• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thorn in my side.

Bluemeanie

Smash Rookie
Alright. I am like a high level 3 (maybe a little generous) and I am against a level 4 or so ness. The sad thing is that I only use link. What should my strategy be against a ness. In a big level I can get him down to one life by lots of bombs, 'rangs, and jumps with attacks (not the text book 3/4 jump though. cant tap fast enough yet). I can z cancel but I forget half the time because the heat of the moment. I just get so frustrated because in smaller levels I get owned. And in bigger levels I do better but still lose. Any advice is highly appreciated.

And on a side note. If you are good with ness and can play online I would greatly appreciate you playing with me. I am up against some local kid and he talks so much sh*t I just want to shut him up. This would mean a lot to me. Thanks.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
1- You play Link, deal with it
2- Don't forget about your Z-cancels or it'll get much worse
3- Don't get grabbed =P

But ya, Ness > Link so this really is an uphill battle. GL HF?

Bluemeanie

Smash Rookie
I was not complaining that I use link. I love link. And I think he has the potiental to be the best character 1v1 in larger levels.

And if I were to adopt another character who would you guys recommend? Who is best matched against ness.

Thino

Smash Master
No. if you like Link , keep him. But its important not to miss Z-cancels , especially with Link cuz his aerials are superlagged

Bluemeanie

Smash Rookie
what moves of links can be z-cancelled? I have only really noticed it on the down smash.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Every aerial move can be z-cancelled: up-air, down-air(what you call down smash), neutral-air, back-air and forward-air.

Ness has pretty gay combos even if he can't double jump cancel.........like up-tilt chain to up-air chain. If he grabs you and throws you out, you're pretty screwed as Link too.

Against a gay Ness, spam bombs and rangs as much as possible and combo off them, try to catch him in an up-tilt or downsmash and combo off that, learn to juggle with upsmash, try to not get grabbed near the edge.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
I'm going to agree with Malva here, since Ness has no fast projectiles and Hyrule is hyoog enough to allow for Link to move around a bunch while (if?) he spams. On smaller levels, DJC > boomerangs, so Link will only have the one projectile type to use (and besides, it's hard for Link to jump backwards and use a projectile if he's always in danger of falling off an edge).

Bluemeanie

Smash Rookie
What are some combo sequences. I have been experimenting with things that work but if anyone knows any it'll save me that time. I typically get hit in the middle of a combo and then it kills it.

malva00

Smash Master
On smaller levels, DJC > boomerangs, so Link will only have the one projectile type to use (and besides, it's hard for Link to jump backwards and use a projectile if he's always in danger of falling off an edge).
No Link still has his boomerang -___-

And it's easy to jump back and boomerang. You just jump back and boomerang.

Bluemeanie

Smash Rookie
Is there any decent way to avoid ness's spike? I always get spiked. And is there any way to use the bomb as a way to help get back on the level?

slow like

Smash Cadet
to avoid getting spiked, you just keep from getting off the edge. link's projectiles/sword give him enough range to keep ness off you. z-cancelling properly lets you chain aerials into ground moves really easily. if you stay stationary, he'll get you in a combo; just keep moving while utilizing your range. if you need to work on z-cancelling, just practice against a cpu until it becomes second nature. as stated earlier, it's real helpful to jump backwards and use projectiles (i also use jump backwards-fair if i need to give myself some space.)

by the way, i also had to deal with maining link against naysayers. nothing to be ashamed of there. link is an amazingly fun character, but he also requires that you be really involved. own that business, dude. show that kid who's boss.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
the nesses that djc like little happy humping mice usually will get owned by link's sword and bomb. Boomerang usage is useless against yoshi and ness because all they'll do is cancel it. I do it all the time with yoshi so its better to use boomerangs with an unexpected timing.

greenblob

Smash Lord
When you see a Ness going off the edge for a spike, depending on your location, try using up B slightly earlier so that it either hits Ness or makes him jump back to avoid it, and hopefully by the time he recovers, you'll be grabbing the edge.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Throw a boomerang during your 2nd jump to try and ward off oncoming Nessies...and maybe recover low and sweet spot the ledge, or recover really high so Ness has to jump really high up. Or just try to up-b over his head.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
No Link still has his boomerang -___-

And it's easy to jump back and boomerang. You just jump back and boomerang.
:p

He has boomerang, but DJC-dair cancels projectiles easily, and has less recovery time than boomerang-throwing. So, since it's a small stage, it's much harder to use the boomerang effectively, because you've often got an edge at your back, so either you sit on the ground and boomerang (and have it be cancelled and has Ness throw you), or you jump backwards and boomerang-- but jumping backwards puts you over the edge. Which, as Link against Ness, isn't cool.

I mean, clearly there's ways around it. But they're going to take some effort, as opposed to Hyrule, where you can just jump backwards and boomerang to your heart's content, unless there's tornados around.

Thino

Smash Master

He has boomerang, but DJC-dair cancels projectiles easily, and has less recovery time than boomerang-throwing. So, since it's a small stage, it's much harder to use the boomerang effectively, because you've often got an edge at your back, so either you sit on the ground and boomerang (and have it be cancelled and has Ness throw you), or you jump backwards and boomerang-- but jumping backwards puts you over the edge. Which, as Link against Ness, isn't cool.
talking about Dreamland there , right?

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Uhhhh... I think Kongo Jungle? Dreamland applies too, I guess... but I find Kongo to be smaller, or at least seem smaller. Either way, they're a heck of a lot different than Hyrule or the Hyoog Fox.

malva00

Smash Master

what are you talking about? if ness gets close you you can jump over to the other side

you said "so Link will only have the one projectile type to use" wtf is that? the only stage where you can't use two projectiles to help you would be on a stage that only supports 1 person at a time or something but that doesn't exist..

And Ness can't block every boomerang. You get a hit here and there I've seen it LOL it's hilarious

Top Bottom