyn mode. That's a fair chunk of levels that you don't get, if you do Lyn mode first. But at the same time, Angelic Robe + E Ring, makes early chapters easier, etc.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
I have finally found another Robin main in my local area, played some dittos and there was some awesome matches. Mindgames with the Nosferatus and the broken items and crazy Bairs. Finally I have a fellow tactician over here to play some friendly dittos.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Some gifts for you, before I go to bed. (I'll add them to the video thread later)

That Villager looks just like mine. Just a lot faster. And better.

Man, I really need to play against better people and step up my game ^^;

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Those were great sets Raz. Especially vs. Drake's Rosalina. I was impressed with your download speed. :b (also lulz at the commentator stage whining and bracket salt)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I honestly don't know what to do with myself.

I can't play my favorite newcomer for crackers, but I can perform well with Ness.

Is Robin just that hard of a character to master?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wish that we could rig our postbit to just include all the characters we play in Smash 4 instead of one main per game.
Considering I play more characters in Smash 4 than I ever did in Melee/Brawl.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I honestly don't know what to do with myself.

I can't play my favorite newcomer for crackers, but I can perform well with Ness.

Is Robin just that hard of a character to master?
What areas in particular are you having issues with?

I only got into Robin recently, so maybe we can help each-other learn? :3

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Disclaimer: This has a 99.9999999% chance of being fake(spelling error lol). Posted in the leaks group.

Notice something there?

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
Disclaimer: This has a 99.9999999% chance of being fake(spelling error lol). Posted in the leaks group.

Notice something there?
I swear, if this is true, I'm going to cry; we haven't had a good direct back-to-back sequel since Path of Radiance + Radiant Dawn!

But, I won't get my hopes up too much, since I don't want them to be crushed. Grima's Vengeance is an interesting title, and I hope they do end up nerfing the Pair Up system since it's so broken in Awakening.

Hopefully, this is real!

KeyDrop

Smash Rookie
NNID
KeyDrop
There's too much stuff, no way it's real.
Metroid for 3ds Okami and the last story on new 3ds and fire emblem for wiiu

D

Deleted member

As I said in a different thread when this was brought up there, although I'm very skeptical of the thing being true, I'm going to be a little peeved if this game is coming out in place of SMT X FE.

Was looking forward to that crossover.

Last edited by a moderator:

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
As I said in a different thread when this was brought up there, although I'm very skeptical of the thing being true, I'm going to be a little peeved if this game is coming out in place of SMT X FE.

Was looking forward to that crossover.
I somewhat agree with you in being upset if SMT x FE is canceled, since that would mean that the possibility of Micaiah being playable again in glorious HD would be destroyed. Also, after that spelling error, I'm not so sure it's legit anymore.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The only reasons I'd want it to be real would be Grima's Vengeance(although to me it makes no sense since multiple endings), Mewtwo trailer and Metroid 3D that i hope features sylux pls. The spelling error seriously kills it for me.

KeyDrop

Smash Rookie
NNID
KeyDrop
Honestly it's already dead for me, I can't find it anywhere else on the internet, I'm not usually this sceptical but I really have no reason to believe it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What areas in particular are you having issues with?

I only got into Robin recently, so maybe we can help each-other learn? :3
Getting out of juggles, follow ups, and general playstyle of the character.

I know how to set up Arcfire traps, and walls, and I know how to follow up with a Levin F-Air, U-Air or whatever, but once those quick ruahdoqn characters get in my face, I'm finished.

Zoning characters are just as bad. I can't apply pressure without completely exposing my defense.

I do need to spar more... And I'd love to so some Robin training I'd you're up for it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Getting out of juggles, follow ups, and general playstyle of the character.

I know how to set up Arcfire traps, and walls, and I know how to follow up with a Levin F-Air, U-Air or whatever, but once those quick rushdown characters get in my face, I'm finished.

Zoning characters are just as bad. I can't apply pressure without completely exposing my defense.

I do need to spar more... And I'd love to so some Robin training I'd you're up for it.
That's interesting to know.

In my experience, rushdown characters can be outwitted by using their own rushdown tactics against 'em. I used to play rushdowns a lot in previous Smash games, and I tend to favour that archetype in other fighting games, so I have some experience in that regard. If it's a rushdown fighter like Captain Falcon or Little Mac, who have no ranged moves whatsoever, they need to get all up in your face to hurt you. So keep them at a distance first and foremost. I like to put an Arcfire wall in their way - if they don't run right into it, it'll at least force them to either wait or circumvent it somehow. That second's worth of consideration can be crucial for someone as slow and methodical as Robin.

Zoners can be tricky as well. Most of my favourite characters are zoners like Pit and Palutena, and I know that it can be frustrating to try and pressure them when they'll just pressure you right back. Remember that Arcfire can be used as a projectile wall and that, if they do come in for the kill with physical moves, you can just whallop 'em right back with the Levin Sword - chances are it's much stronger than anything they can hit you with, so defend and counter as you see fit.

Just relax and take it easy. I know from my own misadventures with zoners that it can feel really, really tempting to just rush in and whack stuff, but you'll get punished hard for it and you'll just get salty about it for making stupid mistakes like that. I've found that pacing yourself and developing a calm, focused mindset actually works wonders for this kind of character. Get into the mindset of your character and know what works for them and what doesn't work - plan your tactics in advance and always stay (at least) three steps ahead of the competition. Remember, a good tactician has nothing to fear!

That's all just general advice, though, since I'm more into the aesthetics and what feels right rather than the technical details and finer points. We'll spar sometime and see how it goes all the same~

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's interesting to know.

In my experience, rushdown characters can be outwitted by using their own rushdown tactics against 'em. I used to play rushdowns a lot in previous Smash games, and I tend to favour that archetype in other fighting games, so I have some experience in that regard. If it's a rushdown fighter like Captain Falcon or Little Mac, who have no ranged moves whatsoever, they need to get all up in your face to hurt you. So keep them at a distance first and foremost. I like to put an Arcfire wall in their way - if they don't run right into it, it'll at least force them to either wait or circumvent it somehow. That second's worth of consideration can be crucial for someone as slow and methodical as Robin.

Zoners can be tricky as well. Most of my favourite characters are zoners like Pit and Palutena, and I know that it can be frustrating to try and pressure them when they'll just pressure you right back. Remember that Arcfire can be used as a projectile wall and that, if they do come in for the kill with physical moves, you can just whallop 'em right back with the Levin Sword - chances are it's much stronger than anything they can hit you with, so defend and counter as you see fit.

Just relax and take it easy. I know from my own misadventures with zoners that it can feel really, really tempting to just rush in and whack stuff, but you'll get punished hard for it and you'll just get salty about it for making stupid mistakes like that. I've found that pacing yourself and developing a calm, focused mindset actually works wonders for this kind of character. Get into the mindset of your character and know what works for them and what doesn't work - plan your tactics in advance and always stay (at least) three steps ahead of the competition. Remember, a good tactician has nothing to fear!

That's all just general advice, though, since I'm more into the aesthetics and what feels right rather than the technical details and finer points. We'll spar sometime and see how it goes all the same~
I see what you did there at the end. :laugh:

Thanks for he pointers. If anything, I need to slow down.

Something that's really helped me with developing a good playstyle with Robin was reading Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'.

Attack what your opponent can't defend... Defend what he can't attack.

We'll also have to throw @ False Sense False Sense in our play session. He's a great tactician in his own right, and one of the better Robin players.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Something that's really helped me with developing a good playstyle with Robin was reading Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'.

Attack what your opponent can't defend... Defend what he can't attack.
Wait...

Why would you defend what your opponent can't attack? If he can't attack it regardless, there's no point in defending it. :confused:

Eh, what do I know?

We'll also have to throw @ False Sense False Sense in our play session. He's a great tactician in his own right, and one of the better Robin players.
Embarrass

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Wait...

Why would you defend what your opponent can't attack? If he can't attack it regardless, there's no point in defending it. :confused:

Eh, what do I know?

Embarrass
You may think I flatter you, but I'm only speaking truth.

And I misquoted Mr. Sun. Rather, you defend what your opponet knows not how to attack.

Defending an unattackable position is stupidity.

So basicly, play to your strengths.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
So I ordered one of those bundles for the adapter and it came in the mail today. Gonna be spending most of tomorrow and thursday getting reacquainted with the Gamecube controller.

In other news I ran into another Robin the yesterday on For Glory who was really competent. While I can't determine if Robin was their main since they went Robin after the first match against mine, but they were good. Though I think they got cocky after taking the first Robin ditto game off me. I will admit that in that match I made a couple fumbles and I underestimated them, but after that first game I got a good grasp on their battle strategy. I developed a counter plan to them and proceeded to beat them for the next couple matches until they switched characters to Sonic. The matches were really fun though, despite them coming off as a bit of a jerk.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
The only reasons I'd want it to be real would be Grima's Vengeance(although to me it makes no sense since multiple endings), Mewtwo trailer and Metroid 3D that i hope features sylux pls. The spelling error seriously kills it for me.
I'm 99.99999999% certain the 'Robin deals the final blow to Grima' ending would be considered canon. That aside, I'm almost certain the supposed leak is ********, although I don't really agree with people either when they say a new Fire Emblem being announced would mean the cancellation of SMTXFE (which BETTER come out!). And if it is true, holy ****! New Metroid and new Fire Emblem!

Last edited:
Posted because it's relevant to Robin anyway
sometimes I get back after X amount of time and I look at the 2-3 pages of posts and I'm just like
THE FIRST BOOK IS GREEN AND THE ONE HE THROWS IS YELLOW

My mind is blown
------

Notice something there?
Just to play safe, I'll just assume it's fake. Also, "Chronichles" but whatever.

Also, what's that Mario Wii U title over there? (I'm mostly interested in that)

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
If that list is true I'll have a good laugh for about a day straight.

"Grima's Revenge". Suuure.
"Fire Emblem Reawakening: Grima's Revengeance Revelations - Reloaded™"

Though I'd totally play a Wii U Port with extra content titled "Reawakening".
Then again, I'd probably play FER:GRR-R, too, if it was as good as Awakening.

Top Bottom