• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on: Should there be a Super Smash Bros. spinoff series for manga/anime etc characters?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
We all know that when a character doesn't originate from a videogame franchise, or is a fancharacter, it automatically deconfirms them. They won't even and shouldn't appear in any form at all. Unfortunately, dozens of fans have been requesting Goku to be playable for over 10 years. However, luckily, Goku along with Hatsune Miku, Usagi. Shinji, Kagome, Doraemon, and so on have been already deconfirmed for a long time.

Letting a non-videogame character or fancharacter, (especially a manga/anime characrer) be playable in Smash, or even appear in any other form would be a terrible idea, it would trigger a pandora's box that will lead to almost any manga/anime character or etc. being able to join Smash. It's not like how Sonic's inclusion lead to more 3rd party superstars.

So my question to you is should we have a Super Smash Bros. spinoff platform-fighter series where manga/anime characters battle in the similar fashion to Smash? But with no videogame characters. And why?

Do you have any other ideas besides the one mentioned above?

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Honestly no, not only that would be a licensing nightmare but it would be also difficult to get it released to other areas of the world besides Japan. Plus as post #2 already mentioned that there's a similar series for that.

Also I really don't care about Japanese animation nowadays.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
nooo.gif

If it means Smash Bros. characters are fighting alongside manga characters, no. If it means manga characters are getting an exclusive crossover fighting game with the same functions as Smash, no.

A separate non-Smash game but with both Nintendo and manga characters in it would essentially make the purpose of Smash obsolete. It would also be a licensing catastrophe and be a pointless crossover.

Putting manga characters in their own game with Smash mechanics would fundamentally be ripping off of Smash, and that's not something anyone wants to see. Plus, filling a game with nothing but manga characters is something Jump Force already did (and wold be a nightmare to try to get many people outside of Japan to be interested in).

Quillion

Smash Hero
Putting manga characters in their own game with Smash mechanics would fundamentally be ripping off of Smash, and that's not something anyone wants to see.
To be fair, they attempted to do that with Battle Stadium DON. Yes, it's hot garbage, but they tried...

Anyway, kaithehedgefox kaithehedgefox , what is with you and these topics involving manga characters? No one's telling you anything different from topic to topic, but you continuously make them anyway.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I love anime/manga but I don't really want a SSB spin-off 'cause it will be full of cancer (Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc) like they did with the recent anime cross-over fighting game (which was bad).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If it means Smash Bros. characters are fighting alongside manga characters, no. If it means manga characters are getting an exclusive crossover fighting game with the same functions as Smash, no..
Actually I meant that the spinoff would feature no videgame or Nintendo characters.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
What good is a spinoff if it means using the same resources and expenses to make a game that functions exactly like its mainline series? That’s a separate project for a separate company, and they’ve tried, and they’ve sucked.

D

Deleted member

Hell the **** no. Namco LOVES to **** anime games up. And Goku deserves better than them.

D

Deleted member

Literally Namco’s only good anime games were DBFZ and Jojo ASB. Why they still have the Jump license is beyond me.
Not to mention that they really don't like working with Nintendo too much. Smash was an exception.

D

Deleted member

You can't get Nintendo to do it no matter how hard you try. Sakurai has a huge beef with anime, remember?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Putting manga characters in their own game with Smash mechanics would fundamentally be ripping off of Smash, and that's not something anyone wants to see.
If anything more games need to copy Smash. Smash is really fun and easy to get into. That's not something that can be said of many fighting games.

And as far as a Anime/manga Smash game goes... sure why not. I don't think it needs to be a spin-off of Smash, but there's no shame in copying from the best.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You can't get Nintendo to do it no matter how hard you try. Sakurai has a huge beef with anime, remember?
IIRC in Japan they consider any animation to be anime/manga (I could be wrong), which is why no one would get the joke if you called Dora the Explorer your favorite anime.

My point being that technically any animated character could fall under Sakurai's "no manga" rule, so if this idea ever popped up in Nintendo's head to do a manga crossover game some of the same **** people suggest here might also show up in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Nope. I walkthrough-ed it once, and it's even better than J-Stars or Jump Force, I could say.

BTW, the story mode in JUS was kinda feels like World of Light: Using other character's power to fight
But isn't it a hidden Smash rule to hate anime?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean I think it'd be cool, but the only thing Nintendo could use to make this kind of game is literally just the manga/anime forms of their own characters. I doubt they'd license a bunch of cartoon/anime and manga characters without anything of their own, and hopefully they wouldn't throw Smash Bros. under the bus.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'd love to see more anime/comic book based platform fighters. Whoever is developing the game just needs to make sure that it's good. (Heck, I remember reading a thread on TvTropes about ideas for a fighting game starring Hasbro characters and I thought it was a good idea.)

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
Not really...

I mean, there might be 2 main problems for anime characters to do a Smash-like game

1.For example, if I was a Dragon Ball fan, I wouldn't want to see Goku defeated by Luffy, Naruto of someone else.
Thus, everyone don't want their hero lose. But somehow, I didn't see this problem in Smash.

2.The hidden power in these anime characters are literally "boundless", like Goku has his SSJ 1~4, SSG, SSGSS forms...
Let along Saitama. He can literally defeat anyone else in merely one punch if ONE, the creator of One Punch Man series, would like to do so.

BTW, I think DBFZ did a great job of dealing Goku's different forms.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nah bruh. I love One Piece, Dragonball, One Punch Man, Naruto, etc.

I just think Mario fighting Goku is a stupid concept and would rather keep Smash video game only, and have Jump do their own thing. I'd kill for a One Piece exclusive Smash style game with all the weird and wacky devil fruit powers, but alas it'll never happen.

I'd be equally against Mario fighting Shrek, Ronald McDonald and to a lesser extent Mickey Mouse for the same reason. There's no theme it's just MUGEN at that point and MUGEN's a ****ing mess.

...I'd actually be delighted with a Disney Smash Bros. style game though. That would be pretty awesome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No. They should have a manga or anime about Smash Bros. instead.

D

Deleted member

Nah bruh. I love One Piece, Dragonball, One Punch Man, Naruto, etc.

I just think Mario fighting Goku is a stupid concept and would rather keep Smash video game only, and have Jump do their own thing. I'd kill for a One Piece exclusive Smash style game with all the weird and wacky devil fruit powers, but alas it'll never happen.

I'd be equally against Mario fighting Shrek, Ronald McDonald and to a lesser extent Mickey Mouse for the same reason. There's no theme it's just MUGEN at that point and MUGEN's a ****ing mess.

...I'd actually be delighted with a Disney Smash Bros. style game though. That would be pretty awesome.
Mario vs. Goku? The king of video games vs. the king of anime?

Dude, that would be amazing!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mario vs. Goku? The king of video games vs. the king of anime?

Dude, that would be amazing!
Ronald McDonald Vs. Mickey Mouse? The king of fast food's mascot vs. the king of corporate properties mascot?

If that sounds stupid, that's what Mario vs. Goku sounds like to me. Two totally unrelated things smushed together for no reason. Two things I love individally but have no desire to see merge into one thing. Like cheese and chocolate.

Different strokes for different folks, but this is kind of the Smash fanbase at the moment; split between the opinions of "Goku would be awesome" and "Goku would be dumb" with the latter also asking "where do we stop?" opening up a whole new can of worms.

On topic; an anime version of Smash with NO video game characters? I'm totally up for. Doesn't even have to be just Jump. I'm down to watch Luffy vs. Natsu or Goku vs. Meliodas or watch All Might punt Kirito into next week.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
it's even better than Jump Force, I could say.
It’s not like that’s much of a milestone. You could pull a random game off of somebody’s shelf and there’s a very high chance it’d be a better game than Jump Force.

D

Deleted member

Ronald McDonald Vs. Mickey Mouse? The king of fast food's mascot vs. the king of corporate properties mascot?

If that sounds stupid, that's what Mario vs. Goku sounds like to me. Two totally unrelated things smushed together for no reason. Two things I love individally but have no desire to see merge into one thing. Like cheese and chocolate.

Different strokes for different folks, but this is kind of the Smash fanbase at the moment; split between the opinions of "Goku would be awesome" and "Goku would be dumb" with the latter also asking "where do we stop?" opening up a whole new can of worms.

On topic; an anime version of Smash with NO video game characters? I'm totally up for. Doesn't even have to be just Jump. I'm down to watch Luffy vs. Natsu or Goku vs. Meliodas or watch All Might punt Kirito into next week.
Goku vs. ****ty anime characters? Nah, just make him fight Lucario or something. He was in a movie first.

Last edited by a moderator:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Actually I meant that the spinoff would feature no videgame or Nintendo characters.
Why would Nintendo cannibalize their own killer IP with some weeb-bait crossover game? Did we not JUST have Jump Force?

Idk what it is with weebs wanting to mash animes together. Seriously, it happens like every other major release and we still need more anime crossovers like it's crack.

D

Deleted member

Why would Nintendo cannibalize their own killer IP with some weeb-bait crossover game? Did we not JUST have Jump Force?

Idk what it is with weebs wanting to mash animes together. Seriously, it happens like every other major release and we still need more anime crossovers like it's crack.
***** we're all playing smash, we're all weebs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Please don't generalize, as I stated above I really don't care about most Japanese cartoons and I vastly prefer western animation, also just because someone like something from Japan doesn't make them a "weeb" (I hate that word).

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Smash is something that occurs once every new Nintendo console. Jump-All-Stars-Force-Raging-DBZ-Bleach-Piece-Uzumaki-Chronicles-Century-Royale happens all the time in some form or fashion.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Does this just mean a platform based fighting game of anime characters?
If it isnt run by Nintendo, or Sakurai, sure.
It probably already exists as a fanmade game.

D

Deleted member

Then don't call me no weeb. The only anime series I give a **** about is Dragon Ball. **** Fairy Tail, **** Bleach, **** Sword Art Online, DOUBLE **** Naruto.

Top Bottom