• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Throw Hitboxes that Blow-up Grenades

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I was pondering this the other day when was being chaingrab ***** by my friends Falco. I shield dropped a grenade in attempt to end the chaingrab. It worked, but then I thought what throws have hittboxes close enough to the ground that when they do the throw it will blow up the grenade, thus freeing Snake. So I went and tested and this is what I got:

:bowser2:
-d-throw

:falco:
-d-throw

:fox:
-d-throw

:gw:
-pummel

:popo:
-pummel (or Nana will pick up nade...)

:jigglypuff:
-pummel
-d-throw
-f-throw
-(jiggz was acting really weird on me. Sometimes every throw would blow up the nade and other times only a couple would work. I think my controller was pummeling when it wasnt supposed to... but those three for sure work.)
-f-throw

:dedede:
-d-throw

:kirby2:
-d-throw
-up-throw

:lucas:
-d-throw

:luigi2:
-b-throw

:mario2:
-b-throw

:metaknight:
-f-throw
-(you would think u-throw since its almost the same as Kirby's but no, didnt work. Prolly because kirby as an explosion with his)

:olimar: (I took all colors into account)
-pummel
-d-throw
-u-throw (Only with red pikmin)

:peach:
-pummel (yes I am doing pummel/grab attack too)

:pikachu2:
-pummel
-d-throw

:shiek:
-f-throw

:squirtle:
-d-throw

:toonlink:
-d-throw

:wario:
-pummel
-d-throw

:zelda:
-d-throw

Characters not mentioned have none that work.

The way I tested was was I would have Snake face away from the character and shield drop a grenade, then have the character grab and do a throw. I would repeat that for every single throw and pummel. Some cases I would have Snake face the character and soft throw a grenade so it would be right under the character.

Well there you have it.

I mostly did this to try to find that one character that no matter what throw they did it would backfire on them, but sadly that didnt happen. Still kindof neat though. Anyway tell me what you think or if you notice any mistakes. :]

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Why didn't I ever think of this? (or ask for it to be tested.. I've been wondering this as well)

I love you for doing this.

EDIT:

I'm almost sure Ness's dthrow would blow up a 'nade :o....

EDIT:

To make it easier to read, use CAPS for names (Snake, not snake; etc) and get rid of ALL characters with "nothing" and just state "Characters not mentioned have no grab or pummel that will blow up a grenade"

EDIT:

Falco Dthrow DOES blow up the 'nade... its how we get out of it...

EDIT:

Face towards the opponent and be grabbed.... thats probably why a lot of your data is weird.. you were facing away

Tub

Smash Apprentice
very nice! (although, the falco data made me sad-face) still good to know that d3's d-throw will set it off, also, a question: which throw does pik-achoo use for CG's?

EDIT: man, Havokk posts fast!
(or i type really slow)

SuSa

very nice! (although, the falco data made me sad-face) still good to know that d3's d-throw will set it off, also, a question: which throw does pik-achoo use for CG's?
Both dthrow and fthrow, however dthrow is used for the newer CG's.

Falco's Dthrow WILL blow up the grenade..... it's how we escape his CG.

I'm sure much of this data is incorrect (like above example) however if it blew it up - thats correct.

But I think theres things he only partly tested, or tested incorrectly and couldn't get it to blow up.

EDIT:

Fairly certain Sonic's dthrow would also blow up the grenade

Tub

Smash Apprentice
question for spudzalot: i've been meaning to test which attacks blow up nades, did you notice any patterns while doing this?

SuSa

Physical attacks generally blow up grenades, unless they have momentum which in case they stop.

Also it seems projectiles can blow up grenades, but not sure on how that works out... it may be % based...

Tub

Smash Apprentice
i was also thinking % based (since cypher super-armor is) also thought that maybe fire-based attacks had something to do with it (obviously wrong) but... let check %'s again, it makes alot of sense... (then again, a mine at 16% will blow it up, and snakes f-smash at 32% will not.) maybe its the oppisite of the cypher, and lower %'s work up untill a certain #...

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
question for spudzalot: i've been meaning to test which attacks blow up nades, did you notice any patterns while doing this?
Some grabs are really weird in that they just do damage, there isnt really a hitbox. Like Snakes downthrow. So, I didnt really notice any patterns, sorry.

Also Havokk if anything looked suspicious I tested multiple times in multiple ways. I tried Sonic'd d-throw a couple of times and never got it to blow up a nade. I only spent about an hour and a half maybe testing all of this so some of it could be wrong.

Also I edited the first post with your advice. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Im thinking the reason I screwed up Falco's data is because I was testing just grounded nades. So, if you pull out a grenade during the chaingrab it would be in the air and the throw hitbox is probably in the air too.

SuSa

Much, much better organized now. :)

Nice testing, but I'd really like if someone could retest those weird throws... (Sonic/Ness dthrows)

(I suggest adding the icons near names for those visual people.. :snake: for example)

It's normally just : name : with no spaces

:pikachu2:

Some require a 2 after the name to be the Brawl icon.

(Also ABC order would be nice, if you don't mind)

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Faces added. :D

:snake:

I am not in the mood to do alphabetical order or any other organizing right now. I have homework anyway. But I will get to it tomorrow.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
The data for sonic's, and ness' d-throws were correct, apparently some throws just dont have hitboxes. (or maybe they're just very small)

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Alphabatized. :)

I think Im going to do the same thing for the tactical discussion thread and just figure out which throws have hitboxes and which ones dont. That would be pretty useful in teams knowing what throws would have a hitbox that could possibly protect you during the animation.

Back when I used Yoshi it was fun to grab somebody start chewing on them, then if someone got close enough you could chew them from the outside! Does anyone else think that this could be useful?

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Like we have said. Some throws just dont have hit boxes, they really look like they do, but some just dont. Or they are to small to blow up a grounded grenade.

SuSa

Test grabbing Snake WHILE he's holding a grenade and testing the throws (QUICKLY)

Because if Falco's can PAUSE when we drop the grenade and dthrow us to avoid the explosion...we just got hosed... by ourselves.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Test grabbing Snake WHILE he's holding a grenade and testing the throws (QUICKLY)

Because if Falco's can PAUSE when we drop the grenade and dthrow us to avoid the explosion...we just got hosed... by ourselves.
K ill test that as soon as I can.
yes both do they should be added
Did you actually test this? Because I couldnt get it to work. I'll retry it next time I test.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
All of MK's throws, except Uthrow, and his pummel will blow up grenades. But they are all spacing dependent. Depending on where/how he grabs you, he may be too close to a grenade to do any of his throws or something like that. His safest options against the nade are Uthrow, followed by Fthrow.

This is entirely based on experience, as I've seen these happen before quite often.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure, because nades blowing up in 3 seconds, and nades blowing up due to hitboxes look exactly the same.

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic's uthrow blows them up... but theres some sort of controller priority or SOMETHING which can cause the explosion not to hurt sonic. his spines are invincible during uthrow, if the nade blows up above sonics body, he wont be hurt. idk for sure though

Tub

Smash Apprentice
Trust the testers!! As much as it may LOOK like it, some throws simply have hitboxes that are much too small to blow up a nade (or none whatsoever)

Top Bottom