• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unpopular Fighters Thread

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Is Lip from Panel de Pon unpopular?

She has a decent amount of support, but in the face of the sheer amount of potential DLC candidates, let alone all the super popular ones, it's easy to make a claim that she is "unpopular" by comparison. In truth, she's not, but her support just pales compared to the big ones because not as many people know who she is or grew up with her game.

Because of the massive amount of candidates (realistic or not) as well as the popular picks I think some culling of the hordes has to be done, so naturally the first ones out are meme garbage or tertiary/quaternary characters who haven't been seen in years (I'm talking about Baldi from Baldi's Basics, or characters like Boshi and Toadsworth). DLC candidates are mostly down to either new unrepresented franchises, which means LEAD protagonists, or characters of secondary importance to an existing franchise, I.E. main antagonists. So just as an example: Sonic gets added. If a second Sonic character is going to happen then it is likely going to be Eggman as he is the most important character in the franchise next to Sonic. Otherwise, whenever they go for new unrepresented franchises, they always go for 'face of the series' characters first.

The way I see it the hierarchy of new character additions goes like this:

Main protagonist > main antagonist > secondary protagonist > all the rest.

Except for, you know, Fire Emblem, but who cares about that franchise.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Regarding Capcom, i really really really would love ammateratsu. but i don't see her happening, :c
Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry and Phoenix Wright all probably would make more of an impact.

Oh, and speaking of capcom... Morrigan Aensland.
yeah, at least Terry makes me feel that is not completely impossible that a past glory character makes it in... but Morrigan shares the Capcom curse with Ammy...
at least she could be considered the queen of crossover games... and have the luxury of being one of the most prominent characters of a long dead series...(Darkstalkers 4 plz? T.T)

Oh, and also Guilty Gear character and Soul Calibur character...

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Ivan from Devil's Third. His game's title is in the game, but he himself is not nor anything from his game. I like him and his game and it got awesome music like C4's theme, "Bleed Out".

He isn't discussed much nor does he even have his own thread. I wish Nintendo would release his game on the Nintendo Switch along with the excellent multiplayer mode like they doing for other games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE. I feel Devil's Third should get another chance.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised Viewtiful Joe doesn't have a support thread. Back in the Smash 4 speculation days he was a semi-popular pick. I guess it has something to do with Capcom ditching the franchise, and a similar "henshin" character appearing as a first-party replacement in The Wonderful 101.

Top Bottom