• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List for Yoshi's Moves

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
(I'm TOTALLY not doing this just because everyone else is.) <_<;

Top Tier:
B-air
Jab
U-air
Up-smash

High Tier:
Pivot-grab
Egg Toss
N-air
F-tilt
D-smash

Mid Tier:
D-tilt
F-smash
U-tilt
Pummel
D-throw
Grounded Yoshi Bomb
Dash-grab
D-air

Low Tier:
B-throw
F-throw
Dash Attack
F-air
Egg Roll
Ledge-attack (-100%)
Egg Lay
Getting Up Attack (face-up)

Bottom Tier:
U-throw
Getting Up Attack (face-down)
Trip Attack
Aerial Yoshi Bomb
Ledge-attack (+100%)
Standing-grab

Questions? Comments? Suggestion? Any moves that I may have missed? :confused:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
D-Air is low?
hmm, don´t think so
please correct me if i´m wrong but if your oponnent stands on the egde, coming back with doublejumping + dair is great!
if he blocks, his shield is nearly down
if the attack hits, you can do a nair right after it...
thats just a sample^^
so imo it´s really good, at least middle

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
D-air is good, but it is also highly situational. Outside of gimping and coming back from the ledge, it doesn't have much use. You also can use it to approach and it does work on large characters rather well, though. However, it is not a move you should use very often.

I won't place it over anything else for now, but I guess I can move it to mid.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I find these lists to be extremely subjective and intrinsically flawed, but if I had to make a top tier I'd probably put F-tilt on it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, this original list is based off my opinion but is subject to change.

For example, why would you put f-tilt in top? And where?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Egg roll low tier?

it has epic speed and priorety, its like a second shield and attack in one :p

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
But... it's not fast at all. And it is easily punishable by a multitude of moves. =/

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
That's why it's low and not bottom. =P

A good question would be... "What makes Egg Roll better than the moves above it?"

JOE!

Smash Hero
by speed i meant how fast it makes you go, not to start up the attack

and the moves that punish it really only stop it, with no damage to yoshi
and the ones that hurt him between are hard to hit with when you're rolling fast, and only a few do it

D

Deleted member

Nor i. Fthrow is high tier for sure, and bthrow too, running grab is top tier =) egg toss is top tier too, uair is high tier, etc etc lol

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
If you guys want me to take your suggestions into consideration, then I'll need your reasoning as for why you want those moves to go to those placings.

Joe, yes, it is fast once it gets going, but the main problem is the start-up lag. It can hit the opponent for a surprise attack, but I wouldn't use it more than 3 times a match. =/

DeletedGod

Smash Cadet
by speed i meant how fast it makes you go, not to start up the attack

and the moves that punish it really only stop it, with no damage to yoshi
and the ones that hurt him between are hard to hit with when you're rolling fast, and only a few do it
After it stops him his has significant lag, which sets him up for anything. It has horrid priority as well. Unless you do a bouncing one, which i'm not really sure about details on that

D

Deleted member

Fthrow chain grabs at low percents, does 7%, and can help give you space or help follow up.
Bthrow for the same reason, it spaces better but doesnt cg.
Dthrow isnt very good, fthrow and bthrow are prolly better in most situations. Uair is good, but its a predictable move because...it is, its the only move that is going to be used in that situation, and its not fast enough to juggle with imo.

Egg toss is amazing, it makes yoshi an amazing camper, its too good. Pivot grab should be high tier me thinks, its good, but its hard to get top level players to actually get pivot grabbed. Against like pros and stuff, i seem to land many more running grabs than pivot grabs.

Jab is definately top tier, its fast, it can lead into grabs, you can do cool jab cancel stuff, etc.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Why did we make one? Move Tier List's are the lamest fad ever, and does afraide of everything

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Fthrow chain grabs at low percents, does 7%, and can help give you space or help follow up.
Bthrow for the same reason, it spaces better but doesnt cg.
Dthrow isnt very good, fthrow and bthrow are prolly better in most situations. Uair is good, but its a predictable move because...it is, its the only move that is going to be used in that situation, and its not fast enough to juggle with imo.

Egg toss is amazing, it makes yoshi an amazing camper, its too good. Pivot grab should be high tier me thinks, its good, but its hard to get top level players to actually get pivot grabbed. Against like pros and stuff, i seem to land many more running grabs than pivot grabs.

Jab is definately top tier, its fast, it can lead into grabs, you can do cool jab cancel stuff, etc.
D-throw is better for follow-ups. F-throw and b-throw are good, but you can't follow-up as effectively. They are good to set up edge-guarding opportunities, though. I just can't see why you'd choose those throws over a d-throw in any other situation, though.

U-air come out in five frames. How is that not fast? Plus, you obviously can't just jump up and u-air them. That's too predictable. You have to wait for the right moment. Rising u-airs are killer.

Yoshi's pivot-grab is like his own version of the shield-grab. It's quick, lagless, and has huge range to boot. I was stuck on which tier to put it though, but based on my own personal experience I seem to successfully pivot-grab a lot, so I put it in top. I may move it down, though.

Yoshi's jab is great, no doubt about it. It leads to great follow-ups and stuff (not sure how it'd lead to a grab, though). I just don't think it is better than the moves listed above it.

EDIT: Sorry, Mmac. For one thing, I didn't even know that it was a fad. It's just that like every other board has one and this one didn't, so...

Although, this thread can lead to intelligent discussion about Yoshi's moveset, so please bear with me.

Gindler

Smash Champion
After it stops him his has significant lag, which sets him up for anything. It has horrid priority as well. Unless you do a bouncing one, which i'm not really sure about details on that
Whenever I get my egg rolls stopped I have no lag and always jab immediately.

I like Egg lay way more than egg roll though. It's hard not to love mid-air "grabs"

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Oh, I missed a few attacks! =O

EDIT: Added them in.

EDIT2: Forgot the Dash Attack, too. You guys are no help at all! D:

D

Deleted member

D-throw is better for follow-ups. F-throw and b-throw are good, but you can't follow-up as effectively. They are good to set up edge-guarding opportunities, though. I just can't see why you'd choose those throws over a d-throw in any other situation, though.

U-air come out in five frames. How is that not fast? Plus, you obviously can't just jump up and u-air them. That's too predictable. You have to wait for the right moment. Rising u-airs are killer.

Yoshi's pivot-grab is like his own version of the shield-grab. It's quick, lagless, and has huge range to boot. I was stuck on which tier to put it though, but based on my own personal experience I seem to successfully pivot-grab a lot, so I put it in top. I may move it down, though.

Yoshi's jab is great, no doubt about it. It leads to great follow-ups and stuff (not sure how it'd lead to a grab, though). I just don't think it is better than the moves listed above it.

EDIT: Sorry, Mmac. For one thing, I didn't even know that it was a fad. It's just that like every other board has one and this one didn't, so...

Although, this thread can lead to intelligent discussion about Yoshi's moveset, so please bear with me.
Dthrow isnt better for follow ups, they can just airdodge down. It also does like 2% lawl.
Pivot grab is amazing, i agree, just not top. Uair is fast thats not what i meant. I mean, u cant throw out multiple of them quickly. And yes, its a predictable move, and yes it does hit, and yes i do know how to hit with it. It still isnt nearly as good as yoshis jab.

His jab eats babies, nuff said.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
They can do the same for f-throw and b-throw. It's easier for them because they are thrown more closer to the ground, too.

Yoshi's jab can't kill, though. And it doesn't necessarily combo into his other moves, even if you cancel the first jab. But it's still great because if your opponent doesn't react fast enough he'll get comboed into a Yoshi Bomb or such.

U-air is Yoshi's best kill move, it's extremely quick, it can be used for certain grab-releases, and it can "combo" into itself using the same principle of the jab.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
...I just remembered ANOTHER attack. -_-

Mmac, I already said that I need an explanation as for why a move shouldn't be where they are.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Windmill Kick animation is very quick, Disjointed, and hit both sides equally while looking awesome

Head/Tailsweep is not as quick, but has better range, and can attack almost instantly after the 2nd strike.

Also what about the Shield, Roll, Spotdodge, and Airdodge?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Dthrow isnt better for follow ups, they can just airdodge down. It also does like 2% lawl.
Pivot grab is amazing, i agree, just not top. Uair is fast thats not what i meant. I mean, u cant throw out multiple of them quickly. And yes, its a predictable move, and yes it does hit, and yes i do know how to hit with it. It still isnt nearly as good as yoshis jab.

His jab eats babies, nuff said.
Usually Dthrow they have two options, they can airdodge immediately to avoid a fast SHUair (5 frames is it? idk doesn't matter). usually when they do this I'll do a grounded DownB when they land/come out of their AD. So it allows for more stuff than the F/Bthrows.

Jab pwns face, it's easilly one of yoshi's best attacks. Only time I like Uair more than jab is against ROBs since they're easily juggled from below, other than that though Jab no doubtly outranks it.

They can do the same for f-throw and b-throw. It's easier for them because they are thrown more closer to the ground, too.

Yoshi's jab can't kill, though. And it doesn't necessarily combo into his other moves, even if you cancel the first jab. But it's still great because if your opponent doesn't react fast enough he'll get comboed into a Yoshi Bomb or such.

U-air is Yoshi's best kill move, it's extremely quick, it can be used for certain grab-releases, and it can "combo" into itself using the same principle of the jab.
I've killed with yoshi's jab when fresh, 150% MK on the edge of FD (doubles and his last stock so we were toying with him)

D

Deleted member

It cant combo into itself.
Fthrow and bthrow are mostly for spacing and damage. Jab isnt a kill move, and i wasnt talking about standard jab to down b and stuff like that. Jabs have lots of other neat tricks you can do with jab cancels too(ill keep them hidden for now muahahha :laugh:)

Uair is goood, its a predictable move though, and yoshi isnt a good juggling character.

This thread sucks.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Egg Roll should be lower, and dair higher. Good list overall.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Oh, Mmac! I forgot that there are three getting up attacks. I better add them all in... (I was thinking of the trip attack).

Anyways, since you guys are so persistent about Yoshi's jab, then I guess I haven't given it enough credit. (Please tell us your secrets, Socks! D: )

I put "combo" in quotations for a reason. You can do a SH u-air, followed by a rising u-air, then another u-air if your opponent doesn't react fast enough. Of course it isn't a true combo.

And this thread does not suck! *throws Socks out of a window*

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
Fair in low?, sure its slow as heck but its got a great knockback and has the chance to meteor smash which is an ingrediant in a grab release spike against meta knight and falco. i dont know, i really like the fair personally. and ive gotten to the point where i can use a rising fair and get a meteor smash every time :) which is really helpfull. IMO its should be atleast mid tier, just because if you miss the meteor smash, you get a good knockback move that can kill anyway, also its included in the grab release spike which is the reason we have "good" matchups against falco and metaknight.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Here is my tier list IMO

top tier

pink yoshi to start lol
U-air
Egg toss
Bair
Pivot grab
Fsmash

High tier
Jab
Nair
Grounded Down b
Fair
U tilt

Mid
D tilt
Dsmash
Upsmash
Dair
Ftilt
Dash grab

Low
aerial down b
Egg roll
Egg lay

Bottom
yoshi's shield

This is based entirely on MY play style and I did not include throws

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
ArowYoshi, f-air would be in high if it was just a little bit faster. It's start-up lag is just too great. Also, it has awful aerial priority (or reach, but whatever...).

lilb, I'd rather not have a whole bunch of tier lists in this topic because it would get confusing. We should all focus on one and try to improve on it. @_@

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well here is my tier list IMO

top tier

Bair
Jab
Ftilt
Pivot grab
Uair

High tier
Usmash
Nair
Egg Toss
Fair
Dsmash

Mid
Fsmash
Egg Lay
Grounded Yoshi bomb
Dtilt
Dash
Dair

Low
D/f/b throws
Utilt
aerial down b
Egg roll
Uthrow

Bottom
R button

This is based entirely on MY play style and I borrwed the fonts from lilb...I think I need MOAR eggs

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
No, don't create your own tier lists, people! D:

I've said it before, we should only focus on one list and try to improve it. If we have more than one we'll just be clashing ideas without actually getting anywhere.

I'm going to bed... *insert Mmac's sleeping Yoshi sprite but in green color*

Top Bottom