• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THINKER: Shorthopping overrated?

Talib

Smash Rookie
Recently, I've been watching videos of Masashi and Thunders and have been noticing the lack of short hopping. I thought this was exclusive to Japan, but then noticed that Chillin'also doesn't shorthop. Maybe fast-falling and l-canceling Fox's full jump serves as a better mind game? It certainly isn't as fast as a shffl, but the trend can't be ignored.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Shuffling may be the fastest way to execute an aerial, but it's also the least number of frames that you're actually attacking.

I think you would do well to use both.

Smash Journeyman
they wouldnt be great players if they didnt have some sort trade mark or specialty in a fight.
i noticed alot that chillen and musashi didnt shffl a lot but theres also times where they do so keep in mind to not grow accustomed to not sfflin your airs especially with fox.

fatjellomilo

Smash Rookie
it's not "overrated," it's just not the ONLY option you should be using.

you should use a mix of both short-hopping/full hopped jumps, to leave yourself more options

Smash Journeyman
whatever wins you the match is what should be used even if predictable yet if your opponent allows it oh well.

predictability i find that most of the people who talk about something being to predictable
are often even more predictable in their fights.

everyone is predictable wether you believe it or not. you just have to keep a clear mind when fighting you cant just win a match by sh it takes full aerial attack sometimes to get that leveridge or force your opponent to take cover.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
They are not "overated" so to say, they are just not the exclusive option you should be using...

They are fast, but being 10 frames faster does not help if your opponent knew what you were going to do 60 frames ago...

Be crazy

technomancer

Smash Champion
Forward smash owns you if all you do is SHFFL. Play a good Zelda, and you'll see what I mean.

Full hops are the safest way to attack with Fox, but they're easier to shield-grab.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Full hopped nair into their shield then shine and you cannot be grabbed..especially if you start pillaring.

Top Bottom