• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This Guys Is Saying To NEVER Practice Against LV. 9 Cpus, You Guys Agree?

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Yes, level 9 CPU’s are the worst way to practice. They have frame perfect reactions, they can be cheesed like any CPU, and they don’t adapt. Level 1 CPU’s are better because they let you combo them, but they will occasionally DI and don’t have frame perfect reactions.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Yes, level 9 CPU’s are the worst way to practice. They have frame perfect reactions, they can be cheesed like any CPU, and they don’t adapt. Level 1 CPU’s are better because they let you combo them, but they will occasionally DI and don’t have frame perfect reactions.
I Personally Don't Agree With Him, I'm A Really Decent Player, And Most Of The Time I'm Fighting LV. 9 CPUS, But I Can Still Beat Good Players.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
I Also Want To Actually Have FUN Instead Of Just Practicing Combos, I Want To Get Better, But I Also Want To Have Fun Playing.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I Personally Don't Agree With Him, I'm A Really Decent Player, And Most Of The Time I'm Fighting LV. 9 CPUS, But I Can Still Beat Good Players.
Then you aren’t fighting good players. I’m sorry, but thats the truth. Any kind of pro or semi-pro will be the first to say that they are not good practice. They promote bad habits and cheese instead of actually learning how to play. If you play Chrom and fighting CPU’s, you can just Up-b at ledge and kill them without losing a stock. if you try that in a public match, your gonna fall apart against good players because they have an understanding of what moves are safe, kill, combo, trade stocks, et cetera. CPU’s don’t.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I Also Want To Actually Have FUN Instead Of Just Practicing Combos, I Want To Get Better, But I Also Want To Have Fun Playing.
Than you can say that, doesn’t change the fact that they are literally the worst way to practice. He is talking from a practice/competive stand point. Since your obviously not competitive and just play for fun, just ignore those videos and focus on the fun aspect.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Then you aren’t fighting good players. I’m sorry, but thats the truth. Any kind of pro or semi-pro will be the first to say that they are not good practice. They promote bad habits and cheese instead of actually learning how to play. If you play Chrom and fighting CPU’s, you can just Up-b at ledge and kill them without losing a stock. if you try that in a public match, your gonna fall apart against good players because they have an understanding of what moves are safe, kill, combo, trade stocks, et cetera. CPU’s don’t.
Well I Don't See How Something Just Letting You Combo It Will Help Either.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Because you get muscle memory, which lvl 9 CPU’s dont give you.
Real People Won't Just Let You Combo Them Tho, And I Hop On Training Mode Often To Practice Combos But Still Can't Let It In A Real Battle Because I Don't Know When To Actually Go For It, When I Try It Most Of The Time I Get Killed For It.

Last edited:

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
They also don’t have perfect DI or reactions, which CPU’s do.
Well If I Just Practice Combos On Someone Who Does Nothing, I Never Know When To Actually Go For A Combo, Since The CPU I Practice It On Doesn't Try To Avoid It, Then I Go For It And Get Punished Because I Never Know When To Go For It. Oops Earlier I Forgot To Mention I'm Fighting Player Nearly In Elite.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Well If I Just Practice Combos On Someone Who Does Nothing, I Never Know When To Actually Go For A Combo, Since The CPU I Practice It On Doesn't Try To Avoid It, Then I Go For It And Get Punished Because I Never Know When To Go For It.
At this point, all I can say is that when you get better at the game, you will understand what I’m saying. What you just said opens a whole new can of worms including conditioning, safety on shield, baits and punishes, understating the other players options, understanding your options, and ending lag vs landing lag. Its too much to explain, but I will simplify it.

If you want to land a Mario up air combo, and the opponent knows that, instead of going for the landing up air, do a tomahawk grab. Now they are scared that you will do it again, so in anticipation of you grabbing, the spotdodge. They avoid your attack and don’t notice you were going for the up air combo. Your in the same position a third time, and you know that they will want to spot-dodge. That’s when you threaten a tomahawk grab by simply landing in front of them and doing nothing. If they spot dodge, you can short hop fast fall up air and do your Mario combo. Its much more complicated than this, but you will figure this out more when you get better.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Well If I Just Practice Combos On Someone Who Does Nothing, I Never Know When To Actually Go For A Combo, Since The CPU I Practice It On Doesn't Try To Avoid It, Then I Go For It And Get Punished Because I Never Know When To Go For It. Oops Earlier I Forgot To Mention I'm Fighting Player Nearly In Elite.
Elite smash means nothing. Trust me, throw away the mentality of “elite smash”. In truth, elite smash players are 10x worse than the average arena player.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Elite smash means nothing. Trust me, throw away the mentality of “elite smash”. In truth, elite smash players are 10x worse than the average arena player.
Yeah, I Already Realise This, But This Guy Is Making It Out Like You Can't Be Even At Least DECENT If You Fight CPUS

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Yeah, I Already Realise This, But This Guy Is Making It Out Like You Can't Be Even At Least DECENT If You Fight CPUS
tbh, if your fighting CPU’s a lot, your a lot worse than the average player because your not actally improving.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
tbh, if your fighting CPU’s a lot, your a lot worse than the average player because your not actally improving.
I Still Fight Real Players, But I'm Unable To Do It Often (At Least Against Players Who Are Any Good At The Game) Due To Me Not Having A Good Connection If I Play Where My Switch Dock Is, If I Want Good Connection Handheld Mode's My Only Choice And Everyone I Can Play Local With Isn't Very Good.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
I Still Fight Real Players, But I'm Unable To Do It Often (At Least Against Players Who Are Any Good At The Game) Due To Me Not Having A Good Connection If I Play Where My Switch Dock Is, If I Want Good Connection Handheld Mode's My Only Choice And Everyone I Can Play Local With Isn't Very Good. Why Did It Post This 3 Times?!?

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I Still Fight Real Players, But I'm Unable To Do It Often (At Least Against Players Who Are Any Good At The Game) Due To Me Not Having A Good Connection If I Play Where My Switch Dock Is, If I Want Good Connection Handheld Mode's My Only Choice And Everyone I Can Play Local With Isn't Very Good. Why Did It Post This 3 Times?!?
If you don’t fight many real players that are good at the game, just focus on having fun at the moment. Competitive smash is really hard and takes a lot of time to learn, so playing competitive on and off against other players in your situation just isn’t viable. Play CPU’s if you want, but you will pick up habits. That’s all for tonight. Bye.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
If you don’t fight many real players that are good at the game, just focus on having fun at the moment. Competitive smash is really hard and takes a lot of time to learn, so playing competitive on and off against other players in your situation just isn’t viable. Play CPU’s if you want, but you will pick up habits. That’s all for tonight. Bye.
I Take Getting Better Seriously.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I Take Getting Better Seriously.
you cant at the moment however. Its just not feasible. If you play real players for a day, then only play CPU players for a bit, your gonna be improving at an incredibly slow rate, and you will barely ever evolve as a player. If you want to really want to improve, go to local tournaments or just play offline more often.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
you cant at the moment however. Its just not feasible. If you play real players for a day, then only play CPU players for a bit, your gonna be improving at an incredibly slow rate, and you will barely ever evolve as a player. If you want to really want to improve, go to local tournaments or just play offline more often.
All People I Can Play Locals With Arent Very Good, And I Have No Idea Where Tournaments Are (Let Alone Enter One Or Being Able To)

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
All People I Can Play Locals With Arent Very Good, And I Have No Idea Where Tournaments Are (Let Alone Enter One Or Being Able To)
Than play against said local players. As long as you fight each other, you will all improve. Besides, a beginning player should fight other beginning players. Beginning players fighting good players is not fun for either side. A bad player is gonna be struggling to do anything and be discouraged while the good player is gonna be bored because its so easy.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Than play against said local players. As long as you fight each other, you will all improve. Besides, a beginning player should fight other beginning players. Beginning players fighting good players is not fun for either side. A bad player is gonna be struggling to do anything and be discouraged while the good player is gonna be bored because its so easy.
We Are FAR From The Same Skill Level, I Absolutely Annialate Them Every Time. Only Times They Beat Me Is If We Arent 1v1ing Each Other.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
We Are FAR From The Same Skill Level, I Absolutely Annialate Them Every Time.
Than keep playing them anyway. Keep annihilating them and they should eventually start catching up with you. That’s how I first started, getting beaten by my friends over and over until we eventually got an even ground. if they are easy now, play them for 5 months and they will probably start going even with you.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Than keep playing them anyway. Keep annihilating them and they should eventually start catching up with you. That’s how I first started, getting beaten by my friends over and over until we eventually got an even ground. if they are easy now, play them for 5 months and they will probably start going even with you.
They Kinda Scream At The Top Of Their Lungs Every Time I Win, Not Very Doable.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather fight against CPUs than participate in laggy matches against cheesy/spammy players online who would get rocked if it wasn't for the ridiculous input delay.

Did I forget to say input lag and atrocious netcode? Ofc not, those two hinder my gameplay way more than just fighting against a CPU. Granted, I don't fight against Lv. 9 CPUs anymore and I prefer Lv. 7s since they act more humanlike. But fact being, not everyone has a group of friends and even less experienced players to hang around with, and since not everyone shares that priviledge it boils down to;
-Getiing rekt by input lag, also say hi to K. Rool, Samus, Link and many other characters with unfun playstyles who get benefited by said lag, so in the end you just end up facing bad players
-Playing against lower level CPUs and rock them everytime

there's simply no in-between right now

Last edited:

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
I'd rather fight against CPUs than participate in laggy matches against cheesy/spammy players online who would get rocked if it wasn't for the ridiculous input delay.

Did I forget to say input lag and atrocious netcode? Ofc not, those two hinder my gameplay way more than just fighting against a CPU. Granted, I don't fight against Lv. 9 CPUs anymore and I prefer Lv. 7s since they act more humanlike. But fact being, not everyone has a group of friends and even less experienced players to hang around with, not everyone shares that priviledge so it boils down to;
-Getiing rekt by input lag, also say hi to K. Rool, Samus, Link and many other characters with unfun playstyles who get benefited by said lag, so at the end you just end up facing bad players
-Playing against lower level CPUs and rock them everytime

there's simply no in-between right now
Yeah And It Sucks

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Overall, I agree with the opening video. Fighting humans will help the vast majority improve more than fighting lvl 9 CPUs. Now there are exceptions to the rule, just like anything else, but those are rare.

Top Bottom