• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thought you guys might wanna see this (DDD vs. Wolf)

castorpollux

Smash Champion
its inescapable if he does it right. =/ I just tested this out with my friend.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
It's just chain grabbing as fast as possible. We already knew this was a terrible matchup, it's not like you should be using Wolf against D3 in the first place.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I don't believe in switching characters when faced with a bad match-up. I feel it stunts the metagame. I say lets all just stick it out and just keep fighting with wolf. Somebody will eventually come up with some kind of strategy.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't believe in switching characters when faced with a bad match-up. I feel it stunts the metagame. I say lets all just stick it out and just keep fighting with wolf. Somebody will eventually come up with some kind of strategy.
QFT.

Really, people need to stop being pansies
and switching to MK to win
and learn how to cope with their character's disadvantages and bad matchups.

Btw, the tactic is to space bair constantly, or just not get grabbed. As it is for wolf against quite a few characters.

I really like spoiler tags, can't you tell?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i'd rather face a falco. At least on a lot of stages, i can just stay on a platform until I'm at like 40%.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hmmm...I thought it's escapable. I think it makes it rather 80:20 ish and thus harder than Falco. DDD can just throw you to the edge and infinite Wolf there. I'll change that match-up....

castorpollux

Smash Champion
.... wow thats just balls. I've never been infinited this way. WHat exactly does the D3 do to execute this?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Hmmm...I thought it's escapable. I think it makes it rather 80:20 ish and thus harder than Falco. DDD can just throw you to the edge and infinite Wolf there. I'll change that match-up....
=/

Poor Wolf...

This certainly can't help his tier list ranking...

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I have no problem with it if people want to dedicate themselves to one character even facing his bad matchups, and in fact I think it's admirable, but this is a bit silly.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i think it's silly to just cop out on a character because of a bad match-up. Character's metagames are advanced by those who stick with a certain character and find ways to win with them. By just switching characters, you're preventing your wolf game from evolving into something better and more potent. To be honest, if wolf can somehow find a strategy or way to win against a good dedede, in the end, the wolf will come out to be a better character than anyone ever really expected from him.

JST

Smash Apprentice
Wait...
You created a thread... just so you could provide a link to an existing thread?
I don't understand you one bit.
The thread contains info and a vid. So I said why not lol.

i think it's silly to just cop out on a character because of a bad match-up. Character's metagames are advanced by those who stick with a certain character and find ways to win with them. By just switching characters, you're preventing your wolf game from evolving into something better and more potent. To be honest, if wolf can somehow find a strategy or way to win against a good dedede, in the end, the wolf will come out to be a better character than anyone ever really expected from him.
Have you ever tried DK vs. D3?

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Sure. Obviously it's important to keep practicing with your character against bad matchups. But no matter how "developed" things are, there will always be bad matchups and when you are trying to win in a tournament the smartest thing to do will always be to counterpick bad matchups.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Sure. Obviously it's important to keep practicing with your character against bad matchups. But no matter how "developed" things are, there will always be bad matchups and when you are trying to win in a tournament the smartest thing to do will always be to counterpick bad matchups.
well if winnings everything to you, then just play mk and learn to plank.

Oh and I realize that DK vs D3 is a terrible match-up, but that's not my point. My point is that if you just switch characters then your DK will never be good enough to beat a good D3. It's human nature to adapt and get better when challenged, so the best way to improve your DK is to stick with him and fight against anyone, including D3s.

JST

Smash Apprentice
My point is that if you just switch characters then your DK will never be good enough to beat a good D3.
DK, no matter how good, will never beat a good (I put an emphasis on GOOD) D3 unless some sort of exploit against D3 is found. Yes, it might improve your metagame with DK, but fighting a D3 is not only a fruitless effort, but it does nothing more than improve the way you fight against D3 specifically instead of focusing on other characters.

You have to realize that there are match-ups where your opponent has absolutely everything against you. In this kind of situation, whether you're in it for fun or you're in it for winning, the smart thing to do would be counterpick. You're not gonna have fun in a match-up like this, nor will you win in a match-up like this. This is exactly why people pick up secondaries: for times when the **** hits the fan and there's no other option except lose, lose some more, and get your *** handed to you (Which is not fun in a tourney setting).

castorpollux

Smash Champion
My point exactly. You will lose to DDDs but you will get better. You will get better to the point where you will only be losing to the best DDDs. Oh and how do you find a possible exploit against DDD with DK? Definetely not by counterpicking game and watch

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I'm stealing this from omegablackmage's stickied guide. He's not only the best G&W in new england, he's also one of the best players there in general, so he knows what he's talking about.

G&W vs Dedede: 7/3
A very common character to see in tournaments, and lucky for gw players, this is one of his worst matchups. He can't chaingrab you, which is a large part of how he wins or at the very least racks up a lot of damage, all the grab does is toss you on the ground which you can roll out of. Make sure you aren't predictable in your rolling and you'll find you won't take too much damage from his grab combos. The range you have in the air vs him can be a lot of trade offs so watch out. When he's recovering you need to decide whether he's looking to grab the edge or land on the stage. If you can hog him in time, do that for a quick kill obviously, but if he's going above the stage do a neutral air under him and it'll pop him out of his up b, which you can follow up into an up b to send him back out. Continue this pattern for a while and it will rack up a lot of damage/anger the dedede. Other than those tips watch out for the range on his smashes and tilts and make sure you bucked the waddle doo's beam attack for free buckets.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
OBM also thinks Snake vs GW is even and GW has the advantage on Marth.

Lol.

CO18

Smash Hero
DK, no matter how good, will never beat a good (I put an emphasis on GOOD) D3 unless some sort of exploit against D3 is found. Yes, it might improve your metagame with DK, but fighting a D3 is not only a fruitless effort, but it does nothing more than improve the way you fight against D3 specifically instead of focusing on other characters.

You have to realize that there are match-ups where your opponent has absolutely everything against you. In this kind of situation, whether you're in it for fun or you're in it for winning, the smart thing to do would be counterpick. You're not gonna have fun in a match-up like this, nor will you win in a match-up like this. This is exactly why people pick up secondaries: for times when the **** hits the fan and there's no other option except lose, lose some more, and get your *** handed to you (Which is not fun in a tourney setting).
Umm without infinites. DK Vs DDD is just 6:4 adv for DDD which is why BUM still ***** top DDD players in NY/NJ.

With infinite its 100:0 though lolz.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
And a whole lot of people on the wolf boards thinks wolf is even with bowser. I guess it's pretty common when credible people disagree on match-ups

castorpollux

Smash Champion
btw, dedede's infinite on wolf near the edge is very very sensitive to the distance from the edge. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Top Bottom