• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Television General Discussion Thread

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
RIP Leonard Nimoy.

Changing the subject, has anyone here watched the X Files? I just started season 5, and I've gotta say it's becoming one of my favorite shows. Sure, the effects are a little dated, but for a TV series that started in the late 90's, you can't expect all that much. Besides, most of the effects are just fine, it's just that there are a few that stick out quality wise.

Also; Scully and Mulder are one of the best TV duos around.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
RIP Leonard Nimoy.

Changing the subject, has anyone here watched the X Files? I just started season 5, and I've gotta say it's becoming one of my favorite shows. Sure, the effects are a little dated, but for a TV series that started in the late 90's, you can't expect all that much. Besides, most of the effects are just fine, it's just that there are a few that stick out quality wise.

Also; Scully and Mulder are one of the best TV duos around.
I know of the X-Files, but I haven't watched it.

What I hear is that it's good, but it went on for too long (nine seasons!), such that it lost steam in its later years. Still, as a hugely iconic series, it's probably worth watching it all the way through just to say that you experienced it.

I've wanted to binge X-Files, but with nine seasons, it's a commitment. I'd like to clear up my backlog first before I get on that (Mad Men, The Americans, and Waling Dead are still pending on my catch-up list. As is The Shield, now that I think of it).

It's kind of serendipitous that you should invoke the X-Files, since Fringe was (when it started, at least) described by many to be a "spiritual successor" to X-Files. Both had FBI agents investigating strange cases. Though while X-Files dealt with aliens and the paranormal, Fringe dealt with science-gone-wrong and physics-gone-wild.

You have Olivia Dunham, who evokes the Scully archetype of no-nonsense dedicated FBI agent, along with Peter Bishop, a smart but wayward man with a shady history, along with his father Walter Bishop (played brilliantly by John Noble, AKA Denethor from LOTR), a mad scientist with a tortured mind and past, taken out of a mental institution to assist with modern day cases. The secondary cast is also great -- and this includes Nimoy as William Bell.

Here's the original series trailer. The series ended in 2013, running for 100 episodes over five seasons. It was called "the little show that could" in its later years, since it was always on the edge of cancellation. But thankfully, it was able to end things on its own terms. I would recommend Fringe as one of the great modern sci-fi series (that isn't a space opera and/or an alien invasion story).

In other TV news, Wednesday's Arrow was pretty alright. Some nice Oliver-Diggle action, since we haven't gotten much of them teaming up this season. Though Ray continues to be whatever. At least secrets are starting to come out to the fore, which is shifting the dynamic in the cast. Yesterday had new Adventure Time and Steven Universe, which were solid (as is to be expected). A nice T.V. spotlight episode for AT, and some Greg-Amethyst spotlight in SU. Always fun to explore new dynamics and relationships.

Also, Vikings (on History Channel) has started up its third season. Episode 3.02 was yesterday. So far, this season has been kind of interesting. Vikings was never my favourite show, but you can't deny that it's interesting, and is very immersive as a period piece. Also, Kevin Durand showed up in 3.02, which is super boss; I'm intrigued to see what he brings in 3.03 (and maybe beyond).

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I know of the X-Files, but I haven't watched it.

What I hear is that it's good, but it went on for too long (nine seasons!), such that it lost steam in its later years. Still, as a hugely iconic series, it's probably worth watching it all the way through just to say that you experienced it.

I've wanted to binge X-Files, but with nine seasons, it's a commitment. I'd like to clear up my backlog first before I get on that (Mad Men, The Americans, and Waling Dead are still pending on my catch-up list. As is The Shield, now that I think of it).

It's kind of serendipitous that you should invoke the X-Files, since Fringe was (when it started, at least) described by many to be a "spiritual successor" to X-Files. Both had FBI agents investigating strange cases. Though while X-Files dealt with aliens and the paranormal, Fringe dealt with science-gone-wrong and physics-gone-wild.

You have Olivia Dunham, who evokes the Scully archetype of no-nonsense dedicated FBI agent, along with Peter Bishop, a smart but wayward man with a shady history, along with his father Walter Bishop (played brilliantly by John Noble, AKA Denethor from LOTR), a mad scientist with a tortured mind and past, taken out of a mental institution to assist with modern day cases. The secondary cast is also great -- and this includes Nimoy as William Bell.

Here's the original series trailer. The series ended in 2013, running for 100 episodes over five seasons. It was called "the little show that could" in its later years, since it was always on the edge of cancellation. But thankfully, it was able to end things on its own terms. I would recommend Fringe as one of the great modern sci-fi series (that isn't a space opera and/or an alien invasion story).

In other TV news, Wednesday's Arrow was pretty alright. Some nice Oliver-Diggle action, since we haven't gotten much of them teaming up this season. Though Ray continues to be whatever. At least secrets are starting to come out to the fore, which is shifting the dynamic in the cast. Yesterday had new Adventure Time and Steven Universe, which were solid (as is to be expected). A nice T.V. spotlight episode for AT, and some Greg-Amethyst spotlight in SU. Always fun to explore new dynamics and relationships.

Also, Vikings (on History Channel) has started up its third season. Episode 3.02 was yesterday. So far, this season has been kind of interesting. Vikings was never my favourite show, but you can't deny that it's interesting, and is very immersive as a period piece. Also, Kevin Durand showed up in 3.02, which is super boss; I'm intrigued to see what he brings in 3.03 (and maybe beyond).
I've seen a few episodes of Fringe, and I definitely got an X-Files vibe from it. I'll have to watch it sometime in the future. I liked what I saw of it (the first few episodes), but it didn't really keep me coming back. I'll most likely watch it after the X-Files. And yes; Olivia Dunham is pretty much Dana Scully.

I've been thinking about watching Arrow, but I'm just not at all interested in Green Arrow, so I haven't gotten around to it. I'm also not caught up on the Walking Dead, and some friends that I watch it with aren't too happy about that. I'm near the beginning of season 5 of Walking Dead.

I've done the opposite of binge the X-Files, I've just watched it here and there over the past year or so. 80% of the show is "Monster of the Week" type episodes, but those other 20% are very plot-driven.

I've also heard that the X-Files loses steam over the years. I hope it's not too bad. One show that I watched that really lost steam is Supernatural. A huge event happens in season 5 of Supernatural, and after that nothing really lives up to that event. Supernatural was a little hit or miss for me even before then, but after catching up to season 9 when it aired, I just didn't feel the need to keep watching.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've seen a few episodes of Fringe, and I definitely got an X-Files vibe from it. I'll have to watch it sometime in the future. I liked what I saw of it (the first few episodes), but it didn't really keep me coming back. I'll most likely watch it after the X-Files. And yes; Olivia Dunham is pretty much Dana Scully.
Most Fringe watchers would say that episode 1.14 is where the show kicks it into a new gear. Not to say that the first half of S1 has nothing going for it, but it did take a few episodes to find its footing. It's certainly worth committing to, at any rate.

I've been thinking about watching Arrow, but I'm just not at all interested in Green Arrow, so I haven't gotten around to it. I'm also not caught up on the Walking Dead, and some friends that I watch it with aren't too happy about that. I'm near the beginning of season 5 of Walking Dead.
I enjoy superhero stuff, so I got on board with Arrow. It's got some good action, but it also has a lot of soap. This season has been a bit bumpy, to say the least.

Meanwhile, The Flash (the Arrow spin-off) came racing out of the gate with confidence. Arrow started out uneven, since they were trying to work out a formula for the show. But by the time Flash came around, they'd already had experience under their belt. I'm enjoying Flash more than Arrow right now, both because Flash is fun and vibrant whereas Arrow tends to be gritty, and because Flash has superpowered heroes and foes (while Arrow is lo-tech vigilante stuff, a la Batman).

Also, if you're into Marvel (and the MCU), Agent Carter was great. It ended its eight-episode first season this week. It remains to be seen whether we get another season, but what we got was fun stuff. Peggy Carter steals the show, as does Jarvis, and it has a period charm (being set in the 40s), and the atmosphere is lent an anachronistic vibe due to the advanced tech that shows up.

Agents of Shield, meanwhile, has had a rockier history. I dropped it after four episodes. However, word is that the show's quality spiked by the end of the first season, and that the second season has been consistent. Apparently, the whole Fall of Shield stuff from Winter Soldier gave AoS a much-needed injection of purpose and direction. And now they're tying in the Inhumans (which is one of the movies on the MCU Phase Three docket). So I think I'll have to give AoS another shot, since now, instead of just reacting to movie events, the show is not actively contributing to the MCU.

As for TWD, I was at 4.12 at last count. It seems that the first few episodes of S5 were great, but that the show has come to settle in its usual paces. I think I'll wait until the season is over, so that I can watch it all in one sitting.

I've done the opposite of binge the X-Files, I've just watched it here and there over the past year or so. 80% of the show is "Monster of the Week" type episodes, but those other 20% are very plot-driven.
Fringe has a more event ratio. While earlier episodes (especially in S1-S2) were more standalone, the show ended up adopting a format that fans called the "mythalone" -- cases that tied back in some way to the overarching plot or mythos (and you of course had the actual plot-progressing episodes).

I've also heard that the X-Files loses steam over the years. I hope it's not too bad. One show that I watched that really lost steam is Supernatural. A huge event happens in season 5 of Supernatural, and after that nothing really lives up to that event. Supernatural was a little hit or miss for me even before then, but after catching up to season 9 when it aired, I just didn't feel the need to keep watching.
I hear what happened is that Kripke (Supernatural's creator) had a five-season plan. But things went awry (maybe due to the 07-08 Writer's Strike; I forget), so the plan was not able to be successfully implemented. What's more, CW wanted more, so another season was ordered. Then, Kripke left the show, and I guess successive showrunners have not been able to stick to his vision and keep what made the show good during the Kripke era.

There was a time where I thought I might get into Supernatural, but both due to its increasing length and hearing how the second half of the series lost its apparent way, I'm no longer inclined to check it out. Or maybe I might just watch the Kripke era.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Most Fringe watchers would say that episode 1.14 is where the show kicks it into a new gear. Not to say that the first half of S1 has nothing going for it, but it did take a few episodes to find its footing. It's certainly worth committing to, at any rate.

I enjoy superhero stuff, so I got on board with Arrow. It's got some good action, but it also has a lot of soap. This season has been a bit bumpy, to say the least.

Meanwhile, The Flash (the Arrow spin-off) came racing out of the gate with confidence. Arrow started out uneven, since they were trying to work out a formula for the show. But by the time Flash came around, they'd already had experience under their belt. I'm enjoying Flash more than Arrow right now, both because Flash is fun and vibrant whereas Arrow tends to be gritty, and because Flash has superpowered heroes and foes (while Arrow is lo-tech vigilante stuff, a la Batman).

Also, if you're into Marvel (and the MCU), Agent Carter was great. It ended its eight-episode first season this week. It remains to be seen whether we get another season, but what we got was fun stuff. Peggy Carter steals the show, as does Jarvis, and it has a period charm (being set in the 40s), and the atmosphere is lent an anachronistic vibe due to the advanced tech that shows up.

Agents of Shield, meanwhile, has had a rockier history. I dropped it after four episodes. However, word is that the show's quality spiked by the end of the first season, and that the second season has been consistent. Apparently, the whole Fall of Shield stuff from Winter Soldier gave AoS a much-needed injection of purpose and direction. And now they're tying in the Inhumans (which is one of the movies on the MCU Phase Three docket). So I think I'll have to give AoS another shot, since now, instead of just reacting to movie events, the show is not actively contributing to the MCU.

As for TWD, I was at 4.12 at last count. It seems that the first few episodes of S5 were great, but that the show has come to settle in its usual paces. I think I'll wait until the season is over, so that I can watch it all in one sitting.

Fringe has a more event ratio. While earlier episodes (especially in S1-S2) were more standalone, the show ended up adopting a format that fans called the "mythalone" -- cases that tied back in some way to the overarching plot or mythos (and you of course had the actual plot-progressing episodes).

I hear what happened is that Kripke (Supernatural's creator) had a five-season plan. But things went awry (maybe due to the 07-08 Writer's Strike; I forget), so the plan was not able to be successfully implemented. What's more, CW wanted more, so another season was ordered. Then, Kripke left the show, and I guess successive showrunners have not been able to stick to his vision and keep what made the show good during the Kripke era.

There was a time where I thought I might get into Supernatural, but both due to its increasing length and hearing how the second half of the series lost its apparent way, I'm no longer inclined to check it out. Or maybe I might just watch the Kripke era.
I'll give the Flash a shot, I've heard good things about that one from a few friends of mine. Also, I didn't even know that Agent Carter had her own show, that's pretty cool. Generally, I'm a Marvel guy. Marvel tends to have more "street-level" superheroes, and I just enjoy their hero selection overall more than DC. That's not to say DC is bad, just not my preferred of the two. The Flash is probably one of the coolest DC heroes though, so I'll definitely check out his TV show.

I'd recommend Supernatural. After Season 5 it does kinda go in a different direction, so it's up to you whether or not you want to keep watching after that point. However, seasons 1-5 are very good, and definitely worth a watch in my opinion. All the characters in that show have great chemistry, and it's generally just a fun show. Also, the show gets a lot better when a character named Castiel joins the cast. He's probably my favorite character in the entire show.

I enjoy TWD, but that show has some major pacing issues. Season 2 is the obvious example, but even then there are points in the show where not very much is going on, and it's just boring. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm watching it with a group of friends, then I probably would've dropped it a while ago.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'll give the Flash a shot, I've heard good things about that one from a few friends of mine. Also, I didn't even know that Agent Carter had her own show, that's pretty cool. Generally, I'm a Marvel guy. Marvel tends to have more "street-level" superheroes, and I just enjoy their hero selection overall more than DC. That's not to say DC is bad, just not my preferred of the two. The Flash is probably one of the coolest DC heroes though, so I'll definitely check out his TV show.
Flash is great. And it has good SFX, most of the time. Plus, so far, we're getting things like Reverse Flash, Gorilla Grodd, and Firestorm. So that's rad.

Though you should know that, as a spin-off, the Flash exists in the same universe as Arrow. Barry Allen was introduced in the second season of Arrow (episodes 2.07-2.08), which was meant to serve as a "backdoor" pilot. And Olive Queen appears in Flash's pilot episode. There was also a crossover event, in which the Flash gang went to Starling City (in Arrow), and where Team Arrow went to Central (in Flash), so as to help each other out. The showrunners have stated that there will be a crossover episode in every season, ideally. Which is good news, since those crossovers were great.

So keep these things in mind if you're going to watch Flash. Here's a series trailer.

I think Agent Carter is one of the better offerings the MCU has put out so far. Definitely worth watching, and with eight episodes, there's less of a commitment (and the plot doesn't dawdle). Plus, there's some Howard Stark in there (alongside Jarvis, the namesake of J.A.R.V.I.S.).

I'd recommend Supernatural. After Season 5 it does kinda go in a different direction, so it's up to you whether or not you want to keep watching after that point. However, seasons 1-5 are very good, and definitely worth a watch in my opinion. All the characters in that show have great chemistry, and it's generally just a fun show. Also, the show gets a lot better when a character named Castiel joins the cast. He's probably my favorite character in the entire show.
Maybe eventually. I'm in no hurry right now. Taking on another show would be a bit much. Plus, other shows are coming back in the next couple of months (foremost among them Orphan Black and Game of Thrones), so that should keep me busy, watch-wise.

I enjoy TWD, but that show has some major pacing issues. Season 2 is the obvious example, but even then there are points in the show where not very much is going on, and it's just boring. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm watching it with a group of friends, then I probably would've dropped it a while ago.
TWD is indeed hit or miss. What it does well is atmosphere, and a sense of things going to hell. But things like pacing and character are often weak links in the chain.

I promised someone I would eventually catch up, so I intend to do so. But TWD is certainly not my favourite show.

What's crazier is that, according to the showrunners, they have plans for story up to 10-11 seasons. Yet the world's status quo can't possibly change by their own admission -- according to them, we'll never really know how or why the outbreak started, nor will we ever find a cure. So far, it's been a rinse-repeat cycle of finding some kind of shelter, trying to make a life there, things going to hell, then going back on the road in search of new shelter.

All of these factors don't lend themselves to a sustainable paradigm. Narrative scenarios are limited. People can either be killed off, grieve the loss of the dead, lament their situation, or become more and more ruthless. Only so many themes and points you can explore.

It seems more than enough for many, given the show's success. My brother is a huge TWD nut. I'm just less enthused about it, especially since there are so many shows of higher caliber available in our age of information (and streaming).

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Flash is great. And it has good SFX, most of the time. Plus, so far, we're getting things like Reverse Flash, Gorilla Grodd, and Firestorm. So that's rad.

Though you should know that, as a spin-off, the Flash exists in the same universe as Arrow. Barry Allen was introduced in the second season of Arrow (episodes 2.07-2.08), which was meant to serve as a "backdoor" pilot. And Olive Queen appears in Flash's pilot episode. There was also a crossover event, in which the Flash gang went to Starling City (in Arrow), and where Team Arrow went to Central (in Flash), so as to help each other out. The showrunners have stated that there will be a crossover episode in every season, ideally. Which is good news, since those crossovers were great.

So keep these things in mind if you're going to watch Flash. Here's a series trailer.

I think Agent Carter is one of the better offerings the MCU has put out so far. Definitely worth watching, and with eight episodes, there's less of a commitment (and the plot doesn't dawdle). Plus, there's some Howard Stark in there (alongside Jarvis, the namesake of J.A.R.V.I.S.).

Maybe eventually. I'm in no hurry right now. Taking on another show would be a bit much. Plus, other shows are coming back in the next couple of months (foremost among them Orphan Black and Game of Thrones), so that should keep me busy, watch-wise.

TWD is indeed hit or miss. What it does well is atmosphere, and a sense of things going to hell. But things like pacing and character are often weak links in the chain.

I promised someone I would eventually catch up, so I intend to do so. But TWD is certainly not my favourite show.

What's crazier is that, according to the showrunners, they have plans for story up to 10-11 seasons. Yet the world's status quo can't possibly change by their own admission -- according to them, we'll never really know how or why the outbreak started, nor will we ever find a cure. So far, it's been a rinse-repeat cycle of finding some kind of shelter, trying to make a life there, things going to hell, then going back on the road in search of new shelter.

All of these factors don't lend themselves to a sustainable paradigm. Narrative scenarios are limited. People can either be killed off, grieve the loss of the dead, lament their situation, or become more and more ruthless. Only so many themes and points you can explore.

It seems more than enough for many, given the show's success. My brother is a huge TWD nut. I'm just less enthused about it, especially since there are so many shows of higher caliber available in our age of information (and streaming).
I'm in the same situation when it comes to TWD. It's my aunt's favorite show, and she enjoys talking to other people about what may happen. But like you said, there are only so many things that they can do with the plot, that I haven't felt the urge to watch anymore of it. Hopefully something different and exciting does happen in the episodes that I haven't seen yet. It's still a good show, it's got good action and (some) good characters. However the show overall just feels like another zombie flick, and that doesn't really do it any favors.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm in the same situation when it comes to TWD. It's my aunt's favorite show, and she enjoys talking to other people about what may happen. But like you said, there are only so many things that they can do with the plot, that I haven't felt the urge to watch anymore of it. Hopefully something different and exciting does happen in the episodes that I haven't seen yet. It's still a good show, it's got good action and (some) good characters. However the show overall just feels like another zombie flick, and that doesn't really do it any favors.
TWD is a mid-tier show, in other words. For while it has good production values, and is not unwatchable (on most days), there's just a lot more quality material out there that eclipses TWD in various respects.

In other TV news:

-B99 came back after a week off, with the Boyle-Linetti Wedding. It was a good installment; lots of laughs.

-Better Call Saul was also pretty strong. Now that McGill has put himself out there, he's getting more cases -- but they're all rather loony, which leads to some absurd clientele. Progress is made with Chuck's condition, and it seems we're soon going to have an arc in which Jimmy assists Mike when it catches up to him. So that should be great.

-No Flash or Arrow this week, alas. However, I have watched the pilot of The Last Man on Earth. After a virus seemingly wipes out humanity, Phil Miller has to survive on his own, and without any rules, he lets loose. It's a strange, unusual premise, since we see a lot of sequences of Phil being a slob and amusing himself through vandalism and crazy antics. But it also has a bleak undercurrent to it. I'm certainly on board for the continuation.

-Also got some premiere dates for stuff like Orange Is The New Black (airing this summer), and Penny Dreadful (May 3). So that's good to know.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I felt like sharing my thoughts on Better Call Saul. I'm definitely enjoying it but my biggest issue with it so far is my feeling that it doesn't stand very well on it's own as a television series. I feel that someone who's never seen Breaking Bad before would not be able to enjoy this show and I think that says something about the quality of it. Someone could sum up the lynchpin of Breaking Bad pretty easily but with this show, I can't say the direction is quite as clear.

It's still fun to watch though.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I felt like sharing my thoughts on Better Call Saul. I'm definitely enjoying it but my biggest issue with it so far is my feeling that it doesn't stand very well on it's own as a television series. I feel that someone who's never seen Breaking Bad before would not be able to enjoy this show and I think that says something about the quality of it. Someone could sum up the lynchpin of Breaking Bad pretty easily but with this show, I can't say the direction is quite as clear.

It's still fun to watch though.
I would assert the exact opposite. One doesn't need any familiarity with BB in any way to enjoy BCS.

True, someone unfamiliar with BB will likely miss some easter eggs and references (such as the significance of Tuco and Mike, among others). However, the show approaches its story without being coy about it's legacy.

You don't need to know the stories of Walter, Jesse, Mike, Tuco, and whoever else to understand McGill's story -- that he's an ex-con who's trying to do right as a public defender (for the sake of his ailing brother), yet is starting to slowly be drawn into shady practices in his quest to make a dent in the world as a legitimate lawyer. What about any of this requires knowledge of the Heisenberg Saga to understand?

By design, BCS is a tale that exists as its own entity. It helps that the series is set years before BB starts (or at least, before Saul ever meets Walt and Jesse), so BCS stands even less in BB's shadow. Even the post-BB cold open of the pilot episode stands on its own. You don't need to know why Saul is a depressed Cinnabon manager. We can see that Saul used to be a lawyer, yet in the future ends up in a dour and dispiriting position, a shadow of his former self. And that's all we need to understand, for now.

And that's BCS' approach. It seeks to stand on its own as a narrative, but those who know the story of BB will appreciate the references and layers more than those who watch BCS blind.

Anyway, since I'm here, I'll touch on something that has me excited:

Next week is the Steven Bomb event, in which the remaining episodes of Steven Universe will air all week this coming week. Three new episodes on Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday, and a double-episode finale event on Thursday (and all on a special 5PM EST timeslot). Yesterday's episode was a good table-setter, so I expect the last five episodes to be wild. 8D

There was also a strange momentary confusion with Adventure Time. CN seemed to have pulled out all of AT's March episodes from the schedule at the last minute. Yet they seemed to have reversed their decision. So new AT did air yesterday, in what was a decent, whimsical adventure.

Concerning AT, news of a miniseries (between S6 and S7), as well as an AT feature film (produced by the minds behind Lego Movie in cooperation with Ward and Co.) have surfaced in recent weeks, so it's a good time to be an AT fan.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really like the Flash TV series. I'm liking it way more than I thought I would, it's got some cheesy moments, but it works. Though I'm annoyed that it got two hiatuses back to back so soon.

Not too into Arrow though, I don't hate it. But I guess the supporting cast isn't as all that great to me. I do like Deathstroke in it at least.

As far as animation goes, I've been liking Gravity Falls and Regular Show. The third season of Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty okay actually, it's balancing the action and comedy better than the first two seasons.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I really like the Flash TV series. I'm liking it way more than I thought I would, it's got some cheesy moments, but it works. Though I'm annoyed that it got two hiatuses back to back so soon.

Not too into Arrow though, I don't hate it. But I guess the supporting cast isn't as all that great to me. I do like Deathstroke in it at least.
The Flash is more fun and optimistic (and has spooperpowers!), whereas Arrow is grittier and more cynical. While Arrow can often fall prey to its self-serious, soapier tendencies, Flash has an earnest vein that helps offset whatever cheese it may have.

I trust you've seen the promo for the next Flash episode. Party time is coming to Central City,

As far as animation goes, I've been liking Gravity Falls and Regular Show. The third season of Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty okay actually, it's balancing the action and comedy better than the first two seasons.
Did you see yesterday's Gravity Falls? A huge shift in the status quo, to say the least. The only real downside to GF is how long it takes new episodes to come out. The minimum is like 3-4 weeks. XD

As for Regular Show, I've actually been making my way through it, and am up to the fourth season. It's not as great, I find, as other modern cartoons I've been perusing, namely because it tends to the formulaic. Mordecai and/or Rigby get pulled into supernatural shenanigans that threaten the park and/or other characters. This usually causes some kind of creature or powerful entity to surface and cause trouble, and/or necessitates a trip to some weird dimension to solve the issue at hand. By the end of the episode, the threat is contained. Now and again, the threats are caused by or centered on the other characters, but the same formula applies there as well.

While Regular Show is entertaining in its zaniness, it's pretty bound by its formula, so there isn't much variation to events. Not that RS is subpar; it's just that it's outclassed by what others shows are doing.

Speaking of other shows, Steven Universe has begun its week-long new episodes event. Yesterday was Rose's Scabbard, which was a neat showcase of the Pearl-Rose relationship. Tonight is The Message, which seems like it will concern Lapis. Only three hours left for that (since the new episodes are airing at a new, earlier timeslot for this "Steven Bomb" event).

Steven Universe is pretty great; I'd recommend it. Certainly at the fore of the current generation of Cartoon Network flagship titles. You have diverse and interesting characters, intriguing lore and mysteries, fluid action, comic relief, earned emotions (and complex relationships and themes, for an otherwise-children's cartoon), and superb production (voice acting, art style, animation, soundtrack, etc.). Like Adventure Time, SU episodes are 11 minutes long, so you can watch a bunch in one sitting.

Anyway, last few things:

-Yesterday's Better Call Saul was great, with a Mike showcase delving into his backstory, and his past in Philly. It's pretty bold that BCS would push Jimmy to the sideline for most of an episode so soon in its run, but let it not be said that Gilligan and Friends are not bold.

-B99 was pretty good, as was Last Man On Earth. I've also caught up to Fresh Off The Boat, which is rather hilarious. The mom (Jessica) is of course the best character.

-Game of Thrones came out with a new trailer yesterday, which has me more intrigued than the first trailer had. As a book reader, I'm interested in seeing how they adapt the material from the later books, and what is hinted at in the trailer makes me more eager for next month.

So that's the TV roundup for now. Tonight is a new Fresh Off The Boat (and Steven Universe), so I'll be looking forward to that. 8)

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Does anybody watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? I've been watching the latest season and I've really enjoyed it. The ending to the season finale was brilliantly ironic, I thought.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Giving this a bit of a bump to say that me and my family have gotten hooked on that new TV series known as "Zoo".

The premise has definitely been interesting so far. This show offers a rather unique storyline, or at least, vastly different from the majority of other TV shows out there, it's a nice change of pace.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ballers isn't too bad so far. Then again, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is always entertaining.

Also caught up to Gravity Falls. Quite a bit has been happening on that show.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've also been watching Falling Skies. Have been doing so since it's second season.

The show is now in the middle of it's final season, preparing to wrap the series up.

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, since last December I've finished the following classic TV shows that I started years ago:

Becker
Taxi
Medium
Ghost Whisperer
Mannix
Dynasty
Matlock

I'm now watching the black-and-white seasons of Gunsmoke (since those are the only ones available on DVD) and I also plan to watch The Rat Patrol before the summer is done. Your local libraries have all sorts of wonders available.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, as of right now, I'm looking forward for Supernatural's Season 11, and the Walking Dead's new season.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Well, as of right now, I'm looking forward for Supernatural's Season 11, and the Walking Dead's new season.
Man I haven't watched Supernatural in a few years. How's the quality been holding up?

I've been on an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia kick for the last two or three months. Currently on season 9, not sure how I feel about it yet. The production quality has increased a ton but it seems that became the priority and the writing took a backseat, at least when it comes to the first few episodes.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Honestly?

It is good as hell (no pun intended), but it just doesn't compare with the earlier seasons. And this comes from a hardcore fan of the series.

I still watch it for the characters, interactions, the arcs covered, the mythology and stuff like that. The drama has OVERSHADOW the horror/actiony aspect from before, but it is still quite fine, IMO.

Where/When was the last time/season you watched/heared of the series?

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Honestly?

It is good as hell (no pun intended), but it just doesn't compare with the earlier seasons. And this comes from a hardcore fan of the series.

I still watch it for the characters, interactions, the arcs covered, the mythology and stuff like that. The drama has OVERSHADOW the horror/actiony aspect from before, but it is still quite fine, IMO.

Where/When was the last time/season you watched/heared of the series?
I dropped off at the start of the 8th season. I still enjoyed watching the characters, but they were doing the same thing just with a different set of bad guys facing them. First it's demons, then angels, then leviathans. It all felt very similar.

The end of season 5 would have been a perfect cut off point. The seasons after it never really held up.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I dropped off at the start of the 8th season. I still enjoyed watching the characters, but they were doing the same thing just with a different set of bad guys facing them. First it's demons, then angels, then leviathans. It all felt very similar.

The end of season 5 would have been a perfect cut off point. The seasons after it never really held up.
Whoops, I meant I dropped off at the start of the 9th season.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
At that point it was actually beggining to pick up with that season. 7 and 8 weren't that strong, at least until the last episodes of the 8th season. As of right now, they WERE dealing with a different kind of evil, one that could be in a way, internal, and the consequences of that. (No recurring bad guys actually, but fun somehow)

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
At that point it was actually beggining to pick up with that season. 7 and 8 weren't that strong, at least until the last episodes of the 8th season. As of right now, they WERE dealing with a different kind of evil, one that could be in a way, internal, and the consequences of that. (No recurring bad guys actually, but fun somehow)
Hmm, I may have to give the series another go. I enjoyed it too much as a whole not to give it another chance.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Do so, it is worth it, at least give it another shot.

And with Season 11, adressing an enemy in the same vein of dangerous as how Season 5 was handled, it seems like we might be in the right track.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Rick and Morty's Season 2 Finale really hit me hard. Mr. Poopy Butthole said that Season 3 would be in a year and a half or maybe even longer, but that possibly can't be true, right? If so, that's a very powerful cliffhanger they did there. Justin Roiland is a genius.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Rick and Morty's Season 2 Finale really hit me hard. Mr. Poopy Butthole said that Season 3 would be in a year and a half or maybe even longer, but that possibly can't be true, right? If so, that's a very powerful cliffhanger they did there. Justin Roiland is a genius.
Speaking of Rick and Morty, do you know of a place to watch the episodes?

I've watched a few on the adult swim website, but they're missing an episode here and there and I don't want to miss any of them.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Speaking of Rick and Morty, do you know of a place to watch the episodes?

I've watched a few on the adult swim website, but they're missing an episode here and there and I don't want to miss any of them.
I'm not sure. I usually watch the episodes when they first air on Sunday. But I'll see what I can do.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I'm not sure. I usually watch the episodes when they first air on Sunday. But I'll see what I can do.
Ah don't worry about it. If I can't find anything I can just buy them.

I would love for this show to be on Netflix, though.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Ah don't worry about it. If I can't find anything I can just buy them.

I would love for this show to be on Netflix, though.
Yeah, I suppose you could buy the second Season once it comes out on DVD. Having it on Netflix would just be amazing too.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Anyone caught up with the Flash? I think season 2 is shaping up to be pretty good. Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold is endlessly entertaining.

I also just started watching Arrow. I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm really liking it.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
Might as well post here that I'm not so much one for lots of reality or live-action tv, but rather the animated portion.

I don't much need describe, just look in my sig.

Cartoon Network is my go-to for shows, specifically Gumball(Darwin X Carrie when CN?)and We Bare Bears(Fresh, new, and funny.). Sometimes maybe Uncle Grandpa(Don't murder me. It has plenty of cringeworthy moments to me.)

Used to watch TTG, until I heard about "The Return of Slade", which is where I stopped tuning in, because at first it was okay, but now has become straight-up bad.
And takes up too much air time. Really.

Don't care much for Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe(Come at me.), or a few others.

And their recent show...Supernoobs...
More Canadian imports?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's been a while since there's been any talk here. Since I used to discuss the show here, I thought I'd give a rant I've been itching to let out about Sleepy Hollow's season 3 finale:

They literally killed off Abbie Mills once and for all. She sacrificed her soul to Pandora's Box so that the box could gain enough to power to suck all of the Hidden One's power away, and was taken to some bizarre realm that comes before death. Hoo boy....

To start off, the fact that they killed her at all has already dome some intense damage to the show's quality and future. It's to the point where I'm actually going to be surprised if it returns for a fourth season. Abbie was the deuteragonist of the show and the dynamics of her and Crane's relationship were an integral part of the show. Without your second main character, who's not only been around since the beginning of the show, but had a huge history and story around her life and family built up from the beginning until now, where are they going to go next? What does it leave? You still have Ichabod Crane, and you still have Abbie's sister, Jenny (assuming her actress doesn't get the same fate as Orlando Jones and his character), and I'm guessing you still have the recently introduced Sophie ....and that's about it. The father of the Mills sisters was recently introduced, and was even more recently revealed to know all about the supernatural and whatnot as well, and also told Crane some important information at the end of the episode, so I doubt they'll be taking Jenny and her father out of the picture. This will leave some history of the Mills left to be explored, but without Abbie, it's going to feel a lot different, and might I say....empty. If the show even gets renewed again, it just won't feel the same. Nothing would be delivered as effectively or powerfully without Abbie. As Robert Kirkman of The Walking Dead fame once explained about one of the TV show adaption's character deaths:

"It's important to note that running out of story isn't a reason to kill a character. Having more story to mine isn't a reason to keep a character alive; it's what story comes out of it and how does the story change with death."

While I definitely agree with this viewpoint, this isn't one of the instances in which the death will leave a good impact on the story. Abbie being killed off will no question do more harm to the show's storyline than it will do good. I might have been okay with it much later in the show's lifetime (although, I don't know how many seasons they writers may have had planned in advance), but there are more problems with what happened than just the fact that she died.

My next complaint goes back to Abbie and Ichabod's chemistry. It was one of the most appealing parts of the show, they're both great characters and when they were together they were at their best. I would not have minded if they kept their relationship as super close friends, but entirely platonic, or if they ultimately went in the direction of having them become a couple. The problem with this episode, is that it, along with many other episodes in the season, heavily teased a potential romance between the two, especially on Crane's side. when they discovered Betsy Ross in the Catacombs, Betsy left rather sour, and told Crane that "his heart belonged to Abbie. " Later, Crane and Jenny helped the Horseman escape his prison in the box and convinced him to attack only Pandora, their mutual enemy, for the night, hoping they could finally get the information they needed to rescue Abbie out of Pandora. Pandora ultimately lost the battle and was left to bleed to death, where she not only revealed that Abbie was truly gone, but also stated her beliefs that Crane loves Abbie, that she is his "whole world". All of this is the show just bluntly telling the viewers that Crane is in love with her. But then, when he finally encounters her after the destruction of the box.....we see no evidence of romantic feelings from either Crane or Abbie. Crane just bids her a somewhat remorseful farewell and kisses her hand before bowing to her one final time. The season 1 finale where Abbie was left in Purgatory was way more emotional than this, and it ultimately just feels like the writers lied to their viewers about the direction they were taking Abbie and Crane's relationship. You don't just tease all this "love" that Crane feels towards Abbie and then have them bid a half-hearted goodbye at the end of the same episode.

To my knowledge, Abbie's actress apparently had been wanting out of the show for quite sometime for numerous reasons. Now, that being said, it doesn't make her departure any less sour (if anything, it only makes it worse) and it doesn't even remotely justify the poor writing in her last scene. It was a disrespectful, unemotional, and ultimately terrible excuse of a goodbye scene for one of the show's main characters.

I've said it before in this post, I'll say it again: Crane and Abbie's chemistry was an integral part of the show. Taking Abbie out of the picture effectively destroys one of the show's main selling points, and the poorly-executed goodbye scene was just salt in the wound. There are a lot of things that went wrong in the finale, and as a result of them, I don't think the show will be renewed. And if it is, it won't be nearly as good as it used to be. And that's a massive, massive shame. The first season was incredible. Season 2 was alright, but it had a few disappointing episodes, and season 3, I felt, was a big step-up from season 2..... until the last couple episodes. The finale being the best example of that.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom