• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uses of Every Move

SSS

Smash Ace
Sup, suckers. I want y'all to share how you use every individual move. When to use it, what it can lead to, etc. I'll do mine later. Then I'll put the things y'all say in this post so that we and others can check this out when wondering how to fully maximize the potential of Kirby and his moves.

Jab:
Up-Tilt:
Forward-Tilt:
Down-Tilt:
Dash-Attack:

Up-Smash:
Forward-Smash:
Down-Smash:

Neutral-Air:
Up-Air:
Forward-Air:
Back-Air:
Down-Air:

Inhale:
Final Cutter:
Hammer:
Rock:

Up-Throw:
Forward-Throw:
Back-Throw:
Down-Throw:
Grab-Release:

Also why are we not calling his Dash-Attack Fire Dash? Come on, people. We already have Wavedashing and Dashdancing, and as Kirbies we have Cutter Dash. Get it together.

Last edited:

Ghee

Smash Rookie
I'll try to start us off.

Up-Tilt: Up-tilt can lead into more uptilts on fast fallers. If they DI away you can short hop bair, if they DI towards you can short hop nair. Sometimes you can go for an upair but its not the fastest more Kirby's got.

Dash-Attack: If they get popped up correctly, you can chain directly into uptilt at lower percents. If not, you can reach for the upair or a nair if they're nearer to you. Of course, if they DI away at low % you can just dash attack again.

Neutral-Air: At low percents, it chains into itself (you can just jump and nair again before histun ends). If they DI behind you, bair them. Sometimes you can go for an upair as well. At certain percent ranges you can chase with an aerial cutter dash.

Up-Air: At low percents you can jump again into a nair, while at higher percents you can attempt to juggle with more upairs. If you get the horizontal hitbox you can try to combo into bair at lower percents.

Forward-Air: If you hit with the first or second kick and l-cancel the move before the third kick connects, you can combo into a grab (and see what you can do from there).

Back-Air: Bair into bair into bair (wall of pain). It also combos into nair (seems like everything combos into nairs and bairs the way I play kirby).

Down-Air: If done into the ground, you can l-cancel into an uptilt and continue your combo. If off-stage you can try to fast fall with them and dair again (you can make it back to stage bc kirby)

Inhale: suicide :)

Final Cutter: The horizontal cutter puts you behind them if spaced correctly, which allows you to bair immediately. If you short hop into cutter, this is a pretty safe option. If not spaced as well, you might end up right on top of them but luckily you can nair right out of it. You can reverse cutter off the ledge and it will meteor anyone trying a high recovery above you. You can also cancel the cutter into the projectile off the ledge (as in, you won't do the upwards motion and downwards slash) but I can't really explain how.

Rock: Can sometimes chain into nair, uair, or even hammer. Personally I don't use this move too much.

Up-Throw: With bad DI it can combo into upair or bair but usually nothing.
Forward-Throw: Gets them offstage and sets up an edge guard. Thats it.
Back-Throw: Gets them offstage and sets up an edge guard. Thats it.

Down-Throw:
This move needs to be thoroughly examined, I think. On fast fallers, it's a tech chase but can be tough with kirby to pull off. On floaty characters you can short hop nair at lower percents and upsmash at higher percents (or bair). Depends on DI obviously. Sometimes you can go for a regrab as well, but I need to test this out with a human partner. Regardless, this is a great grab and I would spam it until you learn what it can lead into.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
To much to check for typos and grammar. I have probably forgotten somethings. I fine with dash attack because everyone will know what you mean and good idea for this thread SSS.

Jab: use to to reset someone for another grab, single punch to stop them from doing what they were starting to do then grab, tilt, or smash. Very rarely go for jab spam, but it does happen.
UTilt: combos into itself, leads into any aerial of your choosing.
FTilt: when i want to get someone away from me, when they high enough % to die from it or hits them far enough way off the edge to start a gimp.
DTilt: get someone away from me, when I need a long range ground move, knock them off edge, when i'm hugging the ground to dodge something.
Dash attack: Approach and tech that is to far to grab. Combo with uptilt or another dash attack at low%, combo into Uair and Nair well at high % and can lead to kill.

Usmash: mainly use this with dthrow to kill. Can combo into itself at low %.
Fsmash: kill move, can be used with dthrow to kill.
Dsmash: kill move, has last hitbox, able to duck under some attack if timed right plus crouch cancel, and sends at great angle for side kills.

Nair: shorthop approach with it, use out of shield, kill at very high %, escape from juggle, combos into itself, and for characters like samus i use it right after dthrow.
Uair: kill move, can send people behind you (if hit at end of it), combos into itself at low %, using platform can combo it into Utilt back into Uair.
Fair: Use it to approach and grab as long as 3rd hit doesn't hit, can combo into itself several time for wall of pain, and ledge hop attack. Can kill with 3rd hit.
Bair: my absolute favorite move of kirby. Used for spacing, gimping, killing blow, combo into itself for wall of pain.
Dair: can combo into Utilt with L cancel. Use it a lot to gimp people.

Inhale: If i prefer the special power over inhale i use that, chain inhales, short hop it for approach, stopping a speedy characters, inhale walk to edge and let them wiggle out and gimp them, jump off the edge inhale fall some spit out fly back or fall to deck, put the fear of kirbycide into them so they will let me return easier, Ledge hop inhale kirbycide, bthrow to inhale kirbycide. Make sure you remember you can turn your inhale around in the air right as you starting the inhale, this is useful for people who try to avoid kirbycide from below or chain inhales.

Final Cutter: use it for projectile, to mix up cutter dash a little, and to try and catch someone that would be to hit for me to continue a combo.
Cutter dash: approach, recovery (can use airdodge afterwards), combo start/continue. If spaced right ground cutter dash can be comboed into fsmash of fast fallers. Short hop to add an aerial of some sort to the end of it or can waveland out of it.
Hammer: Use it as aerial most of time, ledge hop attack, and i use the ground hammer to surprise people for a kill. Been able to bthrow of edge into aerial hammer at certain %s.
Rock: movement, juggle stopper, and use it to start a combo into itself, or aerial. With possible can combo into Uair kill with fastfallers. Use it for unexpected attack and sometimes use it grounded for armor and to send them a good horizontal angle.

Uthrow: low % allows for inhale or nair, low mid % can combo with Uair, if they DI well away you can catch them with cutter dash.
Fthrow: able to combo by immediately using Uair or Fair to regrab at 0-18% on some characters, with waveland possible to regrab as well. Mid % only good for surprise throw """HOPING""" for bad DI punish or to throw off edge. Usually just use for throwing off edge after low %.
Bthrow: Low % can inhale for kirbycide, low mid % can combo into hammer. Throwing them off the edge.
Dthrow: Tech chasing, chain grabs on certain characters like kirby, high % on certain character read Usmash or Fsmash for kill.
Grabrelease: I only do this with inhale for characters that are gimpable like Fox. Can also inhale sonic from his UpB and by grab releasing he will fall to his death.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Jab: Has its moments when you need a fast attack, not much else to say
Up-Tilt: JUGGLE ALL THE THINGS
Forward-Tilt: POKE ALL THE THINGS
Down-Tilt: POKE ALL THE THINGS (while protected by the best crouch in the game)
Dash-Attack: It gets you around, it punishes openings, and it can usually combo into some move depending on character/percent... most useful when not spammed

Up-Smash: A free kill on floaties when done after a D-Throw, I don't really do anything else with it :(
Forward-Smash: Slow and satisfying... I normally use it when I know I'm going to out-prioritize the other person's move or catch a blind spot in their spacing, I tend to angle it downward to punish bad recoveries
Down-Smash: The semi-spike hit and its horizontal coverage give it a good niche and its speed makes it a decent GTFO move, but it has a ton of end lag so it's best used to catch a spot dodge or when you know you'll land it

Neutral-Air: The perfect GTFO move: It will gimp anything, lead in anything, and get you out of bad situations... you rarely have a reason not to use it
Up-Air: One of my favorite kill moves and tons of fun to juggle with if you can set up for it... 15% is nothing to sneeze at
Forward-Air: I think this move is sorely underrated, because it deals a whopping 17% total and it comes out decently fast, plus being a multihit attack makes it useful for catching someone who spams dodges, and at low percents it can combo into itself or a Hammer. Not to mention the last hit is actually a pretty decent kill move if you're struggling to land a B-Air/U-Air/Hammer/Smash.
Back-Air: Much disjoint. Very speed. Such combo ability. Much gimp angle. Wow.
Down-Air: I will confess I spam this way too much, but it's because I love that 18% damage and I want to try out doing new things with it. At the moment, I only really use it to gimp offstage or combo into grabs/tilts.

Inhale: I don't use it as a mixup nearly enough, I always go for stealing powers or Kirbycide
Final Cutter: I find myself using the normal Cutter as a mixup every now and then. I used to spam the hell out of Cutter Rush, but I only use it for recovery and approach mixups after coming to realize how unsafe it is.
Hammer: Another move I spam way too much, but that tipper is all too tempting. Air Hammer is like the perfect attack when you have enough time to space it just right and you need its disjoint in order to beat someone else's moves. Ground Hammer I only ever use to punish missed techs. :/
Stone: I seriously need to do more offensively with this move... right now, I just abuse its speed to escape juggles and mix up my high recovery

Up-Throw: I feel like you can only really follow it up against fast-fallers, bad DI, or both. N-Air, B-Air, and Cutter Rush are the tools of choice for that.
Forward-Throw: Oh look, a useless throw
Back-Throw: Yay for getting people off the stage :D
Down-Throw: Yay for tech chases and comboing into U-Smash on floaties ^_^
Grab-Release: Only really useful against fast-fallers at the edge

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I was actually going to make a thread like this, but you beat me to it :/ Ill give you as much knowledge as i know, and trust me... after playing around with Kirby a lot, i know A LOT about his whole moveset. Some "useless" moves, are actually useful if you use them right, which a lot of people dont get. So Ill do my best.

Inhale: inhale has tons more uses than kirbycide or copy. Think of it similar to how Wario players use chomp, or Bowser players use koopa claw. It's really good to mix up this move when the opponent expects an attack so it goes through shield and does 10% it also beats most moves in the game, ex. All of Sonics specials, squirtles side b, luigis down b, Wario's side b, Bowser and DK's Up-B, and the list goes on.

Final Cutter: A mixup for the cutter dash, and will almost always hit because they'll expect a Cutter Dash. Sends a projectile to help for edgeguarding. Best used on the ledge, ledge cancelled FC forces them to tech chase which could then lead into a punish if you react/read them correctly. Can also meteor if you grab the ledge backwards when using it, which sets up for amazing edge guard opportunities if they meteor cancel it.

Cutter Dash: Other than the approach potential this move has, it can help with combos. Ive comboed this after an up-tilt and then comboed this into a hammer on certain characters at like 60% and killed. It can cancel laglessly into slopes where you can grab or w/e. Can also cancel lag on the edge of a stage, i recommend Kirbies should all know how to do this consecutively.

Rock: Amazing combo potential. No one uses it, which is sad. It works basically like Falcon's dair that can be used multiple times. Can combo into hammer or aerial hammer pretty reliably at around 50-60% (falling speed dependent) and can kill if your on the edge. Best used if you edguard them and they have to recover back onto the stage. I also think there is a use to this to use kinda like a dair, bait your opponent by jumping over them and punishing with this move. It looks noob, but its way more effective since rock is a lot faster.

Utilt: Really good move. Has more range than it looks like it has. Beats out a lot of moves, and clanks with almost everything else. Can juggle, set up for kills, or w/e. Basically sheik's ftilt in utilt form. :)

Usmash: I love this move. Isnt no Fox usmash, but has power. Kills reliably below 100% on characters who arent heavy or fast fallers. Really good anti air if you time it right. Use a lot out of sheild.

Fsmash: Beats a ton of moves (may list these later) and is good for killing. Very similar to Falco's fsmash, but better.

Dsmash: Ill guess that this is his fastest smash. Its really good for edgeguarding since it sends the opponent at a horizontal angle if they dont sweetspot.

Uair: The combo move. SH AC uair can juggle like every character and sets up for kills relatively easily. The single most reason I think Kirby has better combo potential than Falcon just because of the angle it does. It also can kill pretty easily, and can semi-spike if you hit them with the back end which is best used as an edgeguard.

Bair: Although Kirby has better aerials now, bair is still very good. It can be wavelanded out of, auto-cancels a mere frames after the hitbox is inactive, can help in spacing, zoning, and can kill.

Fair: Kirby's main approach move in Melee, and can still be used effectively as an approach in PM too. It can AC after a SH which really leaves barely any room for you opponent to hit you. Combo's pretty nicely. Can L-cancel it into grabs. Its basically a Falcon Nair with less range, use it alot like he does, but mix it up more since you have more options.

Dair: I think this move might have invinciblity on the tips toes or something, because I've straight out beaten some crazy **** with this move lmao (like the beginning of Ness' PKT2). Can combo into a foostool if you position yourself right, transforming this move into a true spike. Pretty good approach move. Can trick your opponent that you'll be in a position to attack them if you full hop with it. (since you can either jump, or it auto cancels). A lot like Fox's or Mario's dair, but better.

Fthrow: Very underrated move. Does much more than being "useless" or to "set up for and edgeguard". It sets up for DJ Fair, Hammer at around 70% and kills, CD if they DI down which could then be comboed into more aerials, and probably more. It IS better than up-throw,more so at mid %s. People need to realize the combo potential in this. People will want this move nerfed after people start using it lmao.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Inhale: inhale has tons more uses than kirbycide or copy. Think of it similar to how Wario players use chomp, or Bowser players use koopa claw. It's really good to mix up this move when the opponent expects an attack so it goes through shield and does 10% it also beats most moves in the game, ex. All of Sonics specials, squirtles side b, luigis down b, Wario's side b, Bowser and DK's Up-B, and the list goes on.
Works on diddy's UpB to!

Last edited:
Top Bottom