• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Things That Bug you in Smash

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What's funny is that a similar situation happened with Olimar and Alph. Was it too much for Sakurai to atleast replace the Hocotate Ship with the S.S. Drake in Alph's final smash?
The same thing could also be asked about the Koopalings, since none of them have ever disguised themselves as Mario in any of the mainstream Super Mario titles.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Link's Gale Boomerang has more startup than Ness's PK Fire.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
ANY developer will take interest in what the playing community has to say. Whether it makes it into the game or not is another story. If players can coordinate together, then the more players that desire something the more likely it is to end up in the game. According to this thread, there's a lot of desire for the items in my post . . . items the community as a whole agrees need improvement.

If one remains silent, what chance is there?

This game is really good, but it has some serious flaws that inhibit it from reaching its full potential.
If I were to desire change without offering a solution, I'd be a fool.
If I were to desire change, but remain silent and just hope the developers figure it out themselves, I'd be a fool.

That thread does not exist for myself or other users to complain on. The tone found there is very much different from the tone found in this thread.
We're the hardcore Smash community. Sakurai, a Japanese, AKA, someone who won't listen to western fans as much, especially as we're the minority, who SPECIFICALLY said he won't consider us about game balance because of it somehow being unfair to the more casual fans. Don't delude yourself into thinking they'll listen. And have you even LOOKED at that 'feedback'? Give Tink the ability to heal 20% with a taunt. Have Mewtwo actually disable an attack. That's not reasonable, nor will it be possible to cover all that in patches, you need a whole new game for that. And guess what? Sakurai doesn't want to make a new Smash game!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What's funny is that a similar situation happened with Olimar and Alph. Was it too much for Sakurai to atleast replace the Hocotate Ship with the S.S. Drake in Alph's final smash?
Probably, they would have had to change the model's proportions. Also why do people still use Pittoo's FS as if that was the only reason he got separated? Sakurai just said that the 3 Sacred Treasures wouldn't fit on him, and people take it too seriously forgetting that the character also has a different properties in some of his moves namely his Neutral B and Side B; having a mechanical difference like that pretty merits him to become his own.

Dark Pit is only a separate character, simply because of the statement that it would look weird to see him using the Three Sacred Treasures. At least Dr. Mario and Lucina actually have differences that warrant making them separate characters.
Not quite, people like to cling to that statement as if it was the only reason but selectively forget what he also said earlier after Robin and Lucina's reveal:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqGH9l5mlg

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.
As I mentioned above, DP has some statistical differences in a couple of his moves, small as they are they certainly separate them from their original to get their own place. I believe there was also a statement mentioning how they worked on his Electroshock Arm.
Either way, I feel it's inaccurate to call it a waste since DP was just a last minute promoted reskin so he didn't get in over Wolf. The other scenario would have been just having him as an alt with one less spot on the roster.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
That Robin's just standing there with this huge hoard of buffs, but Jigglypuff can't even get a single one.
INJUSTICE.jpg

I can't help but be immensely jealous of Robin.

I mean, come on, Jigglypuff was arguably the worst character last game and this is how she's treated? Seriously? Would it really hurt anyone to give her a single buff?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Star Wolf theme is there, but no Wolf. Quite disturbing when you consider that Brawl had both of those things.

That Robin's just standing there with this huge hoard of buffs, but Jigglypuff can't even get a single one.
View attachment 94348

I mean, come on, Jigglypuff was arguably the worst character last game and this is how she's treated? Seriously? Would it really hurt anyone to give her a single buff?
Jigglypuff needs more than just A buff though.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Powercreep of items bugs me. In Melee they seemed reasonable and in Brawl they were fun for less serious matches but the majority of them are ridiculous, broken gamechangers in SSB4 and it really bothers me. Casual play is now atleast 50% luck, which takes away any sense that your actions matter and somewhat spoils the singleplayer experience.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The nerfing of the power (damage and knockback wise) of Final Smashes like Triforce Slash and Great Aether.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I hate that a good chunk of the items are completely broken in this game. I feel cheated when I lose because of them, and I feel like a cheater when I win solely because of them.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Bayonetta's knockback voice clip.

AAahhhhh

Really the worst

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
The fact that if you exit a match online you have to wait a while before you can play another. It's just dumb that the game punishes you for leaving a match to have a meal or go somewhere or stop a battle that will never end because the lag is so bad that the game practically runs at 3 frames per minute.

Also, the fact that you can't add friends on 3DS. That's stupid.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
The fact that if you exit a match online you have to wait a while before you can play another. It's just dumb that the game punishes you for leaving a match to have a meal or go somewhere or stop a battle that will never end because the lag is so bad that the game practically runs at 3 frames per minute.
I once pulled a muscle in my right leg really badly while playing For Glory after I got irritated because I lost a stock due to lag.
It hurt. Badly. It legit hurt more than when I twisted and ruined my ankle forever after I fell an entire store running down a staircase. I had to quit the match to try to aliviate the pain, and my leg was so hard it probably could deflect a bullet. When I came back to FG, I was probated for 10 minutes.
I mean, I know the game doesn't know it was kind of not really my choice, but it still felt unfair.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Clouds Alts in the Wii U version. You can hardly tell the difference between some of them in the Wii U Version, but you tell the difference in the 3DS version more easily, like the third Advent Children costume, which is teal in 3DS Version, but in the Wii U version, it looks black.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
1. I hate the existence of custom moves. Especially because of how annoying and time-consuming it is to unlock them all (I still don't have them all). And the fact that you have to create a custom character with custom moves and play in custom mode is obnoxious.

A better solution would be having 3 special sets for each character like in Smash Tour, and rather than mix-and-match customs (which is a terrible idea for more reasons than I care to list), you simply select a character, and select their special set with all being available from the start, in standard Smash, and without having to create custom characters.

2. I hate how fast and safe air dodges and rolls are. With the new ledge mechanics and overall great recoveries, the game seems to be made to encourage off-stage play, but when you can just air dodge an edgeguard attempt and still be able to recover fine, it makes a lot of off-stage edgeguard options pointless, forcing you to KO from the stage.

3. CPU A.I. is horrendous. Reading button inputs is terrible A.I. design.

4. I wish they allowed more turns in Smash Tour, and that all of the matches weren't so quick and chaotic.

5. Where is offline tournament mode?

6. I wish character customization supported all of the various stats present in Smash Tour. I'd like them to be freely customizable, rather than tied to equipping items. The mode is only for fun, anyway, and you could create a lot of fun scenarios with freely customizable stats.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
The Blue Shell: I know it's an item balancing issue, but for a weapon that's infamous in Mario Kart, it's really easily avoidable.
The Gooey Bomb: Again, super avoidable, and one of the most pointless items in the game
The "Hands off my Bread" meme: It was funny when Brawl came out. Falco very clearly says "Hands off my prey" in Sm4sh. It is no longer funny or relevant.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The fact that some of the characters didn't get new voice clips, or new arrangements of Victory Themes.
Also, why doesn't Pit say "UpperDash!" when using his side B unlike his Japanese counter part and Dark Pit with Electroshock?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
The fact that some of the characters didn't get new voice clips, or new arrangements of Victory Themes.
Don't you mean nearly all of the characters that were carried over from Brawl? I think most of the sound in general was carried over from Brawl. I know Pit's voice is completely different, but other than that, I know most characters got either outright no changes at all or very minor ones.
And it's not like Brawl didn't carry over sounds from Melee, or like Melee didn't carry over sounds from 64, or like 64 doesn't carry over sounds from other games and uses a crapton of stock sound effects (specially the Japanese version).

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
The one thing that bugs me is that I need Miiverse just to post a youtube video. Why Nintendo? Why?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
The one thing that bugs me is that I need Miiverse just to post a youtube video. Why Nintendo? Why?
No you don't
And I know this for a fact
Because I'm permabanned from Miiverse for saying Pushy Can

So
Not sure what you're going on about :drshrug:

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
No you don't
And I know this for a fact
Because I'm permabanned from Miiverse for saying Pushy Can

So
Not sure what you're going on about :drshrug:
Lemme rephrase that more specifically. I meant you need Miiverse to upload a replay of a match on Youtube (without a recording device.) That's what I'm going on about.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Lemme rephrase that more specifically. I meant you need Miiverse to upload a replay of a match on Youtube (without a recording device.) That's what I'm going on about.
No, you don't.
You can just wait for the replay to upload without making the Miiverse post, and once it says "Upload Complete" you can just back out no harm no foul.
And I know this because I uploaded this video from in-game.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I say my biggest issue with this game, fortunately is not entirely the game's fault. It's more so some of the people I've faced in local play (More specifically ONE person, and I hope it stays that low.)

So, there's a guy who I refer to as "Salty Seigfried" (He gets easily angered and spams as Seigfried in Soul Caliber all the time.) and I swear every time we do a match he does the same thing no matter what character he picks. Stands at the edge of the stage doing nothing, spams back throw if someone gets launched towards him, and nothing else until he eventually gets a lucky kill.

What bugs me the most about this is more so the fact that he ACTUALLY thinks he's good, and has legit mocked other people playing the match because they fell for his super dull and boring "playstyle" if you can even call it that. The guy has even gone as far as to call himself the "Mario expert" and it's that kind of ego that bugs me.

Reason why is because, he only last so long to have some kind of advantage only when he is in 8 player smash. Even in 1v1 situations he still plays like this and he get's completely dominated. Either he gets completely 2 stocked or he gets JV3. Then when you destroy him he complains about how you "wouldn't let him have any fun." So the gist is, if you let him win he becomes an obnoxious tool about it. If you actually give him a challenge he cries and flames you.

The last match I had with him I did 2 matches with him. One as Ness and one as Palutena. I two stocked him both times and told me "This game isn't fun anymore." and was never seen in the game room since. I just find that kind of mentality really toxic and not healthy for a community that already has a number of bad eggs like that.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It bugs me that that Dr. Mario stage wasn't real.
View attachment 94348

She did get a buff. A single buff.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
She did get a buff. A single buff.
There was that 1% rest buff, but it was apparently a testing error, someone made a mistake and didn't understand that the CPU on stand in training mode moved a slight bit so the percent was counted as 1 off, we didn't get that buff. :(

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There was that 1% rest buff, but it was apparently a testing error, someone made a mistake and didn't understand that the CPU on stand in training mode moved a slight bit so the percent was counted as 1 off, we didn't get that buff. :(
Wow. I have no words.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
The ridiclous amount of Buffs for Certain Characters specific moves

Ike's FAIR is a good example

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
One thing that bugs me is how they replaced Target Test with the Angry Bird's-like Target Blast. WHY?!
They could've had it made just like in Brawl to save time, but NOPE! Replace it with a mode that's worse!

sgtbutterknife

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sgtbutterknife
A: Online mode sucks so bad it's not even funny. I got kicked out of a tournament once for taking to long because the lag was so bad.
B: Counters especially Shulks and Corrins. Plus there are too many characters with counters. The only people who should have counters are Mac and the Fire Emblem characters.
C: Bottom of the barrel characters like Duck Hunt dog and Wii Fit Trainer.
D: Classic mode being the worst thing in Smash now
E: Carbon copy characters like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario (not Lucina though)
F: Mah Boi Roy still being a low tier character.
G: Cloud. Why is he even in this game was it to settle the dispute between Link or was it for marketing purposes
H: Also Bayonetta. She's just not very good in my opinion. I feel like I wasted my money on her.
I: and finally Angry Birds edition of Super Smash bros

Top Bottom