• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt stick Vs Smash stick

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Hey guys I havent really touched the game in a few months and coming back to it in full force now, fox has changed up a bit since I was last playing, lots of talk of making the switch to tilt stick for PP tilts and other fun stuff.

Maybe we didn't need a new thread for this, but can we come up with a list of pro's and con's for both smash stick and tilt stick, what are the advantages (and disadvantages) of both types.
Is it strictly better at this point to change to tilt stick or are there still some things you can get with smash stick that tilt stick cant give or do as well?

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
pros of tilt:
(obviously) get to use pp tilts more effectively, which opens up some new combos(like down tilt to pp up tilt for example)
(i don't have evidence of this) i heard it is easier to autocancel short hop up airs with c stick on tilt
you dont have stupid momentum when doing short hop aerials.
smash:
running up smash is way easier
pp down smash
etc

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Tilt stick:

+ PP tilts are godlike
+ Pivot Utilt and Dtilt are easier
+ Can use it for aerials without messing up your momentum

- Can't use it for running Usmash
- No PP smashes (notably Dsmash)
- Pivot Usmash is harder

(pros/cons of smash stick are just the opposite of these)

I've been putting off switching to tilt stick for far too long, I think it's definitely worth it. It's good for MK as well (turnaround Dtilt, ezpz Uair strings etc). I'm just so used to smash stick tho. :sadeyes:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
The momentum thing only applies if you hold the direction. Idk the exact frame data on it, but as long as you're quick with flicking the stick, you're good.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah I never had a problem with the momentum thing. In the end I caved in and started using tilt stick.
Tilt stick gives you access to a cool newish tech, retreating Cbounce lasers.
With foxes speed and new laser end lag, I feel like you could build a laser camping game using this tech. Basically use your speed to create space and instantly transition into lasers. Unlike perfect pivot lasers, cbounce lasers can be done straight out of running. You cant do this with smash stick practically unless you claw.

like this http://giphy.com/gifs/l41lQ5Fa9iBtnYKNW

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Tilt stick is really good for PP tilts, which are ridiculously hard to do quickly without it. (dair > pp u-tilt is pretty good but mostly impossible without tilt stick)

Aside from that, it makes SH uair a little easier while making running JCup-smash (and up-smash OoS) a little harder. Both of those can be done reliably with either control scheme though so it's not a big deal

I think it's superior overall because you get the perfect pivot benefits and the aerial momentum thing will technically always affect your spacing a tiny bit with smash stick.
It's just annoying to get used to.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
But you could just jump-cancel up smash and it's actually better in a lot of ways

Top Bottom