• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon's Intro

Was the Intro Video Good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 209 94.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A surprisingly excitement free introduction for a set of characters who, while unfamiliar to me, contained a new "by the book" magician, backed up by sword. I'm happy with the character and will be playing the hell out of it as a secondary but I feel the reveal itself could have been done much better.
Also, isn't having Lucina, Marth AND Ike along with the new guy a bit much?

Last edited:

Robertzombie2

Smash Cadet
being as someone who finds chrom absolutely boring and lame, I LOVE this trailer so much !!! at least robin looks very interesting and we could use more magic users in the roster

the only thing that could make this any better is that the trailer should have started as chrom walking around being smug and getting suddenly knee'd to the jaw by CF

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Really good, but Lucina over chrom, especially her being what seems to be a clone, stings pretty badly! That said chrom's appearance is pretty cool. However, falcon is easily the best part of the trailer, watching him kick the **** out of the swordspeople was oddly epic!

Portanix

Smash Cadet
I think it sucked. Putting 4 Fire Emblem characters into the game is just too much of it. I really expected something more than just this boring blue haired clone of Marth.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I love these intros and to see that animation return for the reveal of Lucina and Robin was spectacular. And to add to that, to see Captain Falcon in that style/world- incredible. They really worked so hard on these things and I'm more excited about the style of intros they have moreso than anything else. I'm curious to see how Shulk and potential Chorus Men will be handled. It'd be hilarious to see it open up with the Rhythm Heaven style and introduce Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Ice Climbers, Wario and Metaknight all at the same time with that art style.

Gematsu deconfirmation
The trailer actually confirms it more than deconfirms. This confirms that the insider was either part of the team or has close ties considering what was leaked was dated. 8 of 11 right. And "1" wrong equals deconfirmation? Sounds like double standards to me.

Among other reports such as Sakurai stating the roster was finalized 2 years ago and that one spot was reserved for a Pokemon from X/Y (and guess what? The Gematsu leak had just that).

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I liked the animation, but instead of using the melee Fire Emblem music, they should've taken one of the tracks from Awakening.

D

Deleted member

I loved the trailer, the voice acting and animated sequences were handled way better than they were in Palutenas trailer. Also Captain Falcon looks glorious in the Awakening style, but that's for another time.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
A surprisingly excitement free introduction for a set of characters who, while unfamiliar to me, contained a new "by the book" magician, backed up by sword. I'm happy with the character and will be playing the hell out of it as a secondary but I feel the reveal itself could have been done much better.
Also, isn't having Lucina, Marth AND Ike along with the new guy a bit much?
I guess since so many people were divided between Lucina, Robin, and Chrom, Sakurai just decided two blue haired swordsmen were enough and put both Lucina and Robin in to appease the rest of the fans. It's still a lot of Fire Emblem characters, so now I want more characters to rep heavier franchises, such as Mewtwo for Pokemon.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Alright so.. Is Lucina like a super Marth clone or something, or maybe some alternate Marth or what? Clearly she has his move set worse then Roy. But she is presented as her own character. I am so confused.

D

Deleted member

Alright so.. Is Lucina like a super Marth clone or something, or maybe some alternate Marth or what? Clearly she has his move set worse then Roy. But she is presented as her own character. I am so confused.
She's looking like a Marth clone, her movements seem faster and she looks to have less landing lag on her nair. But hey, 2 clones (TLink and Lucina) and a semi-clone (Luigi) out of a roster of currently 36 characters isn't that much at all.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I love these intros and to see that animation return for the reveal of Lucina and Robin was spectacular. And to add to that, to see Captain Falcon in that style/world- incredible. They really worked so hard on these things and I'm more excited about the style of intros they have moreso than anything else. I'm curious to see how Shulk and potential Chorus Men will be handled. It'd be hilarious to see it open up with the Rhythm Heaven style and introduce Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Ice Climbers, Wario and Metaknight all at the same time with that art style.

The trailer actually confirms it more than deconfirms. This confirms that the insider was either part of the team or has close ties considering what was leaked was dated. 8 of 11 right. And "1" wrong equals deconfirmation? Sounds like double standards to me.

Among other reports such as Sakurai stating the roster was finalized 2 years ago and that one spot was reserved for a Pokemon from X/Y (and guess what? The Gematsu leak had just that).
Uhh...that's how things work. If something was wrong about a leak, that leak is no longer considered valid. One wrong does equal deconfirmation (if that's even a word). When a theory is proven wrong, it is no longer considered valid. Some things might be right, but there is no point in having 100% trust in a false leak anymore since it was falsified. If you want to continue this discussion, there is a thread for that.

Otherwise, I think the trailer was well done. Captain Falcon taking on three members of Fire Emblem and kicking the crap out of two of them is super bad ass. The acting (besides maybe Robin) was really well done. Also, it would be amazing if there was a "hooded" Robin alternate costume.

Celestis

Smash Ace
She's looking like a Marth clone, her movements seem faster and she looks to have less landing lag on her nair. But hey, 2 clones (TLink and Lucina) and a semi-clone (Luigi) out of a roster of currently 36 characters isn't that much at all.
I understand that there have always been clones to a degree. But she looks like a one for one of Marth. I mean even her uniform is Marth's, only female. Not even Roy was cloned that much. At least he lit things on fire. What she looks like is an updated version of Marth. Sakurai did say the version we saw was dated after all.

Robertzombie2

Smash Cadet
I hear smash 4 marth is not more ground based and has a stronger counter like melee Roy

what if lucina is old marth (not melee... just brawl marth which is more aerial focused)

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
It was great,I was loving the art and animation they used to introduce both Lucina and falcon in their fight.Im unsure how I feel about robin,he doesn't seem like a character I would used.

Oh,and chrom being deconfirmed was the best part,it was done in a troll mannerism,lol,

oh sakurai,you

D

Deleted member

I understand that there have always been clones to a degree. But she looks like a one for one of Marth. I mean even her uniform is Marth's, only female. Not even Roy was cloned that much. At least he lit things on fire. What she looks like is an updated version of Marth. Sakurai did say the version we saw was dated after all.
People are already starting to analyze whether or not she's a complete clone, but we can only tell that once we actually see more of her moves or until we get our hands on the game. And you're right about the uniform thing, but that's how she dressed in Awakening, so I'll let it slide.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My first thought was "Chrom, not Shulk? That's a surprise"

Then I was like "Chrom AND Lucina? Or ...is it just Lucina?"

Then I was like "Captain Falcon, I figured a veteran might show up in the trailer, didnt' specifically expect him but whatever"

I was also like "I kind of expect another character to appear, maybe Shulk"

Then another character came and I was like "That's not Shulk"

"Robin!?! Hell yeah!"

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It was about just as mind-blowing (if not more) than some of the character trailers in the past (think of the one that revealed Rosalina, and the one that revealed Greninja), and brought us NEW (not leaked) character newcomer reveals. And one of them was Lucina, one of my most wanted, but least expected characters. So, like, obviously, I LOVED IT! ^_^

It was exactly what I needed at the moment, since I was feeling disheartened by the leak being pretty much confirmed true, and it looking like Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Boys would be the last three characters we would get. So boring, and so underwhelming that we would really know all of the newcomers so early, but this trailer was like "NOPE". It's like the developers are fully aware of the leak and how those of us who are underwhelmed felt about it. xD

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I enjoyed it. I liked seeing the Captain but, I found it weird to feature him alongside Fire Emblem characters. I felt Ganondorf or Meta Knight would have been a closer fit.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon was the best part of the trailer he was kicking ass and looked awesome doing it. The trailer itself was well made. The info it delivered was disappointing to me personally. Really wanted Chrom and unlike other newcomers I've been skeptical about Robin didn't really win me over after seeing him in action. In fact he really just cemented the reason I didn't want him in the first place in that a generic Robin is a boring Robin. It'd be a whole different story if it was My Unit and my Avatar but Robin is not a character that I have any connection too, my avatar didn't look or sound like that in any of my play-throughs. Having Chrom be his final smash stung.

Lucina I don't mind but in some ways her inclusion is what baffles me most about Chrom not being included. It may have seemed "cheap" but why not just have them both share the slot the same way male and female Robin did? Chrom literally taught Lucina her fighting style and they use the same blade. I guess the fact that she's already a clone of Math might make that seem weird but I'd still rather have him be playable as an alt costume than just be a final Smash. Enough that today's reveals were disappointing for me overall.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
I might main Robin. I like Magic, Sword combo! He can be alongside my other mains (Ike, Pit, and Lucario)

I have to change my Profile Pic though.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
I enjoyed it. I keep watching it cause this is the first and only time I've seen Cpt. look entirely epic. Dodge face slash, counter with a must dodge jab. Goes for a fast stab, deflects with hand and kicks the sword. It's like he did too many movements, but the flow looked smooth. Like moonwalking!

The rest of the video was kinda disappointing cause Robin said his moves and they weren't high level looking except that one, like Falcon Punch looks.

If I want anyone else, Ninten cause ... ........ and Medusa cause I want more villains and she's not a genderbend character, like most of the girls. Peach, Zelda, Shiek, Jiggs, Rosilna, Samus, ZSS vs Villager, WiiFit, Robin, IC(I guess), Mii(kind of), Lucina(...). That's like half of them entirely. But that's just me.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
The more I see the more I love. That and Captain Falcon looks massive in this one. I was more hyped by how awesome they made Captain Falcon look. Now Robin looks all kinds of awesome as well. Lucina is a Marth clone but whatever. If she's the only one then it's all good. Sakurai seems to think she's different enough to merit her own character slot so maybe she'll have some move variations when it's all said and done. A Fox and Falco kinda deal.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Overall it was very well done, as were all of the other trailers. Seeing Captain Falcon back was amazing (even though there was never doubt of his return), and seeing him in the beautiful Fire Emblem art style? Gorgeous. The Chrom thing at the end was funny for me (as I didn't want to see him), but I imagine it really hurt for those who DID want him. Yeah I'm not happy that Lucina got in as a clone, as I hate clones and honestly there's no need for 4 Fire Emblem reps, but that's besides the point. The trailer was greatness.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
Overall it was very well done, as were all of the other trailers. Seeing Captain Falcon back was amazing (even though there was never doubt of his return), and seeing him in the beautiful Fire Emblem art style? Gorgeous. The Chrom thing at the end was funny for me (as I didn't want to see him), but I imagine it really hurt for those who DID want him. Yeah I'm not happy that Lucina got in as a clone, as I hate clones and honestly there's no need for 4 Fire Emblem reps, but that's besides the point. The trailer was greatness.
I agree with the no 4 Reps for FE. Maybe Zelda and Pokemon will get more. Maybe another franchise.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
the all amazing great :4falcon:the good :4robinm: the disappointing girl wannabe :4marth:

Pureownege75 zelda have 4 reps :4link::4tlink::4zelda::4sheik: and :ganondorf: well will %100 be back

needs more captain falcon :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon:

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Lucina reminded me of Maka from Soul Eaters thought it was bad arse.

Like the trailer.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I'm excited to give Lucina a try. There may be more than meets the eye. I think she will be a fairly unpopular character pre-release but will gain recognition once the meta game discussion begins. While I do think Fire Emblem is slightly over-represented, I'm happy with Robin and Lucina.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I haven't seen a trailer this beautiful since Little Mac's. It was absolutely top notch.

The way Captain Falcon gave both Chrom and Lucina a run for their money, how Robin descended into the fray, his vast array of moves, Ike's eruption being blue... It was a Fire Emblem fanboy's dream come true. I was crying tears of joy.

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Well, if 4 characters of Fire Emblem means a new Star Fox or Metroid or Donkey Kong, then I'm alright. Otherwhise : Too much FE..

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
I was so shocked and I still am. Before it started I was convinced it was going to be Shulk however I had a strange feeling it was going to be FE related. I hoped with everything I had that I would be surprised and I was!

When it started and I seen Lucina getting pushed back I thought "Well looks like my instinct was right." When I seen the splash thing saying 'Lucina wakes her blade?!' I was like "Wait WHAT?!?!" *fan girly screams*. Then Capt. Falcon was revealed as her opponent and returning veteran and said "Ah cool Capt. Falcon! Hope he's on the page later" Lucina gets knocked back he moves in for the Falcon Punch but NOPE! I was like "Uh oh I knew it wasn't over who did that?! Sceptile? Shulk?" (Yes at first I thought it could of been Sceptile leave me alone xD. I don't particularly care for him though.) Then I seen someone with a book and sword and instantly recognized the figure "ROBIN?!!?". I hold my breathe here and when he took of the hood and said 'Time to tip the scales!' with the splash I was FLOORED! All of my fan girl screams! While they were showing Robin and Lucina off the entire time I thought "But what about Chrom?! The leak!? Also can you be female Robin?!". Everything was answered at the end with Chrom being part of Robin's FS and indeed you can choose female Robin and caused me to fangirl even more! At first though I didn't know what to think with Chrom until I checked the site. Though the leak got Chrom wrong I still hope Shulk will come. Also I'm not particularly upset about Chrom since I wanted Gender switching Robin or if not Robin then Lucina before Chrom so I got my wish times two!

Ike's eruption being blue...
Really?! I didn't even see that till just now when I rewatched it! You're right they are blue here! I hope to see it in action again so I can really see the move clearly.

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
Grumpy post to follow:

Personally, I think the numbers and influence Fire Emblem now has in Smash Brothers is too much, and their presence is bloated. Robin comes off as laborious and annoying. Palutena's constant shouting of silly moves nearly got to me, the two of them in one match has the potential to make ears bleed.
Palutena is a Kid Icarus character, not a Fire Emblem one. I guess her talking to and saving Pit along with her being his FS in Brawl is something you missed.

Anywho, I freaking loved the trailer. You know how Mewtwo fanboys thought Greninja was Mewtwo enen though it obiously wasn't? Well, thats what went on with me when they said "No, you'll get it today". Although a second run through made it clear he just just the FS. Overall thoughts:
+Robin, both genders, Lucina, Captain Falcon, animation be rad, FE Cap'n Falcon is awesome, music is lovely
-Chrom(but its okay cause we got two differnt FE:A reps), No Falcon Funch

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Palutena is a Kid Icarus character, not a Fire Emblem one. I guess her talking to and saving Pit along with her being his FS in Brawl is something you missed.

Anywho, I freaking loved the trailer. You know how Mewtwo fanboys thought Greninja was Mewtwo enen though it obiously wasn't? Well, thats what went on with me when they said "No, you'll get it today". Although a second run through made it clear he just just the FS. Overall thoughts:
+Robin, both genders, Lucina, Captain Falcon, animation be rad, FE Cap'n Falcon is awesome, music is lovely
Actually, no it wasn't. I was making a point of how annoying they both are, buddy.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13

I wish he would have Falcon Punched Lucina for being a clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom