• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

throw.dair spamming Ness

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been playing a Ness player who does pretty much nothing but spam dair for combos and grab/throw --> dair for a finisher. I main Yoshi and Captain Falcon. What are my options for stopping him?(Ness's aerials have too much priority....) Thanks.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I don't use Yoshi so I'm not sure if this will work, but when he is above you, getting ready to dair, try to DJC uair, since yoshi is invulnerable in his double jump. At the least you will tie.
With falcon, use pivot fsmash or pivot usmash. Like dash out of the way of his dair, then dash back and usmash or fthrow -> uair and start a combo.

Also, use kirby and use utilt, it has even higher priority than ness' aerials.

EDIT: Also, remember to tech roll when he dairs you, otherwise you will bounce off the ground and be vulnerable to another dair.

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Also, remember to tech roll when he dairs you, otherwise you will bounce off the ground and be vulnerable to another dair.

Do that. Also as flacon you gotta out throw him. Get that forward throw in and punish him with crazy combos. Stay away from the edge with him as his throws will throw you very far. Learn to predict his dair spike when you are recovering, and change up your recovering pattern. As yoshi, always keep moving. DJC nairs like a mofo, and utilt when you think he's going for the dair.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I main Yoshi too. My biggest problem with Ness is when they get uptilt happy. For whatever reason Ness' uptilt beats all of Yoshi's aerials.

Anyway what I do is use Yoshi's neutral b a lot. It has enough range to keep me safe from the uptilt, annoys the **** out of them, and can rack up a lot of damage. It basically forces them to change their playstyle and approach.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Use mario and spam fireballs over him, works so well agaisnt ness

OR

Use falcon and use up smash to counter his dair and then combo him

both of them work well

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Pivot F-Smash for Falcon. His leg is really long :D
Or just keep him in a combo. F-Air works wonders.

For Yoshi, pivot F-Smash is also an option. I would personally space a little and start approaches with DJC, but my Yoshi isn't exactly great.

D

Deleted member

bait them into doing an up-tilt, run in and punish. 85% of bad nesses will up-tilt if you do an aerial and land next to them

if they down-air spam for no reason just punish them as soon as they land

and don't up-tilt with yoshi against ness unless you want your head stomped in, very risky

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
bait them into doing an up-tilt, run in and punish. 85% of bad nesses will up-tilt if you do an aerial and land next to them
True that, empty shorthops also mindf**k bad ness players. I have a whole strategy around it with falcon, but when I play a good ness player I get pretty badly owned, since most ness players I play are online and suck.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Ness's utilt is so overrated.

DJC uairs are where it's at. Land one, and then you can utilt, or do more uairs if you wish. 3 consecutive DJC uairs is so easy to land on someone like Falcon.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ness's utilt is so overrated.

DJC uairs are where it's at. Land one, and then you can utilt, or do more uairs if you wish. 3 consecutive DJC uairs is so easy to land on someone like Falcon.
Yeah, perfect DJC uair spam is totally broken. If you can do it fast enough (I mean, impossibly fast) you would hardly lose

Superstar

Smash Champion
That, and you get a lot of mobility with it. The main problem with utilt is lack of mobility, but with DJC uairs, Ness has a...decent...approach.

And it combos even better. utilt is just easy to do and lasts long.

Superstar

Smash Champion
And if Ness was just coming toward you with utilts constantly I think you'd laugh and Fsmash them the same.

Obviously you don't spam uairs.

Top Bottom