• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game, along with others, make me borderline have a mental breakdown.

Forgeblazer

Smash Rookie
Im not going to get into it that much, but if you couldnt tell from the title, im a person with anger issues. Very, VERY bad anger issues at that. For nearly any game i play that i take competitively, including smash, i struggle to play for longer than 5 some games, or more than an hour. I usually hop in a couple games, Lose, lose, lose again, and then the madness really starts to begin. at this point, im tilted beyond belief, about 4 or so games in. i chuck my controller across the room, tear apart my couch, scream a bit, and tell myself, "you suck. youll never even be above average, you losing to 20k gsp ice climbers that spam side B over and over, wow your horrible!" over. and over. and OVER. and then im freaking out, talking to myself saying threats to the people i lost to, and then after about 5 some minutes, im calm again, but take a 2-3 hour break because i think im horrible and i shouldnt even play the game. this doesnt just happen with smash, this happens with any game i take seriously. it happens in TF2 all the time, a game i have nearly 3000 hours in, and almost any time my team loses, PERIOD, i quit, and do the same thing i do with smash but to a lesser degree, and i get more mad at my teammates, rather than myself. And one response i preferably wouldnt like to take is "just dont play video games lol", because the problem is, i love these games, and ive grown up with them, the only problem is, as i grow up more, and my life gets more stressful, ive been getting angrier, and angrier, MUCH MUCH easier recently. i could play TF2 and sm4sh for hours on end without getting mad back in, say, 2015, but nowadays i just freak out any time i lose in either. The worst part about this is that im self aware about my issues, but i just cant seem to figure out how to fix this. any good advice on how to fix my mentality and calm down easier would be great, thanks for taking your time reading this.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Why not just go arena instead of quickplay. It almost feels like online was an afterthought with how incredibly bad it was at start up and still is. Quickplay brings forth some of the worst players I've met as far as cheesing goes because they're all caught up on gsp instead of having a good time. And possibly learning to play better. And Nintendo encourages that behavior or so it seems with how they set up most of quickplay/online.

I'd also suggest finding a group of people (not randoms online) who you'd be cool with sparing with and helping you with your game.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
This isn't a Smash-related video, but this dude brings up some good points that might seem helpful to you. He's also fun to watch.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think you need to step back from the game and take some anger management classes. Just think about how ridiculous it sounds to throw things and hate on yourself. You probably treat other people better than you treat yourself. If this is the case, then you need to learn to love yourself. Write a list of positive things about yourself. What do others say about you? Instead of complaining about things in your control, spend that energy on solutions.

Having a score in front of you, reminding you where you're at is somewhat of a problem. I doubt the developers were aware that keeping track might worsen the mindsets of those who have emotional or mental issues. When you enter a match, or before you do, remind yourself that as long as you play, there will always be the potential to lose. That is inevitable. Instead of seeing this as failure, see it as an opportunity for growth. Learn from your mistakes. I wish the best for you.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
wow sound like me - the anger stuff destroying the things around me will just make the matters worse, instead of you thinking your bad at the game you will be bad at the game and have a broken 60 dollar controller

I think you need to step back from the game and take some anger management classes. Just think about how ridiculous it sounds to throw things and hate on yourself. You probably treat other people better than you treat yourself. If this is the case, then you need to learn to love yourself. Write a list of positive things about yourself. What do others say about you? Instead of complaining about things in your control, spend that energy on solutions.

Having a score in front of you, reminding you where you're at is somewhat of a problem. I doubt the developers were aware that keeping track might worsen the mindsets of those who have emotional or mental issues. When you enter a match, or before you do, remind yourself that as long as you play, there will always be the potential to lose. That is inevitable. Instead of seeing this as failure, see it as an opportunity for growth. Learn from your mistakes. I wish the best for you.
this is why I think a point system would be better, you win you get points if not you get nothing. At least when you lose then it don't fill like you just lost 3 matches worth of work. GSP it seems like a win will net you 100,000 but a lose drains 300,000 which makes no sense. It makes the next 3 games fill like catch up games at least with points you never fill like your losing progress. Your rank may be the same both ways but both promote different mindsets

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend seeing a good therapist to help with the anger issues and learning how to recognize and manage that anger and the thought processes, triggers, unmet needs, paradigms, and signs that lead to it. I've got a lot of suggestions on managing emotions that work for me, but I'm in no way, shape, or form a mental health professional.

Last edited:
Top Bottom