• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts of a guy switching to Mario main

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Well, after trying him out for a few weeks, I love Mario. His play style feels honest and he can do a little of everything. I got kind of tired of Pikachu after seeing how he wins with cheap, unsatisfying tricks only, (cg, qac lock) and gave our loved plumber a spin. There just isn't much more satisfying than getting a low damage cape/forward a spike/fludd gimp. Mario is just a satisfying character to play as. He is also kind of cool. (making fire out of thin air? that's pretty badass. stealing money from people with your recovery? that's cool too. I love the aerial arc of his fireballs and his WA-HA!!) I also want to thank y'all who have posted the videos and threads about the proper usage of Mario. Those have helped me a lot.

so uh.. ramble..

Mario is great. Post some mario stories.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Cape > FLUDD (thats starting to become the Melee vs. Brawl of Mario mains...)

Anyway, I remember one time when I was playing the Lucario. He came up and started talking smack to me one day at school (where I've built up a reputation as the best) and told me he could three stock me.

He comes over to my house after school. I made a point to beat him using only special attacks. Twice. And I didn't die once.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This one happened about two weeks ago.

I was at the video game club, and Brawl was quite popular that meeting. Melee wasn't around, so all of the melee players were playing Brawl.

During that time, the pro-melee players were talking smack about Mario, making fun of his FLUDD and his cape and saying that he sucks. I kept quiet until it was my turn in the rotation to go 1v1 vs a Link player.

Mauled him, maimed him, and caped/fludded the CRAP outta him. 3-Stocked him under 2 minutes.

The Pro-melee players were SPECCHLESS, and now they all wanna 1v1 me whenever I play Mario.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Not only is the Cape an excellent recovery gimper, but it also makes otherwise unpunishable attacks extremely punishable.

I always get my bro's G&W with the cape. Just cape one of his ground attacks so he's facing the wrong way, then strike with a powerful smash attack.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Cape > FLUDD (thats starting to become the Melee vs. Brawl of Mario mains...)
True that...

I wish I had a Mario story to share, but I really don't. I've got more Ness stories than anything.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hello, Skink welcome to the Mario boards :).

I swear, we need like a guide just for F.L.U.U.D and when to use it, but yea it's hard to explain :psycho:.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
This one happened about two weeks ago.

I was at the video game club, and Brawl was quite popular that meeting. Melee wasn't around, so all of the melee players were playing Brawl.

During that time, the pro-melee players were talking smack about Mario, making fun of his FLUDD and his cape and saying that he sucks. I kept quiet until it was my turn in the rotation to go 1v1 vs a Link player.

Mauled him, maimed him, and caped/fludded the CRAP outta him. 3-Stocked him under 2 minutes.

The Pro-melee players were SPECCHLESS, and now they all wanna 1v1 me whenever I play Mario.
lol that is a good story.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I got a good one
I was fighting this good sonic,he was an *** and everytime I tried to gimp him he'd lol
so finnaly on his last stock, I foot stool jumped his DJ, Fair spiked his up-b,he tried to home attack me but did'nt lock on so he just lost height and Fludded his renewed up-b...GAME! (I 2 stocked him btw,he only had 30 % when I started the gimping XD)
no more lol'z after that

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
I got one as well
What was a 2v2 Mario and G&W vs DK and TL(toonlink) stage Battlefield, and i pulled of a 0 to 70% dmg to DK in seconds. Then Just finished him off with a Fsmash. (20sec passed with no dmg) I moved in to fight TL, used fireballs to start up combos doing heavy Dmg and eventually killing him. (im at 10% by time it takes me to kill DK and TL for the first time).
In the end it was a 2v1 Mario vs DK and TL. (yea i have no idea how it got to this point after that great beginning) i used fire balls to hit TL and run after DK and grab him to throw him off (DK and TL are about 70% and im at 90%) turn to TL when he was off guard and jab cancel to Dsmash run over to Tl (who is off the stage) shoot 2 fire balls both hit then cape to gimp him (TL Lose). Turned to face DK fire ball to get him to block and Fsamash (with aimed upward to shield pock) and defeated DK.
Beat down :chuckle:

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I have a saved replay against my Wolf-playing friend. He'd love to roll around and poke me with his blaster, smash attacks and up-b/side-b hits.

On Final Destination, he charged me with up-B on the edge. I prime the cape and begin to three-stock him.

Now for useless opinion on Mario: so I'll agree that Mario's brilliance is underestimated. The FLUDD is handy for gimping and against defensive/campy players (if they're hanging immobile by the ledge I squirt them off with the FLUDD and then move in for the kill), and the rest of his attacks from his smashes to his throws and specials don't need any defending: they're tough as they are.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hmmm there's those mario stories that i love to tell when im up against Mk. At first Mk looks pretty hardcore at first, but once you see the pattern of theirs its pretty much asking for a **** check. this mk once was going all out on me, and started abusing shuttle loop, and until i got a cape on his fricken ***, it felt good to cape a shuttle loop to his death

ToonLuigi

Smash Cadet
I don't main mario, but I'm thinking of maining him, he's already a secondary. Yeah, I don't have any stories but I was playing in Sudden Death mode after a time match, right? So this spammy Samus is shooting missiles, and the Samus has a Marth partner. The marth is getting close, I cape the missile and it kills Marth. Then Samus keeps spamming, and so i start caping the missiles again. But she mixes up and uses a fully charged shot. Guess what? There was enough spacing that I could cape it back.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
New story! This just happened like an hour ago at a Brawl meeting.

So there just so happens to be an awesome Diddy Kong user. He was mauling all of the competitive players that are actually around the same level as me. He was on a major winning streak, and he actually beat me once with my Mario (although barely. I was too busy trying to not get hit instead of going in for the kill T_T)

So eventually it was my turn in the rotation again. We were going toe-to-toe until I was banana-gimped and I got KOed, and after that he was slowing me down with his bananas and racking up damage. Eventually I got a stutter F-Smash in and the sweetspot sealed the deal on KO. At this point though I was 90% damage, last stock. Diddy comes back on his last stock.

Me: "Okay, lets see if I can come back."
Diddy Player: "You're not coming back, face it."

So I was staying defensive the whole time just trying to rack up damage. Eventually I got a D-Smash in which put him off the stage. He was at 40% damage and the D-Smash actually hit in a way that it sent him -below- the stage. So he goes to Up-B... I do a walk-off Cape and send him in the other direction... and I win the match.

Everyone was shouting in surprise and saying "OWNED!" And then the Diddy Player says, "Oh **** you guys." XD

And after that I was on a winning streak. I even beaten a MK user! And that's my highlight of the night.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
New story!
Lmao, good ****. Always nice to see Mario cape **** someone.

Kudos for defending Mario's honor in the Ike boards as well. I was rolling up my sleeves till I saw HeroMystic as I scrolled down. Though they have good reason to talk for the stuff we've been brewing up about Ike on these boards.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The Ike mainers there are good sports, and I'm sure just like them, it's hard to find a great Mario player to represent (although we have more good Mario players than good Ike players here). It's only natural for them to believe that a character they played the least is bad.

Just wait till Mario come ups on their match-up thread, then we'll be seeing some heads roll.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The Ike mainers there are good sports, and I'm sure just like them, it's hard to find a great Mario player to represent (although we have more good Mario players than good Ike players here). It's only natural for them to believe that a character they played the least is bad.

Just wait till Mario come ups on their match-up thread, then we'll be seeing some heads roll.
Especially if they go any higher than even. I'll give them that much, but not further. Ike's close range game is better than I expected, and good ones never QD to recover. Didn't expect that XD

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Here's my story. This replay was like one of my first wifi matches a few weeks later from the day i bought smash. The vid was uploaded from another mario user from smash boards recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFcQYTHoWo

This vid was like the start of my skills improving slightly for Mario in brawl. Watch at least the ending of the vid. Its worth watching at that part.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I was entertained by the entire vid, but the ending was epic. I love seeing all the ways that a cape can **** a character's last stock.

I bet that Falco player was PISSED.

Top Bottom