• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that bug me: people who like 4kids dubs.

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1254]Things that bug me: people who like 4kids dubs.[/drupal]

I'm not much of an anime fan. Yeah, I enjoy watching them. To me it's nothing special, just another form of entertainment. And I enjoy watching most dubs of animes (pauses for a second for all the Otakus reading this to spray whatever liquid is in their mouth) but the I cannot stand 4kids and their dubs. For those of you who don't know, 4kids are responsible for the terrible dubs of many animes including One Piece (which Funimation has recently received the rights to), Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters, F-Zero, the list goes on.

So I recently got curious enough to check out the subbed version of Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters GX. I was instantly hooked after the first three episodes, but then when I went to find episode 4 I could only find the dubbed version (I personally blame 4Kids for this). Disappointed, I deiced to click on one of the dubs to try and amuse myself by reading comments bound to be thrashing 4kids. To my surprise, the comments were pro-4kids. What is this? How can anyone like a dub that has been... well, a picture's worth a thousand words.

I hate 4kids with a fiery passion, it's basically this for me:

Me: "So, who's your favorite Yu-Gi-Oh character?"
Guy: "Oh... mine's Joey."
Me: "Joey...? JOEY!? HIS NAME IS JONOUCHI! GOT THAT!? JONOUCHI! HOW DARE YOU CALL HIM JOEY YOU 4KIDS LOVING *******!"

I'm just... so flabbergasted that anyone could like a 4kids dub. They must either be an elementary student, have the mental capacity to be an elementary student, or insane.

D

Deleted member

Why do people not get this? Yugioh- target audience: 6-13. They make it more appropriate/easier to understand to make money.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No that is not the freaking target audience! It's not meant for you 6-13 year old brats! Just like Naruto, people think the target audience is young children. I'm sorry, but that's not what the target audience in Japan is! The only reason that's the target audience here is 4kids. They MAKE it that way. And they need to stop doing that, because this anime is not meant for little brats. Stop saying that because you are wrong. How would you like it if some idiots made your perfectly fine adult game you made to cater to little kids, then everyone says "that's the target audience!"

D

Deleted member

How many kids shows can you name where the main character burns someone to death with vodka and a lighter?
Maybe that's why they never showed that episode here.

Edit: I hate the dub as much as you do, but I understand their reasoning. They know more 8 year olds will watch than 18 year olds.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did the anime actually have the whole lighter/ vodka thing? ...that was in the manga, but the manga is way different from the anime.

How much did they actually edit out?

I still think Yu Gi Oh is a sell out market scheme for little kids. It's not exactly an enthralling story with detailed characters and a plot...

Little kids are just allowed to see more violent things in Japan.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=1254]Things that bug me: people who like 4kids dubs.[/drupal]

I hate 4kids with a fiery passion, it's basically this for me:

Me: "So, who's your favorite Yu-Gi-Oh character?"
Guy: "Oh... mine's Joey."
Me: "Joey...? JOEY!? HIS NAME IS JONOUCHI! GOT THAT!? JONOUCHI! HOW DARE YOU CALL HIM JOEY YOU 4KIDS LOVING *******!"
Some people think the show is the same in english as it is in Japanese. Like me until you made the previous blog about them fcking YGO up. I actually found out that his name was Jonouchi from the OCG (Japanese name for their Yu-Gi-Oh card game) and not the manga like I did years after. So cut people some slack eh?

(Pulls out Vodka and lighter)

Just kidding. I really don't remember much of the Pokemon dub, so I really can't have an opinion on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XRp-R9s7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGdIH0jFZU
What is your opinion now?

Watch them, seriously.

finalark

SNORLAX
Some people think the show is the same in english as it is in Japanese. Like me until you made the previous blog about them fcking YGO up. I actually found out that his name was Jonouchi from the OCG (Japanese name for their Yu-Gi-Oh card game) and not the manga like I did years after. So cut people some slack eh?
Good point. Although it does get on my nerves when people call them by their stupid names when they know their real names.

And thanks for linking those vids, the pokemon dub really does suck.

Did the anime actually have the whole lighter/ vodka thing? ...that was in the manga, but the manga is way different from the anime.
It wasn't in Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters but it was in the Toei series (which was a series made by a different animation company than the series that we got.)

How much did they actually edit out?
a
freaking
lot
of
stuff.

more
edits.

Seriously, watch those.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
And they removed the best character in Pokemon. How many other people do you see shoot at Team Rocket in the middle of their poem? :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had no idea they edited out the rice balls. It must have been in later seasons than I watched because they didn't have those edits.

That cracker is horrible looking. DId they just take a picture of a real cracker and photoshop it in?

Mith_

Smash Champion
I think Funimation should make unedited dubs of this show. Like they did for One Piece.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbR5WYypOMU
Then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FA4svzV_6Q&feature=response_from_watch
Then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC61Mmt5j8M&feature=related

Really a sad scene from One Piece. I agree that it is pretty graphic. 4Kids could have included Bellemere's death in the story while not showing the graphic parts. They could have done an off screen shot or something.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I actually liked the original Yugioh anime's dub. Joey and Tristan sound all right to me, I don't remember them being from Japan. And the talent was ok...to me anyway.

But SonicX, One piece, any Yugioh but the first one and basically everything else from 4kids aside from the first couple seasons of Pokemon(before they switched out Ash's VA and others) have failed epicly.

SonicX especially makes my blood boil as the cast for that eventually carried over to the games too! :mad:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yu Gi Oh...

I will now think of it as a Yaoi...

finalark

SNORLAX
4Kids could have included Bellemere's death in the story while not showing the graphic parts.
They could have, but death scares kids (or some bull like that). In every dub they've ever done, hell, even in their Sonic X dub no one dies. In Sonic X they completely f***ed the original story of both the SA2 and the anime by saying that "Maria wasn't killed, she was taken away!"

Joey and Tristan sound all right to me, I don't remember them being from Japan.
That's only because 4kids said that Honda and Jonounchi aren't from Japan. Hell, the whole series takes place in Japan. Why did 4kids change it to America? To raise a generation of Xenophobes.

Mith_

Smash Champion
They could have, but death scares kids (or some bull like that). In every dub they've ever done, hell, even in their Sonic X dub no one dies. In Sonic X they completely f***ed the original story of both the SA2 and the anime by saying that "Maria wasn't killed, she was taken away!"

That's only because 4kids said that Honda and Jonounchi aren't from Japan. Hell, the whole series takes place in Japan. Why did 4kids change it to America? To raise a generation of Xenophobes.
Shouldn't scare, really. It is really sad though. I got kinda shocked when I saw the unedited version, although when I saw the edited version I was like, wth is this 4kids? Seriously they do such a crappy job lol.

And I actually think Joey's Brooklyn accent suits him. Although I was kinda skeptical when I first saw the dub because I was like, why does he sound like he's from New York when this takes place in Japan lol. Tristan sounds like a big brother you wish you had. I like his American voice too. It suits his character.

finalark

SNORLAX
Shouldn't scare, really. It is really sad though. I got kinda shocked when I saw the unedited version, although when I saw the edited version I was like, wth is this 4kids? Seriously they do such a crappy job lol.

And I actually think Joey's Brooklyn accent suits him. Although I was kinda skeptical when I first saw the dub because I was like, why does he sound like he's from New York when this takes place in Japan lol. Tristan sounds like a big brother you wish you had. I like his American voice too. It suits his character.
I really don't get what's with 4kids and editing death. When I was a kid I would watch movies and shows where characters die and it didn't scare me all.

I guess for 4kids it fits, Jonouchi was originally a gangster and a street brawler before he became friends with Yugi. Although his deep Japanese voice fits his character a hell of a lot better. And when I listen to Honda's voice compared to Tristan's, they really do sound the same.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Well actually they did mention Joey being a bully before becoming friends with Yugi. That incident at school, remember when Joey and Tristan threw Yugi's puzzle into the school pool, then Yugi saved Joey and Tristan from getting beat up by the thug. Or at least that's what 4kids said, I don't know what to believe anymore.

I think 4kids knows that death isn't really suitable for cartoons but the job they do of censoring it is bad. They could make the show TV-14 or something, and include death I suppose. Maybe not show people dying but you would have known they got killed. Although Marik trying to kill Yami really isn't suitable lol for a kids show lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's the fact that they rehash things that aren't MEANT for children and chop and change it inappropriately to follow with some silly guidelines that's the problem.

I mean, there are plenty of Japanese shows for kids, why can't they import those instead?

The thing is, most of society has this idea that Anime = Kids' Cartoon, which has a damaging effect on the dubs.

If they treated them just like any other show, THEN classify it appropriately, we wouldn't have this situation on our hands. Family Guy, South Park, cartoons that aren't for kids. See America, it's not just a concept you invented, the Japanese make animated features for older people as well you know.

Oh wait they don't, of course they don't, they have slanty eyes and want to bomb Pearl Harbor again, and lack the mental capacity to expand target audiences. Plus they're just weird and foreign.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well actually they did mention Joey being a bully before becoming friends with Yugi. That incident at school, remember when Joey and Tristan threw Yugi's puzzle into the school pool, then Yugi saved Joey and Tristan from getting beat up by the thug. Or at least that's what 4kids said, I don't know what to believe anymore.

I think 4kids knows that death isn't really suitable for cartoons but the job they do of censoring it is bad. They could make the show TV-14 or something, and include death I suppose. Maybe not show people dying but you would have known they got killed. Although Marik trying to kill Yami really isn't suitable lol for a kids show lol.
4kids kind of got it right. What really happened what that Jonouchi and Honda were making fun of Yugi, calling him a girl because he called the currently incomplete Millennium Puzzle his treasure. So they taunted him a bit, and then left, but not before Jonouchi stole a piece of his puzzle and threw it into a river. On the way home, another student from school named Ushio told Yugi that he doesn't need to worry about being bullied anymore. The next day, Yugi finds Jonouchi and Honda in the back of the school, blooded and beaten. Ushio beat the crap out of them the previous night and told Yugi that his charge for taking care of them was 100,000,000 Yen (or some big number). Yugi tells Ushio that he didn't want him to beat them up, but Ushio just calls him a wimp and kicks Yugi's ***. That night Jonouchi drops by with the piece of the puzzle that he threw into the river, and returns it to Yugi. Yugi finishes the puzzle and awakens Dark Yugi who returns to Ushio with the Yen and a knife. Dark Yugi proposes a game in which each player must take the stack of money and place in on his hand, then try to get as much money as possible by stabing the stack with the knife, you loose if you stab your hand. So they play for a bit, but then Ushio decides to screw it and tries to stab Yugi but misses. Yugi tells him that he lost because he couldn't obey the game's rules and puts a curse on him, temporarily driving him insane for a bit.

Yes, 4kids could do uncut, TV-14 dubs. But what Al Khan says is "why would we?" I think the reason why they don't is because they'd get a hell of a lot less money from teens and adults then they would from kids.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I knew I remembered that knife game from somewhere! I was from the manga.

How exactly do they get money anyways?

finalark

SNORLAX
Teens and adults spend more money on the TCG than kids. Oh boy.
I noticed that, like one time I was in a game store and they were getting ready to hold a YGO tourney and most of the people who were there were between mid-teens to early twenties.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I noticed that, like one time I was in a game store and they were getting ready to hold a YGO tourney and most of the people who were there were between mid-teens to early twenties.
Look at a kids deck then look at an adults or teenager's deck and tell me who spends more money.

I've made kids (and one teenager) cry before because of my awesome deck and skills. They try to get cards from the show (which aren't worth much mind you) while I'm getting the good stuff. And somebody actually said I spend too much money on this game, which I was appalled because there were others that spent 3 times as much as I did.

finalark

SNORLAX
Look at a kids deck then look at an adults or teenager's deck and tell me who spends more money.

I've made kids (and one teenager) cry before because of my awesome deck and skills. They try to get cards from the show (which aren't worth much mind you) while I'm getting the good stuff. And somebody actually said I spend too much money on this game, which I was appalled because there were others that spent 3 times as much as I did.
Yep. I mean come on, Black (Dark) Magician, 2500 attack points for two sacrifices. Then look at Summoned Demon (Skull). 2500 attack points, one sacrifice. It's kind of funny how the characters in the show have really crappy cards.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Thing about Dark Magician, he has a LOT of support cards, including cards that bring him out for free, one that brings him out for 3 spell counters, one that destroys your opponents backfield, etc. But these were not available when Dark Magician was released, so he was not a viable choice for competitive play. Also, television played with no tributes, so yea lol. Summoned Skull was a thousand times better.

Also, another 'sloppy dub' they had to fix. Summon Demon was considered a "Demon" monster (not demon type) So once they released the "Demon" (Archfiend in America) cards, UDE had to go back and delclare that Summoned Skull (Demon) and Axe of Despair (Demonic Axe) were considered Archfiends. Lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, another 'sloppy dub' they had to fix. Summon Demon was considered a "Demon" monster (not demon type) So once they released the "Demon" (Archfiend in America) cards, UDE had to go back and delclare that Summoned Skull (Demon) and Axe of Despair (Demonic Axe) were considered Archfiends. Lol.
I remember reading about that. I remember saying "See? If you translated the names right then you wouldn't have this problem!"

Ah, silly translations.

Mith_

Smash Champion
One other thing that is funny, the reason UDE (or Konami America) gave for changing Black Magician's name to Dark Magician is that they did not want to offend African Americans.

wth?

I thought it had to do with black magic. That is a far more acceptable excuse lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
One other thing that is funny, the reason UDE (or Konami America) gave for changing Black Magician's name to Dark Magician is that they did not want to offend African Americans.

wth?

I thought it had to do with black magic. That is a far more acceptable excuse lol.
Agreed. I always thought it was because it was "black" as in "black magic." But I guess according to UDE or Konami it's not to offend African Americans.

And what's so offensive about Elf Swordsman that they had to change it to Celtic Guardian?

finalark

SNORLAX
Probably, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was already a Magic the Gathering card named that and the just didn't want to be sued or something.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

rofl I finally an amazing deck just as all my friends that played it started giving it up. I have enough rock monsters in my deck to theoretically give my rock dragon over 9000 attack points XD

I spent a ton of money on getting different decks and looking for good packs over the years. Kinda wish I could of had the chance to play someone competent. I still have the deck and a rule book, but it just sits on a shelf and collects dust.

Top Bottom