• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No children eh?
I appreciate your boldness. Not many people would agree with you.
Well, it wasn't in any FE before Awakening...
Besides what said, I'd much rather they spend their resources fleshing out the main cast of the game. Love them or no, you have to admit all of the child characters were secondary to the plot, despite being more complex than most of their parents.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
The only thing I want changed for sure is mission objectives. Awakening was horrible because almost every mission was Rout The Enemy.

Also FE 4 had Children and they were a blast to play with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You sure? Surely it wasn't implemented quite like Awakening?
Either way I want them gone.
Implemented via timeskip in FE4 (I have not played FE4 keep that in mind, I speak from what I have read and heard), so I assume that it functioned differently in that the second generation couldn't be used in conjunction with the first generation parents (at least not as much) because they grew old or what have you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Implemented via timeskip in FE4 (I have not played FE4 keep that in mind, I speak from what I have read and heard), so I assume that it functioned differently in that the second generation couldn't be used in conjunction with the first generation parents (at least not as much) because they grew old or what have you.
That was how I thought it was going to work in Awakening, actually. Though that is one game, no wonder I didn't know about it...

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
So fellow tacticians, would you rather see a traditional Fire Emblem (no map traveling, linear but with side quests being available at certain chapters ) or a Gaiden/SS/Awakening approach (being able to travel a map and visit old levels via skirmishes) for FE14?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So fellow tacticians, would you rather see a traditional Fire Emblem (no map traveling, linear but with side quests being available at certain chapters ) or a Gaiden/SS/Awakening approach (being able to travel a map and visit old levels via skirmishes) for FE14?
I don't really have a particular preference, although open world was (cosmetically) nice for me because I like spending idle time in the game world.~

Hong

The Strongest
I prefer the world map approach.

1) Optional battles for those who want them
2) Able to access equipment from previous shops. Each chapter completed becomes "unlocking" new merchandise
3) Tactical considerations. For instance, if they make a sidequest really hard, you can decide when you want to take it on

And yeah, like TSO, I like just having the idle period on the world map. Don't need to go into a battle just to manage your equipment or save.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I don't really have a particular preference, although open world was (cosmetically) nice for me because I like spending idle time in the game world.~
I prefer an overworld. In addition to what @ Hong Hong said, I am playing through FE7 now and I despise how I have to waste a unit's turn just so that I can buy something, even if its for something as simple as an iron sword or a vulnerary.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm actually quite fond of the traditional approach to Fire Emblem travelling, as seen in FE7 and the Tellius games. It gives me this sense of feeling that I'm on the run from a much more powerful force, and that I might be able to access different routes (and new characters) if I play well enough. I don't mind buying items in the middle of a chapter, because I like being able to utilize the gold that I've been given and use it to spend wisely.

I despised the increased emphasis on grinding in Awakening.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I want optional chapters that are rewarded through the player like in FE7 and no free battles through the main game, once beat there could be some trial maps like in PoR with various difficulties where you could train any units from a selected save file, that way you can experiment without needing to start a new game, while also not making the main game feel grind heavy like some described Awakening (although to be fair, I only did this for the paralogues, sure I played every optiona battle that I saw, but I never really went out of my way to "grind" for the main story, I think it's highly uneeded as it's not all that hard if you don't choose classic-lunatic).

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
For the question of traditional vs Awakening-style, I'd definitely have to go with traditional. One of the reasons that Awakening was so easy comparatively to the others (on Normal mode, not Lunatic or Lunatic+ mind you, although those don't compare to Radiant Dawn's Japanese Hard Mode seriously that was literally the hardest thing ever) was because of the easy accessibility for grinding. In the traditional games, you had to think much more strategically about where to place your units so they could gain levels, but be at risk or not, which made you think more. Awakening doesn't have that same charm.

However, I absolutely loved the Paralogues in Awakening, so I believe that they should take the Fire Emblem: Rekka No Ken route and do the optional sidequests with certain objectives needing to be completed in order to get them. This would encourage multiple playthroughs.

As for the children characters, I honestly don't really feel the need for children anymore. Like, in Awakening, it was important to the story because of the whole Fell Dragon concept and turning back the clock to set things right again, but I absolutely abhorred how the children characters and the marriage system ended up shafting development of the characters in terms of supports and Barracks conversations.

Like, if they're in, fine, but don't shaft out development or meaningful supports for the parent characters just to get the children.

For the new game, I also want more Victory conditions other than Route the Enemy or Defeat the Boss. The Defend victory option from Radiant Dawn (sorry for referring to this game a lot, it's one of my personal favorites and first Fire Emblem game) was a cool twist, and so did the Enemies That Need to Be Taken Down (killing certain number of enemies, forcing aggression and carefulness into your strategy).

In another subject, what controller ports do you guys use, since port priority is apparently not a thing anymore? I personally use the second player because the blue victory background contrasts better with default Robin's outfit.

D

Deleted member

What would probably help prevent FE14 from turning into as much as a grindfest as Awakening (I personally really like grinding and stuff like that though), imo would be to either make whatever the equivalent of Reeking Boxes (if there is an equivalent) is in FE14 either much more expensive or less common (limited in stock at stores maybe, or only by drop from enemies or something) (the former seeming more viable atm).

The issue in Awakening was that you could buy Reeking Boxes for 500 gold, and a couple enemies in the wave would always drop a few Bullions.

So if you even got one Reeking Box you could easily start a cycle of grinding that would be easy to maintain, not to mention an easy gold and experience supply (especially for the latter if you got lucky and spawned a wave of the Golden Risen).

So I think that if there is a "spawn enemies" item, it should be expensive to the point that it can't be used to easily grind until the end of time without burning through all of your funds.

Of course that also depends on how they go about higher difficulties, thinking about it now they probably had the Reeking Boxes at a reasonably low price in Awakening because the enemies in Lunatic were merciless to the point that it'd be hard to survive without grinding.

Just a thought.~

Last edited by a moderator:

Folt

Smash Ace
What would probably help prevent FE14 from turning into as much as a grindfest as Awakening (I personally really like grinding and stuff like that though), imo would be to either make whatever the equivalent of Reeking Boxes (if there is an equivalent) is in FE14 either much more expensive or less common (limited in stock at stores maybe, or only by drop from enemies or something) (the former seeming more viable atm).

The issue in Awakening was that you could buy Reeking Boxes for 500 gold, and a couple enemies in the wave would always drop a few Bullions.

So if you even got one Reeking Box you could easily start a cycle of grinding that would be easy to maintain, not to mention an easy gold and experience supply (especially for the latter if you got lucky and spawned a wave of the Golden Risen).

So I think that if there is a "spawn enemies" item, it should be expensive to the point that it can't be used to easily grind until the end of time without burning through all of your funds.

Of course that also depends on how they go about higher difficulties, thinking about it now they probably had the Reeking Boxes at a reasonably low price in Awakening because the enemies in Lunatic were merciless to the point that it'd be hard to survive without grinding.

Just a thought.~
On Hard and above, Reeking Boxes get more expensive, and on Lunatic and above, the Risen's enemy stats eventually outweigh a similiarly levelled party meaning you can't really beat them until you finally reach max stats for your units.

On that note, doing a no-grind run in Awakening is really fun, and a different kind of fun compared to the kind of grinding you usually do. I particularly like doing it on Hard (which I consider to be the middle-level of difficulty in Awakening) where it suddently gets a lot closer to the traditional way of Fire Emblem that I'm familiar with.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah... I don't think having a world map at all implies the game will be a grindfest or a game is dependant on grinding. Beat Awakening on Lunatic just fine without children (barring Lucina), DLC or fighting world-map Risen. Any problems with grinding should be addressed entirely with no regard to the world map, because they don't have to go hand-in-hand. I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but they have multiple difficulty settings for a reason. If Lunatic is too hard for a player and they choose to grind in response, taking away this difficulty, it is on their prerogative.

That said, @ AustarusIV AustarusIV is right in that sometimes sidequests can take away the sense of severity in the story. "My sister just died and now we're on the run... Let's go on a half-humoured diversion to save a silly merchant in the middle of ****ing nowhere and pretend nothing happened." Even tweaking the writing will make it hard to not have this feel silly.

Maybe have a few chapters that are multiple battles in succession with a warning in advance (to allow the player to get sufficient supplies), like in Path of Radiance. A few times in Awakening, part of the mood is kind of lost because it's broken up by a world map and a bunch of **** popping up.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, it wasn't in any FE before Awakening...
Besides what said, I'd much rather they spend their resources fleshing out the main cast of the game. Love them or no, you have to admit all of the child characters were secondary to the plot, despite being more complex than most of their parents.
Such a shame too, seeing as I loved Lucina, Yarne, and Kjelle as characters.

ViralN9

Smash Cadet
That said, @ AustarusIV AustarusIV is right in that sometimes sidequests can take away the sense of severity in the story. "My sister just died and now we're on the run... Let's go on a half-humoured diversion to save a silly merchant in the middle of ****ing nowhere and pretend nothing happened." Even tweaking the writing will make it hard to not have this feel silly.
I got to agree with this. Even if they don't change the style of writing they could at least improve the timing.

Example: All those paraloges that are unlocked right before the final chapter when they would make more sense to put them after the "Awakening" chapter in my opinion.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I've come back from the dead to devour you all.

But seriously, I don't know why I stopped visiting this thread regularly. It's my favorite social thread throughout the forums yet I barely ever actually visit it, let alone post in it.

THAT MUST CHANGE!

new fire emblem hype

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
While that is true, it's not as if not that's an uncommon convention in RPG's. Quite the contrary. Watches the cutscene right before the final boss, "You know what? Let's do a bunch of side quests instead, some of which don't even get me anything good. I'm sure the world can wait." Your overall point, however, is taken and as @ ViralN9 ViralN9 suggests above, at least some of the delivery of certain sidequests can be fixed with better timing.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've come back from the dead to devour you all.

But seriously, I don't know why I stopped visiting this thread regularly. It's my favorite social thread throughout the forums yet I barely ever actually visit it, let alone post in it.

THAT MUST CHANGE!

new fire emblem hype
By Grima, you're a mod!

Congratulations!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
By Grima, you're a mod!

Congratulations!
"By Grima,"

I don't know why, but I laughed waaaay too much at that. Wow.

But yeah, thanks! I'm the mod for the Kirby boards now... although the boards are shriveled up and lifeless, so there isn't much to actually mod. It's still nice, though. Certainly helps me maintain the boards, and I've been able to get a bit more discussion going ever since. Now I need to start making a bunch of Kirby-themed pictures for when I need to warn/infract somebody or lock a thread.

@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima

YOU'RE A MOD!

@ shrooby shrooby

YOU'RE A MOD!

EVERYONE'S A MOD!

LOL.

@ shrooby shrooby and I raided the snack table when we were let in. They weren't pleased when we took the bacon. ;)

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, can you give be a brefrief run down on everything we know about the new Fire emblem game (e.g new things and old returns things) cause it's hard trying to read your comments, particularly on a mobile device. Please?

Hong

The Strongest
Hey guys, can you give be a brefrief run down on everything we know about the new Fire emblem game (e.g new things and old returns things) cause it's hard trying to read your comments, particularly on a mobile device. Please?
If you have fifteen minutes and access to YouTube, watch this. It's the best breakdown.

Only notable thing left out is how Kamui was shown with three designs and two genders, further solidifying them as both Lord and My Unit.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I hope the new weapons added diversify classes a bit more in this instance, and they allow for some more unique class trees than in Awakening (I'm not the only one that felt this kinda made characters stand out a little less from each other in the battlefield, right? I found it to be kind of a double edged sword in this regard). And bring back the magic triangles from Radiant Dawn pls, I really didn't like having a general tome mastery, it was plain silly

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It may just be wishful thinking...

But wouldn't it be neat to finish 90% of FE14 thinking that the side, or faction, you didn't choose was the enemy? At the end, you may team up with the opposing Lord and a few of his units, but most of the game you see them as dastardly villains?

That would be so interesting to form prejudices, only for them all to be broken down on your next play through.

In the very least, I just hope the decisions Iwata mentioned will really, really change things if you mess up. Imagine if you could actually choose to sacrifice 'you know who'.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If you have fifteen minutes and access to YouTube, watch this. It's the best breakdown.

Only notable thing left out is how Kamui was shown with three designs and two genders, further solidifying them as both Lord and My Unit.
Thanks Hong, that was helpful.

Gods, I hope that the Kamui character is My Unit. I love for that to be true.

Two things I hope also return are; Tactician class (just cause)and Anna, because Fire Emblem always needs an Anna

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thanks Hong, that was helpful.

Gods, I hope that the Kamui character is My Unit. I love for that to be true.

Two things I hope also return are; Tactician class (just cause)and Anna, because Fire Emblem always needs an Anna
There's only been one game without Anna. My least favorite...

Folt

Smash Ace
I got to agree with this. Even if they don't change the style of writing they could at least improve the timing.

Example: All those paraloges that are unlocked right before the final chapter when they would make more sense to put them after the "Awakening" chapter in my opinion.
Aversa is part of those Paralogues, so we'd either have to have her get defeated before that, maybe in the Deadlord chapter (love that one btw: the Dark Warlords of Jugdral are back and it's really fun to have a map where your only opponents are bosses armed with high-ranked weapons) or split them up.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v

(Hmm. I should probably mention that I find his quite agreeable as well.)
Ohh, Edgey-poo <3

I know not of anything that came before Awakening, so here's what I hope they do FE14:

- Make leveling and classing units require less tedious grinding. Make it more streamlined or something. There's a specific point in the game where I crap out because I have to spend hours on every single character just to give them useful skills or make then not get killed 5 seconds into a battle. This is about Chapter 16.

- Give me more money. This is a personal thing, I don't like grinding for gold...also put more interesting items in shops early on so I can experiment without having to bankrupt Ylisse.

- No children characters, please. While all them in Awakening are fine by themselves, they added a whole second layer of micromanagement that I really didn't enjoy.

- Better maps, obviously. I'd love bigger or longer maps, more maps where the focus is to take your team as a group through it (like Five Gemstones in Awakening), more environmental hazards, hiding places, etc.

And that's it, really.
As long as the kids aren't from future, I'll be fine with them.
but if they can't fit them without the "time travel" device, I prefer no children.

oO Oh god, I just noticed there's a load of new posts. Damn people D: stop posting too much xD

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
I was out for 2 days and when I come back there's a lot of new post, what the hell? I can't keep up with you guys.

Still I have only played Awakening but I still think that FE14 can learn from Awakening (still one of my favorites game actually)
A lot of missions were just like kill 'em all or just the boss. The maps could be more interesting, the story also could be better or more interesting but it's pretty good.

I liked the Sim simulator, I think that it makes the game a little more interesting, the characters are so well made that is just interesting to see how they react when they talk, the supports are really funny and I think that is really probable that love can bloom in a battlefield like FE shows. But it could make that some characters have more relevance in the history and cutscenes because it was like all Chrom, MU, Lucina and sometimes the Ferox leaders. But I would love to see more actions of the rest of the cast. Still I don't know if the other FE's do this better.

Top Bottom