• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is Madness...

Bouse

Smash Ace
Is anyone else feeling that Link mains have dedicated themselves to a world of madness? Our character is beaten out by characters who are bottom feeders (and metaknight :psycho: )... and can do well against Snake and D3. Dunno but some days after playing Link I feel I really need a stiff drink. Though my friend says I'm generally a masochist when it comes to this game, considering I main ZSS.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have to agree with your post... but since when does Link stand a chance against a Snake who knows how to ftilt or a D3 who knows how to outspam us?

Bouse

Smash Ace
I've just never really had much trouble against Snake's, and bombs have priority over most of D3's projectiles if you know how to use them properly. You can outspam D3, you just can't be a moron about it. Also you can generally beat him out in the grabbing game, ntm gimp his recovery pretty easily with Gale Guarding. The way I see Snake's grenades though... is really like I have more bombs to play with. Snake's a hard matchup don't get me wrong, but he's nowhere as hard to defeat as most characters who give Link trouble.

Edit: Well he doesn't get priority over all of them...

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Ah, okay. Have never experienced this matchup myself, got no Snake mains here. =)
But regarding your OP... I sometimes don't know if I can stand the frustration any more. You work and work and get slaughtered (or maybe just defeated) anyway. Link has a hellish learning curve. I feel mine is barely moving upwards, his AT's are very hard to implement into his game. I have a lot of respect for all the Link pro's out there who got so good with him since Brawl has come out.

Bouse

Smash Ace
I mean, I think you pretty much have to learn every single technique there is to learn. You need to wavebounce without b-sticking because you need to learn to DAC. You need to learn his slightly more advanced techs with his projectiles to maximize spam and minimize downtime. You also need to be good at spacing with his Zair.
Really, I love playing Link and I'm busting my *** to learn to do this stuff, I just think it's maddening.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
I'm just trying to get into the advanced movement techs... Arrow cancelling is easy enough, DAC as well. Now I'm trying to learn the craq walk. But after I've watched the tutorial for wavebouncing, I wonder how it's possible without B-Sticking...
Link might become better over the years, but it will take a really long time compared to all the easy-mode-chars on the roster. Why learning Link if you can just pick up and play Snake, MK, Lucario etc?

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
because if u can main link, you can main anyone. if you can get good with link and win, you can say..."i just beat you with LINK!" if you can OWN with link, you can say "EAT IT! QUIT THIS GAME YOU JUST GOT OWNED BY LINK" also, maining link proves you are humble...

D

Deleted member

I always need a stiff drink. ..... that's what she said.
i lol'd

It takes way too much skill to be good with Link and even if you are a beast with him, you will lose to somebody that uses a top tier character (snake mk falco) just because of character strengths

in brawl: Tier > Skill

brawl is unbalanced, either deal with it or change mains

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, because of the lack of real, universally usable techs, there isn't much space upwards to get better. It's just "mindgames", but you can't even out obvious character weaknesses. In Melee, you could play Link both offensively and defensively (and quite well if you had skill), in Brawl you have to rely on your defence. Completely.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Oh no, my main characters are Zamus and Marth. I've got most of the mechanics down for Zero Suit, and I've been playing Marth since Melee came out. Zamus also has a high learning curve (Link's is definitely higher), but she can actually win larger tournaments despite obvious shortcomings. I think to be amazing as Link it would just require so many tricks of the trade it would cause your head to explode.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Is anyone else feeling that Link mains have dedicated themselves to a world of madness? Our character is beaten out by characters who are bottom feeders (and metaknight :psycho: )... and can do well against Snake and D3. Dunno but some days after playing Link I feel I really need a stiff drink. Though my friend says I'm generally a masochist when it comes to this game, considering I main ZSS.

...which is why you get a secondary. Dont feel bad if you get beaten by everyone.
back in melee, people like Fumi, Taj, t!mmy, t0mmy, GERM, and such others mained low-bottom tired characters. But they are known for their mass skill with those characters, even if they get beaten every match (which they dont) Just hang on tight with Link, soon the Link community will discovery some awesome ATs with Link that can make him better.

VanHero

Smash Cadet
poor Link I though he would do well after the first SSBB Demo........... but then Sakurai brings out the Toon freak and crushes my dreams

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Maining Link is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

But there are people out there who can beat guns barehanded.

Same counts for this. Playing with Link is just a true test of skill.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
Never give up! Link will soon reign down his superiority over the lesser mortals and they will cower from the light of his mighty sword. His tunic will gimp all who look upon it and those who hear his beastly "HIYAAA!" will edgeguard themselves out of shock and sudden fear! His boomerang will blow away entire armies of Metaknights and his arrows will pierce thousands of reflectors and all those reflecting wussies will run away crying like the little cowards they know the are. His bombs will destroy entire stages, there will be no sissy tier arguments, and any who dare challenge his greatness will receive a complementary kick of justice that will melt their faces as they realize that if they were half as manly as him they would collapse into a black hole of manliness because only he is THE MAN.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Yea, after some frustrating losses with Link, I have grown to realize that I can win with like half the cast in friendly matches...you'd be surprised how easy it is to space with Ike and Marth after you are trying to space with Link. Just play Meta Knight or one of those ezmode heroes after playing Link for a while, and you will really want to get a drink. It is like "oh wow, I go from losing most of my matches with Link versus Wolf, to winning most of my matches" and I have played Meta Knight maybe 400 games, compared to 2000 with Link (just in brawl). So yeah, Link players definitely need a drink every now and then.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Never give up! Link will soon reign down his superiority over the lesser mortals and they will cower from the light of his mighty sword. His tunic will gimp all who look upon it and those who hear his beastly "HIYAAA!" will edgeguard themselves out of shock and sudden fear! His boomerang will blow away entire armies of Metaknights and his arrows will pierce thousands of reflectors and all those reflecting wussies will run away crying like the little cowards they know the are. His bombs will destroy entire stages, there will be no sissy tier arguments, and any who dare challenge his greatness will receive a complementary kick of justice that will melt their faces as they realize that if they were half as manly as him they would collapse into a black hole of manliness because only he is THE MAN.
LOL, this is amazing, I should add it to my signature.

Black Dragon

Smash Cadet
I keep trucking along with Link even when I lose. Most of my matches are somewhat close, and I know that I still have a steep learning curve to overcome. He's fun to use. Just got to work projectile spam better, despite people who cry out "Ur a spammer, u sux". It's all part of the game, so it's fair.

Shmexy

Smash Rookie
Maining Link is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

This is so true. It is the ultamate test of skill, and we all deserve a drink on Sakurai's bill. I mained Link in both 64 and melee. After so many years of playing him i'm now looking for other characters to play to change it up a bit. Even if i dont end up maining Link in brawl, he'll always be my favorite little secret weapon. When i'm pwning my opponent and they start johning, i'll shut em up with my old friend.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
I always win. My friends really don't bother on getting better. It's pretty boring in these parts.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
this Is So True. It Is The Ultamate Test Of Skill, And We All Deserve A Drink On Sakurai's Bill. I Mained Link In Both 64 And Melee. After So Many Years Of Playing Him I'm Now Looking For Other Characters To Play To Change It Up A Bit. Even If I Dont End Up Maining Link In Brawl, He'll Always Be My Favorite Little Secret Weapon. When I'm Pwning My Opponent And They Start Johning, I'll Shut Em Up With My Old Friend.
^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom