• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Umbra Clock Tower

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So... Bayonetta's stage is amazing.

But i have some questions related to it.

Do you guys think any of the Angels will be hazards on the stage? Or will the only hazards on this stage be the floating platforms moving off screen?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Considering that Sakurai stated that angels like Fortitudo will only make a guest appearance, it seems that this stage is hazard free.

And AWESOME too.

David Viran

Smash Lord
If the angels were stage hazards they most likely would have showcased it during the direct. I mean they always have bar ridley.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
True. Especially since PotD isn't a thing anymore and there wont be anything Smash related in directs anymore.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I think it's pretty safe to say the 'guests' have manners and don't attack.
My only concern is the possibility that the cliff does damage to you if you fall on it ala MK8's track. That would delegalize the stage so fast... And I RRREEEEAAAALLY want this stage to be legal. It's the most georgous stage in the game, and I'm hype for it almost as much if not the same amout as Bayo herself.

and believe me: I'm hype for Bayonetta.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
The stage will be legal unless 2 things happen:
Something in the background hurts someone's eyes for whatever reason (bright flash on FD)
Something in the background can clip a player (Skyloft, Wuhu)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Better be legal, I'll still jam to "Let's Dance Boys" either way

verbatim

Smash Ace
My only concern is the possibility that the cliff does damage to you if you fall on it ala MK8's track. That would delegalize the stage so fast.
I saw that too during the trailer, though I don't think it's an immediate disqualification. MK8 Has walk offs, a bunch of non-competitive-conducive sets, and the track replaces one of the four blast zones significantly more frequently.

People might ban it just to be conservative, but if there's no stage hazards I don't see anything wrong with giving players a chance to tech a would-be-fatal hit in one part of one rotation off of one blast zone.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I support Clock tower being legal

I support clock tower in any way, shape or form,

I just like clock towers in video games...just look at the retro castlevanias. the clock tower is always the best part ;-)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I just noticed that, even though it releases at the same time as Bayo, Umbra Clock Tower is still not listed on the official site's DLC section.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I just noticed that, even though it releases at the same time as Bayo, Umbra Clock Tower is still not listed on the official site's DLC section.
Like Midgar and Suzaku Castle, Umbra Clock Tower is listed with Bayonetta, not in the DLC section.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I went over the trailer presentation numerous times. But did im sure Sakurai said some guest appearances? or is that Fortitudo and Inspiring are the only angels making appearances? Wouldn't mind looking at Sword face angel! Valiant?? I think.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I went over the trailer presentation numerous times. But did im sure Sakurai said some guest appearances? or is that Fortitudo and Inspiring are the only angels making appearances? Wouldn't mind looking at Sword face angel! Valiant?? I think.
The only named ones. You can see the human sized angels in the background as well.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the human-sized angels have names too. Something that starts with "A". Aspire or something like that? I've only played a bit of Bayonetta (it's on my to-do list) so my knowledge of the series is a bit spotty.

I think it's unlikely that the angels will attack the stage since Sakurai seems to love showing off hazards like that. (Except Ridley, the tease.) So the lack of such a demonstration suggests that there's no danger. The cliff face knocking you away is the only other potential source of damage. Moving platforms are bread and butter for Smash, although one or more being solid may raise some eyebrows. That said, they all move around, so camping potential is basically nil.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
The human size angels are called Affinity.

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
Long time since I last been been here... Anyways, this stage is really amazing.... For those who plays in tournaments (I'm not one of them) The Umbra Clock Tower is most likely banned because they are hazards in the stage though. There is a split second in the trailer where Fortitudo dragon's head attacked Cereza.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Long time since I last been been here... Anyways, this stage is really amazing.... For those who plays in tournaments (I'm not one of them) The Umbra Clock Tower is most likely banned because they are hazards in the stage though. There is a split second in the trailer where Fortitudo dragon's head attacked Cereza.
What? I never saw anything like that happen and I've seen the trailer multiple times.

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
Nevermind, made a very honest mistake, a big one at that. So I apologize... A character got attacked by a descending After Burner attack. Oops... That's what I get for "over analyzing"

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I could see a problem though. Unless my terrible eyes are being stupid. In the showcase, I think it was Zelda who got attacked and bounced off one of the platforms. But the someone jumped through it... Okay, Corrin got hit and bounced off. But maybe the bulkier platforms do that. Maybe it has a set time? Or an are on it where you can bounce off of it. But it can be grabbed. Someone help plz. I cant tell if this is something to worry about. I really want this stage legal.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I could see a problem though. Unless my terrible eyes are being stupid. In the showcase, I think it was Zelda who got attacked and bounced off one of the platforms. But the someone jumped through it... Okay, Corrin got hit and bounced off. But maybe the bulkier platforms do that. Maybe it has a set time? Or an are on it where you can bounce off of it. But it can be grabbed. Someone help plz. I cant tell if this is something to worry about. I really want this stage legal.
It's likely just the bulkier platforms that cause trouble.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I do not see how big floaty platform that only appear for a short amount of time outrule clocktower as a legal stage, when we have delphino with walkoffs and halberd with cannonballs, lasers and arms legal.

Sure, you can combo off of those walls, but they only appear for a short amount of time...

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
My guess is if there is any stage hazards tourneys don't like (cliffs, bulky platforms causing tunnels of life) there's always the Omega version of a level to look forward to. It would be weird for it NOT to have an Omega, but whether the Omega would still be that of a falling clocktower or not up for speculation.

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
I do not see how big floaty platform that only appear for a short amount of time outrule clocktower as a legal stage, when we have delphino with walkoffs and halberd with cannonballs, lasers and arms legal.

Sure, you can combo off of those walls, but they only appear for a short amount of time...
Actually, most major events no longer have Delfino, Halberd, and Castle Siege as legal stages, so that can actually be a problem.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually, most major events no longer have Delfino, Halberd, and Castle Siege as legal stages, so that can actually be a problem.
Well, Delfino and Castle Siege have walk-offs which is usually a big no-no competitively (plus water for the former), and Halberd has actual hazards...

Umbra Clock Tower doesn't have any of that (unless some parts of the stage cause damage in movement, which likely won't last long). Honestly the worst that could happen is several solid platforms showing up at once making it very hard to launch.

Top Bottom