• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time or Stock

RogueJanson

Smash Apprentice
I believe time is the best (especially with friends) because people go all out on time. I know so many people who play stock and always have strategies of hit-and-run and nick people for small amounts of damage at one time and wait until people finish people off... then take advantage. However, with time you always have to fight to keep up with score, otherwise you won't have any kills! Therefore it forces people to fight eachother. Also, with time, there is no end point where usually there is a 1 on 1. If people wanted to 1 on 1, let them do it alone (on time! hehe^_^), but this is MULTIPLAYER. It's also no fun watching your buddies just sitting there after they are dead. They usually lose interest in the game and go do something else (like play computer games instead). Also, if you do mess up in games and die by accident, you can still make up for your one death by killing people. However, in stock, you cannot atone for your mistakes. I set my matches to 5 min., random level, normal items, and no handicap with friends. The only great flaw in time that stock makes up for is that people with high damage sometimes intentionally or not do die by bombs or just fall off cliffs when they have high damage, and many see this as "cheap" and complain about it. However, if you are good, you should be able to kick people's *** even with them being "cheap". I don't really care if people do "cheap" because I am confident in my fighting abilities. So therefore, those are the reasons why I play on time and think it is much better than stock. I would like someone to intricately tell me all their reasons why stock is better, if they think stock is better of course.

SAU Saga

Smash Lord
i like both, but i usually play stock. the only downside of that is that you can't get a sudden death (well, i guess you could but it's pretty hard in stock). yeah, in stock people can get lazy and just let others fight it out till one kills the other, has little stock left, and then take them out - but that could be looked at as a weird, funky tactic of some sort... i dunno

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Geno, what do you mean you can get to sudden death on stock? you cant, only time.

I prefer stock cuz it keeps people from killing themselves on purpose to win.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Stock is better than time for my group of folk.
Time essentially is this: Chase after the high damage character and fight over killing them. This is annoying and lame. Also sometimes people are lame with suicides.
Stock is this: Fight constantly and eventually someone wins. Nobody plays cheaply and sits around not fighting in my group of players. Therefore stock is just a big battle.

-B

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
no no thats bologne, you can only get sudden death on time, trust me. Its impossible with stock. SSBGR8 I think maybe your memmories are failing you or something...

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
:cool: Yeah, what kinda bull are you trying to pull. We are to dedicated of fans to fall for a rumor like that.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
:cool: ok, SmashMan, now I know you're full of it. I knew that excuse was gonna come up. It is not possible for one reason.

Sudden Death a condition in which a score is tied in Time Mode ONLY! Read your manual. It cannot happen in stock!

FOX

Smash Journeyman
forget the frikin manual you could just jump off with antheer player at he exact same time and do exactly as they do. that happened to me when my friend was copying me in stock and we were both the same player

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
hmm, so jumping off at the same time... i will have to try that. I guess it just takes extremem luck. I probably will never believe until it happens to me anyway haha.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
heh misto before we know it this will turn into another religious discussion.

Anyway I tried it and it didnt work :(

I guess I will have to just wait and see if it happens without me trying one day...

Donkey Kong

Smash Apprentice
I prefer stock, because it requires more skill than time mode. I mean in time, you can come back an unlimited amount of times and never actually truely be defeated. In stock you have only a set amount of life. But you can actually cheat in stock mode. When three people are duking it out, one person can just run away and hide and keep his life count high while the other people are killing each other. Also they can just sit back and wait until they have high life and just attack then(but you can do that in both modes). So overall I prefer stock, and I know I will be using Stock more than Time in SSBM, but since there are new modes(ie. custom, coin and tourney modes) I'm not sure which modes will be my most used.

Donkey Kong
~D.K.~

Mega Man

Smash Cadet
I agree with D.K on thisone, stock is better and it takes more skill to do stock, you end up being more causous with stock because of the number of lives factor. But the more skilled players should test there luck against other skilled players in a stock match. If you are a agressive player and win because of it in time, so your kills sent you to victory, but in stock kills don't matter, surviving is what counts. It's Stock for me all the way!!!!

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I prefer time, because it's more about who can kill the most. And no one wins just cause they hid and waited for the battle to end.

Fox Hollywood

Smash Apprentice
Well graveler2, although both stock and time have their good and bad points, me and my friends always play stock. heres why. In time, we all run after the person with the highest percent, trying to kill him, that's gay. Two, in time, you can hide, adn no one will run after, because were not sure if you're in the lead, that's gay. Although I like the no 1 on 1's the disadvantages of time are too many. stock is better, because we can tell whose in the lead, but also, there is more strategy involved as you try to kill who you don't want to fight one on one. However, it is easy to hide and win in both mode, but in stock, at least with me, if you win with the least amount of kills, you get riduculed pretty badly for being cheap. this happens to samus alot, who just hides in the corner and charges.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
You know Fox, with all these gay-comments you been making, makes me wonder why you are so homo-phobic.... :rolleyes:

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Misto-Roboto:
<STRONG>I prefer time, because it's more about who can kill the most. And no one wins just cause they hid and waited for the battle to end.</STRONG>
actaully thats the reason i dont like time, because once someone gets ahead they will just hide and dodge everything to waste time so they win, then it turns into a stupid game.

zidane

Smash Apprentice
I live in that box that you ponder about every tim
by fox hollywood

In time, we all run after the person with the highest percent, trying to kill him, that's gay.
that's also strange. i've never done that...

if you win with the least amount of kills, you get riduculed pretty badly for being cheap.
if i hear the word "cheap" one more time, i'm gonna...i dunno what i'm gonna do...

anyway, to answer the question, i have this friend who wins most of the time when me and my friends play stock, b/c he doesn't fight nearly as much as me or anyone else. this is why i prefer time. aside from that, i really don't havva preference.

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: zidane ]

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Well, you're are welcome to use my F-43 Fusion Cannon. Time and Stock are both good. It's best not to do just one the whole time so that way it stays interesting.

Din86

Smash Apprentice
i'm a stock kinda guy meself and when i play there's no cheapness around me and my friends all fight and if any of em go hidin i just take the battle over to them and so usually stock games are pretty fair for me but i always win cause i'm better than my freinds but sometimes my freinds get more kills than me which is rare but even when it happens i don't get called cheap cause i always fight and don't do cheap but well that's my opinion so i recon stock rulez!

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by zidane:
<STRONG>

if i hear the word "cheap" one more time, i'm gonna...i dunno what i'm gonna do...

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: zidane ]</STRONG>
I'm about to fire off this cannon myself...grrr...

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
i agree with zidane, calling someone cheap is just an easy way of letting out your annoyed anger on someone. Heh im used to it by now but before it used to really bother me!

MATTS!

Smash Ace
I think stock is the best, but playing on time is neat to. It's fun when time runs out and you go to sudden death. Also it is possible to get sudden death on stock it has happen to me a few times.

The Great MATTS!

t3h Icy

Smash Master
That's bound to be some sort of internet record. Congratulations.

Battlecow

Play to Win
What is this I don't even...

Actually, that was interesting. I didn't know that smashboards existed back then. And I mean, wow, it took two years for it to become obvious how lame time was? These are the kinds of things you never find out without MATTS!. He's like an internet archaeologist.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Necrobump is necro

Let's contribute however. I personally dislike time because it is too campy. However, I think that time might actually be a GOOD idea (as in, put the timer to 8 minutes or 10 minutes and then just play until 5 stocks are up). This could be our solution to the camping problem in many tournament matches since there isn't a timer for stock matches or at least it doesn't work online.

Lordsmash

Smash Apprentice
Woh Woh woh woh, hold on a minute here, Sense when does the Smash 64 Discussion have people who joined smash boards in "Join Date: Mar 2001"??? Wtf is going on here in this ****ing thread.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
Woh Woh woh woh, hold on a minute here, Sense when does the Smash 64 Discussion have people who joined smash boards in "Join Date: Mar 2001"??? Wtf is going on here in this ****ing thread.
I wish your mother aborted you. Seriously.

Top Bottom