• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons vs Ages

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Inspired by the recent additions to the NSO, I'd like to hear some Zelda gaming takes.

For those of you who have played both Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, what are the pros and cons of each game and which do you prefer overall?

So far I've only played Seasons so I'm curious how it will compare.

Please makes sure to mark any spoilers.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna be real, neither of these games really do it for me. They're both good games just not really for me.

I like Ages's gimmick better, but its been a long time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ages is a blatantly longer game in practice, but also has an easier to understand gimmick. It's a single back and forth thing.

Seasons, while shorter, has some really cool items too(as do both), but a much harder final boss(unless you get a bit lucky). Using the Rod of Seasons means you have to cycle through up to 4 different overworld parts at times, and sometimes a puzzle requires you to do this among the same area, not just once in a while.

I'd say the worst factor of Ages is how odd the controls are for the Mermaid Suit. It goes from direction and A to nothing but directional inputs. This is a massive change from earlier. That said, this also can be easier for some people compared to the Flippers. Generally, one of them won't be easy to use.

Seasons doesn't have any truly awkward items, though the Magical Boomerang can sometimes be a little wonky at best(it controls like the Mermaid Suit, using the D-Pad).

Overall, they're both very fun. Great music, great story, neat characters, and lots of silly rings to collect. Biggest downside is that if you want 100% completion, you can't use the released versions on 3DS or the Switch, as they specifically are coded to follow Game Boy Color rules. You need to get physical copies to play it on the GBA itself. That said, the unique stuff are two "nothing" rings and some Gasha Seeds. Thankfully you can use a password for a linked game to get them, but it's still pretty annoying.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be real, neither of these games really do it for me. They're both good games just not really for me.

I like Ages's gimmick better, but its been a long time.
What is it about them that doesn't click, or are you just not too keen on 2D Zelda in general?

Funnily enough a mate of mine played Link's Awakening for the first time recently and despite being a fan of 2D Zeldas, he got sick of the clunkiness with button mapping, slow samey dialog boxes and occasional cryptic moments (throwing a pot at a sealed door).

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So Eventho i havent finnished them (They are pretty hard) they were my first zelda Games and i have a big nostalgic spot for them! That being said Ages is better! Not only has it the better Locations (It is incredibly close tho!) it has a pretty decent story compared to seasons which has none! It Introduced The Concept of getting your items taken away on a island! Its also pretty cool cause it has new bosses while seasons recycles EVERY Zelda 1 Boss even the more boring ones like aquamentus and Patrya!

Also Seasons will kick your ****** With every single boss after like temple 4 while ages has tougher puzzles yeah but you could theoretically use a guide for those!

So i slightly prefer ages over seasons!

Top Bottom