• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

UserKev

Smash Champion
I didn't join the Stormcloaks.. I get somewhat bad vibes from the stomcloaks leader. The stormcloaks are also probably more or less likely being used by the Thalmor in some capacity.

I went Imperials all the way and, I like Whiterun.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I didn't join the Stormcloaks.. I get somewhat bad vibes from the stomcloaks leader. The stormcloaks are also probably more or less likely being used by the Thalmor in some capacity.

I went Imperials all the way and, I like Whiterun.
In the Thalmor embassy there are is a ledger explaining how the Stormcloaks fit into their plans.
Basically they need to destabilise Skyrim to stop it from rebelling against the Aldmeri Dominion so they incited Ulfric's rebellion. But they don't want either side to win so either outcome will put a spanner in the works.
But Ulfric is still, somewhat under their command (And also racist, "Skyrim for the Nords" remind you of anyone?). The Imperials are definately the better outcome, the best one is the peace treaty if you progress far enough in the story without completing either quest line.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If we're discussing Skyrim bosses in Smash, I guess Alduin perfectly fits the candidate. I think a dragon priest could also work tho. The dragon priest boss battle could function similar to Marx.

Ugh. Dragonborn absent from Smash in any capacity is a massive miss opportunity. TES5 absolutely deserve some recognition in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Uh. Has this been discussed? What do you think would Dragonborn's series logo be?

I can see the front cover logo of Skyrim, the horn helmet or the flame of the fus ro dah shout.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Uh. Has this been discussed? What do you think would Dragonborn's series logo be?

I can see the front cover logo of Skyrim, the horn helmet or the flame of the fus ro dah shout.
100% the Imperial dragon. It's literally the only thing on the cover of the game.

Not to mention that that's also the thing you see on the main menu. Even Morrowind's boxart featured the dragon heavily. Oblivion had the cover of the Mysterium Xarxes though.

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, ESO: Greymoor's coming out in two weeks. They've got some nice pics from the news releases here, here, and here if you're interested.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Agreed, the Imperial Dragon makes the most sense, as it represents the franchise as a whole. But yeah, it's kinda ironic that the game that takes place in the heart of the Empire is the only one whose game cover DOESN'T use it.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Double post but what are your thoughts on CacoMallow at this point? I've been keeping tabs on the Geno thread but there have been little to no mentions of our Dragonborn hero.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Double post but what are your thoughts on CacoMallow at this point? I've been keeping tabs on the Geno thread but there have been little to no mentions of our Dragonborn hero.
I don't keep up with the Geno thread too much. But really, Dragonborn is a character who's hidden in plain sight. Skyrim as a western IP makes him unpredictable.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I stopped looking at the Geno thread. I went down the rabbit hole and let myself get too hyped with the rumors and that was not fun at all.

I don't even know what to think. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but Smash speculation has tended to be a matter of "the more disappointing is sounds, the more likely it is to be true" for me. I also try to avoid leaks and rumors if I can help it too - I don't want the extra anxiety from this.

As far as my (admittedly very limited) research shows, it seems that nobody's found the Cacomallow hats or been able to make those exact things, but there are mods to put in new costumes. And really, nobody's talking about it beyond that. I'm still putting it in 'plausible' territory, but it really could go either really well or really badly.

It seems weird that they would go with a Cacodemon hat unless Doomguy was the character. We didn't get a Jack Frost hat with Joker. But then again, the Altaïr series brought just a costume of one of its characters and nothing else (and oddly, it's first but not it's most well-known character at that). There's precedent for both ways.

If it were true, I could see that hat being packaged with either a Doomguy character, or as part of a Bethesda package including a Doomguy Mii costume and possibly another Beth character (like our Dovahbro), or even a set of Beth Miis (ngl I low key want a Vault Mii). Or it could just be a Caco hat and done. So it could go very well or disappointingly badly.

I'm not concerned about 'we haven't seen the costumes yet' since they obviously take way less time to make than a character, and they'll likely want to match the costumes with the character if they can. Releasing an Assassin's Creed Mii pretty well suggests that there's no AC character, and it may even hint towards a lack of an Ubisoft character in general. But I can see them holding the Caco hat until a Beth character, if one's in the pipeline. There's also the fact that they haven't released all of the Sm4sh Miis, and they seem to be holding some fantasy swordsmen...but they could also easily come with Lloyd as well.

Of course, there's also that interview too, and my pessimistic gut feeling is 'NDA speak' instead of 'Doomguy out.' I can't rule out that it's NDA speak and goes with the Mii costume being packaged with Dovahkiin, but that is starting to feel like grasping at straws.

There are a lot of good reasons to add Dovahkiin: one of only 2 Western games to get a perfect on Famitsu (and GTAV may be hard to translate into Smash), Served as an inspiration for pretty well every open-world game since 2012 (including Breath of the Wild), had a port that included amiibo support and crossover content, probably one of the best-known games that won every award its year (People say Joker deserved to get in since it won best RPG and was nominated for GOTY, but Skyrim actually won both of those awards AND got reviewed higher than Persona 5 in Kotaku...) But there are a lot of hits against it as well. I don't hold much with Nintendo importance anymore, and Skyrim has some minimal importance in supporting the Switch and inspiring BotW, but I have to roll my eyes when someone with Snake, Cloud, or Joker in their avatar or mains list comes in with that argument. It's also over 8 years old at this point (while Doom has gotten, what 2 Switch releases since 2016?), and it's Western, so that's gonna make for some tough barriers to entry. Especially now with the quarantine. Yeah, deals would have been made already, but if we're getting a Western character, I bet the order of reveals is getting shuffled for that. And yeah, everyone has RPG and Swordy fatigue (like that's stopped Fire Emblem though). Even though Smash has no WRPG characters and you could make any moveset unique, people will complain (and especially around here if the underdog Dovahkiin gets in over the favorite Doomguy)

Mallow honestly is the less interesting part of that. The Geno costume was well received, so it'd make 100% sense to drop a Mallow hat with a Geno costume or character. I don't know if this implies Geno as a character as much as a Cacodemon hat implies Doom content though. Mallow's not exactly them going out to a new, foreign company just for a hat (which, admittedly, they have done with Sans, Cuphead, Altaïr...). On a personal level, I don't know about Geno as a character - if I were to take another Mario character, I'd prefer someone who actually has shown up in the spinoffs (plural) like Waluigi - but like I've said before: give me Dovahkiin and I'll take literally anyone else sight unseen.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Another point in our favor! Been looking forward to this for awhile, glad that the wait is finally over!

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
While I wouldn't say its interesting, its great to see Bethesda shaping up its history with Nintendo.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
It's generally a good idea to assume leaks are fake. Are we forgetting the Rayman leak and the Grinch leak?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It's generally a good idea to assume leaks are fake. Are we forgetting the Rayman leak and the Grinch leak?
That's true, I'm just surprised nobody's come out and claimed authorship.

Also what does everyone think of Blades so far? It's been a fun little romp but something just feels...off about it. Like in some ways it feels kinda empty and more generic medieval than Elder Scrolls. And I feel like it doesn't pull enough from the lore. Why are Cyrodillic castles in ruins? And most are a completely different architectural style. Furthermore, Cyrodiil doesn't have small Kingdoms like the game's plot describes. It has counties and was never shown to have any minor lords with castles or anything like that in Oblivion.

There's also the reuse of Skyrim assets where the Nordic style clashes greatly with the game's newer assets. Why's there an ancient Nordic throne in an Ayleid ruin?

Let's not forget Dragons in 4E 189, 12 years before Alduin's return!

Also despite their heavy inaccuracy, I do like the Ayleid Ruins tileset the game uses, the golden patterns on the stonework look great!

The gameplay is surprisingly nice for a mobile game and it felt pretty smooth, but doesn't really feel that fulfilling as a console experience. Though given the Switch's double nature as a handheld, I feel like this game was more geared towards that kind of experience, a game on the go that can be played in smaller chunks. I'm super happy to see Bethesda putting more Elder Scrolls on Switch, though I would've personally rather seen Morrowind and Oblivion ports instead. But we should be thankful that we have more leverage towards Smash inclusion, and gives us a little more recency.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
That's true, I'm just surprised nobody's come out and claimed authorship.

Also what does everyone think of Blades so far? It's been a fun little romp but something just feels...off about it. Like in some ways it feels kinda empty and more generic medieval than Elder Scrolls. And I feel like it doesn't pull enough from the lore. Why are Cyrodillic castles in ruins? And most are a completely different architectural style. Furthermore, Cyrodiil doesn't have small Kingdoms like the game's plot describes. It has counties and was never shown to have any minor lords with castles or anything like that in Oblivion.

There's also the reuse of Skyrim assets where the Nordic style clashes greatly with the game's newer assets. Why's there an ancient Nordic throne in an Ayleid ruin?

Let's not forget Dragons in 4E 189, 12 years before Alduin's return!

Also despite their heavy inaccuracy, I do like the Ayleid Ruins tileset the game uses, the golden patterns on the stonework look great!

The gameplay is surprisingly nice for a mobile game and it felt pretty smooth, but doesn't really feel that fulfilling as a console experience. Though given the Switch's double nature as a handheld, I feel like this game was more geared towards that kind of experience, a game on the go that can be played in smaller chunks. I'm super happy to see Bethesda putting more Elder Scrolls on Switch, though I would've personally rather seen Morrowind and Oblivion ports instead. But we should be thankful that we have more leverage towards Smash inclusion, and gives us a little more recency.
I won't be touching it for while, not even considerably near complete with my 2nd Skyrim playthrough in a long time. Also, I don't want to dab into too much TES. One game per anniversary is balancing.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm really not that into mobile games, so I dunno if I'll be going for Blades. Especially with ESO:Greymoor coming out next week. It does look pretty nice for a mobile game though.

But oh man, a Morrowind remake (or even a port) would be god-tier. That was my first TES game, and there are still some parts that are hard to top. Yeah, the graphics leave a lot to be desired 15 years later and the dice roll combat is total BS, but I loved the storyline. It was really fun that they had it set up in such a way that you didn't know the full story at the beginning - it really made it possible to do the sidequests. Not like Oblivion of Fallout 3, where every main quest was essentially "Quick, go to place XYZ as soon as possible!" which breaks immersion if you want to stop and smell the roses along the way. Morrowind literally told you to go off and do other things for a while, and you only found out you were the chosen one about halfway through. And the fact that you couldn't end up as the Grandmaster of every faction unless you were actually skilled at the faction in question? Annoying for completionists, but makes perfect sense for RPers. I'm not really a fan of how, even in Skyrim, you can become Arch Mage of the College without once casting a spell: you can use a Dragon Shout to enter after a certain point of the MQ, you can use Spellbreaker to act as the ward during Tolfdir's lesson, and then the rest is pretty standard questing.

I had been hoping that Morrowind got a remaster since they came out with the Morrowind expansion for ESO. Of course there are some things I'd change - give the NPCs AI schedules, have some radiant quests so you have reasons to explore some of the other ruins, definitely switch over to a decent combat - but even Morrowind had some things that Skyrim lacked like damageable armor and a spear line. If I were in charge, I'd make the armorer skill work like a combination of the two (craft armor and repair), condense the weapon skills like Skyrim did but keep spears, and of course I'd want to add a hunger/sleep system like Skyrim Creation club put in.

And I still need to replay Skyrim one more time. But it's looking like TES6 may be around 4 years off based on the latest rumors, so I have time.

But we should be thankful that we have more leverage towards Smash inclusion, and gives us a little more recency.
I guess, but Blades doesn't really seem to have much of a pull on that front. Nobody even mentioned it in the Newcomer Speculation thread - everything was all Paper Mario and Lip (since Panel de Pon is getting a VC port). Again, unless you're a favorite in the first place, nobody cares otherwise. Not to mention that Blades doesn't feature Dovahkiin, but I'd be surprised if Bethesda doesn't start finding ways to stick that helmet into every one of their games as an Easter egg from now on.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
And the fact that you couldn't end up as the Grandmaster of every faction unless you were actually skilled at the faction in question? Annoying for completionists, but makes perfect sense for RPers. I'm not really a fan of how, even in Skyrim, you can become Arch Mage of the College without once casting a spell: you can use a Dragon Shout to enter after a certain point of the MQ, you can use Spellbreaker to act as the ward during Tolfdir's lesson, and then the rest is pretty standard questing.
As far as I can remember, the only thing that prevented you from doing this in Morrowind was skill checks in the guild questlines, which could easily be bypassed by unlimited skill training. Yes, more spellcasting should be required for College of Winterhold, but easily-bypassible skill checks and grinding aren't exactly an effective alternative. Furthermore, all Guild Relations really were (aside from a few exclusive counterparts like Fighters/Thieves Guild and Hlaalu/Telvanni/Redoran, and it's not like Skyrim didn't have this either with Imperial Legion/Stormcloaks. Penitus Oculatus/Dark Brotherhood, Dawnguard vs Volkihar Clan Vampires) were disposition drops that can easily be raised back up by either joining their faction or via a high speech skill.

Another big complaint I have was with the big climactic reunification of the Dunmer towards the end. A lot of Morrowind die hards claim that the whole questline is rewarding and sophisticated, whereas in reality it starts to fall apart after you gain the support of Urshilaku. Finding Moon-and-Star is cryptic and tedious, and you have to do very little to actually get the Dunmer houses on your side. Maybe the experience is different if you join a Great House before starting that part of the quest, but it was just too...easy. Hlaalu just requires you to visit all of the councilors, Telvanni is the same, except one of them is stubborn and you have to kill him. Redoran actually requires you to do a quest, but after that they all just agree like the other two houses. It really was just "go to councilor, click topic, go to next councilor, click topic". It didn't feel very satisfying.
It was definitely better with the other Ashlanders, though, as you actually did have to help them in an interesting way to gain their support.

Also, even if you aren't informed that you're explicitly Nerevarine until before Caius Cosades leaves, you're implied to be very special and part of aprophecy as early as the introduction. Whereas in Skyrim, while you learn early on that you're Dragonborn, after the intro all you know is that you're just a prisoner who got lucky.

I still love Morrowind just like the other games, but as someone who played it much later as opposed to growing up with it, the game has a fair amount of problems and the story isn't a Shakespearean masterpiece like a lot of people preach. It also shows that complexity for complexity's sake isn't always a good thing. and that Morrowind in a way is actually much simpler once certain aspects of it are deconstructed. People seem to look most at explicitly what is missing, but not any positive effect said thing missing may have. For example, after Oblivion, I can't say I miss the traditional leveling system or attributes, as there shouldn't be a WRONG way to level up.

I hope this didn't sound mindless,I just wanted to get my two cents out there. I agree that a Morrowind remaster that fixes a lot of these problems would be fantastic, but as of now the game, just because it looks more complex on the surface, doesn't mean it's better.

I guess, but Blades doesn't really seem to have much of a pull on that front. Nobody even mentioned it in the Newcomer Speculation thread - everything was all Paper Mario and Lip (since Panel de Pon is getting a VC port). Again, unless you're a favorite in the first place, nobody cares otherwise. Not to mention that Blades doesn't feature Dovahkiin, but I'd be surprised if Bethesda doesn't start finding ways to stick that helmet into every one of their games as an Easter egg from now on.
I know, but every little thing counts. If people think that every little (multiplatform) DOOM port counts for something, then a Nintendo-exclusive Elder Scrolls port should as well.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Just realized that Blades has been at the top of the Switch news bar for over a week. Looks like Nintendo wants to push it to a degree. Potentially good for us?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Just realized that Blades has been at the top of the Switch news bar for over a week. Looks like Nintendo wants to push it to a degree. Potentially good for us?
Its a positive to say the least. Nintendo must really like TES, Skyrim specifically because of its influence on BoTW.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I know it feels like a minor topic, but any news is good news.

Meanwhile, now that 2019 is over, the whole DOOM celebration is over and things are slowing down on their end outside of Eternal updates. So hopefully this year will be much less nerve-wracking than last year.

Less than a month until ARMS, if CacoMallow ends up being real, then hopefully CacoDemon won't show up with the ARMS rep.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit, my support of the Dragonborn is entirely situational. If the Smash team thinks the default Nord is enough to build around, this character will not really satisfy me. However, I would think there's a somewhat higher chance that should he get in, other races will also be present alts. In that instance, maybe I do support the idea. The Elder Scrolls brand means quite a bit to me, and is one of the few third-party series I would enjoy being in Smash to above-decent degrees.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'll admit, my support of the Dragonborn is entirely situational. If the Smash team thinks the default Nord is enough to build around, this character will not really satisfy me. However, I would think there's a somewhat higher chance that should he get in, other races will also be present alts. In that instance, maybe I do support the idea. The Elder Scrolls brand means quite a bit to me, and is one of the few third-party series I would enjoy being in Smash to above-decent degrees.
I can't see them not using different race/gender options. The Elder Scrolls has always been focused on character creation, so it makes sense that they'd go for a bunch of options. The only thing I can see them skipping out on would be a Khajiit or Argonian version since the tails would start to get in the way, but I could easily see the others. Granted, it may be difficult to differentiate Nords/Bretons/Imperials and Bosmer if their ears are covered by a helmet since they all have similar skintones, but I can completely see them making a version with gold skin for Altmer, grey for the Dunmer, a dark-skinned version for Redguards, and a green Orc.

I gotta have my Orc dude.

I doubt they'd go more than the two meshes though. Hero ended up with four different looks, and I'm sure that the reason that Hero didn't get any Heroines to come with him was that they already made 4 meshes and didn't want to go all out with the BJ every-costume-is-a-different-model. Dovahkiin though? Easily the Robin/Corrin/Byleth treatment, and it'd work.

Meanwhile, now that 2019 is over, the whole DOOM celebration is over and things are slowing down on their end outside of Eternal updates. So hopefully this year will be much less nerve-wracking than last year.
I'm really waiting to hear some Bethesda news. The ESO forums are getting really salty since the Greymoor patch is tomorrow and it's coming with the typical nerfs, so they're all doom-and-gloom. Kinda funny that they claim up and down that ESO is dying and worthless and then say that ESO is a huge cash cow for Bethesda so they'll never come out with TES6 since that would kill ESO. Seems they're all just salty that the PvP is sub-par, and they don't like that TES players actually enjoy the game for the TES aspect (which does work well, if anyone's wondering). And yeah, TES6 won't be coming out until at least 2021 at the earliest (I think I heard 2024 as rumors), but I doubt they're gonna full out cancel it.

I will say that getting DOOM shoved in my face constantly over the last year was more than a little obnoxious. You know those times when something you're indifferent to just gets played up and everyone talks about it nonstop? And it's all over Youtube, and all of the sites you visit plaster it everywhere? Wolverine publicity. And because of that, the stuff you do like just gets shoved aside. You kinda start to resent it. A lot. Yeah, that's where I am with Doom.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I will say that getting DOOM shoved in my face constantly over the last year was more than a little obnoxious. You know those times when something you're indifferent to just gets played up and everyone talks about it nonstop? And it's all over Youtube, and all of the sites you visit plaster it everywhere? Wolverine publicity. And because of that, the stuff you do like just gets shoved aside. You kinda start to resent it. A lot. Yeah, that's where I am with Doom.
I feel the exact same way. I'm a little more than offended that for series anniversaries The Elder Scrolls only got a week while DOOM got an entire YEAR. I know DOOM is iconic, but the Elder Scrolls is just as big (if not bigger) these days and is their flagship franchise that THEY made.

It also hurts that once again Dragonborn isn't even CONSIDERED when people make lists for western characters while people flaunt golden child Doom Slayer back and forth. At least the Rate Their Chances thread has the slayer on the deconfirmed list for their leaderboard while Dragonborn has a decent standing. I'm glad we at least got some time in the sun back when Fatmanonice was predicting him, but now we need to up the amount of activity in our thread and push for our character in other parts of the site. We need to push forward Dragonborn's status as a major player who shouldn't be written off.

Remember that all of DOOM's momentum is either fan bias or simply a coincidence, and that the Cacodemon hat (if it's even real) can come with ANY Bethesda character. Cacodemon is Doom's mascot, so he's general enough to come with any Bethesda rep. He's not like Mallow who'd make little sense if he didn't come with Geno or something related to him. I highly doubt Mallow would show up by himself. If anything, we should try to make acquaintances with the Geno thread at least to some degree. I'm also sure that there are more Dragonborn fans on the forum who support him quietly but don't speak about it openly due to the overwhelming favoritism towards DOOM.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
All of you dudes are really side tracked. Dragonborn, IS a Smash candidate that's hidden in plain sight. You really can't predict the Dragonborn. Its just more of a waiting game. Isabelle wasn't as supported pre-reveal and she was already extremely popular, from what I know. Dragonborn is the underdog candidate that if he's to be revealed, people will comment in this exact support thread, stating that they seen it from a mile away. If Dragonborn is never revealed, he's to go down as one of candidates that should have got in.

Dragonborn is anonymous with Smash and you can't take that away from him.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
All of you dudes are really side tracked. Dragonborn, IS a Smash candidate that's hidden in plain sight. You really can't predict the Dragonborn. Its just more of a waiting game. Isabelle wasn't as supported pre-reveal and she was already extremely popular, from what I know. Dragonborn is the underdog candidate that if he's to be revealed, people will comment in this exact support thread, stating that they seen it from a mile away. If Dragonborn is never revealed, he's to go down as one of candidates that should have got in.

Dragonborn is anonymous with Smash and you can't take that away from him.
Good point on Isabelle! Though the problem is getting the community to realize this.

And do you think people would give our thread more activity? Despite all of the Fatmanonice predictions back in late December, all of the buzz was confined to the Geno thread (while unlikely characters like KOS-MOS got floods of discussion everywhere and a support thread boom).

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Good point on Isabelle! Though the problem is getting the community to realize this.

And do you think people would give our thread more activity? Despite all of the Fatmanonice predictions back in late December, all of the buzz was confined to the Geno thread (while unlikely characters like KOS-MOS got floods of discussion everywhere and a support thread boom).
Only a really convincing leak or reveal would really give the Dragonborn support thread more outside users. I can honestly see why this thread isn't interesting to post in for some, and, Dragonborn's support is in fact spread through multiple sites.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Only a really convincing leak or reveal would really give the Dragonborn support thread more outside users. I can honestly see why this thread isn't interesting to post in for some, and, Dragonborn's support is in fact spread through multiple sites.
It's actually kinda sad most characters only get support because fake leaks/rumours mention them. I highly suspect most of the support for Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider and Isaac only came about because of their leaks and people talking themselves into supporting them and not, ya know, because people actually care about the character and genuinely want those characters.

But that's leak culture, I suppose.
Fake leak comes out > People hype themselves over a character they don't actually care about > People start unironically asking for/speculating about them > Leaks include that character because people are asking for them > Rinse and repeat until the hype for the character overshadows the character themselves.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It's actually kinda sad most characters only get support because fake leaks/rumours mention them. I highly suspect most of the support for Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider and Isaac only came about because of their leaks and people talking themselves into supporting them and not, ya know, because people actually care about the character and genuinely want those characters.

But that's leak culture, I suppose.
Fake leak comes out > People hype themselves over a character they don't actually care about > People start unironically asking for/speculating about them > Leaks include that character because people are asking for them > Rinse and repeat until the hype for the character overshadows the character themselves.
I guess when you really look into it. I think its the boost Dragonborn needs, in any case. Imagine how much TES content Bethesda will happily allow Sakurai to use like what KoF.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I guess when you really look into it. I think its the boost Dragonborn needs, in any case. Imagine how much TES content Bethesda will happily allow Sakurai to use like what KoF.
I'm sure there'd be tons! It was Todd Howard's idea to add Zelda items to the Switch port, so clearly he must be a fan of Nintendo. Plus it comes with a lot of good publicity.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah, I know what you mean about the lack of support. So many places, it seems like speculation is "Well, if Bethesda gets a character it has to be Doomguy, since there are literally no other options. I guess maybe Vault Boy, but I don't think he's popular in Japan"

...uhh, what?

I know we barely got a boost from the Geno thread's discussions in December - I even went over there to say hi and look into the rumors, and the very next post after I did was all "Ugh Dovahkiin sux, Doomguy's better." Man, they know how to make a place feel welcoming, y'know?

Dovahkiin's got a lot of points in his favor, but yeah - he's a one-off from an older game. But how many fan favorites are also described that way? Dovahkiin seems like the kind of character who, if Sakurai shows him off, people will completely be like "OMG who didn't see this coming, I mean Skyrim was the second game shown off for Switch and had some Zelda crossovers and inspired pretty well every open world game since 2011 and was the first Western game to get perfect on Famitsu. Obviously it was gonna get in!" Of course until then, we just have to sit with "OMG another swordsman! Ugh!"

But that's speculation for you - once a somewhat credible leak comes out and points to another character, everyone needs to run onto the bandwagon because it's better to support the characters who are getting in than the ones you actually want. /s

I'm sure there'd be tons! It was Todd Howard's idea to add Zelda items to the Switch port, so clearly he must be a fan of Nintendo. Plus it comes with a lot of good publicity.
I really hope Todd Howard was involved in those hypothetical discussions that may or may not have happened and pulled for Skyrim. I really want to see the memes that would come out of Dovahkiin in Smash. I'd hope that they'd make it a smooth discussion to see Dovahkiin cross blades with Link, or even donate some of the models for stages/hazards or whatever. I know that TES doesn't really to renders, so all of the Spirits would have to be made from scratch though...you could take game models or maybe the Legends cards, but you'd still have to crop out the background...

Although isn't there some political business going on with Jeremy Soule as well? I just know that he hasn't been doing music for ESO beyond them remixing the standard TES melody. I'd love to get some of the Skyrim original songs in, even some of the older title themes, but I don't know if there's something there.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know what you mean about the lack of support. So many places, it seems like speculation is "Well, if Bethesda gets a character it has to be Doomguy, since there are literally no other options. I guess maybe Vault Boy, but I don't think he's popular in Japan"

...uhh, what?

I know we barely got a boost from the Geno thread's discussions in December - I even went over there to say hi and look into the rumors, and the very next post after I did was all "Ugh Dovahkiin sux, Doomguy's better." Man, they know how to make a place feel welcoming, y'know?
My guess is that there's more overlap between Nintendo and DOOM fans rather than Nintendo and Elder Scrolls fans, but it still doesn't excuse any of the bad behavior. I don't mean to point fingers but who made that awful response to your post? I've met my fair share of hostile users in the Geno thread.

They also seem to forget that Doom isn't popular in Japan, either. He even gets nicknames like "Green Samus" and "Pacific Rim Guy" from Japanese fans, and all of them would greatly prefer Master Chief.

Of course until then, we just have to sit with "OMG another swordsman! Ugh!"
Since he's from a western RPG, has a much different tone, and has unique abilities to set him apart, I doubt we'll get as many complaints as the more anime-esque swordsmen.

I really hope Todd Howard was involved in those hypothetical discussions that may or may not have happened and pulled for Skyrim. I really want to see the memes that would come out of Dovahkiin in Smash. I'd hope that they'd make it a smooth discussion to see Dovahkiin cross blades with Link, or even donate some of the models for stages/hazards or whatever. I know that TES doesn't really to renders, so all of the Spirits would have to be made from scratch though...you could take game models or maybe the Legends cards, but you'd still have to crop out the background...
Todd Howard has as big of a say within the company as Pete Hines does, so I'm sure his influence played a big part in any hypothetical discussions. A lot of it comes down to Sakurai, though, and who he thinks is the best choice. For example, he went to Square Enix for Cloud and was able to negotiate for him despite Square insisting on a more modern FF character instead. It might depend on who Sakurai likes best.

Nonetheless, those were the Smash 4 days, and in Ultimate with Nintendo choosing the characters (and having chosen specifically Skyrim in the Switch reveal showcase), the suits at Nintendo would more than likely choose Dragonborn. Combine that with Todd's influence and things could be looking good for us.

Though I really wish someone would ask Todd Howard about Smash during interviews. People are willing to do this multiple times for iD Software but never for Todd or anyone else at Bethesda Game Studios. That would fill in a huge missing piece to the Bethesda puzzle.

Although isn't there some political business going on with Jeremy Soule as well? I just know that he hasn't been doing music for ESO beyond them remixing the standard TES melody. I'd love to get some of the Skyrim original songs in, even some of the older title themes, but I don't know if there's something there.
Hopefully there's nothing wrong regarding Jeremy. When I looked into the information for Elder Scrolls Blades and saw that Inon Zur (Fallout's composer) did the music instead, I started to worry.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
They also seem to forget that Doom isn't popular in Japan, either. He even gets nicknames like "Green Samus" and "Pacific Rim Guy" from Japanese fans, and all of them would greatly prefer Master Chief.
Where is the stuff said? Because if it's true, it's definitely interesting and looks sorta good for Dovahkiin.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Where is the stuff said? Because if it's true, it's definitely interesting and looks sorta good for Dovahkiin.
I'd have to do some digging, but someone had posted a Japanese fan's Doom Slayer for Smash concept video along with the translated comments.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
In case anyone's wondering, the new intro cinematic for ESO: Greymoor (aka Skyrim) starts exactly the way everyone expected it to.

If you haven't picked it up yet, it is pretty fun ... unless you're into chasing endgame metas, especially for PvP. I'm playing it like a normal Elder Scrolls game, and it's great. There are a few problems with lag once you get to the difficult endgame content, and mid to high level PvP leaves a lot to be desired, but for Elder Scrolls fans looking for an Elder Scrolls fix, it's really good.

Naturally the new area (Solitude) is crowded with all of the people there and the forums are complaining about every little thing, but if you want to wait for it to go on sale and check it out, I recommend it. They usually have free weekends every once in a while (I'd expect around August) if you want to try it no risk.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
How is Solitude when compared to Skyrim's depiction? Did they keep it largely similar or make some big changes?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-amazon-france-lists-several-unannounced-games-for-switch/

Double post, but potential news for us! Three of these are Bethesda games, one of which is Switch exclusive. Here's hoping that one of these is a Morrowind or Oblivion port to strengthen the series' representation!

Also keep in mind that these are apparently listings for physical games. Can't be DOOM since all of their games have been ported. Wolfenstein as far as I'm aware has nothing new to announce or port. Could potentially be a Fallout 4 or 76 port, but we have yet to see Bethesda port any of their online games to Switch. What else could it be other than an Elder Scrolls game? It could potentially be an ESO port since Greymoor released recently and Skyrim's on Switch, so that experience would be a good segue for new players.

So this Switch-exclusive game is likely an Elder Scrolls port or Fallout 4. As for the two multiplatform titles, who knows.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
It'd be really strange not to see any TES content in Smash by this point. I'm just gonna assume Sakurai is low key playing Morrowind or whatever.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I heard someone mention Bethesda games coming for Switch...intriguing, but my inner pessimist isn't getting to hype just yet.

Of course these boards and everyone else will be like "zOMG 3 DOOM GAMES!!!!11!" since so many people think that Bethesda does nothing but publish idSoft games, but it doesn't necessarily need to be TES either. They do still have Dishonored, Wolfenstein, and a bunch of other IPs that fly even further under the radar than us.

Interesting that one's a Switch exclusive. I'd guess that's likely Fallout 4 since it already came out on XB/PS ages ago, but it could be something new. My big confusion is that one that's for Switch and PS - Beth doesn't seem to do anything for only one of the two major consoles anymore, and when they did it was stuff like Morrowind that was only PC/Xbox, not PS. I wonder if that's supposed to be multiplat.

We do know however that Legends still has no release date for Switch/PS4/XB1. That could be one of them...but would that be digital? Then again, Amazon can sell digital versions, so possibly.

But oh man how I want older TES remakes. Can you imagine Morrowind or Oblivion on-the-go? Especially if they fix some of the wonky combat in those? That would make a great Switch game.

How is Solitude when compared to Skyrim's depiction? Did they keep it largely similar or make some big changes?
Almost exactly the same. It's pretty impressive actually. Some of the businesses have moved (Radiant Raiment is still the name of the clothier, but they're where the Fletcher was in Skyrim, and the bank is now in the building that was Angeline's Aromatics), the Hall of the Dead is now also home to the fences, but you even can get the same Proudspire Manor as a player home.

Funny story - I went in there with a new character yesterday to just start some quests, and I had my main make some daggers for the new guy to deconstruct for experience. Most cities have the crafting stations pretty near the market, so I was looking around there and I couldn't find it. I went to open my map to look where the crafting stations were but then I remembered from before and said to myself "I know where the blacksmithing station is..." I went up the ramp toward Castle Dour, and it was right there - exactly where the forge was in Skyrim. So for over 1000 years, Solitude had a forge in the same place. Nice.

Really nice, even though I didn't spend much time in Solitude in Skyrim. I kept mostly to Whiterun and oddly enough Markarth (I guess it's the Orc in me). Windhelm and Riften both got a few changes from Skyrim to ESO (granted, it's 1000 years earlier), but Solitude is almost exactly the same. Nice touches.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Markarth is honestly beautiful when your just looking at the aesthetic of the city. Vlindrel Hall is my 3rd favorite player home in the game and its neat that there is a handful of innocent people in the hold, the blacksmiths, etc. A hold I really can't stand is Windhelm, Windhelm is too mazy.

Top Bottom