• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on tap jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbamaral

Smash Rookie
NNID
jcb.amaral
Hello, guys, I'm a newcomer to the smashboards, looking into improving at this game that I love so much. I have this doubt: what do you guys think about tap jump? I used to think it was not good, as it was hard for me to pull off u-tilts, but it's nearly impossible to use the right stick of the gamepad to use aerials with the tap jump turned off. Maybe I'm just using the wrong controller haha

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, maybe you are using a wrong controller, for most Smashers we don't recommend the use of Wii U gamepad.
However, perhaps you can cancel tap jump and try to get used to pressing button jump. It will take you a while to get used to button jump.

Last edited:

jcbamaral

Smash Rookie
NNID
jcb.amaral
Actually, I'm already button jumping because of u-tilts, but anyway, I have no other choice but to use it while I don't have a gc controller/adapter. It's just so freaking hard to find those in Brazil D:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Actually, I'm already button jumping because of u-tilts, but anyway, I have no other choice but to use it while I don't have a gc controller/adapter. It's just so freaking hard to find those in Brazil D:
Oh... that's harsh...
Even so, I bet you will still get good in Smash, it's just that you might not do up tilt properly.
Or what about Wii U pro controller? Does that work?

jcbamaral

Smash Rookie
NNID
jcb.amaral
Oh... that's harsh...
Even so, I bet you will still get good in Smash, it's just that you might not do up tilt properly.
Or what about Wii U pro controller? Does that work?
It's easier to find, maybe I will get one of these, I've read in another thread here that it's quite good as well

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It's easier to find, maybe I will get one of these, I've read in another thread here that it's quite good as well
Then go and get one.
I hope I can have enough money to buy a GC adapter after I buy Wii U...

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I keep tap jump because of upB out of shield.
For Bowser and Link, this is almost a necessity.
Really? I do found tap jump very useful sometimes.

SoulOfKhaos

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoulKhaos
Like PCHU said, I keep tap jump on for Up smash and Up B out of shield. I t beats shield grabbing sometimes and can get you some kills.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I have mine specifically turned off for Up Tilts. Not to mention it allows me to use Zeldas UP B a lot easier/more precisely without accidentally jumping in the process. It hurts my ability to jump with Kirby and Dededes Hammer and makes it slightly harder to use Mr. Game & Watch's Final Smash; however I survive just fine without it.

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
I have mine specifically turned off for Up Tilts. Not to mention it allows me to use Zeldas UP B a lot easier/more precisely without accidentally jumping in the process. It hurts my ability to jump with Kirby and Dededes Hammer and makes it slightly harder to use Mr. Game & Watch's Final Smash; however I survive just fine without it.
Basically the bolded.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I only use it because I've been using since I was a kid. I've developed my use of button jump for shffling and wavedashing (in Melee) but any time I'm doing aerials or recovering, I use tap. Whatever works really. I'm still bad at tilts but I feel it will be more of a detriment to stop using it at this point. Tap jump is also good if you ever play puff.

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I self destructed too much because I wasted my second Jump while doing up air with some character. Mewtwo is notable for auto jumping while up air ing if you use your tap jump.

So I always turn it off. One of my friend though swears by it and never uses x and y. It baffles me.

jcbamaral

Smash Rookie
NNID
jcb.amaral
I play puff with tap jump turned off and it seems just fine for me, it seems so natural to fast hop and fair using x and a quickly or using it to nair. Maybe in other situations like gimping or comboing tap jumping is a better choice. I will practice using tap and "c" stick for aerials and see what suits me better.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I cannot stand tap jump and do no know why people would ever want it on. I just can't do u-tilts with it on.

Probably because I'm an aggressive button presser.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
The age old question. The keyword is preference.

You can still do most if not all techniques with either setups. Some get harder and some get easier. The important thing is that YOU are in full control of your character. I tried tap jump off and it just wasn't for me. Years and years of tap jump on with full control of my play is fine with me.

Edit: And in public games I don't have to use a tag. Adds to the mystery for when I stomp you.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I've never had an issue button-jumping and also using the C-stick to aerial. It's a matter of reflex.

I could easily see the Gamepad being worse for it, though, but then again, that's largely my muscle memory finding it impossible to move my thumb up for the C-stick equivalent.

Hello, guys, I'm a newcomer to the smashboards, looking into improving at this game that I love so much. I have this doubt: what do you guys think about tap jump? I used to think it was not good, as it was hard for me to pull off u-tilts, but it's nearly impossible to use the right stick of the gamepad to use aerials with the tap jump turned off. Maybe I'm just using the wrong controller haha
I know a person in melee who uses nothing except tap jump to perform EVERYTHING as a fox player. He occasionally messes up, but does it rather well.

My opinion is that tap jump on is really no barrier at all. There are strategical benefits to turning it off. For one, it removes any possibility of error on manual input of Uair or Utilt or Usmash by jumping. There is however benefits to simply using it to better input stuff from shield and possible faster method on other things. I used tap jump off to acquire a very successful method of sheik's DACUS which was difficult to pull off for many for a long time by abusing dashing by pressing into the corner and allowing myself the prefect position to be in for an Usmash input as well.

Anyway, my point is use whatever ends up allowing you to preform with the least difficulties. But, keep the option open that tap jump might be something useful in future to make a technical input easier.

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
I like tap jump for more control over certain things. Being a Bowser/Dedede main, tap jump shifts really well for down-angled aerial Gordos, or with Bowser's short hop aerials or Up-B out of shield.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
i always used tap jump it is just so convenient in my opinion since the stick is right there and is easy to use. I've used tap jump since melee since it was what i used for my first ump in that game so i kinda have a bond with tap jump:GCU: lol

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
No. I already forget to even change my character custome though, so remembering to change my name would be even worse. I just ignore it.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
I've been using tap jump since the beginning, so it's really hard to not have it. If you're very good with intricate stick control, you'll be fine with it. Honestly though, if you're starting out it might be best to get used to playing without tap jump. It's hard to transition for me at least.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I feel like the only person who uses tap jump even at serious online matches lol. I'm just so used to it that if I used a button to jump I'd be TERRIBLE. Up tilts can be a problem sonetimes with tap jump. I usually have to do the actions for up tilt while I'm at the end lag of another move it works the easiest that way.

Maruken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Moraken
I found myself turning off tap jump because it was making me double jump whenever I tried to SH/FH Uair.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Tap to jump leads to a lot of accidental double jumps and lack of uptilts for me. I play with it off, personally. However, some players are very skilled with the traditional controls, as we can see by Dr. PP (PPMD), who is a top 5 Melee player and uses traditional controls. It's all up to the player!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If you want a GC controller, can you purchase one from the internet? Or do they not have something like amazon in Brazil?

Last edited:

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Does anyone know how to reliably avoid using your 2nd Jump when performing an Up B in the air?

This is the one big issue I have with Tap Jump on. I can't save my 2nd Jump when I want to perform an Up B in the air.

It is the one thing that holds me back from using Tap Jump On.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
You could buy one from Ebay or Play-Asia, perhaps?

I keep tap jump because of upB out of shield.
For Bowser and Link, this is almost a necessity.
You can do that if you press jump while inputting the command. That's what I do, and it's pretty easy if you're using L-jumping (basically, I figured you don't need two shoulder-buttons to shield, so I sometimes use L to jump, I still use X and Y as well though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom