• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is how you beat a Metaknight

Uffe

Smash Hero
Two stocked and in such a short amount of time, too. That was nice.

coconutcommander

Smash Rookie
Thanks for comments guys :p

Also, haha he wasnt mad, i dont think he realized what happend right away though XD

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
that was pretty good, nice spikes. using fair to jabs is the main way i deal damage to meta knights, fair is the only thing that keeps ness on a competitive level w/ him. Only thing I'd advise is to put a lot more short-hopped dairs and dash grabs into your gameplay. there were many times when you dash attacked instead of dash grabs and he sheilded/punished you. With the short hop dair that connects a lot because meta knights like to dsmash when they see you coming (like he did once or so in this vid) and a short hop dair jumps over it and connects, it's great for mindgames and damage.

coconutcommander

Smash Rookie
ViceGrip: Yeah i admitted this was a terrible match :p im much better than this example. One thing i have to disagree on is the use of grabs, ness' grab is pretty teensie, and vs mk, its nice to have the reliable back throw. Fair > Grab works more than people like it to ;) also if you miss thats punishment from mk.

Oh, and the shorthopped dair, not sure why people use it so much? guess i havnt seen anyone ever use it effectively aside from a kill move.

BTW, most people know to forward air when you do your down throw, but theres alot of people who will air dodge instead, and if your at the edge of the stage, its just uber to downthrow into a dair for the kill, soo many people fall for it

Gaussis

Smash Ace
One thing i have to disagree on is the use of grabs, ness' grab is pretty teensie, and vs mk, its nice to have the reliable back throw. Fair > Grab works more than people like it to ;) also if you miss thats punishment from mk.

Oh, and the shorthopped dair, not sure why people use it so much? guess i havnt seen anyone ever use it effectively aside from a kill move.
Standing grab has a small range. Dash-grabs however have more and move Ness forward by a significant amount. Pivot grabs are also effective since they can catch an opponent from the air.

SH dair is a move that punishes rolls and dodges. People sometimes approach with it as a mindgame because Ness lands laglessly after using SH dair and can catch unsuspecting opponents. It is almost never a kill move unless you land a spike or a sourspotted dair.

coconutcommander

Smash Rookie
jorge199494: I dont use pk fire that often :p find it too laggy (yes i know there are ways around it but meh!)

Gaussis: Good advice but what i meant was i dont use the grabs very often, and like to save it for a back throw that can kill easier than if you use throw often. Also, good advice on the SH downair, i never thought of it as a roll/dodge punisher but it seems to be reliable (probably help against lucario, and his massive amount of rolls)

Thanks for comments again guys!

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Try throwing your opponents other ways. Dthrow and fthrow are excellent, fthrow more than dthrow, and uthrow sets up for PKT. Bthrow is obviously the kill throw. All of his throws are useful.

coconutcommander

Smash Rookie
jorge199494: Oh another thought. PK Fire sounds like it could be a good trap for a grounded mk, sucks that all the ones i face like air too much.

Good tactic, the reverse PK Fire. Running away and then surprise! fire into your face. :)

coconutcommander

Smash Rookie
Gaussis: Most i used Fthrow for was to go into a Fair heh, and i dont use pktunder often either, i play against people who are good, nothing worse than missing and being punished. :(

Decent on say battlefield though i guess, platforms can cancel it nicely for you.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Good tactic, the reverse PK Fire. Running away and then surprise! fire into your face. :)
you'd probably get hit before you can get the PKF out, unless its a jumping PKF... still a bad choice imo

EDIT: ^thats if they are chasing you, but i guess if they were just standing still waiting for you to do something, it could possibly work

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Gaussis: Most i used Fthrow for was to go into a Fair heh, and i dont use pktunder often either, i play against people who are good, nothing worse than missing and being punished. :(

Decent on say battlefield though i guess, platforms can cancel it nicely for you.
I understand they are good, that metaknight looked pretty good. But what gaussis is saying is true. use more grabs. there was many times i saw you had chances to grab that metaknight(one time he shuttle looped and fell, u dash attacked him, more effective to grab). dthrows can set up to fair combos, or even pkf if u know how. pkf->dthrow or upthrow is nice too. Once you get good at juggling you can do interesting things like pkf->upthrow->pkt juggle, mindgame it bring to a pkt2 xP.

_clinton

Smash Master
I love watching good Ness' pwn MKs that aren't as good...Anyone ever play with a guy named Xero?

He is #24 at AiB according to him...and he is very good...

Uffe

Smash Hero
I love watching good Ness' pwn MKs that aren't as good...Anyone ever play with a guy named Xero?

He is #24 at AiB according to him...and he is very good...
I thought a lot of people recognized brdy...

_clinton

Smash Master
I thought a lot of people recognized brdy...
Ok...I'll bite...1st off...the guy does seem to know MK's tricks on that stage so...

I'm thinking lack of EXP vs. Ness is the reason behind that 3 stock I guess...

Top Bottom