• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Must Under Appreciated Villains

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1442]The Top 5 Must Under Appreciated Villains[/drupal]

Bad guys always make stuff more interesting. Face it, Mario just wouldn't be the same without Bowser. I was originally going to just write a top five list of the most awesome bad guys. But then I though, "you know, I'm going to write about the ones that don't get as much attention." So here you go, the top five most under appreciated villains.

5: Dark Bakura (Yu-Gi-Oh! (manga):

If you're a watcher of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, you'll know the running joke about Bakura never getting much screen time. I'll be honest, this is true in both Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters and in the manga. The reason why I choose the manga incarnation of this guy was because he was greatly toned down in all other versions. While in the anime he was just really really evil, in the manga he was somewhere between really evil and down right insane. There were a lot of scenes I could talk about that made this guy one of my favorites was the scene where he's standing over Pegasus' coprse holding the Millennium Eye. He starts to mockingly lick the blood off of it and says, "see you Hell, Pegasus."

4: Gul Madred (Star Trek: The Next Generation):

It's a shame that this guy was just a minor villain, because he was the villain of one of the best episodes in the series. In the episode "Chain of Command" Picard is captured by Cardasians who then proceed to have this guy interrogate him. Gul Madred then focuses on making Picard break by destroying his mental as well has his physical state. Throughout the episode, he asks him "how many lights are there?" as he turns on four lights. Picard says that he only see's four, but Gul Madred insists that there's five. Here's a clip from the very end of this episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU&feature=rec-HM-r2

3: Imhotep (The Mummy)

I'm not just saying this because I freaking loved The Mummy, I'm saying this because Imhotep was a bloody awesome bad guy. One thing that I liked about him in particular was how he really wans't that bad of a guy before the whole "getting eaten alive by the scarabs and being cursed for all eternity" thing. I mean really, all he wanted was to be with... the Pharaoh's girl and... um... okay, so he wasn't freaky genocide dude until they put a curse on him but still. Imhotep stands out as an excellent example of a good bad guy in my book.

2: Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI):

Clowns are scary, insane clowns with a political status are even more frightening. Kefka was an amazing villain who's spot was usurped by Sephiroth when Final Fantasy VII came out. It's a shame too, because this man was creepy, evil and almost... well, he's basically the Joker of Final Fantasy. And I just want to say this (WARNING! FINAL FANTASY VI SPOILERS AHEAD!), he did the whole "become a god" thing before Sephiroth did.

1: Creed Diskenth (Black Cat (anime):

If anyone ever asked me what I consider to be the perfect villain, I would point to Creed. I describe him as "semi-fabulous." For those of you who are confused on what I mean by that, look at characters like Pegasus J. Crawford from Yu-Gi-Oh or Zarbon from Dragonball Z, those are fabulous characters. I usually just get gay vibes from fabulous characters, but Creed was just fabulous enough to the point where instead of getting gay vibes, it comes off as really creepy. He's also down right insane, but not so insane to the point where he's the Joker, but just insane enough where you can only stare at him, kind of thrown off guard and a little creeped out.

Well, that's what I consider to be the five most under appreciated villains.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Haha. Creed. Black Cat. Man. You're awesome, I thought I was the only person knowing that manga/anime. <3

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, Black Cat is a great thing... I just found it a little awkward that Train has brown hair, not black hair. =P

finalark

SNORLAX
Yea, Black Cat is a great thing... I just found it a little awkward that Train has brown hair, not black hair. =P
I really found Eden to be kind of Trippy at the end of the series. And really, Black hair does fit Train better. The only thing I didn't like was how Train had a complete personality switch in just a few episodes.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The Eden arc is completely Anime. Manga is better than the anime (as usual), but the anime's still good.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, I know that Eden was an anime exclusive arc, but it was still kind of trippy. And when isn't the manga better than the anime?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I dunno. lol
I'm not much of a manga/anime nut, so I don't know much when it comes to those. I just saw Black Cat and was like... "zomg, someone knows that thing <3". One of my favourite mangas, and a good anime too.

finalark

SNORLAX
I dunno. lol
I'm not much of a manga/anime nut, so I don't know much when it comes to those. I just saw Black Cat and was like... "zomg, someone knows that thing <3". One of my favourite mangas, and a good anime too.
Same here with the whole "not being much of an anime/manga nut" thing. I've heard people say that Black Cat isn't a very good series, but I guess that's just the "classy" or "more-involved (obsessed)" fans.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Is Black Cat about cats? If so I would want to watch it.

And I think Ganondorf is an unappreciated villain because
his name sounds funny.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Wow, great job on the Gul Madred reference. The problem with him is that there's just so many better Cardassians, like Garak, Dukat, and Dumar. It's hard to compete with those three.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Keep in mind that a good villain is not measured solely by how evil or cool he is, but also by his characterization, believability, and a score of other things.

Take Kefka for example. I think he's a good villain. He's very evil, he's got a very distinct character, and he's just kind of got it going on. BUT! The critic in me would like to point out that there is no REASON for Kefka to be that way. Why is he an insane clown? How did he get political stature? Some things just don't add up. You can imagine the things behind this, but it isn't truly satisfying unless you know what built this guy. You can say "he's just a freaking maniac", but one can do a lot better than that. Maybe Jam would like to comment on this? I know he loves FFVI even more than I do. Ultros is also the same way, lol.

Sephiroth actually has the advantage over Kefka in this regard. The game actually goes through the creation of this horribly bad powerful dude, but Kefka is much better in terms of characterization. I know exactly what Kefka would do or say to any particular event, whereas Sephiroth is a bit less defined (I haven't finished FFVII yet, so we'll see if that changes.)

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I really liked Shinobu Sensui, his character was so deep. I don't think the manga did him as much justice as the anime did though.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I knew people knew about it!

>:3

IMO the most underappreciated villain is Kaioh from Hokuto no Ken. He's just in Raoh's shadow you know? When your fictional little brother is so popular he has a real-life burial and hundreds of people go to it, it's a blow to the ego.

Especially if you're the last big bad in the manga.

He can only console himself with the fact that he's basically Gouki's (Street Fighter) total inspiration.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Venom in Spider Man 3.

The writers should have gave him more screen time imo.
I wasn't much of a spider man fan growing up (didn't read comics >.>) but he seemed like a pretty cool villian to begin with.

Top Bottom