• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Training Grounds - Link critique thread

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Not too much to state here, it's exactly what the title says.

This thread is aimed at self-improvement for whoever wishes to do so. Post vids, discuss whatever, etc.

I'll get the ball rolling with my part of that crew battle.

I think I did well during the start of the first stock. I lost it from there and didn't continue aggression. He started jumping around and using platforms and I never started a proper platform game. I really think I could've done a lot more work on the Bowser and had more stocks left for Yoshi. As for Yoshi, I'm not sure what to say other than that Dsmash took me by surprise.

Alrighty then, let's keep this going for anyone who'd like to improve; and do try to not derail too much, if possible.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I'm a little disappointed to not see activity here, let's see if this bump helps.

This is a match from a tourney in Omaha, NE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0U3qi06lb4

I think I have an issue with respecting my opponent too much (G'dorf does not help with this issue, he scares me more than any other character). I also see myself getting hit with lots of derpy air attacks. I eagerly await critique from anyone, I want to improve greatly. Don't forget you can post your own matches in this thread for advice from others as well.

bagsntrane

Smash Cadet
I will post a video very soon. I am very new to "serious" melee play(3weeks) and I would love to for all players that are better than me to comment and help me improve

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Glad to hear.

Please use Skler's Video Critique thread when you do, as it was revived after this was made. Also, if a mod could delete this thread, that would be fine with me.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
I'm also trying to get into more serious play; I never wavedash, struggle with constant shffl'ing, and 50% of the time I forget to L-cancel (and 35% of the time I do remember I mess up the timing anyways). My biggest issue is I have no one good to play against, I only know two people who know how to play and neither of them have even heard of tech, DI, or SH for that matter.

So my question is: How should I go about practicing (especially combos), and what adv techniques should I really work on first (I'm assuming L-canceling) + any tips for them?

<3

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
If you have a second controller, plug it in and do an infinite time match on a stage of your choice, and simply grind out everything you want to practice. Try to get 100% consistent with everything, even if it takes hours. Maybe make a list to work with as you grind.

I say this as opposed to training mode solely so that you can use the cstick to practice.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the idea, I normally use Lv1 comps. What are like, the top 3-5 most important things you think I should perfect first? Or just do everything at once?

One other question: For link's Jab -> Jab -> Dsmash combo, do you guys use the C-stick or analog+A? When I try it with the C-stick it seems slow and I'm sometimes punished before I can get it out. :/

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Consistent, fluid movement that is exactly how you intend to move. Basically incoorperating everything smoothly together. Being able to move quickly when you need to is a good thing, imo.

As for the Jab > Jab > Dsmash, don't quote me on this but I believe you can do a small psuedo-jab-cancel by holding down+back at the end of the jab animation (if I'm correct, the animation should end a few frames early, allowing you to follow up sooner), after the cancel has occured [release the analog to neutral? not sure if required] do a Dsmash (if you don't need to release the stick to neutral for the Cstick to be able to output a Dsmash, Cstick should be more efficient, otherwise I would think the choice of method is trivial).

I do not know if Jab > Jab > Dsmash is ever a true combo to begin with, and I don't actually know if that pseudo-jab-cancel works. If someone else would like to confirm/correct this infomation, please do.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Thanks! I'll play around with it in 1/4 or 1/2 speed in training mode to see if there's any apparent difference.

As for what you said about it not being a true combo, would you more highly recommend Jab > Jab > Turn > Utilt? I've seen this used before and it seems to not only be very fluid but also sets up nicely for further combo and/or juggling.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Slo-mo dabess.

Well, like I said, I don't know, so it would require testing to see if either of those are true combos. They might or might not be, it might also depend on lots of other factors such as opponent damage percent and character fall speed, DI/SDI, etc.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Let me start by saying, testing C-stick techniques in Training mode = no. >_>

But after much testing in Multiplayer, holding down and using the C-stick definitely speeds things up I'm assuming because you crouch cancel the jab animation.

As for the Jab -> Jab -> Turn -> Utilt, every time I've tried it comes out significantly slower than Dsmash and is harder b/c of tap jump, however it does set up very well for combos.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the idea, I normally use Lv1 comps. What are like, the top 3-5 most important things you think I should perfect first? Or just do everything at once?
For Link, L-Cancelling is CRUCIAL, but it is not the first thing I'd work on as you start up when playing by yourself. It is ALWAYS better to learn with a partner, but this is for when playing on your own. Here is my two cents on a "top-5"...

#1. Short-hopping: This is step number one for most characters, and Link is no different. Consistently short-hopping leads into advanced techniques, Links best attacks, and better mobility. This step includes short-hopping consistently both forwards and back, short-hop aerials (especially N-air), short-hop OOS, fast-falling from short-hop, and short-hop bomb pulls and boomerang throws. I am also going to throw Dash Dancing in here because I can.

#2. L-Cancelling: Once you have #1 down, AND ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE IT DOWN WELL, move on to L-Cancel. L-Cancel is most prevalent during D-airs and U-airs, so practice those first. Once you have those down, learn how to spot the difference between what an L-Cancelled N-air/F-air looks like from a non L-Cancelled attack, and practice that. (Use slow motion at first if needed).

#3: Shffling: Everyday I'm :). This is step #2, but doing it better. This is the step where it may get frustrating. The other two steps will probably have come quickly, but applying this step will, in a competitive sense, make or break you as a smasher. You have come this far and learned a lot; don't quit.

#4: OOS options: I put this in there to separate #3 and #5. This is a fun step where you actually learn some fun attacks that are HUGE for link. GROUNDED Up-B OOS (until you stop doing it in the air), Shield Grabbing, N-air OOS, Bomb-throw OOS, Spot-dodge/DSmash OOS, etc. Go wild because a Link stuck in his shield is no Link you want to be!

#5: Wave Dash/Wave Landing: Just like #3, this will take a while. Get the wave dash down first. Use slow-motion if you need it at first (though for many, slow-motion hampers their progress here), FD, and a non-moving opponent, and just keep at it. Over and over...for like weeks. Even when you sort of have it down, you still aren't doing it right, keep at it. When you are ready for Wave Landing, go to YS or BF. Rinse and repeat, over and over.

Youtube these techniques if you want to see what they look like when done properly and compare them to your progress. If you make it this far, you are now ready for REAL combos, Rookie!

Top Bottom