• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I think the real question about Paper Mario would be would he represent the Super Mario Series or the Paper Mario Series?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think the real question about Paper Mario would be would he represent the Super Mario Series or the Paper Mario Series?
Considering how he teased him and how the sage was made, own series.

You know, the dead giveaway that told me it was a tease was that the stage as mario rep would make repping here redundant. If you look at rainbow road, it's only one location of a whole series and only one location is represented. I think it's not repped enough to say that the mario kart series is treated as a whole entity, but rather as a branch related to the main series.

But here, it's just way too fishy to claim that. The core of the main series already got repped along with mario kart. The only stage left that would be worth is Bowser's castle since it's still a well known location of the main series not repped so far.

This stage being representing one game from 2004 and one game from 2012 shows you how broad this stage rep the series. How can this sounds like a branch series related to the main one if it represents the series as a whole? That's like it's a separate entity and not even telling anything in the caption along with "for the first time ever" is really pushing it way too far.

Nothing clearly says what this stage rep and the fact that the most used counterargument to this is "stage is repping existing mario characters and not Paper Mario" isn't the truth, but IMPLIED.

The simple existence of this arguments ironically supports greatly my theory. The one that are most likely to think about a hidden tease are supporters while the first to deny it is non supporters or dislikers.

Check little mac, that's what happened in his thread and people got the tease while everyone else was mind blown after. Palutena is the same if you exclude the tease in the direct as it was way too obvious.

Ridley is exactly what's happening now.

And Greninja is exactly how it will happen now.

If the same pattern happened 3 times, is happening a 4th time since August 20, I think people should seriously consider this as a 5th one. Really, check what will happen to the one denying this after we know: mind blown guaranted.

So, now, I'm sure it's his series now.

EDIT: the tattle log section is up!

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Just thought of a neat idea for a stage--the Thousand Year Door from Paper Mario TTYD!
No, not the Palace of Shadow, or inside the door...

Right in front of it, with the pedestal where you hold the magical map right in the center, the door in the backround. After a minute of battle or so, the door can open (with the same dark clouds and vortex spewing out as it did when it opened the first time) and a dramatic entrance of the Shadow Queen can be made. Still in the backround, she would be a stage hazard rather than a boss. She could send out her giant hands onto the battlefield to slap a nearby player, or suck energy from a player below her hand, dealing damage to them.

After about a minute or two of this, the pedestal could glow and the Crystal Stars could appear, and seal the door shut, locking the Shadow Queen back inside.
This could be the Wii U stage to represent Paper Mario. I think it'd be neat if his newcomer trailer had all of this going on while he showed off moves using his partners and signature hammer.

Just a thought that came to me, is all.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Just thought of a neat idea for a stage--the Thousand Year Door from Paper Mario TTYD!
No, not the Palace of Shadow, or inside the door...

Right in front of it, with the pedestal where you hold the magical map right in the center, the door in the backround. After a minute of battle or so, the door can open (with the same dark clouds and vortex spewing out as it did when it opened the first time) and a dramatic entrance of the Shadow Queen can be made. Still in the backround, she would be a stage hazard rather than a boss. She could send out her giant hands onto the battlefield to slap a nearby player, or suck energy from a player below her hand, dealing damage to them.

After about a minute or two of this, the pedestal could glow and the Crystal Stars could appear, and seal the door shut, locking the Shadow Queen back inside.
This could be the Wii U stage to represent Paper Mario. I think it'd be neat if his newcomer trailer had all of this going on while he showed off moves using his partners and signature hammer.

Just a thought that came to me, is all.
I loved it! I want it!

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Considering how he teased him and how the sage was made, own series.

You know, the dead giveaway that told me it was a tease was that the stage as mario rep would make repping here redundant. If you look at rainbow road, it's only one location of a whole series and only one location is represented. I think it's not repped enough to say that the mario kart series is treated as a whole entity, but rather as a branch related to the main series.

But here, it's just way too fishy to claim that. The core of the main series already got repped along with mario kart. The only stage left that would be worth is Bowser's castle since it's still a well known location of the main series not repped so far.

This stage being representing one game from 2004 and one game from 2012 shows you how broad this stage rep the series. How can this sounds like a branch series related to the main one if it represents the series as a whole? That's like it's a separate entity and not even telling anything in the caption along with "for the first time ever" is really pushing it way too far.

Nothing clearly says what this stage rep and the fact that the most used counterargument to this is "stage is repping existing mario characters and not Paper Mario" isn't the truth, but IMPLIED.

The simple existence of this arguments ironically supports greatly my theory. The one that are most likely to think about a hidden tease are supporters while the first to deny it is non supporters or dislikers.

Check little mac, that's what happened in his thread and people got the tease while everyone else was mind blown after. Palutena is the same if you exclude the tease in the direct as it was way too obvious.

Ridley is exactly what's happening now.

And Greninja is exactly how it will happen now.

If the same pattern happened 3 times, is happening a 4th time since August 20, I think people should seriously consider this as a 5th one. Really, check what will happen to the one denying this after we know: mind blown guaranted.

So, now, I'm sure it's his series now.

EDIT: the tattle log section is up!
I really hope you're right about this. It just makes way too much sense.
Yeah, I would love moves with badges. There's so much possible!!!
Yeah, I began running out of ideas, until I thought, "Hey, couldn't he use a little more power?" Then I realized that there are plenty of badges that could do this. It was between 'All or Nothing' and 'Power Rush', but I thought that the former sounded cooler, and I liked the way it looked. As for the roster...
CONFIRMED
1. Pit
2. Bowser
3. Pikachu
4. Fox
5. Kirby
6. Samus
7. Wii Fit Trainer
8. Mega Man
9. Link
10. Donkey Kong
11. Mario
12. Villager
13. Pikmin & Olimar
14. Luigi
15. Peach
16. Toon Link
17. Sonic
18. Marth
19. Rosalina & Luma
20. Zelda
21. King DeDeDe
22. Lucario
23. Little Mac
24. Diddy Kong
25. Zero Suit Samus
26. Sheik
27. Greninja
28. Yoshi
29. Charizard
30. Ike
31. Palutena
32. Pac-Man
33. Captain Falcon
34. Lucina
35. Robin
UNCONFIRMED RETURNING
36. Ness
37. Jigglypuff
38. Mr. Game & Watch
39. Meta Knight
40. Wario
41. Ice Climbers
42. Falco
43. Lucas
44. Ganondorf
45. Wolf
46. Mewtwo
POSSIBLE NEWCOMERS
47. Shulk
48. Chorus Kids
49. Ridley
50. Paper Mario
51. Prof. Layton
52. ???
53. ???
54. ???
RANDOM
55. Random
I feel like we could get a good 54 characters, plus the random character slot. I removed R.O.B., Snake, and the two leftover Pokemon. I feel that it's still possible for R.O.B. to return, just less likely than the other returning veterans. I added to the possible newcomers list all of the characters that seem to have been teased, plus Professor Layton because I'm biased as heck. 54 characters plus random would make a 5x11 grid, a good upgrade to Brawl. Maybe you could remove Layton and put random and Miis to the sides, however. Either way, I gotta contribute somehow, right?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Paper Mario Final Smash: Power Bounce!

Paper Mario does a Spring Jump high in the air. While he's up he'll land back down in about 4 seconds. During air time you're able to move Paper Mario while he is falling to steady your aim. When you land, anyone caught in the descent or on the shockwave hitting the ground will be caught in the 2nd phase of the Final Smash.

On the middle left of the screen a giant green A button will appear that will signify the timing for your Power Bounces. Every hit you successfully time will add another jump until you reach a maximum of 11 hits. If you make it far enough, Paper Mario finishers with a stylish front flip coming down with his hammer to finish the Smash. Every hit is welcomed with a NICE, GOOD, SUPER, GREAT, WONDERFUL, EXCELLENT until the final hit saying PERFECT! and a small crowd will appear in the foreground to cheer you on!

This FS actually takes a small amount of skill to use. If you miss the action command the Final Smash will end but the timing has been adjusted to be easier than DK's Final Smash with its new displayed timings.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Paper Mario Final Smash: Power Bounce!

Paper Mario does a Spring Jump high in the air. While he's up he'll land back down in about 4 seconds. During air time you're able to move Paper Mario while he is falling to steady your aim. When you land, anyone caught in the descent or on the shockwave hitting the ground will be caught in the 2nd phase of the Final Smash.

On the middle left of the screen a giant green A button will appear that will signify the timing for your Power Bounces. Every hit you successfully time will add another jump until you reach a maximum of 11 hits. If you make it far enough, Paper Mario finishers with a stylish front flip coming down with his hammer to finish the Smash. Every hit is welcomed with a NICE, GOOD, SUPER, GREAT, WONDERFUL, EXCELLENT until the final hit saying PERFECT! and a small crowd will appear in the foreground to cheer you on!

This FS actually takes a small amount of skill to use. If you miss the action command the Final Smash will end but the timing has been adjusted to be easier than DK's Final Smash with its new displayed timings.
Hm, I like this, I think it'd be cool to have.

Oh, and when Paper Mario has the smash ball, instead of glowing and having Final Smash glowing eyes, what if he became Shiny, like when he used Kersti's power in the final battle of Sticker Star?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Can Tippi also do some tattling? I say Paper Mario would have a good grab game THIS MUST BE HIS GRAB ATTACK
Would you guys want the Sticker Book to be a taunt?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Can Tippi also do some tattling? I say Paper Mario would have a good grab game THIS MUST BE HIS GRAB ATTACK
Would you guys want the Sticker Book to be a taunt?
I'm ok if some moves are from sticker star as long as it's not most of the moves.

Like, this is smash, he could use a move from this game and it could be good.

I already got convinced with the stage anyway because I like the sticker star part.

Also, yeah most people want this as grab. I did used in my moveset and I hope it will be the one he would have.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Tattle for :4pacman:

"Is… Is that Pac-man!? Wow, one of the most iconic video game characters in the world. He's slightly older than you, Mario, but don't let that stop you whupping his butt. Pac is strong but his hitbox is quite large so you can probably combo and punish him fairly easily.

His strength is in his fire hydrant. He can use it as a projectile or as a barrier, pushing away anyone that is trying to attack him. He also turns into his arcade version in his dash attack. That's so cool! Wagga wagga"

Tattle for :4megaman:

"Wow Megaman has made it to the biggest gaming celebration in the world. Megaman's strength is in his projectile game. His buster shots aren't high ranged, but get hit by a charged one and it's lethal. His Leaf Shield acts a barrier too. Pretty sure you had something like that once upon a time…

But, what makes him so Mega, Mario? Pretty sure you're a lot stronger than he is. Show him who's boss!"

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I think a potentially great final smash would be something that pulls elements from each game. They can.. leave sticker star out if they want though..

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Like the fact that we have a sticker star + TTYD proves me that if he was teased (which is likely), he won't be JUST sticker star based.

So, could still have partners and such.

Hey @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 could you change my name in the support list? I changed my name from Really Shy Guy to this current one
Ahh...Premium. Even tough I'll never change mine.

Changed (tough, I don't know why but the tag still works if I hadn't).

What I wonder now is how close his reveal would be to August 11 (PM64 anniversary). The stage was exactly a week after TTYD one, but the reveal?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Like the fact that we have a sticker star + TTYD proves me that if he was teased (which is likely), he won't be JUST sticker star based.

So, could still have partners and such.

Ahh...Premium. Even tough I'll never change mine.

Changed (tough, I don't know why but the tag still works if I hadn't).

What I wonder now is how close his reveal would be to August 11 (PM64 anniversary). The stage was exactly a week after TTYD one, but the reveal?
I hope we get a Zelda newcomer on this Monday (Ghirahim). But I want Paper Mario so badly too... we are close to release... there will really be secret newcomers even if Sakurai stated that everyone will have a trailer/video?

Paper Mario smells like unlockable for me...

Also, do you like my sig?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I think a potentially great final smash would be something that pulls elements from each game. They can.. leave sticker star out if they want though..
Previously I entertained a mix of Star Spirits, Crystal Stars, and Pure Hearts to create some sort of Super Move. I left out Sticker Star because I have no idea whatsoever what you do in the game.

As we know, every power, besides the pure hearts, do different things. Some heal, some attack, some buff, some debuff, etc. With those in mind, I thought it would be possible to just have the craziestthing happen where you are gradually healed, buffed up(as in Super Shroomed), your opponents debuffed, random Shooting Stars appear, Crystal Stars busting through walls, food and poison shrooms spawning in random places, characters falling asleep, giant Crystals Stars causing quakes, pure hearts continuously healing you and your teammates if any, Time Bombs bouncing around the area stopping time in different spots, and all kinds of crazy things just happening.

To make this a little more fair though. Paper Mario should have to walk to each Star or heart, which are spawned in different locations being vulnerable(as in, not invicible) during the duration of the FS. After running into one, Paper Mario only gets 2 seconds to get to the next.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Previously I entertained a mix of Star Spirits, Crystal Stars, and Pure Hearts to create some sort of Super Move. I left out Sticker Star because I have no idea whatsoever what you do in the game.

As we know, every power, besides the pure hearts, do different things. Some heal, some attack, some buff, some debuff, etc. With those in mind, I thought it would be possible to just have the craziestthing happen where you are gradually healed, buffed up(as in Super Shroomed), your opponents debuffed, random Shooting Stars appear, Crystal Stars busting through walls, food and poison shrooms spawning in random places, characters falling asleep, giant Crystals Stars causing quakes, pure hearts continuously healing you and your teammates if any, Time Bombs bouncing around the area stopping time in different spots, and all kinds of crazy things just happening.

To make this a little more fair though. Paper Mario should have to walk to each Star or heart, which are spawned in different locations being vulnerable(as in, not invicible) during the duration of the FS. After running into one, Paper Mario only gets 2 seconds to get to the next.
Sweet Treat looks like a cool Final Smash for me... also it uses all Crystal Stars in someway

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I hope we get a Zelda newcomer on this Monday (Ghirahim). But I want Paper Mario so badly too... we are close to release... there will really be secret newcomers even if Sakurai stated that everyone will have a trailer/video?

Paper Mario smells like unlockable for me...

Also, do you like my sig?
Yes I do.

I tough about the same for Ridley but because if that stage supposed to be on WiiU, I don't think so.

What I think is that such a stage was hidden for the same purpose as Greninja which was trailer setup. If there's a trailer and it needed a setup, I think it's before release.

But because the tease is so similar to every other cases, this would also be the same for Ridley.

I think this month will be hype honestly.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
If we get Paper Mario on the 11th, it'd be in time for the CoroCoro magazine to give a little more detail on him, since they'll be covering details on all the currently known characters. Plus, I don't think he'd be what people expect, since he'd blow out all leaks, so I'd really like for him to be unveiled by then :p

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
If we get Paper Mario on the 11th, it'd be in time for the CoroCoro magazine to give a little more detail on him, since they'll be covering details on all the currently known characters. Plus, I don't think he'd be what people expect, since he'd blow out all leaks, so I'd really like for him to be unveiled by then :p
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while (and I can't find it on google), what happens on the 11th?

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
August 11th is the anniversary of the Japanese release of Paper Mario for the N64.
August 12th is the new CoroCoro, which was announced to have details on every single character confirmed by then. (So it won't give any new details)

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
August 11th is the anniversary of the Japanese release of Paper Mario for the N64.
August 12th is the new CoroCoro, which was announced to have details on every single character confirmed by then. (So it won't give any new details)
Thanks. I was wondering if it was an anniversary or a direct or something- thought I heard a rumor of an august direct but I'm not sure.

There's also huge potential for a reveal trailer so we can only hope we get one, although it may be unlikely.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Thanks. I was wondering if it was an anniversary or a direct or something- thought I heard a rumor of an august direct but I'm not sure.

There's also huge potential for a reveal trailer so we can only hope we get one, although it may be unlikely.
Having a general direct makes any trailer likely.

Having being teased before make him in a trailer appear likely

Why it's unlikely?

The reason it's rumoured to be in August is because this would be the time it would usually happens which is 2 months after the last one (but we can consider E3 as being one).

I already did research on directs and most of them are the second or third weeks of the month, but rarely happens on Monday and frequently on Wednesday and Thursday. Seeing a direct in the same week would be enough for a red flag or even better, getting teased for one trailer the Friday before, but that is unlikely.

So, let's just wait, but I don't consider him being revealed unlikely because of that tease.

Actually, did you found that Sakurai was playing with your emotions?

That's supposed to be the point of the tease...

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Actually, did you found that Sakurai was playing with your emotions?

That's supposed to be the point of the tease...
Exactly. There have already been a ton of characters like this. I don't believe that he wants to build false hope, which is why he revealed Takamaru as an assist trophy quite quickly after his fans thought he would be playable after the game came to the US. The characters that I have noticed being teased so far are the following.
Paper Mario: You guys know already.
Ridley: Hasn't actually been shown as a boss character, but teased to supposedly be one.
Shulk: I feel like Sakurai set everyone up. He told Monolith Soft to retweet the trailer announcement to throw us off, which is perfectly okay if Shulk is a character.
Chorus Kids: RH enemy is Smash Run? All I can think of.
Mewtwo: Greninja trailer, high request. 'Nuff said.
Lucas: During E3, the guys shouts both "Give us Mother 3!", and "What about StarFox?". We got Starfox announced, we could see a virtual console version of Mother 3, bam. Reason for Lucas.
Of those characters, I feel we could get a trailer for Paper Mario and Shulk.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm dying of hype!
If I don't get Paper Mario, I think I will gonna die, also if I get him as a character, I will gonna die.
Anyway, I will die...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ok so I'm working on a new signature, but I want to make sure I include all of the partners. Are these all of them?
Goombario, Kooper, Bombette, Parakarry, Bow, Watt, Sushi, Lakilester
Goombella, Koops, Flurrie, Yoshi, Vivian, Bobbery, Ms. Mowz
I'm not including the Pixls.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Ok so I'm working on a new signature, but I want to make sure I include all of the partners. Are these all of them?
Goombario, Kooper, Bombette, Parakarry, Bow, Watt, Sushi, Lakilester
Goombella, Koops, Flurrie, Yoshi, Vivian, Bobbery, Ms. Mowz
I'm not including the Pixls.
Yep, that should be all of them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Exactly. There have already been a ton of characters like this. I don't believe that he wants to build false hope, which is why he revealed Takamaru as an assist trophy quite quickly after his fans thought he would be playable after the game came to the US. The characters that I have noticed being teased so far are the following.
Ridley: Hasn't actually been shown as a boss character, but teased to supposedly be one.
Shulk: I feel like Sakurai set everyone up. He told Monolith Soft to retweet the trailer announcement to throw us off, which is perfectly okay if Shulk is a character.
Lucas: During E3, the guys shouts both "Give us Mother 3!", and "What about StarFox?". We got Starfox announced, we could see a virtual console version of Mother 3, bam. Reason for Lucas.
i dont think people mistaking greninja as mewtwo is quite the same as being teased

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
i dont think people mistaking greninja as mewtwo is quite the same as being teased
Yeah, I guess it wasn't exactly a tease, but Sakurai must have known that people would think that. Either way, I don't really care if we get Mewtwo or not, though it would please a lot of people.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, I guess now I can explain his special teaseing method as I just lived it.

I will call them HTSRST, or "Hidden Tease by Stage Reveal with Selected Targeting"

Seems kinda long, but it explains the most of what's happening.

First, those tease are done by a stage reveal. To tell that it's HTSRST, it has to be hidden and done with selected targeting.

And that's the most interesting part here. See, Sakurai already acknowledged how any fan should feel upon deconfirmation of their favourite character. I could give a source, but I don't remember where he said that, but I think it was when he said that he would have to cut characters when it was needed or something.

So, I think it makes sense to say that he can understands the feeling of his fans.

Those tease are done with SELECTED TARGETING. It means that Sakurai will specifically design the tease to only work on a previously selected target of people. The target are the one who care about the character teased and the most determinate are the most targeted. For people who are not targeted, not only the tease doesn't work, but it also make those people assume the truth since the tease is hidden.

Those teases are hidden meaning that upon the revel of the stage, what triggers the tease is NOT saying something crucial for speculation, or at most, mention it, but by being intentionally UNCLEAR. For the target, they would get the tease because they would care so much that they would be tempted to analyse the material Sakurai gave with the reveal to realise that there's "something fishy". They would get that not being clear on this piece of info shouldn't happen and this is what triggers investigation to know what's going on.

But for the one who aren't targeted, they won't investigate and they won't get something weird since those don't care enough about the character. It makes them ASSUME the truth for what is first IMPLIED without actually have been said by Sakurai.

That's when the tease becomes hidden. By implying this truth, it would actually contradicts what the tease is trying to tell. This would make the people who aren't targeted DENY the tease and the only one who would get it is the target.

Because of this unbalanced knowledge, it creates speculations and so, the tease is more talked. For the people who denied it, the reveal would make more surprise since the possibility was denied.

The reason it's by stage reveal is because the stage is probably the best evidence you could provide to change the situation of any character's chance. Most stages has at least one playable character related to it and Sakurai choose stages that are more related to one character for his tease.

Making a stage requires a huge amount of work. There's so much details in them that the amount of work put into it has to be for a special reason. The teased stages are specifically related to one character to make a "home feel" for him.

That's why selected targeting works here. By caring about the character, you probably care about the stage choice too. By not caring, the tease has less chances to work as it's not something you would understand perfectly.

I just explained what happened at least 5 times in a global perspective. I'll let you compare this with the 4 other cases, but if I'm telling this here is to use Paper Mario tease as example.

A stage was revealed that is related to Paper Mario -> checked.

Sakurai wasn't clear if this stage is for the existing Mario characters, or Paper Mario which would be unannounced -> checked.

Because of this ambiguity, the people who care or most supporters were the first to realise that Sakurai was doing something weird or something that plays with their emotions -> checked (look, I own this thread and I reread the reveal crazyness and I can tell you that at least 10 people mentioned that Sakurai was playing with their heart or emotions).

As for most people that don't care that much, the stage repping existing Mario characters is implied to be the truth while it's not clear enough to tell -> checked (it's the most used counterarguments now).

With this counterarguments, the same deny the possibility of the teasing -> checked (this one is quite obvious).

By thinking about it, supporters realised the main Mario series would make the repping redundant and so, it would make more sense to be for Paper Mario -> checked (Ok, I came up with this, but I was met with agreement).

So, we have the stage reveal, the selected target which is us and it's hidden for every one not targeted.

I could go deeper and bring up the "for the first time ever" or the likely hidden WiiU stage for probable trailer setup, but you get that it's what happened every time and it's happening again.

Oh, about that stage, I found another evidence yesterday in this thread. The stage revealed is the 3DS one and Sakurai would hide the WiiU one for trailer setup. It turns out that the WiiU stages are the only one used in trailers...

So, now you know why it's not obvious. It's made for us, everyone else will miss it and deny it which would make more hype.

I think Paper Mario is on a HTSRST.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Ok, I guess now I can explain his special teaseing method as I just lived it.

I will call them HTSRST, or "Hidden Tease by Stage Reveal with Selected Targeting"

Seems kinda long, but it explains the most of what's happening.

First, those tease are done by a stage reveal. To tell that it's HTSRST, it has to be hidden and done with selected targeting.

And that's the most interesting part here. See, Sakurai already acknowledged how any fan should feel upon deconfirmation of their favourite character. I could give a source, but I don't remember where he said that, but I think it was when he said that he would have to cut characters when it was needed or something.

So, I think it makes sense to say that he can understands the feeling of his fans.

Those tease are done with SELECTED TARGETING. It means that Sakurai will specifically design the tease to only work on a previously selected target of people. The target are the one who care about the character teased and the most determinate are the most targeted. For people who are not targeted, not only the tease doesn't work, but it also make those people assume the truth since the tease is hidden.

Those teases are hidden meaning that upon the revel of the stage, what triggers the tease is NOT saying something crucial for speculation, or at most, mention it, but by being intentionally UNCLEAR. For the target, they would get the tease because they would care so much that they would be tempted to analyse the material Sakurai gave with the reveal to realise that there's "something fishy". They would get that not being clear on this piece of info shouldn't happen and this is what triggers investigation to know what's going on.

But for the one who aren't targeted, they won't investigate and they won't get something weird since those don't care enough about the character. It makes them ASSUME the truth for what is first IMPLIED without actually have been said by Sakurai.

That's when the tease becomes hidden. By implying this truth, it would actually contradicts what the tease is trying to tell. This would make the people who aren't targeted DENY the tease and the only one who would get it is the target.

Because of this unbalanced knowledge, it creates speculations and so, the tease is more talked. For the people who denied it, the reveal would make more surprise since the possibility was denied.

The reason it's by stage reveal is because the stage is probably the best evidence you could provide to change the situation of any character's chance. Most stages has at least one playable character related to it and Sakurai choose stages that are more related to one character for his tease.

Making a stage requires a huge amount of work. There's so much details in them that the amount of work put into it has to be for a special reason. The teased stages are specifically related to one character to make a "home feel" for him.

That's why selected targeting works here. By caring about the character, you probably care about the stage choice too. By not caring, the tease has less chances to work as it's not something you would understand perfectly.

I just explained what happened at least 5 times in a global perspective. I'll let you compare this with the 4 other cases, but if I'm telling this here is to use Paper Mario tease as example.

A stage was revealed that is related to Paper Mario -> checked.

Sakurai wasn't clear if this stage is for the existing Mario characters, or Paper Mario which would be unannounced -> checked.

Because of this ambiguity, the people who care or most supporters were the first to realise that Sakurai was doing something weird or something that plays with their emotions -> checked (look, I own this thread and I reread the reveal crazyness and I can tell you that at least 10 people mentioned that Sakurai was playing with their heart or emotions).

As for most people that don't care that much, the stage repping existing Mario characters is implied to be the truth while it's not clear enough to tell -> checked (it's the most used counterarguments now).

With this counterarguments, the same deny the possibility of the teasing -> checked (this one is quite obvious).

By thinking about it, supporters realised the main Mario series would make the repping redundant and so, it would make more sense to be for Paper Mario -> checked (Ok, I came up with this, but I was met with agreement).

So, we have the stage reveal, the selected target which is us and it's hidden for every one not targeted.

I could go deeper and bring up the "for the first time ever" or the likely hidden WiiU stage for probable trailer setup, but you get that it's what happened every time and it's happening again.

Oh, about that stage, I found another evidence yesterday in this thread. The stage revealed is the 3DS one and Sakurai would hide the WiiU one for trailer setup. It turns out that the WiiU stages are the only one used in trailers...

So, now you know why it's not obvious. It's made for us, everyone else will miss it and deny it which would make more hype.

I think Paper Mario is on a HTSRST.
I can't find a single thing wrong here. If they announce a Nintendo Direct in the next few days and it's in a week or so...
We will know what to expect.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I can't find a single thing wrong here. If they announce a Nintendo Direct in the next few days and it's in a week or so...
We will know what to expect.
If they announce a direct or a character reveal, it's going to be for Ridley, I'm pretty sure. It's too close to the Metroid anniversary.

If we do get a Paper Mario trailer, I think he'll be in a Smash Direct about a week before release.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Unless 2 newcomers for one trailer...

Great....

Now I want to see Paper Mario versus Ridley.

I think Paper Mario wouldn't like the fiery plasma breath. But I have to go put in an art request.

...I hope you're happy.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Great....

Now I want to see Paper Mario versus Ridley.

I think Paper Mario wouldn't like the fiery plasma breath. But I have to go put in an art request.

...I hope you're happy.
It's just a possibility. There could be 2 trailers, but in the same direct.

I just think both would be revealed by trailer.

You have to at least wait 2 weeks after the stage reveal because I forgot to mention that Sakurai use time to amplify the effect of the tease.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
You have to at least wait 2 weeks after the stage reveal because I forgot to mention that Sakurai use time to amplify the effect of the tease.
2 weeks after the reveal of the 3DS Paper Mario stage is the CoroCoro magazine-August 12th. With the Paper Mario Japanese anniversary the day before....is it possible it was laid out with the exact, perfect amount of time to work?

Top Bottom