• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Worst Customs for Each Character

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
I am forgetful of what customs each character has. But from what I remember, Wario might have one of the worst custom moves in the game. I believe it's Garlic Breath

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I am forgetful of what customs each character has. But from what I remember, Wario might have one of the worst custom moves in the game. I believe it's Garlic Breath
Garlic Breath is an extremely situational move. There are worst custom moves in the game, but expect that move to be brought up soon.

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
Garlic Breath is an extremely situational move. There are worst custom moves in the game, but expect that move to be brought up soon.
That's the only positive i'll give it. It can be entirely situational. But I just don't see a point to it when his chomp is available. Sure it can break shields when very close, but it has a slow start up and end to the move, so it is quite easy to avoid and punish

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
IMO Ness PK Freeze
Ness's PK Freeze is actually beneficial to him. It does more damage than Lucas's PK Freeze, it's easier to control, and the projectile moves faster (quoting from NINTENDO Galaxy). Expect the other move, Rising PK Flash, to be mentioned somewhere.

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it... One of the worst ones could also the Koopa Meteor. Very situational and deadly when used right, but every time you may need to recover, you'll be sent straight to your death. So basically if you do not have the advantage with this move, you'll be instantly KO'd when wanting to recover.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll mention a couple of bad custom special moves when left unedited.

:rosalina:
  1. Catch & Release: You're basically sacrificing the ability to counter most projectiles with an attack that doesn't deal much knockback to opponents. A highly impractical move as a whole.
:4wario:
  1. Garlic Breath: Long start-up period, and only delivers a single hit. It's also extremely easy to see coming, and the breath can even be blocked.
  2. Burying Bike: Although the bike has greater durability, it's also much slower and heavier, which really hurts Wario's recovery options. And to add insult to injury, because the bike is so slow, fighters can easily block the attack and grab Wario.
:4ganondorf:
  1. Warlock Thrust: Although it's the quickest Warlock Punch variant, Warlock Thrust has no super armor duration, and the sweetspot has very low KBG, despite the high BKB. In fact, the attack's low KBG also means that Warlock Thrust KOs later than even Ganondorf's weakest standard attacks. Literally has no advantages, especially once you take into account the increased ending lag that comes after the hitboxes are terminated.
  2. Dark Vault: This attack is just sad. It's even worse than Dark Dive with its poor damage output, and it doesn't start KOing until a fighter's current damage goes well beyond realistic damage percentages. In terms of recovery, sacrificing horizontal movement for increased vertical height would've been a pro if there truly was a notable vertical travel height difference between Dark Dive and Dark Vault.
  3. Wizard's Assault: This attack suffers from an increased start-up duration, deals less damage than Wizard's Foot, and sends fighters flying behind Ganondorf. And when used in the air, Ganondorf drops straight down, making it useless for recovery purposes. Having no armor to compensate for the increased start-up is a big no-no, and as such, this attack really has no advantages over the other Wizard's Foot variants.
:4duckhunt:
  1. Mega Gunman: Although the gunmen have more HP, they take longer to attack. And sadly, their shots deal less damage than that of the default Wild Gunman. As a result, this attack's offensive properties are basically non-existent, and using the gunmen for defense is pretty much pointless against direct attackers. Sure, you can use the gunmen to block projectile attacks, but that doesn't exactly help Duck Hunt's offense in any way.
:4dedede:
  1. Armored Jet Hammer: Although Dedede receives super armor while using this attack, it suffers from increased start-up lag, increased ending lag, and it deals less damage overall than Jet Hammer. In fact, a fully charged Armored Jet Hammer KOs later than Jet Hammer's weaker charges, making its usage even more impractical.
:4jigglypuff:
  1. Spinphony: Very long duration, and deals very little damage that has absolutely no reward. What were the developers thinking with this move?!

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
  1. Mega Gunman: Although the gunmen have more HP, they take longer to attack. And sadly, their shots deal less damage than that of the default Wild Gunman. As a result, this attack's offensive properties are basically non-existent, and using the gunmen for defense is pretty much pointless against direct attackers. Sure, you can use the gunmen to block projectile attacks, but that doesn't exactly help Duck Hunt's offense in any way.
The move is actually a viable alternative, as it's improved defense and larger hitbox grant them a way to ward off pressure.

1. Garlic Breath: Long start-up period, and only delivers a single hit. It's also extremely easy to see coming, and the breath can even be blocked.
  2. Burying Bike: Although the bike has greater durability, it's also much slower and heavier, which really hurts Wario's recovery options. And to add insult to injury, because the bike is so slow, fighters can easily block the attack and grab Wario.
Garlic Breath is bad, although Burying Bike's improved durability can act as an improved shield against enemy projectiles, helping to alleviate Wario's range problems. The move harms Wario's recovery, but not by much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The move is actually a viable alternative, as it's improved defense and larger hitbox grant them a way to ward off pressure.
I probably should've mentioned that because the gunmen take a much longer time to attack, opponents have a pretty good amount of time to get out of their attack range if Duck Hunt doesn't get in their way. I will say though, that Mega Gunman could've been more viable on offense if the shots actually packed a greater punch to compensate for the increased start-up lag.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I probably should've mentioned that because the gunmen take a much longer time to attack, opponents have a pretty good amount of time to get out of their attack range if Duck Hunt doesn't get in their way. I will say though, that Mega Gunman could've been more viable on offense if the shots actually packed a greater punch to compensate for the increased start-up lag.
The point of the move is to sacrifice offense for better defense. It is a viable alternative, but that doesn't mean it is directly superior to the default. If you prefer gunmans with a more offensive style, then Quick Draw Aces (or the default) is the custom for you.

I am currently working on the first row as we speak (type?).

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The point of the move is to sacrifice offense for better defense. It is a viable alternative, but that doesn't mean it is directly superior to the default. If you prefer gunmans with a more offensive style, then Quick Draw Aces (or the default) is the custom for you.
The other Wild Gunman variants don't exactly have much KO potential though. One of my own moveset edits does fix that issue for Wild Gunman and Quick Draw Aces, but even then, most of the gunmen still wouldn't be able to KO Mario until his current damage goes over 200%; only the leader and sombrero gunman could KO Mario under 200% damage, and only the sombrero gunman could KO Mario under 150% damage.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692

:rosalina:
  1. Catch & Release: You're basically sacrificing the ability to counter most projectiles with an attack that doesn't deal much knockback to opponents. A highly impractical move as a whole.
:4ganondorf:
  1. Warlock Thrust: Although it's the quickest Warlock Punch variant, Warlock Thrust has no super armor duration, and the sweetspot has very low KBG, despite the high BKB. In fact, the attack's low KBG also means that Warlock Thrust KOs later than even Ganondorf's weakest standard attacks. Literally has no advantages, especially once you take into account the increased ending lag that comes after the hitboxes are terminated.
  2. Dark Vault: This attack is just sad. It's even worse than Dark Dive with its poor damage output, and it doesn't start KOing until a fighter's current damage goes well beyond realistic damage percentages. In terms of recovery, sacrificing horizontal movement for increased vertical height would've been a pro if there truly was a notable vertical travel height difference between Dark Dive and Dark Vault.
  3. Wizard's Assault: This attack suffers from an increased start-up duration, deals less damage than Wizard's Foot, and sends fighters flying behind Ganondorf. And when used in the air, Ganondorf drops straight down, making it useless for recovery purposes. Having no armor to compensate for the increased start-up is a big no-no, and as such, this attack really has no advantages over the other Wizard's Foot variants.
:4dedede:
  1. Armored Jet Hammer: Although Dedede receives super armor while using this attack, it suffers from increased start-up lag, increased ending lag, and it deals less damage overall than Jet Hammer. In fact, a fully charged Armored Jet Hammer KOs later than Jet Hammer's weaker charges, making its usage even more impractical.
:4jigglypuff:
  1. Spinphony: Very long duration, and deals very little damage that has absolutely no reward. What were the developers thinking with this move?!
Would just like to add something about Flame Chain.
Even though it's not as bad as those it's still completely useless and should never be used vs anyone, losing your one good option vs shield to get a move that barely even ****ing works is laughable.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
inb4 Shadow Strike and Single Shot Pump get mentioned, even tough almost every single custom in Greninja's set can and should be mentioned.

Shifting Shuriken is essentially the only straight up good custom, even tough the lowered range sucks, and you loose the ledge trapping potential.

Stagnant Shuriken is the reverse, you get a better ledge trap and loose everything else. It is SAID to be useable, but I digress.

High Capacity Pump can be best described as a way to teach new players how to properly aim Hydro Pump without having to slow down the game in training mode.

Shadow Dash is faster, a little less punishable and... that's it. You loose a combo breaker, a kill move, a mindgame tool, and the recovery gets worsened. Take your poison. The only real great thing is that it is significantly less susceptible at failing to work on laggy connections as there is no charge to be held.

Explosion can be used, it's just as reactable as the stantard and removes the recovery, edgeguarding and combo potential, but at least it will better protect Greninja from multi-hit moves and lingering hitboxes and will KO more consistently. It is also completely worthless when playing against CPUs, so don't use it on Classic Mode please.

Substitute Ambush at least can break the shield of anyone clueless enough to shield instead of just moving away or intercepting it on reaction (or worse, counter-countering it on reaction to show this foolish Greninja player how counters are supposed to work).

Of course, the stantard Substitute is already bad, so regardless of choice, it will remain a filler move for styling purposes only. Shadow Sneak is a better counter anyway. Sad that my favourite move in the Pokemon games is by far the worst move in all of Greninja's arsenal... oh wait.

And the two nastiest pieces of hardware:
Shadow Strike takes every single thing of Shadow Sneak that makes is a situational risky move and worsens it, to the point it can be intercepted with a charged smash attack on reaction and the startup also makes it much harder to use as a way to dodge attacks to use it as a combo breaker or a counter, especially against projectiles. Do I need to say more?

Single Shot Pump single-handedly turns Greninja's recovery, gimping and edgeguarding game from great to awfull as it becomes a great big "hey, I'll be hovering right there on this position for about a second and then go straight up with no hitbox, SPIKE ME!" sign. The potential to jank people out of the ledge or out of the screen with the windbox is completely erased. It also makes for the worst Out-Of-Shield Up B option in the entire game.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Would just like to add something about Flame Chain.
Even though it's not as bad as those it's still completely useless and should never be used vs anyone, losing your one good option vs shield to get a move that barely even ****ing works is laughable.
It probably doesn't help knowing that the Autolink hitbox's KBG isn't strong enough to make a normal-sized Bowser flinch. Anyway, Flame Chain does cover a greater distance than the other Flame Choke variants, but since using that attack in the air leaves Ganondorf helpless, it doesn't exactly help Ganondorf in the recovery department.

I'll also mention that despite lacking a grab hitbox, Flame Chain's looping hitbox does make it rather tricky for most opponents to punish that attack. Having a Counter move is one option, but trying to shield-grab Ganondorf wouldn't work without proper timing, as the looping hitboxes will punish those who release their shields too early.

If you're wondering why I never mentioned Flame Chain, it's basically because despite having no grab hitbox, the looping hitboxes at least makes the attack safer to use than if it only dealt a single hit. Sure, the Autolink's knockback could've been stronger, but in the end, most fighters don't have Bowser's tough guy traits.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Zard has customs that just downright don't work, here are a few.
Fly High: The move doesn't do any damage at all and the extra height is suddenly added at the end of the move and is nearly impossible to control.
Rising Cyclone: Hey let's gut fly's height even FURTHER! I'm sure it won't cause zard to SD constantly! (sarcasm)
Fireball cannon: Too much commitment. You're firing three fireballs before Zard can stop, and it takes a WHILE before he fires all three not to mention the fireballs are very far apart. Easy to dodge and counter.
Sinking Skull: No super armor and the range is gutted, not to mention the lingering hitboxes which make Rock Smash so useful are removed. I don't recommend this.
Rock Fling: One thing that makes Rock Smash surprisingly useful is that early on anyone can get caught in both the headbutt from breaking the rock than the hitboxes from the broken rock for good damage, rock fling eliminates this in favor of increased range, again not recommended.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Well Rock Fling has better super armor frames, so it can work against characters with extensive combo games as a combo breaker. On Fly, see my response to your "best customs" for details.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
The Mii Brawler Side-B that has the awful spike hitbox and it's only real use is to snap to ledge.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Row 1 of the Worst Custom Moves are here. They are obviously going to have more backlash than the best custom moves, but it will just make this thread more exciting.

:4mario:: Super Jump
Mario's custom moves define the fundamentals of customization, with all of them following an "X over Y" pattern. As a result, none of his customs are directly inferior or superior to his default moveset. Super Punch goes almost twice as high as Super Jump Punch, but it lacks any hitboxes, making it easier to intercept and it cannot be used offensively (except for some situational mindgames). However, it is not a bad move, as Mario's customs are balanced.
:4luigi::4drmario:: Clothesline Cyclone / Clothesline Tornado
Despite the slightly altered name of the move, and there are being two different characters, they share the same custom move and it is not good at all. It boasts impressive power, yet hinders their recovery, has a shorter duration, and has slower start-up lag. The strongest point of the move is hard to land as well. The issues of this move is more apparent with Luigi (especially with a much superior default move).
:4peach:: Heavy Veggie
This move, although it has greater power, takes a longer time to pluck and it goes a much less distance, which almost removes her veggie's zoning game. Even Little Mac's f-smash outranges it. This move is not good at all except for maybe some edgeguard situations, although her moveset is already beastly at edgeguarding.
:4bowser:: Fire Roar, Flying Fortress
While Bowser significantly benefits from customs, he has mediocre moves as well. Fire Roar fires a bigger stream of fire, although it wears out quickly and takes longer recharge, which harms Bowser's edgeguarding tools. While Bowser does like the extra distance Flying Fortress provides, it provides no hitbox. This issue is much larger with Bowser's no-hitbox-up B-variation than Mario's, as not only because Bowser's hurtbox is much larger, but it can no longer be used as an OOS option, which harms his already poor defensive game. His down B variations are overall situational as well.
:4yoshi:: Timed Egg Throw
Yoshi's customs in general, aid him the long run. Timed Egg Throw harms it's zoning ability due to being harmless until the end of the move, while it slightly harms his recovery. It is effective if used correctly, but it is overall a situation move, especially since it's other two up B variations grant him better benefits (zoning and recovery, respectively).
:rosalina:: Catch & Release
Although Rosalina gains great benefits from her customs, some of her customs are situational. Both her default variations deals damage both deal damage, but at the severe cost of Gravitational Pull's versatility. While Guardian Luma has some utility has a shield from projectiles (and a potential viable alternative), Catch & Release's doesn't deal much knockback to the oppenents while removing a way to deal with projectiles, making the move largely inferior to her other two down B variations.
:4bowserjr:: Grounding Dash
Bowser Jr. has generally mediocre customs, although none of them are truly terrible. After an increased delay in startup, the kart travels faster and buries anyone who comes in contact on the ground, doing 8% damage. It doesn't do damage in the air, nor is there any damage on the spin out, which instead has a push effect. Bowser Jr. has super armor during the move. However, it's distance is pitiful, so it harms his recovery further despite the armor and speed. You are usually better off with his default side B, which is an amazing move by itself.
:4wario:: Garlic Breath
Wario's customs grant him nice benefits, and has the distinction of being customizable to fit the player's preference. However, one of them is simply inferior to the original move. Garlic Breath is simply a worst version of Mewtwo's Disable. It has a large amount of startup and the breath doesn't cover much range. Giving up Wario's versatile command grab for a move that is extremely situational is very infeasible.
:4dk:: Chopper Kong
DK generally doesn't have bad customs. This one, however, is alright at best. The move has drastically improved vertical distance and ascends much faster. However it comes at the cost of no hitboxes, being unable to use any grounded version, and reduced horizontal distance. Like Bowser's Flying Fortress, DK's large hurtbox makes it not to hard to intercept, but unlike Flying Fortress, Bowser is in more need of a grounded version of up B and Chopper Kong has better speed. It is not too bad a custom move, but Kong Cyclone exists, so choose that one instead.
:4diddy:: Exploding Popgun
He only two customs that really benefit him (as explained in the best custom moves article). The rest of his custom moves have disadvantages that noticeably outweigh their advantages, with Exploding Popgun being particularly notorious. He doesn't fire peanuts, but the move's sole purpose is exploding. Despite the reduced charge time, it takes a little while for it to be fully charged, the precharge states are almost useless, and the actual explosion doesn't cover much range. These cons, while removing one of Diddy's ledge covering projectiles, makes it not worth using at all in competitive play.
:4gaw:: Extreme Judge
His custom moves overall grant him benefits. however, while Extreme Judge is not terrible, but it very situational, especially in comparison to normal judge and especially Chain Judge. The move only chooses numbers 1 and 9, though with less extreme effects for each. Getting a slightly nerfed nine is easier, but repeatedly getting ones rack up damage on Game and Watch himself, while getting a nine is less worth it. It also has the distinction of losing all the benefits of the 2-8 judges due to them being nonexistent.
:4littlemac:: Guard Breaker, Rising Smash
Mac's customs are generally balanced, so these two are picked on due to it's comparisons to his other customs moves, similar to Mario. Deals more damage, grants super armor, and is unblockable. However, it travels slower, cannot be used instantly upon pressing the special button, and does not cover any distance if used immediately out of hitstun. In other words, it is easier to gimp Mac. Rising Smash KO's stupid early, however it comes with a marginally nerfed recovery distance, and since it only consists of two hits, it could sometimes be difficult to connect those hits. It has more ending lag. Despite this, those two moves can be considered into Mac's kit.

Row two coming soon.

Last edited:

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
Despite the slightly altered name of the move, and there are being two different characters, they share the same custom move and it is not good at all. It boasts impressive power, yet hinders their recovery, has a shorter duration, and has slower start-up lag. The strongest point of the move is hard to land as well. The issues of this move is more apparent with Luigi (especially with a much superior default move).
Whenever I play Dr. Mario, I really don't see how his down B helps recover in the first place. I see no problem with this move except how it has a slow ending lag. Dr. Mario does not have that good of a recovery anyways.

Whenever I play Dr. Mario, I really don't see how his down B helps recover in the first place. I see no problem with this move except how it has a slow ending lag. Dr. Mario does not have that good of a recovery with down B anyways.
Editing mistakes were made

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Whenever I play Dr. Mario, I really don't see how his down B helps recover in the first place. I see no problem with this move except how it has a slow ending lag. Dr. Mario does not have that good of a recovery anyways.
There is an edit button in the bottom left corner of your posted comments.

In relative to his other customs, it is not good at all, especially since Soaring Tornado exists.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I actually find that Koopa Drift is a safer attack to use than Clown Kart Dash. The looping hits mean that opponents can't punish the attack as easily as with Clown Kart Dash, and it gives Bowser Jr. another recovery option.

Also, Koopa Drift can be used alongside Koopa Meteor, as the former's horizontal travel distance makes up for the latter's lack of horizontal movement. The main downside with Koopa Drift is its reduced KO potential, but sometimes, gaining the ability to deliver multiple hits is worth it if it means trying to find ways to avoid getting shield-grabbed.

If anything, I'd probably stay clear from Grounding Dash, as it doesn't damage anyone in the air, the spinout can't damage anyone, and it doesn't travel as far as the other Clown Kart Dash variants. It also has much less recovery potential.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I actually find that Koopa Drift is a safer attack to use than Clown Kart Dash. The looping hits mean that opponents can't punish the attack as easily as with Clown Kart Dash, and it gives Bowser Jr. another recovery option.

Also, Koopa Drift can be used alongside Koopa Meteor, as the former's horizontal travel distance makes up for the latter's lack of horizontal movement. The main downside with Koopa Drift is its reduced KO potential, but sometimes, gaining the ability to deliver multiple hits is worth it if it means trying to find ways to avoid getting shield-grabbed.

If anything, I'd probably stay clear from Grounding Dash, as it doesn't damage anyone in the air, the spinout can't damage anyone, and it doesn't travel as far as the other Clown Kart Dash variants. It also has much less recovery potential.
I thought Koopa Drift covered the least distance. Whoops. I will gladly change it.

After testing it myself, the distance in Grounding Dash is actually pitiful. lol

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Mario's custom moves define the fundamentals of customization, with all of them following an "X over Y" pattern. As a result, none of his customs are directly inferior or superior to his default moveset. Super Punch goes almost twice as high as Super Jump Punch, but it lacks any hitboxes, making it easier to intercept and it cannot be used offensively (except for some situational mindgames). However, it is not a bad move, as Mario's customs are balanced.
This move, although it has greater power, takes a longer time to pluck and it goes a much less distance, which almost removes her veggie's zoning game. Even Little Mac's f-smash outranges it. This move is not good at all except for maybe some edgeguard situations, although her moveset is already beastly at edgeguarding.
While Bowser significantly benefits from customs, he has mediocre moves as well. Fire Roar fires a bigger stream of fire, although it wears out quickly and takes longer recharge, which harms Bowser's edgeguarding tools. While Bowser does like the extra distance Flying Fortress provides, it provides no hitbox. This issue is much larger with Bowser's no-hitbox-up B-variation than Mario's, as not only because Bowser's hurtbox is much larger, but it can no longer be used as an OOS option, which harms his already poor defensive game. His down B variations are overall situational as well.
Yoshi's customs in general, aid him the long run. Timed Egg Throw harms it's zoning ability due to being harmless until the end of the move, while it slightly harms his recovery. It is effective if used correctly, but it is overall a situation move, especially since it's other two up B variations grant him better benefits (zoning and recovery, respectively).
Although Rosalina gains great benefits from her customs, some of her customs are situational. Both her default variations deals damage both deal damage, but at the severe cost of Gravitational Pull's versatility. While Guardian Luma has some utility has a shield from projectiles (and a potential viable alternative), Catch & Release's doesn't deal much knockback to the oppenents while removing a way to deal with projectiles, making the move largely inferior to her other two down B variations.
Bowser Jr. has generally mediocre customs, although none of them are truly terrible. After an increased delay in startup, the kart travels faster and buries anyone who comes in contact on the ground, doing 8% damage. It doesn't do damage in the air, nor is there any damage on the spin out, which instead has a push effect. Bowser Jr. has super armor during the move. However, it's distance is pitiful, so it harms his recovery further despite the armor and speed. You are usually better off with his default side B, which is an amazing move by itself.
Wario's customs grant him nice benefits, and has the distinction of being customizable to fit the player's preference. However, one of them is simply inferior to the original move. Garlic Breath is simply a worst version of Mewtwo's Disable. It has a large amount of startup and the breath doesn't cover much range. Giving up Wario's versatile command grab for a move that is extremely situational is very infeasible.
DK generally doesn't have bad customs. This one, however, is alright at best. The move has drastically improved vertical distance and ascends much faster. However it comes at the cost of no hitboxes, being unable to use any grounded version, and reduced horizontal distance. Like Bowser's Flying Fortress, DK's large hurtbox makes it not to hard to intercept, but unlike Flying Fortress, Bowser is in more need of a grounded version of up B and Chopper Kong has better speed. It is not too bad a custom move, but Kong Cyclone exists, so choose that one instead.
He only two customs that really benefit him (as explained in the best custom moves article). The rest of his custom moves have disadvantages that noticeably outweigh their advantages, with Exploding Popgun being particularly notorious. He doesn't fire peanuts, but the move's sole purpose is exploding. Despite the reduced charge time, it takes a little while for it to be fully charged, the precharge states are almost useless, and the actual explosion doesn't cover much range. These cons, while removing one of Diddy's ledge covering projectiles, makes it not worth using at all in competitive play.
His custom moves overall grant him benefits. however, while Extreme Judge is not terrible, but it very situational, especially in comparison to normal judge and especially Chain Judge. The move only chooses numbers 1 and 9, though with less extreme effects for each. Getting a slightly nerfed nine is easier, but repeatedly getting ones rack up damage on Game and Watch himself, while getting a nine is less worth it. It also has the distinction of losing all the benefits of the 2-8 judges due to them being nonexistent.
Mac's customs are generally balanced, so these two are picked on due to it's comparisons to his other customs moves, similar to Mario. Deals more damage, grants super armor, and is unblockable. However, it travels slower, cannot be used instantly upon pressing the special button, and does not cover any distance if used immediately out of hitstun. In other words, it is easier to gimp Mac. Rising Smash KO's stupid early, however it comes with a marginally nerfed recovery distance, and since it only consists of two hits, it could sometimes be difficult to connect those hits. It has more ending lag. Despite this, those two moves can be considered into Mac's kit.
Here is part two:
:4link:: Power Bow
Again, the Smashwiki's lack of custom move data on Link made it difficult to pinpoint the good custom moves from the bad. Power Bow cannot really be used as a zoning tool due to it's longer charge time and lack of range, with uncharged arrows being almost useless. It is a good KO tool that could insert pressure, but Link's own moveset has enough power as well.
:4zelda:: Farore's Windfall, Nayru's Rejection
Her customs.... suck. Only two moves in her arsenal overall outweigh their normal variations (see more at the best customs article). Farore's Windfall is bad: it only sends Zelda up, and the fact that it meteor smashes significally hinders it's KO potential. The meteor smash can be used at the side of the stage so the opponent would get spiked, but the move is extremely situational and not worth using. However, Nayru's Rejection is arguably even worse, for it has more startup, has a lower reflection multiplier, and less damage. The move is designed to reverse oppenent's direction like Mario's cape, but the startup, combined with the fact that the move flinches the oppenent, makes it mediocre on doing that. Not worth using at all.
:4sheik:: Skimming Grenade
Sheik's customs are generally good. Skimming Grenade, however, struggles to outweight the strengths of her other two variations. The grenade bounces on the ground away from Sheik with a controllable timed delay before exploding. The explosion deals less damage, but the bounces can deal up to triple the damage of the regular version's hit and pull. You are hardly going to use the bounce's damage anyways (except for maybe specific matchups), so there isn't too much point. According to the in-game description, the move is supposed to adjust damage depending on how long it is out, but it deals the same damage nevertheless. Strange.
:4ganondorf:: Warlock Thrust, Dark Vault
While Ganon drastically benefits from customs, two of them does not have strengths that outweigh the default's strengths. With Warlock Thrust, the backfist is faster and produces a large explosion of dark magical energy, giving it more vertical range, transcendent priority, and less ending lag. The explosion, however, is a large sourspot, with Ganondorf's fist being the only sweetspot in the move. As a result, it deals extremely weak knockback that does not KO until past 300%. This, combined with the move still having a large amount of ending lag, makes the move even more unfeasible, making it heavily inferior to his other neutral B variations. Dark Vault does not give a noticeable amount of increased distance, and can only grab during the beginning of either vault, and has no ending uppercut. Has less horizontal distance, the electrocution ends faster but deals drastically less damage and the explosion has less knockback power that KOs at 400% instead. There also is some lag between the two vaults, making it much easier to edge-guard. Dark Fists is a significantly better option so use that instead.
:4tlink:: Piercing Bow, High-Speed Boomerang
Toon Link has very few customs moves that are overall inferior to his default special moveset. Both of these moves sacrifice some utility (with Piercing Bow having less range and deals noticeably less damage, and High-Speed Boomerang dealing less damage and is tilted only horizontally during its flight and return, which results in its hitbox being consistently smaller than Boomerang's, and having slightly more start up) for the ability to pierce the opponent, with High-Speed Boomerang travelling faster. If customs are allowed in doubles, these two moves would become especially useful there.
:4samus:: Screw Rush
Samus's customs grant her benefits, and her worst custom moves are not terrible at all. Screw Rush is effectively her worst out of them. It deals more damage and knockback, which grants it better KO potential. However, because it launches opponents horizontally, it only KOs reliably near the edge instead of near the upper blast line. It also covers more horizontal distance, but covers significantly less vertical distance, making it less effective for recovery. Considering that Apex Screw Attack is much more reliable in terms of up B KO moves, it makes this move seem less effective in comparison.
:4zss:: Shooting Star Flip Kick, Low Flip, Impact Kick
As mentioned before: Zero Suit Samus' customs are among the most polarized in the game. New advantages are gained from using them, but each one has a noticeable disadvantage to go alongside them, to the point that some are inferior to her default specials because of their disadvantages outweighing their advantages. Shooting Star Flip Kick and Low Flip have much less utility overall: the former is difficult to hit with, whereas the latter is less reliable for both recovering and KOing. Impact Kick is much slower, which removes its status as a follow-up entirely and often makes it unable to connecting with itself.
:4pit::4darkpit:: Impact Orbitars
The Pits doesn't entirely have a custom move that is directly inferior the default moveset. Impact Orbitars are offensive variations that generate two semi-spike hitboxes on each side of Pit. They also grant super armor. However, they have a much shorter duration, and are unable to reflect projectiles or block melee attacks. Considering his other variations pushback and projectile reflection, this move seems unwelcoming, although it could an optimal choice against no projectile opponents and isn't the PK Kids (he can use the other two orbitar variations to gimp both of their recoveries).
:4palutena:: Explosive Flame, Heavenly Light, Rocket Jump
Palutena gains drastic benefits from customs, and turns into a virtually different character. However, some of her moves is not that good at all. Explosive Flame is a pinpoint explosion that is just as slow as Autoreticle, although its limited range makes it even more difficult to land than Autoreticle, as well as being easily punishable if the opponent is in the middle of her and the explosion. It would've been a potential viable alternative to Autoreticle, if it wasn't for the nerf at 1.1.1. Heavenly Light has very minimal use in singles play because of its inability to KO or even flinch. However, these traits also make it invaluable in Team Attack-based doubles play as a method to supplement Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, and Mii Gunner's absorption-based moves. Rocket Jump has a meteor smash hitbox below her in midair and a strong hitbox that notably improves her out of shield game, yet is inferior to both Warp and Jump Glide in every other way.
:4marth::4lucina:: Effortless Blade, Dolphin Jump
Marcina has some customs that isn't truly terrible, but is mediocre overall. Effortless Blade is essentially a poor man's Dancing Blade: it makes the hits easier to link, but only allows forward (red) swings. Since Marcina swings with less vigor, the attack is also much weaker. Dolphin Jump is purely vertical and gains more height, although it can provide more horizontal momentum after the move's conclusion. However, landing lag is significantly increased, and the jump deals no damage, making it easier to intercept.
:4myfriends:: Unyielding Blade
He doesn't really have bad custom moves, with Aether Drive being arguably situational. Unyielding Blade is generally situational in that regard. Deals more damage, to the point that when fully charged, it KOs middleweights at 93% while near the edge of Final Destination in the 3DS version. It also grants super armor for the duration of its charge and lunge. However, it is much slower and has less range, which make it virtually unusable for recovery.
:4robinm:: Soaring Elwind, Distant Nosferatu
Robin's custom are generally mediocre. Soaring Elwind alters the lifting power of each gust. The first hit has less recovery potential and deals less damage, but the second hit has much more recovery potential. But because the first Elwind going less distance makes the move more vulnerable for the tome to run out putting Robin in a bad position. Each gust takes significantly longer to cast, which makes it easier to intercept. Distant Nosferatu grabs opponents farther away instead of at close range, but deals less damage, heals less and is slower. I don't really see the point of using it over Nosferatu, but it be used to surprise unwary opponents.

Row 3 is coming soon.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Unyelding blade is said to have some niche in that it is harder to intercept offstage, but considering my low opinions on Ike (mostly bias of ma boy Greninja easily eating him for breakfast), I better sit out on this one.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
:4link:: Power Bow
Again, the Smashwiki's lack of custom move data on Link made it difficult to pinpoint the good custom moves from the bad. Power Bow cannot really be used as a zoning tool due to it's longer charge time and lack of range, with uncharged arrows being almost useless. It is a good KO tool that could insert pressure, but Link's own moveset has enough power as well.
:4zelda:: Farore's Windfall, Nayru's Rejection
Her customs.... suck. Only two moves in her arsenal overall outweigh their normal variations (see more at the best customs article). Farore's Windfall is bad: it only sends Zelda up, and the fact that it meteor smashes significally hinders it's KO potential. The meteor smash can be used at the side of the stage so the opponent would get spiked, but the move is extremely situational and not worth using. However, Nayru's Rejection is arguably even worse, for it has more startup, has a lower reflection multiplier, and less damage. The move is designed to reverse oppenent's direction like Mario's cape, but the startup, combined with the fact that the move flinches the oppenent, makes it mediocre on doing that. Not worth using at all.
:4sheik:: Skimming Grenade
Sheik's customs are generally good. Skimming Grenade, however, struggles to outweight the strengths of her other two variations. The grenade bounces on the ground away from Sheik with a controllable timed delay before exploding. The explosion deals less damage, but the bounces can deal up to triple the damage of the regular version's hit and pull. You are hardly going to use the bounce's damage anyways (except for maybe specific matchups), so there isn't too much point. According to the in-game description, the move is supposed to adjust damage depending on how long it is out, but it deals the same damage nevertheless. Strange.
:4ganondorf:: Warlock Thrust, Dark Vault
While Ganon drastically benefits from customs, two of them does not have strengths that outweigh the default's strengths. With Warlock Thrust, the backfist is faster and produces a large explosion of dark magical energy, giving it more vertical range, transcendent priority, and less ending lag. The explosion, however, is a large sourspot, with Ganondorf's fist being the only sweetspot in the move. As a result, it deals extremely weak knockback that does not KO until past 300%. This, combined with the move still having a large amount of ending lag, makes the move even more unfeasible, making it heavily inferior to his other neutral B variations. Dark Vault does not give a noticeable amount of increased distance, and can only grab during the beginning of either vault, and has no ending uppercut. Has less horizontal distance, the electrocution ends faster but deals drastically less damage and the explosion has less knockback power that KOs at 400% instead. There also is some lag between the two vaults, making it much easier to edge-guard. Dark Fists is a significantly better option so use that instead.
:4tlink:: Piercing Bow, High-Speed Boomerang
Toon Link has very few customs moves that are overall inferior to his default special moveset. Both of these moves sacrifice some utility (with Piercing Bow having less range and deals noticeably less damage, and High-Speed Boomerang dealing less damage and is tilted only horizontally during its flight and return, which results in its hitbox being consistently smaller than Boomerang's, and having slightly more start up) for the ability to pierce the opponent, with High-Speed Boomerang travelling faster. If customs are allowed in doubles, these two moves would become especially useful there.
:4samus:: Screw Rush
Samus's customs grant her benefits, and her worst custom moves are not terrible at all. Screw Rush is effectively her worst out of them. It deals more damage and knockback, which grants it better KO potential. However, because it launches opponents horizontally, it only KOs reliably near the edge instead of near the upper blast line. It also covers more horizontal distance, but covers significantly less vertical distance, making it less effective for recovery. Considering that Apex Screw Attack is much more reliable in terms of up B KO moves, it makes this move seem less effective in comparison.
:4zss:: Shooting Star Flip Kick, Low Flip, Impact Kick
As mentioned before: Zero Suit Samus' customs are among the most polarized in the game. New advantages are gained from using them, but each one has a noticeable disadvantage to go alongside them, to the point that some are inferior to her default specials because of their disadvantages outweighing their advantages. Shooting Star Flip Kick and Low Flip have much less utility overall: the former is difficult to hit with, whereas the latter is less reliable for both recovering and KOing. Impact Kick is much slower, which removes its status as a follow-up entirely and often makes it unable to connecting with itself.
:4pit::4darkpit:: Impact Orbitars
The Pits doesn't entirely have a custom move that is directly inferior the default moveset. Impact Orbitars are offensive variations that generate two semi-spike hitboxes on each side of Pit. They also grant super armor. However, they have a much shorter duration, and are unable to reflect projectiles or block melee attacks. Considering his other variations pushback and projectile reflection, this move seems unwelcoming, although it could an optimal choice against no projectile opponents and isn't the PK Kids (he can use the other two orbitar variations to gimp both of their recoveries).
:4palutena:: Explosive Flame, Heavenly Light, Rocket Jump
Palutena gains drastic benefits from customs, and turns into a virtually different character. However, some of her moves is not that good at all. Explosive Flame is a pinpoint explosion that is just as slow as Autoreticle, although its limited range makes it even more difficult to land than Autoreticle, as well as being easily punishable if the opponent is in the middle of her and the explosion. It would've been a potential viable alternative to Autoreticle, if it wasn't for the nerf at 1.1.1. Heavenly Light has very minimal use in singles play because of its inability to KO or even flinch. However, these traits also make it invaluable in Team Attack-based doubles play as a method to supplement Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, and Mii Gunner's absorption-based moves. Rocket Jump has a meteor smash hitbox below her in midair and a strong hitbox that notably improves her out of shield game, yet is inferior to both Warp and Jump Glide in every other way.
:4marth::4lucina:: Effortless Blade, Dolphin Jump
Marcina has some customs that isn't truly terrible, but is mediocre overall. Effortless Blade is essentially a poor man's Dancing Blade: it makes the hits easier to link, but only allows forward (red) swings. Since Marcina swings with less vigor, the attack is also much weaker. Dolphin Jump is purely vertical and gains more height, although it can provide more horizontal momentum after the move's conclusion. However, landing lag is significantly increased, and the jump deals no damage, making it easier to intercept.
:4myfriends:: Unyielding Blade
He doesn't really have bad custom moves, with Aether Drive being arguably situational. Unyielding Blade is generally situational in that regard. Deals more damage, to the point that when fully charged, it KOs middleweights at 93% while near the edge of Final Destination in the 3DS version. It also grants super armor for the duration of its charge and lunge. However, it is much slower and has less range, which make it virtually unusable for recovery.
:4robinm:: Soaring Elwind, Distant Nosferatu
Robin's custom are generally mediocre. Soaring Elwind alters the lifting power of each gust. The first hit has less recovery potential and deals less damage, but the second hit has much more recovery potential. But because the first Elwind going less distance makes the move more vulnerable for the tome to run out putting Robin in a bad position. Each gust takes significantly longer to cast, which makes it easier to intercept. Distant Nosferatu grabs opponents farther away instead of at close range, but deals less damage, heals less and is slower. I don't really see the point of using it over Nosferatu, but it be used to surprise unwary opponents.
Part 3:
:4duckhunt:: Rising Clay
This the only move in Duck Hunt's custom arsenal that is overall too situational for practical use. Rising Clay's clay pigeon slowly rises into the air and deals more damage the farther it travels. However, it is thrown slower and cannot be shot at. It retains Clay Shooting's trajectory influence. Not much to say, as his other customs have more practical use.
:4kirby:: Ice Breath
All of Kirby's customs grant him benefits. The one that does that the least is Ice Breath. It is a short-ranged projectile that can freeze opponents for a time and function as a great edge-guarding option, but removes all of Inhale's benefits of being able to use copy abilities and Kirbycide. The actual breath itself is, again, short-ranged, and Kirby already has reliable edgeguarding tools in his disposal. It is a custom move you should consider though.
:4dedede:: Dedede Storm, Taste Test, Armored Jet Hammer
His customs suck (which explains why two inhale versions are here lol). Sharing the worst set of custom moves alongside Zelda and Jigglypuff, he has three customs that is not a very good idea of bringing with him. Dedede Storm has much slower start-up and ending lag than Inhale, removes Dededecide, is a multiple hitting move that cannot connect after 100%, and lacks strong hitboxes, preventing it from KOing even well beyond 200%. Taste Test spits opponents out instantly, preventing Dedede from sending the opponent off-stage, which allows them to exploit his vulnerability. Armored Jet Hammer offers super armor on charge, but causes recoil damage faster, is drastically weaker to the point where a fully charged blow is weaker than an uncharged hit by the default, and has severe ending lag to the point where one can jump from the top of Battlefield and use it and then be unable to move until Dedede lands on the main platform. Having armor is nice, but everything else sucks.
:4metaknight:: Shieldbreaker Drill, Lazy Shuttle Loop, Shield Piercer
Similar to ZSS, MK's custom moves bring out advantages to the character, but at the cost of giving him new weaknesses. None of his customs are really terrible. His more situational ones are Sheildbreaker Drill, Lazy Shuttle Loop, and Shield Piercer. Shieldbreaker Drill can break shields very reliably, but cannot be used to attack or recover effectively. Lazy Shuttle Loop hits even harder and covers much more distance than the default, but is very slow, making it difficult to hit the opponent. Although the buff to his already great recovery is welcoming, the lack of speed effectively removes his latter combos. If you got a airdodge read, however, it hits the opponent hard. With Shield Piercer, the slash penetrates shields and covers a bit more vertical distance, but at the cost of lower damage outputs and covering less horizontal distance, as well has having worse frame data.
:4fox:: Charge Blaster
Fox's customs are generally good, and Charge Blaster is a move that you should consider, despite Impact Blaster existing. He fires a single, powerful laser. It has a slower start-up time, but has considerable hitstun and good knockback, although it struggles to have KO power. It less start-up time if used while airborne.
:4falco:: Accele-Reflector, Falco Charge
Falco has some good customs, but has very situational ones as well. His worse is Accele-Reflector and Falco Charge. The only benefits that Accele-Reflector has over his normal one is that the reflected projectile is faster, and reflecting it no longer dmaages Falco. That is it. It can only reflect if Falco is moving forward, the reflector itself deals less damage, and the reflected projectile has a damage multiplier of x1, rather than x1.2. The reflector itself ends after it is fully reached. Truly not worth using over the other two variations. Falco Charge nearly halves the distance of the move and travels slower, but increases the damage and knockback, especially at the beginning. The move sends opponents diagonally and only has slight KO potential at very high percentages.
:4pikachu:: Thunder Shock, Shocking Skull Bash
None of Pikachu's customs are too bad, nor too good either. Thunder Shock is a horizontal projectile and disappears upon hitting the ground without bouncing. Initially weaker than the regular variant, but unleashes a powerful blast at the end. However, it covers less range. Shocking Skull Bash has an electric effect and hits multiple times, with the last hit dealing more knockback. However, it is weaker and has more ending lag. Not bad moves however.
:4charizard:: Fireball Cannon
While Charizard receives a lot of benefits form customs, a few is very situational. Fireball Cannon is essentially a worse version of Bowser's Fire Shot. It shoots fireballs that travel further. Although the description suggests that this attack deals less damage than Flamethrower, each flame deals 3% damage at close range, and 2% damage at a distance. It doesn't hit opponents as frequently as Flamethrower, however. Charizard has to fire at least three fireballs before it can end this attack. Additionally, the fireballs have normal priority, so stronger hitboxes can neutralize them.
:4lucario:: Advancing Force Palm, Extreme Speed Attack
While Lucario's customs give him notable benefits, some are generally situational. Advancing Force Palm moves Lucario forward, but deals slightly less damage and has more start-up lag. It will leave the player open if it misses. Extreme Speed Attack removes the sweetspot and large knockback of the move, and is instead a multi-hit attack that is easier to connect with. Slightly less distance gained, however, and you are still able to predict it.
:4jigglypuff:: Spinphony
It is finally time to talk about Jigglypuff. She possesses some of the worst custom movesets in the entire game. Spinphony is, in particular, considered to be its worst custom move (and arguably the worst custom special move in the game), as it has very slow start-up, a very long interval between its active hitboxes and very long ending lag, to the point one could use it from the upper blast zone of the stage, and be dragged down to the lower blast zone by the ending of the move. It can reverse opponent's direction, but like Zelda's Nayru's Rejection, it causes flinching, granting opponents the ability to reuse any of their recovery moves. A dishonorable mention is Wakie Wakie. When Jigglypuff falls asleep, it emits a pushing vortex, which can make the move harder to land, but can also protect Jigglypuff by pushing foes away. Jigglypuff stays asleep for just half the amount of time, then Jigglypuff will wake up with an explosion larger than the vortex, take 5% recoil damage, and inflict 15% flame damage to nearby opponents. The move has more startup (although it does have less ending lag), which can make it easy to punish Jigglypuff from using the move despite the vortex. It can also be easily avoided.
:4greninja:: Shadow Strike, Single-Shot Pump
Greninja's worst customs are pretty bad. Shadow Dash is also somewhat inferior to Shadow Sneak, but Shadow Strike is even worse. Both the shadow, and Greninja's startup and ending lag are much slower, removing any reliable followups the move has, much outweights the power buff given to the move. The only benefit that Single Shot Pump has is that it is more powerful. That is it. It is very linear and lacking any edgeguarding potential due to it only propelling Greninja straight up. It is a significantly inferior to the other two variations, and not worth using at all.

Final Part coming as soon as I feel like it.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The only benefit that Single Shot Pump has is that it is more powerful. That is it. It is very linear and lacking any edgeguarding potential due to it only propelling Greninja straight up. It is a significantly inferior to the other two variations, and not worth using at all.
While I can't imagine most frog mains wanting to give up their versatile recovery, Single Shot Pump is actually a really nice move. Unlike other UpBs, Greninja maintains his aerial weaving during helpless, so while he gives up his usual recovery's flexibility he maintains plenty of distance and control. Single Shot Pump being a quick downward projectile with horizontal knockback makes it excellent for edgeguarding low recoveries, as well. Threatening low percent KOs from it pressures opponents to recover high, which opens them up to Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, bair, fair, etc., and airdodging any of them once again puts the opponent low for Single Shot Pump to work its magic.

Contrast to High-Capacity Pump, which is disgustingly slow and has zero offensive merit.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
While I can't imagine most frog mains wanting to give up their versatile recovery, Single Shot Pump is actually a really nice move. Unlike other UpBs, Greninja maintains his aerial weaving during helpless, so while he gives up his usual recovery's flexibility he maintains plenty of distance and control. Single Shot Pump being a quick downward projectile with horizontal knockback makes it excellent for edgeguarding low recoveries, as well. Threatening low percent KOs from it pressures opponents to recover high, which opens them up to Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, bair, fair, etc., and airdodging any of them once again puts the opponent low for Single Shot Pump to work its magic.

Contrast to High-Capacity Pump, which is disgustingly slow and has zero offensive merit.
Except that his other variations can do pretty much the same thing, and not be as disgustingly linear.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Despite its inability to deal damage though, High-Capacity Pump does offer Greninja a larger travel distance than Hydro Pump. As such, it's not totally useless.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Yup, about the only remotely relevant use of Armored Jet Hammer is to stall on the road of 3DS Mute City or similar hazardous terrain. And due to hazardous terrain being a big no-no for competitive stages (even tough Mute City's road is essentially a diferent kind of blast line so it COULD be a theoretically valid counterpick on a open minded 3DS tournament), it won't see any use.

As I mentioned, High Capacity Pump is essentially a training Hydro Pump. It is laggy enough to be intecepted on reaction, and with the problem of not having anything (frontal hitboxes, intangibility) to protect Greninja, we all know what that means against any character with a decent meteor.

But even that is better than Single Shot Pump. The windbox on Hydro Pump and High Capacity Pump (weaker, but to be honest it HAS the advantage of having fixed knockback thus working equally as well at any percent) and the extreme gimping potential it has, especially against characters forced to recover high, is just too good to pass up.

On Jigglypuff's Wakie Wakie and Spinphony (better known as S***phony), the top 10 worst custom moves video says it all: "The only way you will hit someone is if you phisycally knock the controller out of their hands." and "Spinphony is so bad it makes his default Up-B look good. If you use it, on any circumstance whatsoever, you will get punished." And the worst part is that the comentary on one move also applies to the other move...

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Yup, about the only remotely relevant use of Armored Jet Hammer is to stall on the road of 3DS Mute City or similar hazardous terrain. And due to hazardous terrain being a big no-no for competitive stages (even tough Mute City's road is essentially a diferent kind of blast line so it COULD be a theoretically valid counterpick on a open minded 3DS tournament), it won't see any use.

As I mentioned, High Capacity Pump is essentially a training Hydro Pump. It is laggy enough to be intecepted on reaction, and with the problem of not having anything (frontal hitboxes, intangibility) to protect Greninja, we all know what that means against any character with a decent meteor.

But even that is better than Single Shot Pump. The windbox on Hydro Pump and High Capacity Pump (weaker, but to be honest it HAS the advantage of having fixed knockback thus working equally as well at any percent) and the extreme gimping potential it has, especially against characters forced to recover high, is just too good to pass up.

On Jigglypuff's Wakie Wakie and Spinphony (better known as S***phony), the top 10 worst custom moves video says it all: "The only way you will hit someone is if you phisycally knock the controller out of their hands." and "Spinphony is so bad it makes his default Up-B look good. If you use it, on any circumstance whatsoever, you will get punished." And the worst part is that the comentary on one move also applies to the other move...
I remember that video. I disagreed with adding Melee Charge Shot and Lazy Shuttle Loop in the list, and think that the slots could have moves like Dedede Storm, Armored Jet Hammer, Single-Shot Pump, etc.
Melee Charge Shot has a shorter charge time than both Charge Shot and Dense Charge shot, while also having considerably more hitstun and shieldstun with the inclusion of extra pushback after its use, making it extremely safe if shielded or even whiffed, despite the increased ending lag. The fact that it isn't a projectile and it has less KO power, makes it only a semi-viable alternative though.
I did mention that Lazy Shuttle Loop is one of MK's worst customs, but it is not that bad to be considered one of the worst customs.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably mention that there's a glitch involving Armored Jet Hammer, in that for some odd reason, whenever Dedede jumps, once he starts falling, he ends up losing the super armor until he touches ground. And yet, the SpecialLwFall_C2 command clearly states that the super armor is turned on.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I should probably mention that there's a glitch involving Armored Jet Hammer, in that for some odd reason, whenever Dedede jumps, once he starts falling, he ends up losing the super armor until he touches ground. And yet, the SpecialLwFall_C2 command clearly states that the super armor is turned on.
Well, the Mighty Falcon punch and Armored Jet Hammer are supposed to be stronger than the default variations, and instead do less damage and knockback. Those and many other customs on this list never having been tested in the game at all before release is the obvious reason that there are so many obviously terrible customs.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Well, the Mighty Falcon punch and Armored Jet Hammer are supposed to be stronger than the default variations, and instead do less damage and knockback. Those and many other customs on this list never having been tested in the game at all before release is the obvious reason that there are so many obviously terrible customs.
I never knew about either of them, wow! Thanks for the info!

I disagree with the Rising Smash being inferior by comparison. I think it's at the very least more useful than the Tornado Uppercut (though I'd still pick the default up B over the others any day). The Tornado Uppercut isn't really flat-out terrible either, but compared to the other two, it dosen't make up for it's flaws well enough (inconsequentially more recovery height dosen't really make up for the loss of one of Mac's only good aerial tools). The Rising Smash is insanely powerful and isn't much worse than regular up b for recovery (though practically nothing is).

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I disagree with the Rising Smash being inferior by comparison. I think it's at the very least more useful than the Tornado Uppercut (though I'd still pick the default up B over the others any day). The Tornado Uppercut isn't really flat-out terrible either, but compared to the other two, it dosen't make up for it's flaws well enough (inconsequentially more recovery height dosen't really make up for the loss of one of Mac's only good aerial tools). The Rising Smash is insanely powerful and isn't much worse than regular up b for recovery (though practically nothing is).
It is the fact that the second hit of Rising Smash can whiff, even if you hit the opponent with the first hit. Tornado Uppercut gives out better protection for recovery (despite it still being mediocre). Nevertheless, both variations can be considered into Mac's kit.

It is the fact that the second hit of Rising Smash can whiff, even if you hit the opponent with the first hit. Tornado Uppercut gives out better protection for recovery (despite it still being mediocre). Nevertheless, both variations can be considered into Mac's kit.
Fair enough, opinions are opinions. As you said, Mac dosen't really have any outright terrible customs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom