• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You don't seem to understand, do you? If the Wii U version has characters that can be transfered to the 3DS version, they'd have the same roster. If you have a source that shows Sakurai said "the rosters will be exactly the same come the wii u launch and will not be completed by linking them" then I'll say you're correct. Since they do need something to hype up the Wii U release, characters could do just that, and be added to the 3DS later. Same roster, but never did they say "when" it'd be the same.
I've noticed many can't accept facts and take things at face value while refusing to acknowledge that Sakurai is very good at stretching the truth. You're wasting your time. Then again, the person clearly took something that wasn't there from the interviews, so it's just a pointless debbie downer troll.

However, we have found zero character files for anyone besides the regular set of characters. So the connect both may be false anyway. DLC for both? Entirely possible.

Also demanding that IC stay out of the Wii U version just because they can't work in the 3DS seems petty to me. Don't be petty.
It goes the other way around too. Demanding they're in one version while screwing over the other is pretty petty in reality. Not that most like their cut, it's just they can't accept it was a reasonable move.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
For the record, that really old file leak was fake. We got a new one, and it has missing playable character files. They're wiped clean. So I'm not so sure this will happen. DLC is another story, though. That can add new files to the game.
Like said before though the Wii U version could add the missing files/characters to the 3DS by linking them. So there not being certain files on the 3DS version doesn't mean such a thing won't happen, I don't think. I still don't think having IC in the Wii U version only would be bad. If it was due to 3DS limitations it just seems silly to me to keep them out. Maybe Sakurai made the roster statement before the ICs difficulties came about? I don't even like playing as them but to me it just feels like not having them in the Wii U version would be hurting only those who like playing them at all. Look at it this way: 3DS version does not have them, period. It may never have them unless on New 3DS. Why should that mean the Wii U can't have them? If I say you can't have a cookie because I need an exact amount for a bake sale, but I end up with more than I thought, would you turn down a cookie later on?

Also can anyone tell me if these extra Wii U characters came from a trusted source that knew other things about Smash 4?

Edit: Also Falcon what I mean is that there not being files there doesn't mean anything, does it? Couldn't the files for the 3DS version be on the Wii U version and installed when linking them? This could be one way of doing it for those that have both versions, and then later on (as incentive to buy the Wii U version) they could be added to the 3DS version as DLC. Could that not be a possibility?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Like said before though the Wii U version could add the missing files/characters to the 3DS by linking them. So there not being certain files on the 3DS version doesn't mean such a thing won't happen, I don't think. I still don't think having IC in the Wii U version only would be bad. If it was due to 3DS limitations it just seems silly to me to keep them out. Maybe Sakurai made the roster statement before the ICs difficulties came about? I don't even like playing as them but to me it just feels like not having them in the Wii U version would be hurting only those who like playing them at all. Look at it this way: 3DS version does not have them, period. It may never have them unless on New 3DS. Why should that mean the Wii U can't have them? If I say you can't have a cookie because I need an exact amount for a bake sale, but I end up with more than I thought, would you turn down a cookie later on?
A small cookie and an item that costs over 300 dollars total is a major difference, to be fair. I don't think the 3DS version truly hurt the Wii U version myself. One cut is tolerable. Everybody else is prime to come back with zero issues anyway.

Also can anyone tell me if these extra Wii U characters came from a trusted source that knew other things about Smash 4?
It was just a random source. Nobody knows if it's true. It's a rumor/leak.

Edit: Also Falcon what I mean is that there not being files there doesn't mean anything, does it? Couldn't the files for the 3DS version be on the Wii U version and installed when linking them? This could be one way of doing it for those that have both versions, and then later on (as incentive to buy the Wii U version) they could be added to the 3DS version as DLC. Could that not be a possibility?
Yes, they could. I don't think anybody brought up that point.

That'd explain the cut files. They're in the Wii U version and would appear. I am not a major programmer, so I don't know if that could work or not. I think they might have to be there for a non-regular DLC to work, though. Either way, I dunno.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
A small cookie and an item that costs over 300 dollars total is a major difference, to be fair. I don't think the 3DS version truly hurt the Wii U version myself. One cut is tolerable. Everybody else is prime to come back with zero issues anyway.

It was just a random source. Nobody knows if it's true. It's a rumor/leak.

Yes, they could. I don't think anybody brought up that point.

That'd explain the cut files. They're in the Wii U version and would appear. I am not a major programmer, so I don't know if that could work or not. I think they might have to be there for a non-regular DLC to work, though. Either way, I dunno.
Well I mean if linking them could "download" the files from the Wii U that would install the characters into the 3DS version, it'd not be any different from DLC. You'd just be "downloading" it from the Wii U in a sense. That's what I mean, if I wasn't being clear. Don't know if I was or not, sorry.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I mean if linking them could "download" the files from the Wii U that would install the characters into the 3DS version, it'd not be any different from DLC. You'd just be "downloading" it from the Wii U in a sense. That's what I mean, if I wasn't being clear. Don't know if I was or not, sorry.
I don't know if the 3DS version needs placeholder files to download them or not.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The roster was final, for now. After a couple months if the game does well they will release a few DLC packs but I would not expect the Chorus Men, K Rool and Ridley to be the first thing on the agenda. It'll be more like, Mewtwo and the Ice Climbers, and Wolf maybe... all the cuts they made. I think to stretch the meaning of what Sakurai said about the rosters being finalized early on in both versions, and that both versions will have the same roster, is just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't know if the 3DS version needs placeholder files to download them or not.
Unclear. Any DLC characters for Smash could end up being somewhat limited in their capabilities, e.g., perhaps they couldn't be used in With Anyone online, or maybe they wouldn't have any custom special moves, etc. Who knows if there is a limit to what can be patched in?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unclear. Any DLC characters for Smash could end up being somewhat limited in their capabilities, e.g., perhaps they couldn't be used in With Anyone online, or maybe they wouldn't have any custom special moves, etc. Who knows if there is a limit to what can be patched in?
I don't mean DLC. That's different. We know for a fact it can get any without placeholders. That didn't work for Brawl. It had the ability programmed in for custom courses. They didn't make it possible for character dlc, but I think it could've been done anyway. They had character files for the Forbidden 7. They just failed to place the coding to allow those files to download. Probably due to more time limitations. The roster was super good, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

I do not know if we need placeholders for connecting both instead. That's entirely different. But maybe those missing files are not viewable because the games aren't connected. Like, encrypted or something.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't mean DLC. That's different. We know for a fact it can get any without placeholders. That didn't work for Brawl. It had the ability programmed in for custom courses. They didn't make it possible for character dlc, but I think it could've been done anyway. They had character files for the Forbidden 7. They just failed to place the coding to allow those files to download. Probably due to more time limitations. The roster was super good, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

I do not know if we need placeholders for connecting both instead. That's entirely different. But maybe those missing files are not viewable because the games aren't connected. Like, encrypted or something.
We are talking about the same thing, don't you see? The only difference is the method in which the new data is received. I said DLC, which means the data would come from Nintendo via the internet. You are referring to the WiiU doing a data transfer/download to 3DS, which is exactly the same scenario, in the end, except that the logistics are different.

Adding characters to the 3DS version from nothing is the issue being discussed. How that data gets there is all but irrelevant in regards to what we will get, but it could effect the price at which it would come, which is a secondary or tertiary issue.

Both 3DS games and WiiU games are fully capable of DLC/patched content. That isn't in question. My only question is, does the Smash 3DS code have certain unknown limitations? Would DLC characters feel natural? Fully integrated? Like they had been there from the beginning, with all the bells and whistles? Or would they feel a bit gimped? That is unclear.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We are talking about the same thing, don't you see? The only difference is the method in which the new data is received. I said DLC, which means the data would come from Nintendo via the internet. You are referring to the WiiU doing a data transfer/download to 3DS, which is exactly the same scenario, in the end, except that the logistics are different.

Adding characters to the 3DS version from nothing is the issue being discussed. How that data gets there is all but irrelevant in regards to what we will get, but it could effect the price at which it would come, which is a secondary or tertiary issue.
Long story short, it's different programming and how it works. As I said, I don't know if connecting both requires previous programming to add characters. Placeholders for each character would exist. Which we know does not(unless the files are encrypted).

All I'm saying is that DLC and connections aren't the same programming. I am not saying that the data transfer can't work without placeholders. I just am entirely unsure of that.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Long story short, it's different programming and how it works. As I said, I don't know if connecting both requires previous programming to add characters. Placeholders for each character would exist. Which we know does not(unless the files are encrypted).

All I'm saying is that DLC and connections aren't the same programming. I am not saying that the data transfer can't work without placeholders. I just am entirely unsure of that.
And you know that it's different how? The WiiU version, in a data transfer situation, would still be patching new data onto the 3DS game or SD card. Same as an eshop download would. Both methods are not mutually exclusive, and neither requires anything special from the 3DS version as far as we know.

What do you know that I don't? Are you just arguing semantics? Maybe the actual 1s and 0s on the WiiU and eshop would differ slightly... Who cares if the end result is a new character on the CSS? It's irrelevant.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And you know that it's different how? The WiiU version, in a data transfer situation, would still be patching new data onto the 3DS game or SD card. Same as an eshop download would. Both methods are not mutually exclusive, and neither requires anything special from the 3DS version as far as we know.

What do you know that I don't? Are you just arguing semantics? Maybe the actual 1s and 0s on the WiiU and eshop would differ slightly... Who cares if the end result is a new character on the CSS? It's irrelevant.
Allow me to explain; When transferring data, it needs to have a placeholder to accept the data in some way. Both games have similar programming to transfer data.

DLC is something that is entirely new programming that never was in the original. At one time, DLC was only possible on games that were coded to accept that programming. This is where On-Disc DLC comes from. Nowadays, we can put new information onto the game even if it didn't have this special kind of coding.

I'm saying, for a data transfer to work, both games must have that data in some way. It's locked by default(hence encrypted). You see, on the real list we got, we cannot actually grab the data files for any characters. It means either A) They do not exist and a data transfer can't unlock characters because there is no files or B) Those files are locked but will be unlocked with the data transfer.

This is what I know about it, mind you. Not a semantics thing. Now, I could be wrong too. I am not severely fluent in programming, so if somebody wants to correct me, please go ahead. But from what I know, a Data Transfer is different from DLC due to the nature of how they work. It might be because with a Data Transfer, the other game clearly has that data, just locked in some way(from what I know, this was always the case. To clarify, this may have changed, and I never knew that. But that's my knowledge on it).

All I'm saying is that the data list we got suggests the Data Transfer idea is less likely, nothing more. Not impossible. :) But that's due to my knowledge of programming.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Allow me to explain; When transferring data, it needs to have a placeholder to accept the data in some way. Both games have similar programming to transfer data.

DLC is something that is entirely new programming that never was in the original. At one time, DLC was only possible on games that were coded to accept that programming. This is where On-Disc DLC comes from. Nowadays, we can put new information onto the game even if it didn't have this special kind of coding.

I'm saying, for a data transfer to work, both games must have that data in some way. It's locked by default(hence encrypted). You see, on the real list we got, we cannot actually grab the data files for any characters. It means either A) They do not exist and a data transfer can't unlock characters because there is no files or B) Those files are locked but will be unlocked with the data transfer.

This is what I know about it, mind you. Not a semantics thing. Now, I could be wrong too. I am not severely fluent in programming, so if somebody wants to correct me, please go ahead. But from what I know, a Data Transfer is different from DLC due to the nature of how they work. It might be because with a Data Transfer, the other game clearly has that data, just locked in some way(from what I know, this was always the case. To clarify, this may have changed, and I never knew that. But that's my knowledge on it).

All I'm saying is that the data list we got suggests the Data Transfer idea is less likely, nothing more. Not impossible. :) But that's due to my knowledge of programming.
Hyperfalcon, my friend, how do you suppose that the WiiU would give the 3DS version more content? It's not a case of "unlocking" on-disc data, apparently. It has to be patched in and downloaded by the 3DS through local wireless connection. The machanism that would do this (located on the WiiU disc) would be identical to the process utilized by the eshop for similar things (DLC and patches, ala Fire Emblem Awakening & Pokemon XY, respectively).

The WiiU doesn't have any special kind of juju magic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hyperfalcon, my friend, how do you suppose that the WiiU would give the 3DS version more content? It's not a case of "unlocking" on-disc data, apparently. It has to be patched in and downloaded by the 3DS through local wireless connection. The machanism that would do this (located on the WiiU disc) would be identical to the process utilized by the eshop for similar things (DLC and patches, ala Fire Emblem Awakening & Pokemon XY, respectively).

The WiiU doesn't have any special kind of juju magic.
Ah. Now that makes sense. I just define them differently due to their nature. Connecting means you're getting it from a system, and DLC is something you get from going online and pressing "download"(or similar methods).

I guess it was a semantics thing. I did not even know that earlier. XD My bad.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't think the "hidden" characters on 3DS need to be downloaded from Wii U. It is like Pokemon: There's information and data on hidden/unknown Pokemon that are not obtainable through normal gameplay. It is a bonus if you buy the Wii U version and have the 3DS version as well. You can play with those characters online and that will trigger interest in the Wii U version because people may want to use that character. It's pretty simple to think about and I think it has been done before especially during the GCN and GBA days.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think the "hidden" characters on 3DS need to be downloaded from Wii U. It is like Pokemon: There's information and data on hidden/unknown Pokemon that are not obtainable through normal gameplay. It is a bonus if you buy the Wii U version and have the 3DS version as well. You can play with those characters online and that will trigger interest in the Wii U version because people may want to use that character. It's pretty simple to think about and I think it has been done before especially during the GCN and GBA days.
I think what you're missing the part of is that we could find zero files for the other characters. They're outright missing in the data. Either this was never going to happen, or they're encrypted to not show up till you connect both.

That's why the Data Transfer thing has less merit.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Ah. Now that makes sense. I just define them differently due to their nature. Connecting means you're getting it from a system, and DLC is something you get from going online and pressing "download"(or similar methods).

I guess it was a semantics thing. I did not even know that earlier. XD My bad.
No big deal. I felt that it was probably just a misunderstanding between us :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No big deal. I felt that it was probably just a misunderstanding between us :)
It's also possible that DLC has a strict difference from Data Transfer to not confuse people. But in reality, I can see how it's counted as the same. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So someone cracked the 3DS version code?
Yes. And unlike that weird list, it was real.

The only notable things is that every character not playable has zero files, and that it had the order of Brawl's coding, suggesting he outright took Brawl's coding to place the character list. This could mean he never planned Mewtwo as well. But since there are no hidden files we can find, we have no idea who he planned beyond obviously IC's. This is interesting too.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice

The only notable things is that every character not playable has zero files, and that it had the order of Brawl's coding, suggesting he outright took Brawl's coding to place the character list. This could mean he never planned Mewtwo as well. But since there are no hidden files we can find, we have no idea who he planned beyond obviously IC's. This is interesting too.
So there was no IC files? I imagine from the start they made a list of characters to work on and nothing else. Dark pit may have been planned at the start too. I wish we had the list of characters they decided on from the start.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So there was no IC files? I imagine from the start they made a list of characters to work on and nothing else. Dark pit may have been planned at the start too. I wish we had the list of characters they decided on from the start.
Nope.

But Sakurai sounded like he cut them a long time ago. I think he removed all those files so people can't yell at him for planned characters. Besides those guys.

Or who knows. That too.

And I wish we had a full list of considerations and plans too. We know Mewtwo was considered and Ice Climbers were planned. That was it.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
Do we know why Waluigi was not made playable besides "Trying hard enough doesn't mean you will make it in Smash Bros"?

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Is there like some kind of link to the supposed cracking of the 3DS Version? I heard that there was like 2GB of space left for future changes, which surely can't be just for patches and adding balancing components...or is that something else completely?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do we know why Waluigi was not made playable besides "Trying hard enough doesn't mean you will make it in Smash Bros"?
I imagine the same issue as Toad. Nothing unique enough about him to make him stand out.

Or he didn't think he was a good enough choice. Let's be fair, Rosalina is super loved. Waluigi has a lot of haters. Since the Mario franchise is full of characters, he can skip anyone for another without issues. He can't do that to add a series like Duck Hunt into the game. But he also combined the dog with the ducks and Wild Gunmen, meaning even if you hate the dog, the other ones exist as their full playable character. So it's less of a "easy hate". I imagine hatred is why Tingle, despite having his own series now, never was playable.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49048871/smashtextures.txt Here's the texture list. I'll find the regular character files when a full list is out. Ridley is not on here. So the idea we didn't find a Ridley trophy is... not strange now, is it?

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman

lololol

Hokay. Let's do the rundown then on just who might still have a chance then. This'll be fun, we'll do this from the 'proof they're DOA' angle to make **** easy.

IC: Technical limitations kill them outright. Doesn't matter what Wii U does, they're scrapped for good. GG no re
Snake: Licensing issues kill him, he won't be on either. Specials arguably cannibalized by Sheik/MM.
Ridley: Already a boss on Wii U, can't be playable because it'd be confusing on Pyrosphere.
Lucas: Specials cannibalized by Ness.
Wolf: Specials cannibalized by Fox.

lololol What about folk who rode through Brawl having mained Mewtwo in Melee? Or folk who used Pichu? Or Roy(non-Koopa)? Eventually a roster grows too large and you've gotta make cuts. Otherwise there'd be no newcomers at all after a point. Cool game!

Again, Sakurai said that both rosters will remain identical. This makes sense from every standpoint you look at it from unless you're just grasping at straws to keep dumb hope for whatever character you want alive. You know Smash is more than just its roster, right? SmashU will have HD, GCN controller compatibility, better and more stable online, unique modes of its own, perhaps something involving the GamePad(unknown given that Sakurai seems hellbent on avoiding the use of the touchscreen on the 3DS, and the WUGP may share its fate). All of those will likely push it out the door a lot without the need for new characters. After all, FFX moved off of shelves and all it had was a literal HD reskin and X-2 included. Same deal with TTT2, just a reskin and some new costumes. No new characters.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
I could not believe that they would add a well hated character such as DH Dog. Then I saw how he acted relaxed and cute when idle along with cooperation with the ducks and gunmen as you said. I thought they would get a ear chewing for him by the fan base, but it seems he has a supportive fandom. I would like to play as him now.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I could not believe that they would add a well hated character such as DH Dog. Then I saw how he acted relaxed and cute when idle along with cooperation with the ducks and gunmen as you said. I thought they would get a ear chewing for him by the fan base, but it seems he has a supportive fandom. I would like to play as him now.
The Duck and Wild Gunmen are there too. All of 'em exist. That makes it a bit different when you play as 3-7 unique characters.

He's 100% referring to as Duck Hunt for that reason alone. As much as people try to say it, you aren't just playing as the dog. But yeah, there's no question he's hated.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I imagine the same issue as Toad. Nothing unique enough about him to make him stand out.

Or he didn't think he was a good enough choice. Let's be fair, Rosalina is super loved. Waluigi has a lot of haters. Since the Mario franchise is full of characters, he can skip anyone for another without issues. He can't do that to add a series like Duck Hunt into the game. But he also combined the dog with the ducks and Wild Gunmen, meaning even if you hate the dog, the other ones exist as their full playable character. So it's less of a "easy hate". I imagine hatred is why Tingle, despite having his own series now, never was playable.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49048871/smashtextures.txt Here's the texture list. I'll find the regular character files when a full list is out. Ridley is not on here. So the idea we didn't find a Ridley trophy is... not strange now, is it?
I don't think whether or not a character is loved matters. I mean, Dr. Mario, in the Smash universe, was one of the most despised additions to the game of all time, yet he made it twice. The Duck Hunt solution really wasn't a good one either when you consider, the ducks you had no connection with other than as a target, the dog himself was widely unpopular before being placed into the game, and the Wild Gunmen... I appreciate a reference like that, but the target audience of this game really has no idea what that is.

Anyway, there's been weirder trophy omissions in the game before. It didn't necessarily indicate that he was playable.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Well we do know now that Ice Climbers were planned for the 3DS but we're cut due to difficulty. This pretty much makes the data files irrelevant as we know they were tested for 3DS so they are clearly more thorough with data deletion this time. There's still no evidence that this means Mewtwo, Ridley and others were cut or considered in the first place.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
:4marth::4lucina:

lolololol
What he did forget is that Ness got his A moves changed up a little to include Lucas-style buffs(aerials were mentioned, but I don't have a full list of it. I hope somebody analyzes it properly soon). Meaning he made Lucas redundant. This is why some are okay with an Alt and reskinned moves. Or him being a semi-clone again. Either, or. Fox still seems to not have any Wolf moves besides the Specials, so he could come back as himself without changes(besides making him balanced anyway) easily.

I don't think whether or not a character is loved matters. I mean, Dr. Mario, in the Smash universe, was one of the most despised additions to the game of all time, yet he made it twice. The Duck Hunt solution really wasn't a good one either when you consider, the ducks you had no connection with other than as a target, the dog himself was widely unpopular before being placed into the game, and the Wild Gunmen... I appreciate a reference like that, but the target audience of this game really has no idea what that is.

Anyway, there's been weirder trophy omissions in the game before. It didn't necessarily indicate that he was playable.
If a character is severely hated in one region or another, it may mean that making them playable could have backlash. Tingle is hated in the West by loved in the East. Opposite for Waluigi. He did mention before he chooses characters based upon "people would like to play with", so it is taken into account a bit.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
As far as characters I think we can count out for good for this game, Ice Climbers and Snake are the two I do not expect to return for this game under any circumstances. I do not think Sakurai will want characters exclusive to one version (and I think it just was impossible to put the IC in the 3DS version) so that puts Ice Climbers out for this session. And with Snake... I'd prefer him over Sonic but there's so much going on with his character right now outside of Smash (new VA, new look, etc), I doubt they'd sort it out to put him back in the game this time.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
What he did forget is that Ness got his A moves changed up a little to include Lucas-style buffs(aerials were mentioned, but I don't have a full list of it. I hope somebody analyzes it properly soon). Meaning he made Lucas redundant. This is why some are okay with an Alt and reskinned moves. Or him being a semi-clone again. Either, or. Fox still seems to not have any Wolf moves besides the Specials, so he could come back as himself without changes(besides making him balanced anyway) easily.

If a character is severely hated in one region or another, it may mean that making them playable could have backlash. Tingle is hated in the West by loved in the East. Opposite for Waluigi. He did mention before he chooses characters based upon "people would like to play with", so it is taken into account a bit.
I don't really think he cares too much about that. He's mentioned that he looks for characters that can offer something other characters cannot as being most important in his decision. It's a common misconception on message boards to think that Sakurai is carefully monitoring and registering our wants and needs. And then Dr. Mario makes it back into the game, and Duck Hunt (a character only joked about) makes it in and you realize, this is all largely irrelevant to what Sakurai picks and chooses. If anything I think he might see our hatred as a challenge, to see if he can turn us around.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't really think he cares too much about that. He's mentioned that he looks for characters that can offer something other characters cannot as being most important in his decision. It's a common misconception on message boards to think that Sakurai is carefully monitoring and registering our wants and needs. And then Dr. Mario makes it back into the game, and Duck Hunt (a character only joked about) makes it in and you realize, this is all largely irrelevant to what Sakurai picks and chooses. If anything I think he might see our hatred as a challenge, to see if he can turn us around.
No, he did actually say "Characters people want to play". Hatred has a bearing on 'em. I don't think to a high degree, though.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman

That's what I'm getting at though. Maybe those files don't exist on the 3DS yet because they don't get added until you link it with the Wii U? For example. You go and start up the Wii U and 3DS version link. The screen may pop up and tell you something like "Transferring/Installing data, please wait X amount of time." In this hypothetical situation instead of downloading this "update/patch/whatever" that includes the supposed extra characters, it'd be like the system was downloading all the needed data from the Wii U instead of the internet.

Now whether this happens or not is anyones guess. I'm trying to keep my hopes in check, but keeping a few characters under wraps until the Wii U release to build up hype makes a lot of sense to me. I really hope it's true because then we'd still have surprises left. Plus if there were no other characters they could have just made the 3DS screen a 6x8 grid and fill it in completely. Then made Miis selectable from the touchpad for easy customization selection, and make random a button or touch screen option.

At least we won't have to wait too long to find out. I may not agree that IC should be left out of the Wii U version Falcon, but you seem like an ok guy and I like that you're keeping your hopes up for surprises still. No hard feelings if I ever came off harsh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom