• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
Huh, so they are. I always figured that since the steering wheel is on the wrong opposite side, the pedals would be reversed as well.
Yeah, it's only the steering wheel that's on the opposite side. The pedals from left to right would be clutch, brake, and gas over here in the US and I would assume in every car.
I now pronounce it canon that TM's work like instructional videos in Pokemon!

Trainer used Dream Eater!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I always assumed you placed the disc on the pokemons head or something and it was, like, absorbed into them.

:135:
I always figured you ran the disk while they were in their ball and it hardwired the knowledge of how to perform the move into their heads.

On that note, I posted this in the Corrin Social already, but it's worth sharing.

Nah

Smash Champion
I always assumed you placed the disc on the pokemons head or something and it was, like, absorbed into them.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was in FireRed/LeafGreen

Though that's also the only time I ever remember it being like that

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

Like Nah Nah said, it almost looks that way in FR/LG. There was always some form of humor as to how Pokemon learned moves through TMs. There was this one comic I read some years ago where a Pokemon was force fed a TM by it's trainer. This also happens in one of Dorkly's Pokemon Rusty videos in which Rusty force feeds HM Strength to his Geodude.

So yeah, in the Pokemon fandom, if it isn't explained, expect "interesting" (most times hilarious) interpretations.

Matsushi

True Blood
Y'all lucky buggers are getting Fates this Friday while I'm here like "so yeah when are we getting our pre-order". :emptysheep:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I have come to the conclusion that I just cannot and will not buy Fire Emblem Fates. Call me whatever you want, but no dual audio option pulls me away and is the ultimate deal breaker...

To everyone getting it, I hope you enjoy the game and have fun with it. Sincerely.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I always figured you ran the disk while they were in their ball and it hardwired the knowledge of how to perform the move into their heads.

On that note, I posted this in the Corrin Social already, but it's worth sharing.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was in FireRed/LeafGreen

Though that's also the only time I ever remember it being like that
Well, that's literally what happens with the animation so.

Like Nah Nah said, it almost looks that way in FR/LG. There was always some form of humor as to how Pokemon learned moves through TMs. There was this one comic I read some years ago where a Pokemon was force fed a TM by it's trainer. This also happens in one of Dorkly's Pokemon Rusty videos in which Rusty force feeds HM Strength to his Geodude.

So yeah, in the Pokemon fandom, if it isn't explained, expect "interesting" (most times hilarious) interpretations.
Heheh, I can imagine that.

Doesn't Fates come out in like a week
No :(

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
I have come to the conclusion that I just cannot and will not buy Fire Emblem Fates. Call me whatever you want, but no dual audio option pulls me away and is the ultimate deal breaker...

To everyone getting it, I hope you enjoy the game and have fun with it. Sincerely.
Why is the lack of a dual audio option so bad to the point where you don't want to experience the game and everything with it? I respect your opinion either way, but it seems pretty drastic.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

Don't let your dreams be dreams! Is there an issue with you acquiring Fates digitally? Low on funds? Low on memory? Preference of acquiring the game physically? I'd like some clarifications on your statement.

Don't be like Salado who only purchased Awakening and a 3DS because of the Japanese track and refuses to support Fates because of no dual audio and a bunch of other petty reasons! I understand. Some voices are a hit or a miss. The voice either just doesn't fit the character, or it's just not that good in general. But don't let one feature determine whether a game is worth purchasing or not!

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Why is the lack of a dual audio option so bad to the point where you don't want to experience the game and everything with it? I respect your opinion either way, but it seems pretty drastic.
I just treat voices as a sacred part of the experience and the dub so far has shown zero promise to me. Which is the primary reason why I made my choice to skip this game.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Y'all lucky buggers are getting Fates this Friday while I'm here like "so yeah when are we getting our pre-order". :emptysheep:
Lucky? Pfft. I COULD get the game(s), but you know...
20160217_183544-1.jpg
Unless one of you wants to trade for a free food card.

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel
1 more day before I disappear from all my social contacts.

......again...

In other news, K20z made a very nice drawing for fellow Lucina fans.

Found a neat gif as well.
tumblr_inline_o2g8yd2xsL1tc5870_540.gif

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I preordered Fates but they aren't getting enough copies to give me mine. Still gonna see about using the money put towards it to get Conquest and gonna let my cousin borrow it. In the middle of my Awakening playthrough still so he'll test the waters while I stick to Awakening so as not to get sick of FE.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I just treat voices as a sacred part of the experience and the dub so far has shown zero promise to me. Which is the primary reason why I made my choice to skip this game.
1. Import the Japanese version
2. Play the English version with the sound off

those are your only options ok
the game is great
play it
play it

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
In case anyone cares about sign reviews.

1 more day before I disappear from all my social contacts.

......again...]
I'll probably do the same.

I'm going to laugh if PAL version get multi voice option

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly the voice work is secondary to the gameplay.

Does it play like a fire emblem game does normally? Then who cares about the other stuff?

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Oh, Fates only has a single voice option? That's unfortunate. I can only go half weeb instead of all-out weeb, then. Oh well

I'm two dollars short of having enough to buy both versions from the start ;_; I guess I'll just go with Conquest then.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Besides, you can just mute the voice actors but hat would be disrespectful towards Matt Mercer

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
I really don't mind the exclusion of the Japanese dub from the western release.
I personally prefer understand what a character has said rather than having a "superior" dub.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If you think Fates is bad, I'm really sorry about Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Honestly Fates sounds fine to me, but would recommend importing or just not playing with sound on, because it seems silly (imo) to forgo a potentially amazing experience for voicework that you'll just get used to.

But hey, your call, obviously.

I really don't mind the exclusion of the Japanese dub from the western release.
I personally prefer understand what a character has said rather than having a "superior" dub.
Which is funny because oftentimes the Japanese dub is worse than English if you understand what they're actually saying.

And of course in Awakening where every character's dual strike line was literally "DUARU STURAIKU!!"

As opposed to our version, where only Owain said that and it was played for laughs.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Haven't heard the voices for Fates aside from Corrin and...whatever the girls name is from that one trailer. That being said, awful voicework is why I never got far in Kid Icarus Uprising. Love the gameplay since it reminds me of Starfox but the voices turned me away from the game. I don't look at turning the volume off as an option since that gets rid of music and sound effects too when only voices are the problem. Apparently there's a secret menu or something to turn the voices off, heck if I know. Point is, if Fates has atrocious voice acting then I can understand people not getting it.

As for PoR and RD, they had bad voice acting, to the point of being funny but it was restricted to cutscenes that were sprinkled here and there. Compare that to Awakening and most likely Fates too having small voice clips everywhere alongside the sprinkled cutscenes.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Haven't heard the voices for Fates aside from Corrin and...whatever the girls name is from that one trailer. That being said, awful voicework is why I never got far in Kid Icarus Uprising. Love the gameplay since it reminds me of Starfox but the voices turned me away from the game. I don't look at turning the volume off as an option since that gets rid of music and sound effects too when only voices are the problem. Apparently there's a secret menu or something to turn the voices off, heck if I know. Point is, if Fates has atrocious voice acting then I can understand people not getting it.

As for PoR and RD, they had bad voice acting, to the point of being funny but it was restricted to cutscenes that were sprinkled here and there. Compare that to Awakening and most likely Fates too having small voice clips everywhere alongside the sprinkled cutscenes.
The absolutely horrible VA in the Tellius games left far more of an impression on me than *any* even remotely bad voice acting in Awakening. Mia's ****ing "Ha-ha, ha-ha-ha!" haunts me to this day.

I don't see what was wrong with Uprising, but this isn't the thread for that. I'm inclined to think it's just people disliking how people cast young heroes with high pitched voices, that don't sound the same when you can understand them.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't recall any voice acting from Mia aside from "Soren! Always lost in your books. What have I said about watching your back?" but then I've only played PoR twice compared to a dozen or so RD playthroughs.

Wasn't trying to say that Awakening has any bad voice acting (honestly, I forget most of it and in my current playthrough, I'm skipping cutscenes) but that Awakening and Fates more consistently show off their voice acting. If Fates has awful voice acting, that's worse to me than PoR or RD since it's far more constant than what the Tellius games provided.

Uprising was just an example I was able to give since it's a great game that was completely ruined for me by the voice acting and dialogue in general. And this is a social so I doubt there's any problem with discussing KI:U.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't recall any voice acting from Mia aside from "Soren! Always lost in your books. What have I said about watching your back?" but then I've only played PoR twice compared to a dozen or so RD playthroughs.

Wasn't trying to say that Awakening has any bad voice acting (honestly, I forget most of it and in my current playthrough, I'm skipping cutscenes) but that Awakening and Fates more consistently show off their voice acting. If Fates has awful voice acting, that's worse to me than PoR or RD since it's far more constant than what the Tellius games provided.

Uprising was just an example I was able to give since it's a great game that was completely ruined for me by the voice acting and dialogue in general. And this is a social so I doubt there's any problem with discussing KI:U.
Personally I thought the casting was spot-on and the voicework, while intially jarring in some cases was charming and good. And the entertaining dialogue helped. Not perfect, but I thought it was memorable in a good way. They also had some up-and-coming voice talent, and some stars in the mix. (Referring to Uprising here, although the same is true of Awakening.)

I would never let something aesthetic like that (especially one that can be turned off) prevent me from experiencing a game, though.

But seriously people get so uppity about voices not sounding like they thought they should in their heads. It doesn't make them bad, and you'll get used to it and it'll be a non-issue. (This isn't directed at you, just a general statement)

Maybe it wasn't Mia that laughed. I definitely remember absolutely hating the inflection on "Soren! Always lost in your books!" though. That cutscene was just a cluster**** of horrible, at least audibly. From a visual standpoint it was pretty ok.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Might have been Mist you were thinking of. I don't recall anyone laughing in the RD cutscenes.

As for KI:U, I got it as one of my first 3DS games and kept trying to go back to it time and again but I hate the voices that much. I didn't even really have an idea in my head of what Pit should sound like...it's just that he sounds so damn annoying and the cringe inducing dialogue between him and Palutena was an immediate turn off for me. For what it's worth, I've seen an LP of the game and I can say the voice acting gets slightly less cringeworthy as the game goes on and even has some humorous moments "Hades! Pit! Hades! Pit! etc."

I would go back to KI:U but I wanna focus on Awakening for now (work doesn't allow me to focus on too many games at one point) and Starfox Zero is coming out soon and will fill my flying and shooting needs with hopefully less cringey voice acting and dialogue. Plus, if I'm playing KI:U, I need to look up how to turn the voices off because it's apparently hidden.

Matsushi

True Blood
The dubbing in the Radiant Dawn cutscenes admittedly was awful. There were a few bearable voices such as Shinon and Rolf, Mia was alright, Tibarn was alright, but Ranulf was absolutely tragic. Not only was the audio quality sub-par, it almost sounded like he was mumbling and he had little or no emotion in his voice despite the particular cutscene being action packed.

That said, I will always love Radiant Dawn with all my heart. <3

I do think :4corrinf:'s dubbed voice does sound rather unusual. Her appearance is so graceful and elegant, but her voice, particularly her down and up taunts, is very... unfitting, for lack of a better word. As for :4corrin:, I can't listen to his voice without hearing Liquid Snake.

Top Bottom