• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theytah's pretty pixels: Round Two!

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Hi Theytah; I'm new to brawl modding and some of your guides have been very helpful for me. Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong in the following procedure? I've got a model in 3ds max which I have applied a texture to. The texture is a 128x128 png image, designed to be repeated in a mesh pattern. 3ds max renders the textured model properly, but when I import it into brawlbox, brawlbox gets two things wrong. It (A) replaces all the transparent areas with white, and (B) stretches the texture instead of repeating it to make a pattern.

3ds max properly renders the metal mesh:

Brawlbox does not:

I recently learned what UVW mapping is, but I haven't figured out how to do it competently yet. Does this problem have something to do with UVW mapping?

MFMAXY

Smash Apprentice
if you're doing lighting updates it would be dope if you could fix that mushroom kingdom adventure mode stage you're playing on as well

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Hi Theytah; I'm new to brawl modding and some of your guides have been very helpful for me. Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong in the following procedure? I've got a model in 3ds max which I have applied a texture to. The texture is a 128x128 png image, designed to be repeated in a mesh pattern. 3ds max renders the textured model properly, but when I import it into brawlbox, brawlbox gets two things wrong. It (A) replaces all the transparent areas with white, and (B) stretches the texture instead of repeating it to make a pattern.

3ds max properly renders the metal mesh:

Brawlbox does not:

I recently learned what UVW mapping is, but I haven't figured out how to do it competently yet. Does this problem have something to do with UVW mapping?
1. Go to the model and open the material its using.
2. expand the texture entry and set its wrap mode to repeat for u and v
3. scroll to the top on the material settings and set them to be like this

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
1. Go to the model and open the material its using.
2. expand the texture entry and set its wrap mode to repeat for u and v
3. scroll to the top on the material settings and set them to be like this
Thanks for the step by step help! That really steered me in the right direction. Changing the settings under Alpha Function fixed the transparency issue. At first, changing the UWrap and VWrap settings under Texture Reference to "Repeat" didn't do anything, but then I figured out that I also needed to change the Scale setting under Texture Coordinates. This was set to "1.1" by default, but when I changed it to match the tiling settings for the texture in 3ds max (14.6 in this case), everything worked like a charm. The metal mesh now shows up exactly as desired in brawlbox.

CHEMICAL PLANT :D
BEST ZONE EVA =D

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Thanks for the step by step help! That really steered me in the right direction. Changing the settings under Alpha Function fixed the transparency issue. At first, changing the UWrap and VWrap settings under Texture Reference to "Repeat" didn't do anything, but then I figured out that I also needed to change the Scale setting under Texture Coordinates. This was set to "1.1" by default, but when I changed it to match the tiling settings for the texture in 3ds max (14.6 in this case), everything worked like a charm. The metal mesh now shows up exactly as desired in brawlbox.
No problem :p I always say that smash modding isnt that hard, you just have to learn brawlbox's interface to be able to know where to start.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Dang. Well, I booted up the stage in dolphin to test some collisions, only to find that the metal mesh is now completely invisible! I guess the preview in brawlbox isn't always accurate. Help...? ^_^;

The completely invisible metal mesh in dolphin (on the bright side, at least it's transparent... lol):

Various info about the mesh material. Something must be wrong in here somewhere...

By the way, I'd love to learn what all the stuff in these brawlbox menus means. I don't suppose there's some sort of comprehensive brawlbox terminology guide out there?

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Dang. Well, I booted up the stage in dolphin to test some collisions, only to find that the metal mesh is now completely invisible! I guess the preview in brawlbox isn't always accurate. Help...? ^_^;

The completely invisible metal mesh in dolphin (on the bright side, at least it's transparent... lol):

Various info about the mesh material. Something must be wrong in here somewhere...

By the way, I'd love to learn what all the stuff in these brawlbox menus means. I don't suppose there's some sort of comprehensive brawlbox terminology guide out there?
There's no guide currently but I have youtube videos touching on it. I'm gonna make a full guide sometime probably. For now go into lightchannel 0 and then expand alpha, then set alpha to false.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
There's no guide currently but I have youtube videos touching on it. I'm gonna make a full guide sometime probably. For now go into lightchannel 0 and then expand alpha, then set alpha to false.
Thanks, that worked. And yeah, a full guide would be great. =D

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace

PR0GRAM

Smash Rookie
I made this as a joke and then people actually wanted it made. I'm aware Theyta is a very busy man, so I'm not going to ask him to add this to the list "ASAP". However, if in like a year or two from now, when you're done with your other request stuff, I'd like to ask that you consider making this. I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
(
)

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I made this as a joke and then people actually wanted it made. I'm aware Theyta is a very busy man, so I'm not going to ask him to add this to the list "ASAP". However, if in like a year or two from now, when you're done with your other request stuff, I'd like to ask that you consider making this. I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
(
)
Oh my gosh, Program, you're my favourite person ever. Everything about you is cool, your picture, your mods, I didn't even know you were on Smashboards!

Your request is probably easy enough for me to try, once I get all these bajillion things offa my plate, I'm totally gonna do it.

PR0GRAM

Smash Rookie
Oh my gosh, Program, you're my favourite person ever. Everything about you is cool, your picture, your mods, I didn't even know you were on Smashboards!

Your request is probably easy enough for me to try, once I get all these bajillion things offa my plate, I'm totally gonna do it.
Thanks, I didn't know anyone knew who I was, I only really do texture stuff to be honest!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Yeah Program, everyone knows who you are. And that thing is disturbing and hilarious. I really want it. Also makes me wonder what kind of person could conceive such a thing.

PR0GRAM

Smash Rookie
Yeah Program, everyone knows who you are. And that thing is disturbing and hilarious. I really want it. Also makes me wonder what kind of person could conceive such a thing.
How the heck do people know who I am! I've made like 3 things, I literally don't understand! As for the story behind it it's long, and has to do with me accusing someone that had Sonic as there profile pic of hating Muppets... It would take a while to explain.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
How the heck do people know who I am! I've made like 3 things, I literally don't understand! As for the story behind it it's long, and has to do with me accusing someone that had Sonic as there profile pic of hating Muppets... It would take a while to explain.
You're in a lot of the KCMM threads, I think, and however you came up with it doesn't make it any less funny, so I'm okay with not knowing, I guess. Ryztiq Ryztiq , whenever you get around to this, you gotta make sure it has clothlike materials! Gotta go green

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Falcon Cloak? Subsitute Ivy? Yoshi Semialts? My parts are jiggling in joy!
I'm concerned about this thread derailing, but there's really not much where it can go...
How the heck do people know who I am! I've made like 3 things, I literally don't understand!
I think it's because you're super nice and helpful, and that your work, albeit simple, is something everyone wanted/needed, but in terms of creation, isn't easily achieved.
They're also handy for accessorizing, I gave your shiny/glowey Zero Suits SJS' holsters!
As for the story behind it it's long, and has to do with me accusing someone that had Sonic as there profile pic of hating Muppets... It would take a while to explain.
So you literally want it out of spite for this Muppet-hating Communist friend of yours.

I love it even more.

Last edited:

PR0GRAM

Smash Rookie
Falcon Cloak? Subsitute Ivy? Yoshi Semialts? My parts are jiggling in joy!
I'm concerned about this thread derailing, but there's really not much where it can go...
I think it's because you're super nice and helpful, and that your work, albeit simple, is something everyone wanted/needed, but in terms of creation, isn't easily achieved.
They're also handy for accessorizing, I gave your shiny/glowey Zero Suits SJS' holsters!

So you literally want it out of spite for this Muppet-hating Communist friend of yours.

I love it even more.
Firstly, thanks for the kind words! Secondly, I guess I was just surprised that out of the 50 million people posting stuff on KCMM anyone would remember my junk. Thirdly, I'm not sure he's a communist, but he later did claim to actually love Muppets afterwards... I'm not sure if I believe him 100% though.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
(
)
This is horrifying.

Nice to see you here, Program!

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Ohhhhmyyyyuugodtttttttt
ily fam, ill go back to playing pm because of you