• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TheBlackHombre: Smash Arcade Stick Demonstration

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Some choose to use Wii Remotes, others prefer the classic Gamecube Controller. There are fans of the Wii U Pro controller, the Wii U GamePad, and even those who like the control of the 3DS. While Smash is a fighting game unlike most fighters there number of players using arcade sticks due to their lack of analog sticks and very different control scheme.

This wasn't the case for one Smash fan: @ TheBlackHombre TheBlackHombre . Wanting to play Smash but still use his controller of choice he went to create a stick himself that could be used to play Smash. Showing what can be done with Ryu he explains a bit how the stick works and uses it in a real match. Give it a watch!

More videos will be on the way to discuss this arcade stick so be sure to subscribe to TheBlackHombre on Youtube. Like the idea of playing Smash on an arcade stick? Let us know in the comments below!

SmashCapps thinks it would be awesome to try out Smash on an arcade stick! To talk preferred controllers be sure to go chat with him on Twitter.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Beautiful. It makes me wonder how easy it would make multishining.

Last edited:

sssb

Smash Rookie
That's a pretty ingenious controller now that ryu is in smash 4.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
that looks extremely awkward to play, and I know how to play fighting games with stick.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I actually do this with my fightstick on Dolphin, but with a slightly different setup, as I use a MadCatz stick (the WWE All Stars one, specifically). I'm more familiar with Persona 4 Arena, which is a 4-button game, so my setup is based more on that, but I had some similar ideas for my setup. The general gist of it is:
  • A, B, and X are mapped to their respective counterparts on the fightstick (Far left on bottom row, second from left on bottom row, and far left on top row, respectively)
  • Z is mapped to the Y button (Second from left on top row)
  • R and L are mapped to RB and LB (Second from right on bottom and top rows, respectively)
  • Soft-press for R and L are mapped to RT and LT (far right on bottom and top rows, respectively)
  • I use a shift button like Xbox Hombre's fightstick does, but I use the Xbox Guide button for that
  • I have a switch for alternating between control stick, D-Pad, and C-Stick
However, I might re-map things with his setup taken into account (though keeping Xbox Guide for my shift), as I have found the fightstick to be pretty precise. I might look into an analog joystick for ease of use, though.

I also had a similar idea for a custom Smash fightstick similar to his, but with an analog C-stick and an analog button (or maybe lever) for either L or R.

Edit: I found a good one here, but it costs more than my fightstick did ($60 vs. the $50 that I paid for mine)

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Oh, I bet it is allowed.
No it wouldnt be, Fight sticks are easily moddable and it wouldnt be immediately obvious without actually testing the stick (seeing if their are hidden button combos that activate things, no turbo buttons, ect) where as it's generally immediately apparent if a GC controller has been modded for something barring button remapping (but that really only matters in melee.)

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Very cool! I'll have to keep a look out for him at weeklies, hopefully, I'd love to try out the controller fightstick!

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
He could have saved himself a lot of work if he replaced the JLF with an LS-64

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
No it wouldnt be, Fight sticks are easily moddable and it wouldnt be immediately obvious without actually testing the stick (seeing if their are hidden button combos that activate things, no turbo buttons, ect) where as it's generally immediately apparent if a GC controller has been modded for something barring button remapping (but that really only matters in melee.)
Yeah, that sounds right, but do tournament enforce this?

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
You don't even now wtf you're saying lmao.
There are tournaments that use sticks in case you live under a rock or something. Most people who play street fighter at a tournament level use them how would regulating be any different there than it is here? Herp derp.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Although I prefer my good ol' GC Controller, that's a great Arcade Stick. It would be pretty cool if Namco released a alternative version of their Tekken AS with a Smash skin and buttons.

TheBlackHombre

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBlackHombre
I actually do this with my fightstick on Dolphin, but with a slightly different setup, as I use a MadCatz stick (the WWE All Stars one, specifically). I'm more familiar with Persona 4 Arena, which is a 4-button game, so my setup is based more on that, but I had some similar ideas for my setup. The general gist of it is:
  • A, B, and X are mapped to their respective counterparts on the fightstick (Far left on bottom row, second from left on bottom row, and far left on top row, respectively)
  • Z is mapped to the Y button (Second from left on top row)
  • R and L are mapped to RB and LB (Second from right on bottom and top rows, respectively)
  • Soft-press for R and L are mapped to RT and LT (far right on bottom and top rows, respectively)
  • I use a shift button like Xbox Hombre's fightstick does, but I use the Xbox Guide button for that
  • I have a switch for alternating between control stick, D-Pad, and C-Stick
However, I might re-map things with his setup taken into account (though keeping Xbox Guide for my shift), as I have found the fightstick to be pretty precise. I might look into an analog joystick for ease of use, though.

I also had a similar idea for a custom Smash fightstick similar to his, but with an analog C-stick and an analog button (or maybe lever) for either L or R.

Edit: I found a good one here, but it costs more than my fightstick did ($60 vs. the $50 that I paid for mine)
I actually have a second (optional) button layout I came up with. It will work similar to your current layout but it's extremely optimized for tech skill. My second video will demonstrate my current layout but will also mention my second layout if you'd like to use it.

Very cool! I'll have to keep a look out for him at weeklies, hopefully, I'd love to try out the controller fightstick!
I live in CFL but since I work so late on weekdays I wouldn't have time to come out to the weekles. I plan to go out to a tournament there in 1-2 weeks, I believe it's the same venue that the UCF weeklies are at. I do plan to go to #SmashTheRecord though :)

Beautiful. It makes me wonder how easy it would make multishining.
It makes multishining a joke.

Not to be mean, but this doesn't make much sense since you could easily mod a GC controller as well.
The smash stick is essentially a re-wired GC controller, the only mod that was done was adding an extra circuit that allows me to use a shift button. The only function it does is change the % of the joystick, so there's nothing game changing about it. My second smash stick (analog version) has no mods, it is just a raw rewired gamecube controller. I'll be making a video soon that shows the insides of the arcade stick as well as talk about how it works.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You don't even now wtf you're saying lmao.
There are tournaments that use sticks in case you live under a rock or something. Most people who play street fighter at a tournament level use them how would regulating be any different there than it is here? Herp derp.
In Smash tournaments.

I actually have a second (optional) button layout I came up with. It will work similar to your current layout but it's extremely optimized for tech skill. My second video will demonstrate my current layout but will also mention my second layout if you'd like to use it.

I live in CFL but since I work so late on weekdays I wouldn't have time to come out to the weekles. I plan to go out to a tournament there in 1-2 weeks, I believe it's the same venue that the UCF weeklies are at. I do plan to go to #SmashTheRecord though :)

It makes multishining a joke.

Not to be mean, but this doesn't make much sense since you could easily mod a GC controller as well.
The smash stick is essentially a re-wired GC controller, the only mod that was done was adding an extra circuit that allows me to use a shift button. The only function it does is change the % of the joystick, so there's nothing game changing about it. My second smash stick (analog version) has no mods, it is just a raw rewired gamecube controller. I'll be making a video soon that shows the insides of the arcade stick as well as talk about how it works.
All controller mods are banned as they might give unfair advantages (other than removing trigger springs).

The problem is that there isint an easy way to prove that these fightsticks arent modded in some way. Sure you can take it apart and show them the gc pcb inside it, but there's still the fact that you can set up macros and other things with a fight stick and have it be way less noticeable compared to setting one up on a GC controller, through button comboes and such

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The only problem I see with this is in the shift button. It allows a user to bypass the skill needed to finesse the control stick and sets the throw at a given value instead. I think that's a factor of control/skill that's unique to smash and could give someone an unfair advantage if removed.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I would love an arcade style controller to Smash with, considering I played other fighting games with an arcade pad like this one:

There's the issue of adapting and all, but it would be nice imo.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
In Smash tournaments.

All controller mods are banned as they might give unfair advantages (other than removing trigger springs).

The problem is that there isint an easy way to prove that these fightsticks arent modded in some way. Sure you can take it apart and show them the gc pcb inside it, but there's still the fact that you can set up macros and other things with a fight stick and have it be way less noticeable compared to setting one up on a GC controller, through button comboes and such
Its called a button check which is allowed before and during tournaments.
Like I said how would regulating be any different in a street fighter tournament than it is in a smash tournament?
I'm not aware of a controller that can just change its functionality by pressing a button combination. That sounds way to far fetched to me. The button is either a macro or its not. Turbo is either on or off. Its not hard to tell if a controller has some kind of game performance modification.

Personally I don't think its practical, find a way to have soft inputs on the stick or not at all.
Nintendo has a inconsistent line of controllers that are purposely made to be "Unique" rather than conventional. There is something awkward about all of them so its not hard to imagine why people are trying to find something conventional for them. Especially when you add a character that utilizes movement you use on a different controller that it was originally designed for.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I would still stick to the GC controller..

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Too bad this wouldnt ever be allowed at any tournaments
lol why wouldn't it be? I'm sure it has a GCN cord. It'd be more ideal than a procontroller.

Anyway this is really interesting, and I hope we can see more of these so that traditional fighting game guys could get into smash. That'd be incredibly cool!

Last edited:
Top Bottom