• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The trick to SHFFLing and SHBing

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
Hey, everybody. I've mastered most of the advanced techniques of Smash, but I can't seem to get the SHFFL and SHB down. What's the trick to do so many moves so fast? I can short hop, fast fall, and (usually) L-cancel with easy, but after that I don't see how it's possible to fit in an aerial, much less a laser or an L-cancel after that. Do most people need start fast falling too late at first, or do they just have too slow fingers to manage to hit the aerial in time? What order do you SSHFL and SHB? Okay, I suupose the SHFFL is pretty self-explanatory (SH, FF, L-Cancel), but for the SHB, do you laser or FF first? Are there any tips you guys can give?

By the way, I usually play Marth, but I'm trying out Fox, Falco, and Jigglypuff as well. Dear God, figuring out all the Shine techniques (the only other thing I can't do, or at least haven't tried to) is gonna suck. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and one more miscellaneous question: how do you guys record your smash videos? I want to start, but I don't have a good video camera and directly recording the TV with one gives the flicker effect as well.

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE! GAH! I try to SHFFL this way: I do a short hop, then wait all the way until the top of the jump. Here, I mash down on the control stick, then in about an eighth of a second move the control stick to the side, hit A, then tap L with a few frames left before hitting the ground. Obviously, this does not work. I must be doing something wrong, because there's no way my fingers can move that fast starting at the fast fall.

For the SHB, I short hop, move to the side, laser, then fast fall. The problem is, you have to do it all so fast that it links my moving to the side with me pressing B, making me perform the illusion attack. How does anyone do these? :mad: :confused: :( :urg:

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
Gotcha; that should make this a WHOLE lot easier. Thanks!

Oh, and did SHL used to be called SHB? I swear I've heard the term before.

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
Well, I guess while I have a thread out, I'll ask a couple more questions. Probably nobody will see them, but I'll try to not clutter up the forums.

Okay, first, like in the original post, how would you recommend recording smash videos? Right now, it looks like I'm going to buy a PVR-150 TV tuner, stick it in my computer, and run MythTV to record. Then the cables will go like this:

Wii->PVR-150
Graphics Card->TV

Is that a common setup, or do most people record their videos with a simple camera or other method?

Second, how do you incorporate the C-stick into your playing? I've never used it, but a lot of people seem to think it's essential. How are you even supposed to reach it without taking your hand off the other buttons?

Last, can I get any advice on hitting people in midair? I use Marth, and whenever I go out to spike somebody, I end up falling to my death.

Thanks so much (if anyone sees this)!

sagemoon

Smash Lord
idk about your first question. But your second. C-stick ariels can help with di during the jump. Some ppl prefer to use it some ppl prefer not to. Once you get faster fingers and good timing, you will be able to do a short hop forward air, and then another forward air before you hit the ground. C-sticking is almost necissary here because if you wanna follow up with a u-air or something I find it easier to use the C-stick. And yes, you have to take your thumb away from the buttons and stretch it to the c stick when using it.

For your third question i find it helpful to jump right before you down air so you can recover. (it will help when you get your finger speed up on this one). Also you might be fast falling when you go off the edge seeing how you dont use the c-stick. The whole C-stick thing is tricky. I mean you definately have to use it with marth, but its situational when to.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the c-stick, as, sage said helps with DI
it is impossible to, for example, peform a F-air while moving backwards without using the C-stick
The C-stick also is great for getting off quick smash attack with no chance of whiffing them
as for reaching it, i mean flickin the C-stick is pretty quick, and the Cstick is not that far away from the other buttons, so its really easy...for me its quicker just to flick a knob than to press a button...you have to be quick...but having quick fingers is essential to being great at this game anyway, so its really no thing.
as for d-airs...as sage said, using smash Down-A to spike always makes your character fast fall, marths dair has a lot of windown lag, so you should really only attempt it when your high above the stage...another thing you can try is to not "smash down A" but "Tilt Down A"...very lightly press down instead of just mashing it down and A, and you should spike with out fast falling

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I generally tilt down-A, but I think I still fastfall sometimes. I'll try to get used to the C-stick. Thanks!

So, nobody's up for the video question? I'll just post a new topic in the videos forum, I guess.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the video question. Im not totally sure what you're trying to say in your setup there, as 've never heard of hooking a graphics card directly up to a television (?).. so i won't even go there. But i can at least tell you my experience, as i just recently got my whole setup down and started recording matches. I find a particularly effective method is to just get one of those video capture cards with either a cable or AV-cable port, and hook it to both computer and TV (if you're using the AV method, you might need a VCR intermediate if your TV doesnt have AV in AND AV out.) I bought a higher framerate card, so it only had cable rather than AV. If you go this route, its fairly simple. You just use the cable hookup (i hope they have one for wii..?) and run it through a cable splitter to both the television and your capture card, and.. thats it. If i can clarify anything lemme know.

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
Quak, I have no idea what you're talking about. You can clearly see that it says "most," and I most certainly did not edit it :chuckle: .

OK, it was a typo.

Top Bottom