• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Throw to rest combo problems.

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
Mario and Yoshi. I am having extreme difficulty getting of a throw to rest combo on these two characters. Mario ALWAYS recovers before I can get to him and will kick me. I have yet to get one off on him at all. And Yoshi I simply miss inexplicably. I can get to him in plenty of time but for some reason I cant explain It just misses. I can only land it about 5% of the time. I've never had this much trouble landing it on others or if I did I was able to correct it through just practicing. This seems to be something specific to Yoshi. Messed up hit boxes on his stunned animation?

A couple other characters that I wanted to combo were Samus and Sheik. Samus even with down throw a 0% simply flies too far away and I can never reach her. Is it simply not possible with her? Sheik I've had varying degrees of success. Down throwing at higher % and up throw and low %, I got that much. But a lot of times she is able to recover quickly and attacks me, but no where near as much as Mario, which is 100% of the time. Any tips for these two?

Fox, Falco, Marth, Falcon, Gannon, DK & Bowser I can pretty much nail with impunity. The other three Pokemon are a bit trickier. They appear have very narrow % windows. To low and they don't die, to high and they fly too far to reach with a rest. And I don't get a chance to fight many others characters beside those, don't know people who play them often.

Ame$

Smash Apprentice
lol upthrow rest only works on fox and falco , downthrow rest works only at opponents who dosen´t know to di . But most of the time even noobs di out of your downtrhows

have a nice day .

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
don't rely on throws to do the rest for you. After a missed U+B onto the stage or otherwise missed or dodged grab you should have a place to rest.
Yoshi, if on the ground, you can Dair-Lcancel>Rest at any precentage over 30%
Mewtwo is pretty easy to rest since he is huge and you can just land by him and rest almost. Pikachu and Pichu are just annoying and can be batted away.
Sheik is just like MArth really, let them make the mistake of attacking you with the charge attack and you will CC and Rest. I do think that at lower percentages if you must grab a D-throw to an air pound, while holding back and down after you pound, can lead to a rest but that is with surprize and no Di-ing.

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
lol upthrow rest only works on fox and falco , downthrow rest works only at opponents who dosen´t know to di . But most of the time even noobs di out of your downtrhows

have a nice day .
Yeah but does anyone other than the pros honestly DI? It takes insane reflexes. I've only ever done it once, and that was by accident.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
actually most people that play competitively DI somewhat at least, and especailly for attacks like the dthrow that you know are going to happen for quite awhile beforehand (they get, what, a full second or more to DI after you begin the throw?).

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
The throw-to-rest doesnt even work on fastfallers if they can DI out of it.

And it's not hard at all, you just have to give any hint to them that you're looking to throw and they'll probably be ready for it.

I secondary falco, and I really dont have a problem going against jiggs anywhere cause I know as long as i see a throw coming, i hold away from jiggs so i dont get throw-to-rest'd.

On the other end, I mess around with jiggs quite often, so i know that shieldgrabs look blaringly obvious to fast fallers. So I have to get other grabs.

Just like Dr. Hyde said, dont rely on up-throw rest. It's nice to have and know, but even though I dont play jiggs, i know for a fact it is NOT jiggs' bread-and-butter.

Sliq

Smash Master
Yeah but does anyone other than the pros honestly DI? It takes insane reflexes. I've only ever done it once, and that was by accident.
You sir are highly mistaken. I'm not even super-good and I DI. You might be confusing DI with smash DI, or you are just making DI out to be something hard. Trust me. All of the Pros DI, and anyone hwo plays sompetitively DI's, albeit they might DI wrong more often then the pros.

All you have to do to DI a throw is hold a direction. The u-throw rest works against space animals because if they don't DI, their stun animation lasts long enough for you to jump rest. They don't DI because you got off a surprise grab, and the u-throw comes out so fast they can't react in time. However, if you telegraph it, you won't get the rest. You can u-throw Cpt. Falcon, but he can break out of it, which usually makes it a good idea to up air them, hopefully stealing their second jump, leaving them helpless for a rest.

You can get in rest against other character if you're smart about ot (i.e ducking a grab, air dodging through a Marth forward smash, predicting a ledge tech). Down throw rest only works if you're opponent doesn't DI, and since the throw animation for down throw is so long, the only way they could miss the DI is if they don't know which way to DI, or if they don't know how to DI (which means you should be stomping them anyways). DI is easy to do. You just hold a direction. It gets trickier when opponents throw out quick moves. But once you play enough you start to predict what they'll hit you with, which will let you know which way to DI (i.e. Di the way a fox is facing, because they up smash you).

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If you can really nail those throw to rest combos then your opponents must not know what DI is. Against a skilled player, up throw to rest on space animals are the only thing that MIGHT work. Uptilt to rest is a much easier combo to pull off..

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
If you can really nail those throw to rest combos then your opponents must not know what DI is. Against a skilled player, up throw to rest on space animals are the only thing that MIGHT work. Uptilt to rest is a much easier combo to pull off..
I cant Utilt people though. Its way harder to do than a grab. First off Utilt in general is hard to do, either end up doing a Usmash or a Jump(whishes he could disable stick jumping). And Jiggs in particular has such short range on it.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
jiggs uptilt is actually bigger than you think, also dont bring the analog stick all the way up when you do it, thats why you end up upsmashing, and press a while you move it to prevent jumping.
just practice a little bit.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
The utilt is harder to do and doesn't land very often, but you shouldn't be relying on rest for kills anyways.

Sliq

Smash Master
After a while, it isn't that the up tilt is hard to do, it just has a lot of start up time.

Top Bottom