• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Wii U Release Date

What year do you think the Wii U version will relase?

• Total voters

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
I'd say at least a fifth if the 44 million people that own 3ds's, which is more then if Every person who had a Wii U bought one.
You took that out of context... so hard.

Nobody would choose to buy the 3ds version over the Wii U version if they had both consoles. However there are people who are going to get the Wii U version who will still buy the 3ds one JUST because it comes first. Therefore by releasing the WiiU later it doesn't hurt sales. If they release the 3ds later it does reduce sales.

Nowhere did I state that nobody would buy the 3ds version or that more versions of the Wii U would sell. You just misunderstood my message.

People are more hyped for the Wii U version. I've yet to meet someone who is solely 100% only wanting to play the 3ds game.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who owns a 3DS and doesn't have any interest in the Wii U, which is actually the majority.
and how many of those people WON'T play the WiiU version? It's not only about what you own, it's what you'll play. Smash is a party game and people play it with other people, which is a better experience on the WiiU then 3ds.

I know plenty of people who will only be playing the game at my house on my WiiU. They own 3ds but aren't going to buy it for that.

The point is if you COULD you WOULD play the Wii U version over the 3ds. I don't know anyone that prefers the 3ds version.

So please stop bringing up that more people have 3ds and not Wii U therefore people prefer the 3ds version of Smash. Nobody is arguing that the 3ds isn't more accessible then the Wii U, that's a different topic.

TLDR~ I understand more 3ds versions will sell. However I doubt many of them wouldn't rather have the Wii U version.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think the game will come out end of 2014 ready for the holiday shopping season. I think 2015 is much to late considering when the 3DS version is coming out.

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
Frankly guys I've wanted to own both regardless of release dates since the beginning, and I'm sure I'm not the only one

SuicidalYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirZeldaNerd
The official release window for Smash Wii U is no longer Winter 2014, I don't think many people have understood this. They changed it to Holiday 2014 at E3, thus making a much more accurate. For those who don't know, Winter begins a few days before Christmas. The November 21 release from GameStop is the most accurate one I've heard. Nintendo likes to release games around that time, proof being Mario 3D World, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Zelda Skyward Sword, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Sapphire

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
The official release window for Smash Wii U is no longer Winter 2014, I don't think many people have understood this. They changed it to Holiday 2014 at E3, thus making a much more accurate. For those who don't know, Winter begins a few days before Christmas. The November 21 release from GameStop is the most accurate one I've heard. Nintendo likes to release games around that time, proof being Mario 3D World, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Zelda Skyward Sword, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Sapphire
Since you mentioned 3D World.
Looking at the release dates of the game (NA: November 22; EU: November 29) it would be the exact same dates as the rumoured dates for SSB4. All sites stating November 21 are NA. The UK(EU) one states November 28.
So it actually would fit the pattern.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm expecting it late November. I can't see it being pushed back to 2015 seeing as the content should almost be finished by now. They'll just be working on small things.

(I still think the Wii U version should have come out long before the 3DS version)

Drinz

Smash Rookie
Honestly I just want them to make sure its 100% done before they release it! im not worried about how long it takes. (though I do WANT it now >_>)

ferioku

Smash Ace
Anyone who owns a 3DS and doesn't have any interest in the Wii U, which is actually the majority.
Minority* I've mostly heard people say the 3DS version is inferior for many reasons and the Wii U version is the real deal. Either way, I'm buying both.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
November seems about right. November 2018.

In all seriousness, though, I doubt it'll do well if it comes out after Black Friday, or even worse, Christmas. *gasp*

Xigger

Smash Lord
Minority* I've mostly heard people say the 3DS version is inferior for many reasons and the Wii U version is the real deal. Either way, I'm buying both.
You might hear that on the internet a lot, in a Smash community that prefers the HD version, but the proof is in the numbers. The 3DS sales far outnumber the Wii U numbers. The 3DS is officially the majority. If you think the Wii U will sell more, good for you.

But I'm not here to explain the state of the market, or explain the difference between the entire market and a small target audience.

laces

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly certain it's coming out before Christmas. My guess is late November. The 3ds version would have been out roughly 2 months by then, allowing plenty of time to be bought up and played by the people who're just too eager to wait and play the wii u version. This also gives it about a month gap between then and Christmas, a decent chunk of time to be available before the holidays.

If I had to take a random shot in the dark. November 28th or 29th.

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I would bet on Holiday 2014, but I don't expect to hear about it until after the first week of Smash Bros 3DS so that they maximize sales of that version.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Amiibo's are for selling.
They may release them before the Wii U game, if the game is going to come out after Black Friday.

But I think the game will really try to come out before them, and that anything screwed up will be patched.

As for getting one version or the other--

We have not seen ANY exclusive content that the Wii will have.
I'm sure that we will not until after the 3DS is out, maybe even for a month.
I'm banking on the Wii having some insane exclusive content.

I'm hoping for some party mode fun (considering Sakurai is emphasizing his use of the words party game) akin to the games in Pokemon Stadium. I'm hoping for Smash Ballet.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
You might hear that on the internet a lot, in a Smash community that prefers the HD version, but the proof is in the numbers. The 3DS sales far outnumber the Wii U numbers. The 3DS is officially the majority. If you think the Wii U will sell more, good for you.

But I'm not here to explain the state of the market, or explain the difference between the entire market and a small target audience.
Doesn't mean everyone with a 3DS has interest in smash 4! I've seen a lot of people without an interest in it and are skippiong the 3ds version for the Wii U version.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Doesn't mean everyone with a 3DS has interest in smash 4! I've seen a lot of people without an interest in it and are skippiong the 3ds version for the Wii U version.
True, plus just because some people don't have a Wii U and have a 3DS also doesn't mean they're skipping the Wii U version. Like for me, the moment I seen thebtrailer at E3 was the moment I told myself I'm getting a Wii U. Lol (On Gamepad right now.) Not that this reply had anything to do with anyone. Just saying... I forgot what I was trying to prove but I'm pretty sure someone out there understands my message.

ferioku

Smash Ace
True, plus just because some people don't have a Wii U and have a 3DS also doesn't mean they're skipping the Wii U version. Like for me, the moment I seen thebtrailer at E3 was the moment I told myself I'm getting a Wii U. Lol (On Gamepad right now.) Not that this reply had anything to do with anyone. Just saying... I forgot what I was trying to prove but I'm pretty sure someone out there understands my message.
Yeah, I'm not saying it out of preference, it's just blatant which one is the "superior version". I'm sure that it will somehow mange to sell either an equal ammount or more than the 3ds version.

carphen

Smash Rookie
Found a store in Sweden that put their release date on 2014-12-06.

add /VhkGYzL.png to a imgur link I guess, since I am not allowed to post links yet.

I was browsing their site ~1 week ago and found no date at all, so it would seem like it has been recently updated.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
I really hope amazon is wrong because there it says 31 december, i really dont want to wait that long altho i will have to wait whatever the time it is coz that's the version i'm getting at the end...

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Amazon just puts that as the placeholder date because they only know it's within this year.

We should be gettting it soon.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
I really hope we get it sooner than that, late november or something like that, I find painful having to see ppl enjoying the 3ds version (i choosed to buy a wii u over the 3ds console) while waiting like +1 month and half for the wii u version :ohwell: not to mention i would dislike to feel being behind them in terms of progress in the game they might have finnished the game already by december or even november itself if they are that addicted to the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom