• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the taint of non-nintendo only characters...

Phil Ashio

Smash Cadet
I really don't know how to take it...I mean Snake is awesome and all. Some people I know are just pissed off about the whole situation of these "front running characters." They weren't here for the whole ride of nintendo or something like that. Thoughts...

Don't bite my head off either if this was already discussed. I did not want to look for it through the archives.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Snake got in because Kojima wanted him in, everyone else has to deal with it. Plus, both MGS and MGS2 were on the NES

the criteria for the other entries is that they must originate from a game, and that they have been on a Nintendo Console. All of the characters that made sense have either been w/ Nintendo since the NES, or been rivals w/ Nintendo since the beginning of time.

so it's not exacltly a taint, either. YOur title's a bit of flamebait there, buddy

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
They weren't here for the whole ride of nintendo or something like that.
If we're basing characters on whether they've been around since the beginning of Nintendo, that pretty well rules out all Pokemon.

Snake got in because Kojima wanted him in, everyone else has to deal with it. Plus, both MGS and MGS2 were on the NES
Just for a little clarification, Solid Snake is in Brawl because Kojima asked and Nintendo wanted him in. Just because Kojima wants Snake in a Nintendo game doesn't automatically make it happen. It's Nintendo's choice.

Also, MGS was for Playstation and MGS2 was for PS2. Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 were the games on NES. It may seem like picky thing to point out, but they are different games, each with their own importance and impact that shouldn't be confused.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I see no problem with third party characters. More cool characters = Good so far as I'm concerned. Besides, there are only so many good Nintendo characters left. Most of the major video game stars not yet in smash bros are non-Nintendo at this point.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i fully support the idea of third party characters. many of the greatest characters come from other companies, and inclusion in smash would give a fan boy's fantasy come to life

Metaknightvision

Smash Cadet
As someone has stated, theres only so far Nintendo can go with bringing their own characters into it. As mentioned in other threads, not EVERY nintendo character would work e.g. in my opinion characters like tingle, slippy, andross, Nook etc, jsut AREN'T brawl (well.. smash bros. material) - though thats my opinion. So yeah, i agree to Third party characters, because otherwise Nintendo will be making 6 years worth of new characters to involve into the next smash bros game, which IMO, would be cheesy :p

So yeah! I support Third Party Characters. Snake i buzzed over for the first 2-3 days of being revealed. Then i wasn't so sure. However now im optimistic :)

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
As someone has stated, theres only so far Nintendo can go with bringing their own characters into it. As mentioned in other threads, not EVERY nintendo character would work e.g. in my opinion characters like tingle, slippy, andross, Nook etc, jsut AREN'T brawl (well.. smash bros. material) - though thats my opinion. So yeah, i agree to Third party characters, because otherwise Nintendo will be making 6 years worth of new characters to involve into the next smash bros game, which IMO, would be cheesy :p

So yeah! I support Third Party Characters. Snake i buzzed over for the first 2-3 days of being revealed. Then i wasn't so sure. However now im optimistic :)
That's just plain silly. Who ever thought of Capt. Falcon as a fighter before SSB? Nobody that's who. In fact, most didn't even know who he was. Now F-Zero games are fairly popular by comparison to before.

3rd party characters are lame. If there is to be a conglomeration of characters from every realm then make a new game. I think Phil meant that Nintendo original characters should only be in SSB games. I agree with that.

This game alone has excited people about Nintendo games from the past more than any other single outlet before. It should continue as such.

Metaknightvision

Smash Cadet
Hows it silly if its just my opinion? And Maybe people didnt see Falcon as a fighter before SSB, but if you gave a stranger who atleast heard of both.. hmm. Falcon and tingle/slippy/andross/nook, they would be most likely to choose Falcon as the type to be more of a fighter :s And having third party characters from previous (or current?) Nintendo Consoles is still boosting the excitement of not just Nintendo games, but more the Nintendo console past in my opinion. Im sure Nintendo don't just want the Nes, Snes, N64 or Gamecube to be known for their own games, but all the great games, whether 1st or 3rd party, and i see Nintendo giving some of those third party characters a chance to shine in Brawl/future SSB games recognition of the fact they helped make their consoles shine

Topaz989

Smash Cadet
I will be a little peeved if they pick a third party character over a good nintendo one (example: Cloud over Little Mac). Nintendo has hundreds of characters and right now, they only have like thirty or forty. Shoot, if Nintendo wanted to, they could make a SSB'esque game with only Pokemon characters and it would work.

There's only one 3rd party character whom I think deserves to be in Smash: Megaman. I mean, he's basically the only major one that is on every Nintendo platform.

Snake is okay with me though.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Ness.
Game & Watch.
Ice climbers.
Jigglypuff.
Pit.

How could anyone say Tingle/Slippy/Nook aren't SSB material. I'm sure the first thing you thought when melee came out was "The possability of Game & Watch being in this game is over 75%." Now this isn't flaming you in general, it's just that I'm sick of people saying character X is not gonna be in brawl because that character is cartoony and could never have a move set.

Back to the topic, I'm all for 3rd party characters. The thing is, Nintendo is going to be very selective of who they put in, based on artistic personality. Nintendo makes a different level of games than most other developers. Nintendo makes art. Films can be art, why not video games I say. I think that's how Nintedno looks at it. When they put a lot of time and effort into a game, they want the end result to be art. That's why Nintendo isn't gonna pick the coolest 3rd party characters for brawl. They could easily put Master cheif and the dude from GTA in there if they wanted to, but those characters don't even come close to what this game represents. Nintendo knows what it's doing. If there are any mistakes made in the roster (there won't be, it's Nintendo) it definitly won't be what 3rd party characters they choose. Unless they don't have Cyan.........

Metaknightvision

Smash Cadet
Not once did i say X character wouldn't be in brawl :p Im thinking of it with an open mind, however i DO think Nintendo would be more likely to pick some characters over other characters. I'll be happy with who they brought out. Hell if they just shot the Melee characters in but spruced up + all teh characters they've shown so far i'd be happy. Im simply saying if you gave a stranger who knows of the characters but not alot of Nintendo's history, they'd choose someone like Falcon over Tingle. Its just how i see it. In no way did i say "they wont be in brawl" :) Some people just 'suit' the role i reckon abit better. Or even if they don't, if tingle does appear in Brawl, i won't moan, ill try him out, he'll probably grow on me. Or even if he doesn't i'll still remember him as one of the brawl roster etc.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Not to be mean, but read the post. I said I'm tired of people saying character x won't be in brawl, and that is why I seemed to flame your comment about not being brawl material :p I am a big fan of your open mind attitude. More people should be like you :D

Metaknightvision

Smash Cadet
Haha touché! :p And thanks, and sorry lawl XD
Maybe i was just reading what i wanted to hear ^_^ lol! flame meeee! :p

But yeah, either way, theres obviously characters people want in bralw which differ, however i'd be happy with anything at the moment. the four longest days of my life right now. Trying to grasp anything to feed on til monday, such as music from nintendo games, or even fake rumors to feed on :p

Phil Ashio

Smash Cadet
I dunno...I agree with Buttcrust on the Smash List being only for nintendo only platform characters. I guess it puts nintendo in a bind though. They want this game to appeal to hard core nintendo character fans such as myself and Butt, but they also want to appeal to their new audiences who wouldn't really give two craps about what the character's platform origins are.

True though, if I did not know the history of Smash and I just picked up the Brawl game, I probably, like anyone else, choose a character like Snake first over someone like Pichu. I really would not care as long as I think the game is entertaining.

Sadly though, I would trade Peppy Hare for Snake anyday. Hell, put the whole Star Fox team on their. I can just picture it now. Peppy shouting "Do a Barrel Roll!" for his taunt. Classic!!!

Nintendo knows what they are doing,

Fawriel

Smash Master
The thing is, Nintendo is going to be very selective of who they put in, based on artistic personality.
FRIEND! *HUGS*

...*ahem*

..I agree.

I don't have much of an opinion on third-party characters. I kind of find the notion of them kind of depressing for some inexplicable reason, but if the choices they make for them are good ( no Pacman! ), then I'll be fine. Sad that only the big boys from other firms will be allowed in, though. Everybody who's asked to have a representative will be like "OHMYGOD TAKE (superpopularcharacter)". I usually don't like superpopularcharacters.
But in the end, it's good for Nintendo. Having another firm's character in Brawl is kinda like saying: "Wii own you. Literally."

Tera253

Smash Ace
FRIEND! *HUGS*

...*ahem*

..I agree.

I don't have much of an opinion on third-party characters. I kind of find the notion of them kind of depressing for some inexplicable reason, but if the choices they make for them are good ( no Pacman! ), then I'll be fine. Sad that only the big boys from other firms will be allowed in, though. Everybody who's asked to have a representative will be like "OHMYGOD TAKE (superpopularcharacter)". I usually don't like superpopularcharacters.
But in the end, it's good for Nintendo. Having another firm's character in Brawl is kinda like saying: "Wii own you. Literally."

FRIEND!! *hugs*

~Tera253~

Saimdusan

Smash Apprentice
I am slightly upset that 3rd party characters might take the place of Golden Sun/Drill Dozer/Advance Wars/etc., but I am not too upset.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see no problem with third party characters. More cool characters = Good so far as I'm concerned. Besides, there are only so many good Nintendo characters left. Most of the major video game stars not yet in smash bros are non-Nintendo at this point.
i'm sorry that just seems like an ignorant thing to say.

Nintendo has thousands of characters at it's disposal, and I think we're forgetting the basis of the game.

Nintendo's Allstars in a fighting game.

And I will not deny how much I would love to see Mario, Sonic, Cloud, and Master Chief just tear each other apart, I have to say this is a nintendo game, with nintendo mascots. Snake's addition is a popular one, and I don't disagree with it, but unless the premise is changed to

Awsome Video Game Characters in a fighting game

then there's just not much more I believe they should do with it aside from the addition of Nintendo characters, with the except of a select few.

Phil Ashio

Smash Cadet
Very well said...I agree. I'm like Rainman; I cannot handle change that well.

"Yeeaah, K-mart..K-mart sucks!"

Zeela12

Smash Ace
It's good to add in 3rd party charters, this will let non-nintendo fans like nintendo better, and then nintendo will flourish, then all will be owned by nintendo.

and to the 3rd party companies, they take this as an advirtisement for their company (which is true) so it works well for all of us.

plus, Nintendo is running out of charaters anyways, good ones at least, I'd rather have Sora from kingdom hearts or Sonic than Pichu.

D

Deleted member

Meh.

Anyone but Cloud/Sephiroth. In theory, anyone could be in Brawl, but its a Nintendo game, not a random fighter.

You want free-for-alls? Play mugen.

The way I see it,after seeing so much of Snake in action,and in general establishing a connection to Nintendo,I feel that no more 3rd party characters need to be added to the game,Snake fits in like a glove.

And when I say no more I mean it,not even Sonic.It would actually feel more out of place with him in there IMO.I know people want the whole"Mario vs. Sonic" experience,but sibling rivalries have been more...well..extinguished.

I really don't feel for that fight anymore,I just want more Nintendo characters.

@Zeela: You think Nintendo is running out of characters? You must not know Nintendo then. ; )

Fawriel

Smash Master
It's arguable that Snake fits in like a glove...
But I know that NiGHTS and Klonoa, for example, definitely would.

...or Terra. >_> <_<

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's good to add in 3rd party charters, this will let non-nintendo fans like nintendo better, and then nintendo will flourish, then all will be owned by nintendo.

and to the 3rd party companies, they take this as an advirtisement for their company (which is true) so it works well for all of us.

plus, Nintendo is running out of charaters anyways, good ones at least, I'd rather have Sora from kingdom hearts or Sonic than Pichu.

seriously? I mean i've already touched on this, but aside from the 400 other pokemon that could be in this game, and the wide range of mario series characters that have been appearing in and out of his games for years, along with the DK related characters Nintendo bought from rare, not to mention any of the allies or foes of the Zelda games, we still could obtain characters from Star Fox, F-Zero, Kirby, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, or Metroid franchises, and just about any charcter from any of the other hundreds of franchises that Nintendo owns.

Running out of characters(good bad or whatever) isnt a problem. the issue is whether or not Nintendo is making this a Nintendo fighting game or a game for all video game characters.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I like the pic in your sig Fawriel.

On topic though, Third party characters add a little spice to the superb dish that Smash Brothers. Nintendo Characters are the main course and will always be, but Third party character will most likely (and should) always be whats used to "Kick it up a notch" *laugh*

SmashYou6666

Banned via Administration
I like the pic in your sig Fawriel.

On topic though, Third party characters add a little spice to the superb dish that Smash Brothers. Nintendo Characters are the main course and will always be, but Third party character will most likely (and should) always be whats used to "Kick it up a notch" *laugh*
Maybe for you. Not everyone shares your opinion.

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
While I do believe that the game should be mostly Nintendo characters, I see no problem with 2-5 third-party characters at all.

I also believe that Snake is only in this game because his immense amount of awesomeness(and the mullet) allows him to transcend time and space, thus making Nintendo put him in the game.

Top Bottom