• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Mala
  • jokes around about many things including own alignment, seems relax
  • Day 1 paranoia about being high on people's town reads feels real
  • dread and indecision over end of day 1 vote feels real
  • I find it hard to believe the waggons run up to 6-6 and the player left not voting is mafia. everything happened so fast I feel like its so much more likely that a townie got left behind.
  • confidence and eagerness going into Day 2 feels real
  • routinely makes points I agree with and I feel like im on the same wavelength

Chaco
  • hard defending wam when i pushed him, felt like a genuine read
  • saying he couldve got laser yeeted if he wanted to, feels real, not some multilayer scum play
- tone towards boom and laser on day 1 was weird, seemed to be treating people as town when his reads didnt reflect that
+ initial reaction to laser's case seemed super townie
- later reaction posts like 'just give me 24hrs' seemed scummy
+ sync notes slip seems like a weird thing to fake as mafia, think he genuinely believes it

Frozen
  • throws out ideas when he has them rather than with any particular agenda
  • feels more happy and relaxed about things, joking, posting memes
  • anger and confidence when people attack him feels legit
  • generally when I read his interactions / arguments I feel like he comes off as townie (e.g. dark horse, wam, boom)
  • reads seem to be very biased towards his own slot e.g. scumreading mala for vote on him
  • dislike how trusting he is of fonti and willingness to sheep their vote
= starting to slip into background / become less relevant during Day 2

Dark Horse
= immediate piggyback on my question in RVS, later just shrugs and owns it
  • stubbornness on Gorf in early game felt real
  • the way he prodded me and asked me questions during Day 1 felt like he was trying to keep me honest
  • when he argued with frozen, fonti etc I usually found myself townreading him
- dont like his SvS read on Wam/Sync after they cross-vote Day 2. Seems kinda stuck in his reads.
= seems kinda quiet and low impact overall

Laser
+ completely vibed with his Chaco case Day 1
= stubbornness in the face of Chaco's rebuttal felt very cold / mechanical
+ vibe with his reads list Day 1
- putting a lot of faith in meta reads i dont like at all
  • makes good points like about Boom + Wam not being viable.
  • calls out fonti for feeling manipulative and for holding too many cards
= feels like he's fence-sitting on certain slots Day 2
= claim and solve seems more likely townie but feels weird, sudden.

Pythag
+ liked that he gave an early reads list, taking initiative there
- dislike how he took a hard stance on sync 'muddying waters' in reads but then was singing their praises shortly after
+ pops in with one-liners that suggest he has his own train of thought
- naked wam vote and no presence at end of day, kinda forget he's in the game sometimes
= response to me about 'garbling words' could be trying to ingratiate himself
= YEAH KARY kinda startling levels of enthusiasm from old man pythag

Wam
  • thin and wobbly reads D1
  • felt like some things were too obvious to be legit questions, playing the newb card
  • seemed more lucid when responding to criticism than when taking initiative
+ good reaction to the EOD waggon on them, no panic or shenanigans, shades sabrar
= speaking up to defend their cross-vote
+ shows some original thought on synchro, frozen, etc.
= reads list?

BoomFrog
  • putting chaco at top of town reads 'as a test' into instant townread on chaco feels fake
  • ambivalence on end of day waggon, only to take away decision from mala, sheeping sabrar only to not
= end of day 'congrats' on day 1, later comes back to explain his reaction
  • "people should not be townreading me" re-framing his own sketchiness as good thing, justifies his reads based around it
  • shading me at end of day for 'not doing enough', then calls out my reads before he even sees my reasons ('shallow')
+ like his tone and back-and-forth posting style, seems straightforward and open
= opting out of trying to read fonti/synch or hold them accountable

Gorf
- scummy when town meta is accurate but him calling it out rubs me the wrong way
= early game seemed pretty safe and by-the-numbers
fonti
  • felt like they were trying to pocket mala by giving advice, blatant buddying of frozen
  • calling people 'buddy' 'friend' feels skeevy, some kind of psychology 101 stuff
  • felt over-eager in breaking up me/Chaco before they could be confident it was TvT
+ feels kind of suicidal from mafia to antagonize me, no fear
- throws out shade and doubt about things e.g. 'mala isnt a new player'
= hard to follow their progression on reads and pushes
= don't feel they have been chill whatsoever this game

Synchro
  • cryptic and distant through Day 1, reaction to call-out is to accuse others of overreaction
  • inflated case on me based around mis-representing my posts and criticizing by double standard
  • nitpicks at frozen and drags him without ever committing
= spent more time doing extensive notes on early game than getting involved
- seems very happy and comfy on somi waggon despite basic waggonomics and earlier scumreads
+ hypocrites themselves saying we should have killed frozen day 1
  • drops frozen and goes back to pushing weaker slots like wam / mala
  • no desire to explain themselves just handwave criticism and avoid responsibility
  • "somi waggon formed by coincidence" and other types of bull****
+ hasn't done a ****ty fake claim to try and save themselves

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Yes I would have expected Scum Malak to make a similar joke but about a town role pm. I thought the "must look towny" mindset of scum would have filtered in.
eh, I can't think of a town PM that's goal is just to yeet someone. It worked with the question marks.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
In the context, no. If I was trying to play off blame for Somi’s lynch maybe, but bringing it up as much as I have and the only inconsistency being timing of votes I think they’re just using it as a platform.
It's not just timing of votes. ToDay you are saying that you were confident that Somi would be the yeet, but EoD1 your post clearly shows you thought there was resistance to the yeet. That is an opposite perspective. That's a red flag bro.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
BoomFrog - I'm reserving judegment I think there is a lot of links out there around boom.
Fontisian - I had suspicions of Gorf, I haven't seen anything from Fonti that has really changed my mind. I think a lot is tied up in links to sync and defense there of and I'm struggling to separate the reads.
I've defended Sync way more then Fonti. Also, Fonti has hard defended many people you consider town. If you are evaluating around "Sync is scum" then you should be seeing me as a partner. I should definitely be lower on your list then Fonti is. How has Fonti not shown you anything townie? She has been putting an ass load of work into trying to solve the game. This Fonti read makes zero sense.

Also, side question, what does :links around boom" mean? is that scummy?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Mala
:grin: jokes around about many things including own alignment, seems relax
:grin: Day 1 paranoia about being high on people's town reads feels real
:grin: dread and indecision over end of day 1 vote feels real
:grin: I find it hard to believe the waggons run up to 6-6 and the player left not voting is mafia. everything happened so fast I feel like its so much more likely that a townie got left behind.
:grin: confidence and eagerness going into Day 2 feels real
:grin: routinely makes points I agree with and I feel like im on the same wavelength

Chaco
:grin: hard defending wam when i pushed him, felt like a genuine read
:grin: saying he couldve got laser yeeted if he wanted to, feels real, not some multilayer scum play
:mad: tone towards boom and laser on day 1 was weird, seemed to be treating people as town when his reads didnt reflect that
:grin: initial reaction to laser's case seemed super townie
:mad: later reaction posts like 'just give me 24hrs' seemed scummy
:grin: sync notes slip seems like a weird thing to fake as mafia, think he genuinely believes it

Frozen
:grin: throws out ideas when he has them rather than with any particular agenda
:grin: feels more happy and relaxed about things, joking, posting memes
:grin: anger and confidence when people attack him feels legit
:grin: generally when I read his interactions / arguments I feel like he comes off as townie (e.g. dark horse, wam, boom)
:mad: reads seem to be very biased towards his own slot e.g. scumreading mala for vote on him
:mad: dislike how trusting he is of fonti and willingness to sheep their vote
:ohwell: starting to slip into background / become less relevant during Day 2

Dark Horse
:ohwell: immediate piggyback on my question in RVS, later just shrugs and owns it
:grin: stubbornness on Gorf in early game felt real
:grin: the way he prodded me and asked me questions during Day 1 felt like he was trying to keep me honest
:grin: when he argued with frozen, fonti etc I usually found myself townreading him
:mad: dont like his SvS read on Wam/Sync after they cross-vote Day 2. Seems kinda stuck in his reads.
:ohwell: seems kinda quiet and low impact overall

Laser
:grin: completely vibed with his Chaco case Day 1
:ohwell: stubbornness in the face of Chaco's rebuttal felt very cold / mechanical
:grin: vibe with his reads list Day 1
:mad: putting a lot of faith in meta reads i dont like at all
:grin: makes good points like about Boom :grin: Wam not being viable.
:grin: calls out fonti for feeling manipulative and for holding too many cards
:ohwell: feels like he's fence-sitting on certain slots Day 2
:ohwell: claim and solve seems more likely townie but feels weird, sudden.

Pythag
:grin: liked that he gave an early reads list, taking initiative there
:mad: dislike how he took a hard stance on sync 'muddying waters' in reads but then was singing their praises shortly after
:grin: pops in with one-liners that suggest he has his own train of thought
:mad: naked wam vote and no presence at end of day, kinda forget he's in the game sometimes
:ohwell: response to me about 'garbling words' could be trying to ingratiate himself
:ohwell: YEAH KARY kinda startling levels of enthusiasm from old man pythag

Wam
:mad: thin and wobbly reads D1
:mad: felt like some things were too obvious to be legit questions, playing the newb card
:mad: seemed more lucid when responding to criticism than when taking initiative
:grin: good reaction to the EOD waggon on them, no panic or shenanigans, shades sabrar
:ohwell: speaking up to defend their cross-vote
:grin: shows some original thought on synchro, frozen, etc.
:ohwell: reads list?

BoomFrog
:mad: putting chaco at top of town reads 'as a test' into instant townread on chaco feels fake
:mad: ambivalence on end of day waggon, only to take away decision from mala, sheeping sabrar only to not
:ohwell: end of day 'congrats' on day 1, later comes back to explain his reaction
:mad: "people should not be townreading me" re-framing his own sketchiness as good thing, justifies his reads based around it
:mad: shading me at end of day for 'not doing enough', then calls out my reads before he even sees my reasons ('shallow')
:grin: like his tone and back-and-forth posting style, seems straightforward and open
:ohwell: opting out of trying to read fonti/synch or hold them accountable

Gorf
:mad: scummy when town meta is accurate but him calling it out rubs me the wrong way
:ohwell: early game seemed pretty safe and by-the-numbers
fonti
:mad: felt like they were trying to pocket mala by giving advice, blatant buddying of frozen
:mad: calling people 'buddy' 'friend' feels skeevy, some kind of psychology 101 stuff
:mad: felt over-eager in breaking up me/Chaco before they could be confident it was TvT
:grin: feels kind of suicidal from mafia to antagonize me, no fear
:mad: throws out shade and doubt about things e.g. 'mala isnt a new player'
:ohwell: hard to follow their progression on reads and pushes
:ohwell: don't feel they have been chill whatsoever this game

Synchro
:mad: cryptic and distant through Day 1, reaction to call-out is to accuse others of overreaction
:mad: inflated case on me based around mis-representing my posts and criticizing by double standard
:mad: nitpicks at frozen and drags him without ever committing
:ohwell: spent more time doing extensive notes on early game than getting involved
:mad: seems very happy and comfy on somi waggon despite basic waggonomics and earlier scumreads
:grin: hypocrites themselves saying we should have killed frozen day 1
:mad: drops frozen and goes back to pushing weaker slots like wam / mala
:mad: no desire to explain themselves just handwave criticism and avoid responsibility
:mad: "somi waggon formed by coincidence" and other types of bull****
:grin: hasn't done a ****ty fake claim to try and save themselves

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Malakandra Malakandra Thoughts on the above? I think you are wrong on Sync but we both agree on Wam. Can we yeet wam first please? Sync is scum in some universes but wam is scum in almost every universe.

Chaco

Never Logs In
It's not just timing of votes. ToDay you are saying that you were confident that Somi would be the yeet, but EoD1 your post clearly shows you thought there was resistance to the yeet. That is an opposite perspective. That's a red flag bro.
I said the only person I had to say anything to was Sabrar, who was saying there was no resistance when there was. I didn’t say there was no resistance, I said it was clear that Somi was going to be the Lynch once those votes were on. The prior votes show that. DH and Synchro were the unknowns jumping on. Fonti had elaborated and Frozen was following Fonti. A Somi wagon at that conjecture had no point being ran up if it wasn’t going to win, Wam would’ve been done way before that point if it was going to happen.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Malakandra Malakandra Thoughts on the above? I think you are wrong on Sync but we both agree on Wam. Can we yeet wam first please? Sync is scum in some universes but wam is scum in almost every universe.
I've defended Sync way more then Fonti. Also, Fonti has hard defended many people you consider town. If you are evaluating around "Sync is scum" then you should be seeing me as a partner. I should definitely be lower on your list then Fonti is. How has Fonti not shown you anything townie? She has been putting an ass load of work into trying to solve the game. This Fonti read makes zero sense.

Also, side question, what does :links around boom" mean? is that scummy?
I've seen you defending sync, to honest I'm not really willing to trust you that much on it because I remember you using your little friendly neighbor thing in sumting on both Xivii and Bessie. (IIRC. I remember it was two scum, one Xivii.) That might seem a bit harsh and unreasonable, but I'm trusting my gut here. I'm down to yeet Wam, they've a lot of things that seem scummy to me, and most of their logic and stuff doesn't track, but I'm more certain on Synchro and I think they are a lot more dangerous. If Sychro isn't viable at EoD, I'll switch onto Wam. I really do get what you are saying here though. Wam fits into a lot of teams, its been the factor about him that has me wanting to just get him out first, and see what happens. The thing is, I don't want Synchro around at EoD. They're main pushes today have almost all been on people I trust, or myself.

I've realized while writing this post I am struggling with which one is the smartest to vote here. It goes back to what I said before about being confident that I'm right, but also feeling like its unlikely I am because of my relative inexperience. Give me some more time to think about it. If it comes down to Synchro v Wam, I'll probably end up on Synchro.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I think you’re letting your wrong read on Xivii the last two games completely wash you of the Boom who was upfront and called them out on their BS. Synchro is play toDay, if some way somehow they aren’t mafia, then at least a slot who has been muddying waters all game is gone. I’m about positive they are scum though, every person on their wagon is a town read of mine. And the odds of that aligning are not good unless they are scum. The bussing will come later I’m sure

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've seen you defending sync, to honest I'm not really willing to trust you that much on it because I remember you using your little friendly neighbor thing in sumting on both Xivii and Bessie. (IIRC. I remember it was two scum, one Xivii.) That might seem a bit harsh and unreasonable, but I'm trusting my gut here. I'm down to yeet Wam, they've a lot of things that seem scummy to me, and most of their logic and stuff doesn't track, but I'm more certain on Synchro and I think they are a lot more dangerous. If Sychro isn't viable at EoD, I'll switch onto Wam. I really do get what you are saying here though. Wam fits into a lot of teams, its been the factor about him that has me wanting to just get him out first, and see what happens. The thing is, I don't want Synchro around at EoD. They're main pushes today have almost all been on people I trust, or myself.

I've realized while writing this post I am struggling with which one is the smartest to vote here. It goes back to what I said before about being confident that I'm right, but also feeling like its unlikely I am because of my relative inexperience. Give me some more time to think about it. If it comes down to Synchro v Wam, I'll probably end up on Synchro.
ScumSynchro makes it clear on townWam. It’s a win win.

Malakandra

Smash Lord

nvm you greeted Sabrar. That was unfair of me, I should have checked, and past games shouldn't influence my confidence in a read of yours, thats also unfair. I was making up excuses for why I am being so stubborn, because part of me knows you have more experience I should trust you, and the other part wants to go all in on my reads.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
I don't believe this at all, why do you? Althought my original post this day where I connected to them doesn't work as an actual scum case (I've accepted this) I think it still works as a connection. If one flips scum I'm more sure of the other being scum as well.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I don't believe this at all, why do you? Althought my original post this day where I connected to them doesn't work as an actual scum case (I've accepted this) I think it still works as a connection. If one flips scum I'm more sure of the other being scum as well.
Wam has been on synchro all day and independently pushing them as well

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Wam has been on synchro all day and independently pushing them as well
I agreed with Dark Horse that the Wam and Synchro cross vote felt SvS. Also I remember Wam voting Synchro for not the greatest reasoning. I'm down to re-eval after one flips, but to me that make sense together and are both independently scummy.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I agreed with Dark Horse that the Wam and Synchro cross vote felt SvS. Also I remember Wam voting Synchro for not the greatest reasoning. I'm down to re-eval after one flips, but to me that make sense together and are both independently scummy.
I don’t think he rides it out this long as scum, especially when it’s clear that Synchro is majority by a long shot. I could be wrong though, I’ll go back and look at it.

fontisian

Smash Champion
fonti
:mad: felt like they were trying to pocket mala by giving advice, blatant buddying of frozen
:mad: calling people 'buddy' 'friend' feels skeevy, some kind of psychology 101 stuff
:mad: felt over-eager in breaking up me/Chaco before they could be confident it was TvT
:grin: feels kind of suicidal from mafia to antagonize me, no fear
:mad: throws out shade and doubt about things e.g. 'mala isnt a new player'
:ohwell: hard to follow their progression on reads and pushes
:ohwell: don't feel they have been chill whatsoever this game
Alright, let's like, try to get through this once.

Let's start by playing the "if I were scum" game. As scum, I push people against each other. I prioritize my own position and then use that position to get town killed. If I'm around people who know me, I imitate my towngame to a degree, and yeah, I do some pocketing if the opportunity arises. I am doing none of that here, because I'm not ****ing scum.

I haven't "buddied" Frozen. I townread him when he was being towny and then he decided to townread me for it. I haven't interacted with his points about hard townreading me and wanting to follow me because they make me uncomfortable and make me feel like I have too big of an obligation to be right, or I'm throwing the game for both of us. I don't see how offering advice to Mala is "pocketing" and frankly, if that was my goal, why would I have told him to leave me the hell alone immediately after and why would I have pushed him today?

I don't think I've ever even called someone "buddy?" That's not a word I like? I use "friend," but it's like trying to soften a blow 50% of the time and used in a sarcastically aggressive manner the other 50%.

I was confident you and Chaco were town when I tried to break up your fight. I have told you why I was confident you are town and I have talked about Chaco at length. You agree with these reads, so like, get over it? I've played mafia for a very long time, sometimes I'm going to get good reads faster and more effectively than you can expect. If you have a problem with the timing, then ****ing assess my reasons instead of just making up your mind on the spot.

Mala is literally not a new player. That's not throwing shade, it's a fact. He might be town, but you're locked in on townreading him whole completely misunderstanding him as a person. Just, read some of Midnight Ops or something, I don't know.

As town, I understand that most games are won not by hitting mafia, but rather by constructing a correct town circle and getting everyone on board, then forcing scum out. By raising the bar of town activity so scum have to meet it. My preferred style is just let town leaders lead while I support them and help get away from bad pushes. It's what I wanted to do here, but I can't, because there's no town leader to support.

I'm really, really trying to be chill, but this kind of push just makes my head explode. If my progression is so hard to follow, ask me questions about it. I'll try to answer. If I forget, ask me again.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
I don't see how offering advice to Mala is "pocketing"
Offering support on this part. Fonti gave me advice last game too when I was scum and they were town. They're progression makes sense to me on wanting to offer me advice and doing so at times, but also worried im faking it to try to get on her good side.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Malakandra Malakandra Consider Wam is town for a moment, who would the scum team be?
No clue. Synchro, going by my list Fonti is next but I don't think they work super well with Synchro and they are really down there because I'm scared of them and don't want to give her points for things. Right now I just want Synchro, then Wam, then I'll figure it out from there.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
I said the only person I had to say anything to was Sabrar, who was saying there was no resistance when there was.
But your point to Sabrar was that there was resistance. So you are not talking about Sabrar's resistance, you are telling him that others are resisting. So you did feel there was general resistance. That conflicts with your read today that there was obvious inevitability to the yeet. Like, I understand those can both be true, but can you see how they appear contradictory to someone else? Especially someone on the defensive because you've been pushing them?

Agreed with Mala that this is a bad read. Wam could be trapped in an early distancing vote when the wagon formed. I did not think Syncro's yeet was going to get real traction toDay.

Boom who was upfront and called them out on their BS
They're giving me space and I'm giving them the same. I've called them out on some wrong reads, but some stuff like their Kary read and Chaco read I'm not totally convinced they are wrong about and I want to let the interaction keep going.

Chaco

Never Logs In
You’re working around the edges of the main point, Somi caught traction and that traction meant that they would be the play almost inevitably. Did you see me coax it along anymore after that point? It wasn’t necessary. That was more saying to alleviate Sab’s point if there’s no resistance to this so he must be town which was what he was implying. Which he was correct, but there was resistance. It’s not saying please pile on Somi cause I think you guys are going to **** up and yeet Wam instead. If that was true I would’ve taken up defending wam more, again.

All I’m saying is that it’s atypical for the stance thatI’ve come to see you take there always, and it’s odd seeing them be at this conjecture and you still trying to alleviate pressure. Your explanation of Wam seems more fitting to you, imo, as you said you didn’t expect it to come this far

fontisian

Smash Champion
Also, fontisian fontisian Can you explain how you thought i was "trying to prevent you from defending sync"?
Bruh, you came in after you two potentially being aligned was brought up and started following their votes and defending them like you were trying to make people think you're both scum.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Vote Count 2.11

Synchronicity(4): Wam, Malakandra, Frozen Flame, Chaco
Wam (3): HeuryAlone, BoomFrog, LaserGuy
Chaco(1): Synchronicity

Not voting (3): Pythag, Fontisian, Kary

End of Day Countdown, Roughly 4.2 hours from this post. With 11 Alive, it takes 6 votes to eliminate

Last edited:

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am ok putting my vote on sync, FYI.

I think Chaco said it really well about sync trying to figure him out, after sync rebutted me, my thought was that one could be technically “correct” but “correct” doesn’t equal town feel.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
BTW I've got a class that starts when EoD is thats a 20 minute walk to get too, so i won't be on at the very end.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Worth noting that if Syn flips wolf, Boom is probably town for those same reasons.

Top Bottom