• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Time Spent Thinking in Your Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyceDarg

Smash Cadet
"It lives less in the present
Than in the future always,
And less in both together
Than in the past."

- Robert Frost, from his poem 'Carpe Diem'
http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/48850-Robert-Frost-Carpe-Diem (The entire poem)

This quote is Robert Frost's take on a person's state of mind. That people in general spend little time thinking of the present, they spend time on the future, but that their minds dwell mostly on the past.

I have two debate questions for you:

One: Do you think that Frost is right?
Two: Why would Frost pose something like this in a poem titled 'Carpe Diem' (A Latin translation for : "Seize the Day")?

Please read the poem to fully understand the first quote and answer my second question.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
1. Absolutely. Personally, I think of things in the past more than anything else. I spend the least on the future, and just a chunk of my brain on what's now.

2. Well, in a poem called "Seize the Day", letting us know what is holding us back from seizing the day is a very very good reason to include it. It makes perfect sense to have the restriction in a piece telling us to do something.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
1. The past is well the past, events that have already taken place. Alot of people often think of the past because it led to where they are now. They reflect on the decisions they made and some people think about what would have happened if another path was chosen. IN the present, someone can only think about what is going on and as Frost said so much is going on at one moment. Ti avoid being overbeared with information the brain focuses on something else i.e. the past/future. THe future while holding many possiblities, is not as overbearing as the present but also is not as 'calm' as the past and as a result would be in the middle.

2."Be happy, happy, happy,
And seize the day of pleasure."

i think frost , by the title, my quote and your quote is saying enjoy each day without trying to focus too hard on what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom