• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well the idea was that you could pick any random match and just critique it, but yeah I'll know next time just to pick one.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I'll take a look at them, with the Fox one in particular. I could use some pointers on the matchup anyway, haha.

Yeah, I completely forgot about your videos up here, Scabe. You should update the title so we know. I forgot about it because the title still says Parade17 vs. Chuck, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I'll do the Scabe (Link) vs Shaya (Marth) 2/4 since Huggles will do the Fox one.

Overall good use of dropping bombs as a defensive wall along with rang and zair for a pretty good midrange game. Good come back and what not.

I don't really feel like breaking it down into sections soo yeah...
- (0:20-0:25) Tough break man. You probably know this but bad time to use your second jump. After he knocked off your second jump there was nothing you could have done. Could have either zair to restore invincibility or saved your second jump after you got knocked off. Either way it was pretty difficult situation to be in.
- (0:38-0:40) Seems like you could have jumped sooner to follow up with Fair/Nair or just have waited for him to land and go for a grab or run past him and pivot grab
-(0:41-0:43) In situations where i land a Bair i like to throw in a rang to add a few more damage that is hard to dodge.
-(0:59) I love the random arrow i do those randomly too and sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.
- (1:10-1:13) You seem to do a descending zair after being hit a lot. I understand that it can work. But based on how both Shaya and Atyeo as fox both were able to run right under it and go into a grab seems to me that it isnt that safe against faster characters. Either that or you're choosing to use it too early. I'm not really sure, just speculation.
-(1:15-1:18) Good recovery with the overshooting the ledge and catching Marth.
- (1:23-1:30) There seem to be a bit of hesitation after the rang. Could have caught him with Ftilt/Utilt or after he hit the ground go into a jab cancel into jab cancel may have been a better choice then a Dsmash as he was able to defend against the first jab.
-(1:40-1:50) Another good recovery taking the hit with good DI to give yourself a better chance to recover. Would have been so great if you timed the zair edgehog.
-(3:20ish) As that guy stated a Dair would have been great there. Might have even won the match for you.
- (4:10ish) Missed another chance to punish after the spot dodged Fsmash. Atleast you didnt get hit though.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I'm removing the featured critique section. Hard to keep up with and limits discussion.

Post whatever. Critique whatever.

Let's kick it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Alright i guess its time for me to get a bit of critique again. Once again its hard for me to get matches i lose. But i did do fairly bad in this one.

Negi(Link) Vs Dren(Yoshi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZH-X_PdBY

I need to figure out how to more effectively recover from the ledge. Probably my greatest weakness as Link.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
0:00-0:08: That's 4 U-tilts. I'm guessing you didn't U-smash because it's easy to DI out of?

0:15: Ooh, F-tilt spamming Yoshi. Since you wanted a little help on your ledge game, here's what I usually do: roll recovery. Or, there's this I saw KirinBlaze do once: let go of the ledge>pull out a bomb>second jump>U-special>grab ledge>let go>second jump immediately>throw bomb. You try F-air onto the stage?

0:26: Yoshi predicted the Gale return. No offense and between us you're definitely the better player but try keeping in mind when the Gale will return. You could have just stayed on the ledge a little longer and Yoshi would have been forced off the stage. No harm done since you obviously DI'd and recovered successfully.

0:37: NICE recovery!

0:47: Yoshi charged and you shielded for about 2 seconds. I guess I would have done the exact same thing you did. Guys, we both could use some input on what to do in this situation. Could we airdodge U-smash-through-platform instead of spotdodging and landing onto the stage, instead? Would that work?

0:55: D-air kill! Nice one. I expected N-air to space and recover.

0:58-1:28: Holy cat mittens, Batman! That's MASSIVE aggression for a Link on 132% against a Yoshi on Battlefield. I tend to play defensively when I near 120% damage in any situation, but wow! I learned a few moves from this stretch. Like the 'rang thrown backward. Good way to space--literally (hyuk hyuk).

1:44-1:48: You really should be more aggressive now that--oh. D-smash kill. The Yoshi got defensive. And died. That's a lesson for me.

1:48-2:20: Dude, the Yoshi almost had you there. What happened?

2:45: Bomb to N-air. I'll have to try that one out now. Good reflexes. Or is that a true combo?

Overall, I'd say you had dominance of the match except the 1:48 to 2:20 stretch which is sort of irrelevant since the Yoshi U-aired you to safety anyway. Makes me wonder why I made the point in the first place. I learned a few things, so that's a plus one. Sorry for the extra spacing (makes it easier to read) and the long-windedness (that's just me).

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Thx for the critique.

0:00-0:08: That's 4 U-tilts. I'm guessing you didn't U-smash because it's easy to DI out of?

Yeah i dont like Usmash. Not because its DIable but because Usmash is really punishable. I only use Usmash on accident or if i know its going to hit. It's true Usmash has 3 attacks really quickly for like what 17% damage? Makes it hard to spot dodge/air dodge. Though if you time your Utilts correctly you can catch peoples air dodges anyway without the risk of some huge punishment. Thats my theory anyway.

0:15: Ooh, F-tilt spamming Yoshi. Since you wanted a little help on your ledge game, here's what I usually do: roll recovery. Or, there's this I saw KirinBlaze do once: let go of the ledge>pull out a bomb>second jump>U-special>grab ledge>let go>second jump immediately>throw bomb. You try F-air onto the stage?

I am sorta able to do that sort of stuff, but online i have a good chance of accidentally fast falling while trying to pull a bomb. Also based on the previous matches with this guy who owned me a bunch. I rather not use my air jump and then risk being gimped. As you saw on the later portion when i was cornered on the edge. If i jumped at that point i probably would have died. That and im still not very good at Fair ledge hop.

0:26: Yoshi predicted the Gale return. No offense and between us you're definitely the better player but try keeping in mind when the Gale will return. You could have just stayed on the ledge a little longer and Yoshi would have been forced off the stage. No harm done since you obviously DI'd and recovered successfully.

0:37: NICE recovery!

It wasnt much, i just saved my jump and my rang happened to save me. I probably would have gotten spiked if it wasn't for that.

0:47: Yoshi charged and you shielded for about 2 seconds. I guess I would have done the exact same thing you did. Guys, we both could use some input on what to do in this situation. Could we airdodge U-smash-through-platform instead of spotdodging and landing onto the stage, instead? Would that work?

I had no idea if Yoshi's usmash could go through the platform and hit me at that range. Probably just paranoid but i guess its better to be safe then sorry. Also idk if that would be all that safe. Since hes charging it you dont really know when its coming. What i could have done is probably walk off the platform to the right and Rang him as i fall.

0:55: D-air kill! Nice one. I expected N-air to space and recover.

0:58-1:28: Holy cat mittens, Batman! That's MASSIVE aggression for a Link on 132% against a Yoshi on Battlefield. I tend to play defensively when I near 120% damage in any situation, but wow! I learned a few moves from this stretch. Like the 'rang thrown backward. Good way to space--literally (hyuk hyuk).
Yeah i tend to be aggressive when my opponent is at low%, its much easier to juggle them, though it does put alot of risk on my part. But the way i think is any damage I add on to my opponent when I'm ahead a stock is bonus. And if i die no real loss it just resets the match. But I dont recommend following what I do as i am really reckless.

1:44-1:48: You really should be more aggressive now that--oh. D-smash kill. The Yoshi got defensive. And died. That's a lesson for me.

1:48-2:20: Dude, the Yoshi almost had you there. What happened?

This is the point i was trying to make on the post above, I do fairly bad when I'm either on the ledge or forced into a corner and unable to space as i please. It's even harder for me if they stand back and wait for me to act. I have major trouble against a DK in this position with his huge range and quick smashes. This is mainly where i need some critique.

2:45: Bomb to N-air. I'll have to try that one out now. Good reflexes. Or is that a true combo?
Its a fairly reliable combo. If they are close enough. Though if you can manage to drop bomb to footstool instead. It has much better combo potential of both killing with Dair or FFnair to jab lock.

Overall, I'd say you had dominance of the match except the 1:48 to 2:20 stretch which is sort of irrelevant since the Yoshi U-aired you to safety anyway. Makes me wonder why I made the point in the first place. I learned a few things, so that's a plus one. Sorry for the extra spacing (makes it easier to read) and the long-windedness (that's just me).

NP. Anyway thx again.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
At 1:58, you kept platform bombing which you immediately followed up by a U-air. That's the opening Yoshi needed. Why'd you U-air? D-air I would've still understood but with U-air your hurtbox was between Yoshi and your hitbox.

Then, at 2:03, there's this momentary lull where you're expecting to get hit further and preparing to DI (I hope) and Yoshi backs off and expects you to counterattack or retreat. That's where he got you, again, because at 2:05 you rolled directly INTO him. The Z-air to F-tilt was a good retaliation except that he grabbed you. I'm guessing the Yoshi has played either you a couple of times or pretty good Links to actually expect that.

At 2:11, he played it safe by D-smashing and you rolled into him. That's either just tough luck or the Yoshi was completely into your defensive gameplay.

2:20, I have absolutely no idea how he got you. I've gone over it a million times and checked the Yoshi boards' guide and all I get is he just fluked you into an F-smash. Then, the U-air and back onto the stage.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
During that time i tried nearly every option i could when cornered and he countered them all. Idk if it was just sheer bad luck that he did the right option each time or just knew exactly what i was thinking.

I'm not really sure why i did Uair, i might have been trying Fair but either way i dont know if theres any aerial Link could do that could beat Yoshi's Bair in priority. Maybe Dair but that wouldnt have been a good move anyway he could just wait it out. Maybe i tried to do an Uair and hope he jumped to high and into it. Overall i was just getting impatient because he wasnt really approaching just taunting me. lol.

at about 2:11 he did a dash pivot cancel which i really didn't expect. Its a fairly easy sliding technique especially with Yoshi who has the biggest window for the dash pivot cancel. Basically dash away turn around and somewhere after the turn around and before you start running again he Dsmashed.

at 2:20 it was just a dash attack when i tried to ledge jump, its kinda obvious why he hit me. Because jumping doesn't really have much if any invincibility frames.

Anyway i really should learn patience and actually zair stall sometimes to vary my get up. But idk I just dont assume that they will actually attempt to attack at the time.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Alright i guess its time for me to get a bit of critique again. Once again its hard for me to get matches i lose. But i did do fairly bad in this one.

Negi(Link) Vs Dren(Yoshi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZH-X_PdBY

I need to figure out how to more effectively recover from the ledge. Probably my greatest weakness as Link.
^(from ledge) jump> Nair/airdodge, ledgestall>quickdraw if the opponents too far to Fair, ledgestall> Fair/Nair, Ledge stall>airdodge. Play mindgames like: tap away from the ledge>tether to ledge grab>ledge jump>Nair. You can spam without landing on the stage too.

I just played Volt Ano (something like that) on wifi and had no idea what to do + it was laggy so my buffering was horribly off and I plain sucked. But I got good experience with the yoshi ( Y ) MU.
Yoshi has great air side movement and attacks. He has tricks like armor frames and quick reactions- if Y's going for you in the air assume he'll safely reach you. The safest option is to move from where Y is going and spam or landing punish. The other tactic is bait an airdodge, Zair destroys eggs and is the only fast enough option unless you are far enough not to be blown up with your bomb and armor frame attacked, and punish the air dodge lag.
Eggs- Yoshi can do a lot with these, they're explotions have a big range too. My advice is too air doge the egg>Zair or stay low. I noticed you were trying to throw bombs down on battlefield, Y will beat us in that situation. Eggs are a strong defense and attack for a huge area above and to the sides of Y that we can't break by spamming from above or far away. Spam canceling eggs makes them explode too. Link's best bet is medium range spamming around the eggs aiming for Y or Zair>landing attack when close. Counting the bomb pull time, eggs out-spam every thing beside uncharged arrows and Zair so move and try again if Y gets spam momentum.
Chain grab: that Y didn't use CGs. I think it's Dthrow>dash grab>Dthrow etc. Link take a ton of hit lag and falls into another grab. This surprised me and has a lot of other follow-ups. Fortunately Y's tongue is short.
Dair was a smart recovery move, good work using it when Y couldn't Uair. Stay closer to the ground, Link has better spamming capabilities. Assume Y will land in his desired spot and attack quickly in the air, move somewhere else. Don't Let Y breach your 'tip of jab' spacing. You had good Zair defense but let Y land too close a few times.
Planking: Y's an annoying planker. Space your range attacks so they will hit Y's hand holding the ledge. Notice that most spam will land in almost the same place regardless of if it's SH or jumped.
SH bomb throws to quickdraw look like the best option on stages with platforms like battlefield.

(Distance of) 1 quickdraw, 2 SH arrow, 3 jumped arrow, 4 weak bomb toss, 5 Forward bomb throw, 6 SH/jumped Forward bomb throw.

You can always bomb shield or dash>shield>jump>down bomb throw too.

(I love that picture.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Jeos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hukVYaczKY

You have a strong aggressive Link, good jab cancels and OoS (Out of Shield). The main thing your aggressive Link style needs to improve is spacing. You attacked too close and that is when Snake got Ftilts and grabs for a lot of damage (2:51). Snake has great disjointed reach which he used in situations like at 0:43. Link should never attack close enough to land in the opponent's grab range.

Another thing to be aware of is you unnecessarily closed the distance when you probably could have out-spammed that Snake.

Don't sacrifice stage control for quick attack chains like in 0:13 when you Bair over Snake and landed on the edge. Snake could have been pressured with little room to move. Both you and your opponent have aggressive styles and could wait to punish at several times. Notably for offstage interceptions (like at 2:25, 3:07, and 3:26 ). At 1:20 you rolled towards Snake which let him grab. When recovering or dodging you're vulnerable so retreats are usually better.

Some patterns I saw were Zair covering landings, which can be good but was often too close; remember Fair, Nair and bombs. You directly attack with one projectile at a time- use arrows and boomerang to support bombs.

To summarize: Work on tip-of-attack spacing, camping/spamming, and punishing at the right time.

Good match. Sorry, I only have time to watch one now.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
Thaks a lot for your critique, it helped a lot.

I'll focus more on my stage control and to keep the momentum of the battle to my side.

About to getting close to my opponentn well yeah thats a bad habit that still haunt me and it really pisses me off, but it's hard to get rid of it :/ , also I'm planning on moving to the adaptative link style so please guide me into that way.

If you can, help me with the second match, I lost that and need an external opinion of my gameplay.

Again, thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom