• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Umbra Clock Tower

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
Well, Delfino and Castle Siege have walk-offs which is usually a big no-no competitively (plus water for the former), and Halberd has actual hazards...

Umbra Clock Tower doesn't have any of that (unless some parts of the stage cause damage in movement, which likely won't last long). Honestly the worst that could happen is several solid platforms showing up at once making it very hard to launch.
Some people were saying that characters were hit during the trailer of the stage so I was just going off of that. If it's like how you said it then it shouldn't be a problem at all

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
The only real issue I think the stage is going to have is it was made obvious by the direct that some of the platforms are solid. However the bosses look to be just decoration so we might just have a legal stage. I hope it's legal, I want it to be legal.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The only real issue I think the stage is going to have is it was made obvious by the direct that some of the platforms are solid. However the bosses look to be just decoration so we might just have a legal stage. I hope it's legal, I want it to be legal.
I'm pretty sure in the original game the bosses on the stage where there as decorations at points as well. I may be wrong cos I haven't played that chapter in months.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone explain to me why some(or all platforms) being solid would be detrimental for competitive play? You can choose to tech or let yourself bounce to mix people up, grabbeable edges would only add strategy to the way you move around.

What I mean is, there's no luck factor involved in any of this! everything is affected by the player's action and it isn't like walkoffs where the smallest sheik fair can lead to a stock.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Even if for some silly reason this is not counted as a viable stage in dem big tourneys.... to me it will always be and I shall use it as such.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The stage is literally a flat platform outside of the floating platforms that appear every so often, so if tourneys want this to be legal and the floating platforms are a problem, just Omega form it. Problem solved.

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
The platforms won't be an issue, I actually have a lot of confidence that this will actually be a really good stage for competitive play. If people seriously can't bother themselves with polishing up their ability to tech, ceiling or otherwise, to the point where this stage is automatically dismissed under the guise of "jank platforms", then I can finally say that I have witnessed the highest form of collective laziness mankind has ever witnessed.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I thought people are worried about the platforms BECAUSE you can tech on them, creating a pseudo-cave of life like on Temple. Though since the platforms are temporary it's likely that it won't be an issue.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Wow, this is probably my new favourite stage in the game, the music and atmosphere are just perfect. And the omega version of the stage actually looks AMAZING!

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to face a Sonic or Villager on a stage where they have all day to run and camp, and don't die because of random caves of life and random places they can use to extend their longevity due to having even MORE options available for recovery.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
As I expected, as with Ryu's respective thingy I just can't seem to do her Side B to go downwards.

It's impossible for my hands. Ah well. Still maining...

Last edited:

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
From the looks of it, the platforms that appear are no worse than the ones in the Animal Crossing stages. There is only one real solid platform, that appears very, very briefly and just keeps moving from one side of the screen across and off the other side. This particular platform is also angled so that jumping up under it causes it to push you to one of its ledges.

The only other "solid" platform appears under the stage, and it's one that you can pass through the bottom but not through the top. Also, that one you can grab the ledges of.

One of the platform arrangements does have two walk-off platforms, but these won't drag you off the side. When they disappear, they go up, and all the platforms that disappear upward all drop players once they reach a certain height. There are only two platforms that disappear off the sides, those being the solid and half-passable ones I mentioned above.

I can confirm that the angels that appear are not stage hazards, just decoration.

Speaking of decoration, the clock's face happens to match real time. Just a neat detail.

Wolfie557 Wolfie557 Wrong thread, maybe?

jet56

Smash Journeyman
god i hope this stage is legal. its almost a psuedo FD with occasional platforms floating around here and there.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
The only reason I think it might not be legal is sometimes the platforms go under the stage and then that may serve as a temporary cave of life. I'm not sure but from what I've seen this is ether gonna be the most boring banned stage or the most exciting legal stage.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to face a Sonic or Villager on a stage where they have all day to run and camp, and don't die because of random caves of life and random places they can use to extend their longevity due to having even MORE options available for recovery.
Just ban it.

Edit: The Clock creates a almost unnoticible elevation, significant enought so :4pikachu: can QAC on it.

Last edited:

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
So what's the verdict on this stage? Has their been an official decision on whether or not the stage is legal? IMO, it reminds me of ps1 from melee. I'm cool with it being a counterpick.

Megamang

Smash Lord
There aren't really official decisions made here, its up to your local TO to determine whether they want it legal or not at their tournament.

Top Bottom