• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Television General Discussion Thread

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've tried to find a general television thread, but wasn't able; while there exist many threads for specific shows, there doesn't seem to be a centralized thread for television discussion (certainly no active ones, at any rate). Which is a shame, since I'm a television buff.

So let this thread be your one-stop shop for all things television!

Here are some discussion prompts and topics:

-Past and current shows you're watching;
-Future shows that you're looking forward to;
-Favourite shows (and least favourite);
-The medium of television (platforms, ratings, renewals and cancellations, etc.);
-Show recommendations and reviews;
-Watch logs;
-Etc.

To kick things off, I'll cover my current serial regimen, as of the beginning of September 2014:

[collapse=Sehnsucht's Watch List (September 2014)]
-The Strain (FX)
--Del Toro's vampire project. Had read the source material, which was decent enough. The show so far is alright. Good production values and vampire goodness, but wonky characters and dialogue. Makes for good pulpy entertainment.

-The Leftovers (HBO)
--This one is strange, yet intriguing. Moves slowly, and has received polarized reception (which I can sympathize with), but I'm enjoying so far.

-Doctor Who (BBC)
--New season is now in session, with the new Doctor. A pretty solid start so far. Capaldi is great, as was to be expected.

-Extant (NBC)
--Sci-fi show with Halle Berry. Pretty good, I suppose. I'm a fan of the near-future sci-fi worldbuilding and concepts. The show itself is a competent enough thriller, though; nothing outright wrong with anything, but it isn't amazing television. Still, it's held my interest thus far, so I'll see it through.

-The Shield (FX)
--A finished show that I'm working my way through. Considered the classic cop-crime drama, and having made my way to the sixth of seven seasons, I can see why. Looking forward to the conclusion. 8D
[/collapse]

Over the summer, I was following S2 of Rectify (excellent) and S3 of Legend of Korra (excellent).

And in the past year (September 2013-2014), I've watched Sleepy Hollow S1 (great), Almost Human S1 (decent), Orphan Black S2 (great), True Detective S1 (excellent), Vikings S2 (decent), Arrow S1-S2 (great), Game of Thrones S4 (great), Louie S1-S4 (great), Orange Is The New Black S2 (excellent), Walking Dead S4 (middling), Penny Dreadful S1 (excellent), and Rick & Morty S1 (excellent).

Looking forward to Sleepy Hollow S2 on FOX this Fall. Nothing else this Fall season has gained my interest just yet, but we'll see what else crops up.

Enough about me. Let the binge watching commence!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That Simpsons marathon had ended recently. It's sort of crazy how many episodes it has. I'm looking forward to all of it being on FX Now. Because there's too many that I missed. And it'll be good to keep watching my favorites.

I think I might be more lenient on the show than others. Some of the early 2000's seasons were pretty good to me. But in the end, it's more of an Episode by Episode case isn't it?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Damn, no one's responded in the three weeks since this went up.

Thankfully, I have some stuff to share.

So, tonight I watched the series premiere of Gotham, and the second season premiere of Sleepy Hollow (both on FOX).

[collapse=On Gotham]
This is basically a somewhat-prequel to Batman, featuring Jim Gordon as our lead.

The Pilot revolves around the murder of the Waynes, and Gordon's investigation thereof. We see multiple notable Batman characters before the era of the Bat -- a young Bruce, Alfred Pennyworth, Selina Kyle, Ivy, Carmine Falcone, Oswald Cobblepot, and even Edward Nygma (and of course, Joe Chill, who here is unnamed). Clearly, the show will be trying to bring everyone into the fold one way or another.

The Pilot itself was pretty decent. Nothing overly wrong or out of place, but not amazing television. This may be in part because the Pilot treaded old ground, revolving around the death of the Waynes. I wonder if the show will forever be eclipsed by the shadow of the mythology that inspired it (i.e. Batman).

Still, I'm willing to give this one a chance. It will clearly be a sort of semi-procedural, with Gordon and Bullock investigating cases in Gotham, which will likely tie into either the Mob, Batman Rogues-To-Be, or some new villains. It could become good, could remain mediocre, or it could devolve into substandard fare. CW's Arrow, another DC-property superhero show, took a few episodes to find its footing, and it's become pretty great; hopefully, Gotham will be able to do the same, as I do enjoy the Batman universe.

I'd give the Pilot a 6.5/10. A solid start, but at no point was I gripped, or impressed, or amazed. I'll at least commit to the first four episodes, at any rate.
[/collapse]

[collapse=On Sleepy Hollow]
On the other hand, the S2 premiere of SH was nearly flawless. It returns without missing a beat from when it ended last season (on that pretty mindbending note).

The first fifteen minutes commit to a false reality fake-out, and we return to how we left things in S1 soon after (Crane buried, Abbie in Purgatory, Jenny in the clutches of evil, Katrina held by Abraham, etc.). Yet I accepted this protracted fake-out, because I was willing to believe that the show would have the bwalls to commit to a time-skip, and for Katrina and Jenny to have died. The fake-out consists of swapping one dire status quo for another dire one, so it's not as though the show absolved itself of the consequences of S1 (plus, the illusory reality had a narrative purpose, and it was cool).

We're then left with a bunch of interesting and fun storylines. Ichabod teams up with Jenny to find the Key to Gehenna, Abbie teams up with the spirit of Andy Brooks (!) to find a way to reach out to Crane, and Katrina tries to deal with her captor. Everything was on point, from Crane's continuing bafflement and exasperation at 21st Century tech and customs, to Jenny (and Abbie) being a badass, to all the good stuff between Crane and Abbie, and to Jeremy being a total boss.

The Katrina stuff was clearly the C-Plot. She'd spent S1 trapped in Purgatory, only to be traded off to Abraham. So her continued lack of agency may become grating if it isn't resolved soon. Still, her two scenes served their purpose; we see her peppy fighting spirit in the first, and in the second, we introduce the enchanted necklace that allows Abraham to reveal himself, after a fashion. So more meaningful interaction will likely ensue, now that Death can communicate.

Enjoyed Brooks coming back, as I felt his story wasn't over, so we might be able to see him pop up now and again. Seeing Benjamin Franklin in this new light was good fun. I'd expect that as Washington was last season's focus, Franklin will be this one's. And they invoke the Hellfire Club; as ever, the show gives us a reason to research History more than one otherwise would.

Good to see the Hessians again, as well. And Jeremy as War was great throughout. John Noble is an incredible presence; he was easily the highlight of Fringe, and continues to spellbind as War. That ending scene was totally metal.

The premiere adeptly ties some loose ends from last season, while also setting the stage for the season to come. There was basically nothing wrong with this episode. The only downsides were probably that the Katrina scenes were a bit less interesting than the rest (if only because she's less developed at this point), and the total absence of Captain Irving, whose continued status in incarceration wasn't touched upon in the hour. Yet it's evident that these will be addressed in due course (especially since the promo for 2.02 suggests a daring raid to liberate Katrina).

An easy 9/10 for the premiere of S2. It's good to have this show back on our screens. The first half of S1 was a bit tumultuous, but it shifted gears for the second half and didn't let up (is it a coincidence that the show shifted when Noble made his first appearance? Who knows but Franklin).

Bring on Armageddon.
[/collapse]

In other news, The Strain continues to be a subpar adaptation of average material, the most recent Doctor Who episode was a fairly enjoyable capper, and I'm looking forward to the return of Arrow in a few weeks (as well as The Flash spin-off). And Legend of Korra starts up hardly a month after it finished, which is both surprising and welcome.

That's all for now, I suppose.

Though I hope this thread gets more activity. Surely, there must be other TV enthusiasts on Smashboards who have something to share. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
I used to be an avid brony, but since the season 4 hiatus I've lost my interest. Season 5 may rekindle it but we'll see.

I've been watching some Pokemon episodes every now and then just for nostalgia, and it's pretty enjoyable albeit immature.

PrincessLucina

Smash Rookie
I've been watching through Parks and Recreation(excellent), and recently finished The Office(so, so, so good), and How I Met Your Mother(Good, mostly).
After I finish Parks and Recreation I don't know what I'll watch. I've been waiting for the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to come to netflix for some time.
If you can't tell, sitcoms comprise most of what I watch.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've been watching through Parks and Recreation(excellent), and recently finished The Office(so, so, so good), and How I Met Your Mother(Good, mostly).
After I finish Parks and Recreation I don't know what I'll watch. I've been waiting for the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to come to netflix for some time.
If you can't tell, sitcoms comprise most of what I watch.
I'm not too initiated in sitcoms.

I've watched Louie on HBO, which is more a surreal vignettes series. Rick & Morty is my current fave animated comedy.

I've always wanted to add more comedy series to my watch list. I'm currently thinking of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, though Parks & Rec, It's Always Sunny, and Curb Your Enthusiasm are other series of interest.

...Anyway, on my end, I'm continuing to watch Sleepy Hollow, Doctor Who, and Korra. I think CW's The Flash is supposed to start tonight; it's a spin-off of CW's Arrow, which I have seen, and enjoyed. It'll be interesting to see how they handle superpowers, in contrast to Arrow's more realist approach.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've also been watching Sleepy Hollow again, along with my family lately. We all got hooked on the show just after the first episode of S1 and have actively kept up with it since. Weren't totally impressed with a few of the first S1 episodes after the premiere but we hung on and things started to get more interesting overtime. Among other things it started delving really deep into actual history and adding dark and supernatural twists to it. As History is one of my favorite subjects it quickly began to prove to be one of the most fun parts of the show for me, and the rest of my family as well!

The developers really know how to catch you off guard in this show, it leaves a cliffhanger ending with nearly every episode...I'd talk a bit more about S2 but I'm not caught up to the latest episode yet. Generally we can only watch it on Sundays as that's the best time for all of us to get together and do so, and the normal premiere time on Monday is at 9:00 PM here, at which point most of us are usually too tired to properly keep up with it.

(S2 Episode 2 spoilers for those who haven't seen it)
I'm glad they've already started to do something with Orlando's Jones character (Frank Irving, the former police chief) this early on, after he admitted to a crime his daughter was falsely accused of last season. Was anxious to see what they would do with him after that. The second episode of S2 ended on a dang huge surprise and cliffhanger with Henry/Jeremy showing up suddenly and posing as Irving' lawyer, and now he's got Irving's signature written in blood on a contract of some kind. Can't wait till I can catch up to the latest episode and see where this portion of the story goes next!

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've also been watching Sleepy Hollow again, along with my family lately. We all got hooked on the show just after the first episode of S1 and have actively kept up with it since. Weren't totally impressed with a few of the first S1 episodes after the premiere but we hung on and things started to get more interesting overtime. Among other things it started delving really deep into actual history and adding dark and supernatural twists to it. As History is one of my favorite subjects it quickly began to prove to be one of the most fun parts of the show for me, and the rest of my family as well!
Episodes 1.01-1.05 were indeed a bit hit-or-miss, since the show was finding its footing. But once episode 1.06 kicks off ("The Sin-Eater"), the rest of the first season was firing on all cylinders.

Not being American, I can't appreciate the historical aspect quite as much. But I do learn stuff in most episodes, so that's cool. I appreciate the supernatural stuff more -- the mythology, the occult and paranormal connections, and so on. I often go look things up after airing, finding that they usually do tie in actual relics and events and texts pertaining to religion, the occult, and so on.

The developers really know how to catch you off guard in this show, it leaves a cliffhanger ending with nearly every episode...I'd talk a bit more about S2 but I'm not caught up to the latest episode yet. Generally we can only watch it on Sundays as that's the best time for all of us to get together and do so, and the normal premiere time on Monday is at 9:00 PM here, at which point most of us are usually too tired to properly keep up with it.
I followed SH live on FOX last year, but in the time since, my access to the FOX channel has been limited. So I just stream it online Sunday nights (as I do with most TV, nowadays :p).

(S2 Episode 2 spoilers for those who haven't seen it)
I'm glad they've already started to do something with Orlando's Jones character (Frank Irving, the former police chief) this early on, after he admitted to a crime his daughter was falsely accused of last season. Was anxious to see what they would do with him after that. The second episode of S2 ended on a dang huge surprise and cliffhanger with Henry/Jeremy showing up suddenly and posing as Irving' lawyer, and now he's got Irving's signature written in blood on a contract of some kind. Can't wait till I can catch up to the latest episode and see where this portion of the story goes next!
Episode 2.02 was indeed a strong installment. I'm up to date, so I'll give minimal-spoiler impressions (though if you want to remain 100% spoiler free, feel free to skip):

[collapse=On Episode 2.03]
After two high-octane episodes, episode 2.03 serves as a bit more of a breather, with a case-of-the-week affair (albeit one set into motion by Jeremy). It's very cool, especially when they figure out the background of the case.

The plot also centers on the Abbie-Jenny dynamic, which is always good. We learn some interesting stuff that ties into their past. And we are introduced to a new character who seems likely to become a recurring figure. I enjoyed what they brought to the table.

And indeed, we get some advancement on Irving's situation. As well as hints as to the scale of Jeremy's operations.

As for tidbits concerning the next few episodes (again, skip if you don't want to know):

[collapse=SH Near Future]
According to press releases and whatnot, in the coming weeks, we'll be seeing SH's take on the Pied Piper, La Llorona, and the Wendigo. Awesome.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]

If you weren't aware, the second season will be eighteen episodes long (as opposed to thirteen in the first season). So we have fifteen more to go. It's going to be so awesome. 8D

Good to know there are other SH fans out there. Here's to an excellent second season!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Episodes 1.01-1.05 were indeed a bit hit-or-miss, since the show was finding its footing. But once episode 1.06 kicks off ("The Sin-Eater"), the rest of the first season was firing on all cylinders.

Not being American, I can't appreciate the historical aspect quite as much. But I do learn stuff in most episodes, so that's cool. I appreciate the supernatural stuff more -- the mythology, the occult and paranormal connections, and so on. I often go look things up after airing, finding that they usually do tie in actual relics and events and texts pertaining to religion, the occult, and so on.

I followed SH live on FOX last year, but in the time since, my access to the FOX channel has been limited. So I just stream it online Sunday nights (as I do with most TV, nowadays :p).

If you weren't aware, the second season will be eighteen episodes long (as opposed to thirteen in the first season). So we have fifteen more to go. It's going to be so awesome. 8D

Good to know there are other SH fans out there. Here's to an excellent second season!
I'm also quite glad to know there's more Sleepy Hollow fans out there, and here in particular. :p

Indeed, I really appreciate the supernatural and mythological aspects of the show as I would generally, but the use of history mixed in with it all was just a very nice touch for me. I also really like the way they handle the humor with Ichabod trying to get used to the modern world, while still fully keeping true to his personality as it was when he originally lived in the 18th century Colonial America. They even manage to incorporate those moments in serious scenes while still keeping the overall serious tone of it. There's probably not a single major aspect of the show that I don't absolutely love.

And I was not aware of how many episodes we'd be getting this season until you informed me here. That's great news. The more episodes per season, the longer it will last, and the longer a season lasts, the better! I almost lost it when it ended around Christmas last year (or perhaps it was in January? I can't remember precisely what month the first one ended) and shortly after I heard it wouldn't be coming back until next Fall....so yeah, this one's gonna be great!

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm also quite glad to know there's more Sleepy Hollow fans out there, and here in particular. :p

Indeed, I really appreciate the supernatural and mythological aspects of the show as I would generally, but the use of history mixed in with it all was just a very nice touch for me. I also really like the way they handle the humor with Ichabod trying to get used to the modern world, while still fully keeping true to his personality as it was when he originally lived in the 18th century Colonial America. They even manage to incorporate those moments in serious scenes while still keeping the overall serious tone of it. There's probably not a single major aspect of the show that I don't absolutely love.

And I was not aware of how many episodes we'd be getting this season until you informed me here. That's great news. The more episodes per season, the longer it will last, and the longer a season lasts, the better! I almost lost it when it ended around Christmas last year (or perhaps it was in January? I can't remember precisely what month the first one ended) and shortly after I heard it wouldn't be coming back until next Fall....so yeah, this one's gonna be great!
Season 1 ended in January of this year. That was quite a cliffhanger to leave us on.

The thing with having a shorter season is that there's less time for filler, so the pace is going to be faster overall. With a longer season, there's the chance of getting more one-off "monsters of the week" episodes. But now that SH has worked out its kinks, I'd expect such episodes to be A) relatively few, B) good on their own merits, and C) probably have some contribution in terms of character, seasonal plot, or mythology.

I agree that there isn't really anything out of place in this show. The weakest link is probably Katrina, and her stuff. For much of the first season, we was an exposition fairy, appearing only to dispense information. And now, in S2, she's been captive. Her isolation and lack of spotlight means that she is comparatively underwritten relative to the other characters. But hopefully, an extended season will allow them to dig into her character. And I do like the character despite all this anyway.

You know, maybe you'd be interested in Fringe. It has a surprising number of similarities to SH:

-Both were co-created by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci;
-Both air(ed) on FOX;
-Both have a certain case-of-the-week format, though become more heavily serialized in time;
-Both have a strong cast of characters, both principal and supporting;
-Both have crazy and cool ideas that push the limits of the imagination;
-Both have John Noble (aka Henry Parrish) as a prominent character.

Fringe is a sci-fi show, focusing on science-gone-wrong and the "fringes" of cutting-edge science, as opposed to SH's fusion of history and mythology. But they're very much kindred spirits, I find.

It was the first show I ever really followed. It's not a perfect show, naturally; it has flaws, which I've spent much time discussing with others elsewhere on the Internet. And like SH, the first season may take a little while to get going. The overarching idea of the show doesn't become truly apparent until the end of the first season (which, like SH's first season finale, has quite the mindbending cliffhanger).

It ran for 100 episodes spread across five seasons, ending back February 2013. I'm glad Sleepy Hollow has come to fill the genre void. Here's the original series trailer for Fringe, by the way.

And if you have seen Fringe, then you'll know all this to be true. ;)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Season 1 ended in January of this year. That was quite a cliffhanger to leave us on.

The thing with having a shorter season is that there's less time for filler, so the pace is going to be faster overall. With a longer season, there's the chance of getting more one-off "monsters of the week" episodes. But now that SH has worked out its kinks, I'd expect such episodes to be A) relatively few, B) good on their own merits, and C) probably have some contribution in terms of character, seasonal plot, or mythology.

I agree that there isn't really anything out of place in this show. The weakest link is probably Katrina, and her stuff. For much of the first season, we was an exposition fairy, appearing only to dispense information. And now, in S2, she's been captive. Her isolation and lack of spotlight means that she is comparatively underwritten relative to the other characters. But hopefully, an extended season will allow them to dig into her character. And I do like the character despite all this anyway.
There is that, I have no doubt they we'll be seeing more one-off monsters this season, but as you mentioned they will likely either be few in number when compared to the entirety of the season as a whole and/or will be considerably better in certain aspects than in the previous season.

Most major characters will usually get their big role in due time. Now that Katrina is in the real world (and captive for the time being at that) I've no doubt that her role and character will become considerably more interesting and perhaps a bit more complex this season (though given her current position I doubt she'll have nearly as much of a better outlook on the modern world as Ichabod will yet, if not one no better than when she first escaped Purgatory. So that may hold her character back a bit.) Looking forward to seeing what they'll do with her in this season.

You know, maybe you'd be interested in Fringe. It has a surprising number of similarities to SH:

-Both were co-created by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci;
-Both air(ed) on FOX;
-Both have a certain case-of-the-week format, though become more heavily serialized in time;
-Both have a strong cast of characters, both principal and supporting;
-Both have crazy and cool ideas that push the limits of the imagination;
-Both have John Noble (aka Henry Parrish) as a prominent character.

Fringe is a sci-fi show, focusing on science-gone-wrong and the "fringes" of cutting-edge science, as opposed to SH's fusion of history and mythology. But they're very much kindred spirits, I find.

It was the first show I ever really followed. It's not a perfect show, naturally; it has flaws, which I've spent much time discussing with others elsewhere on the Internet. And like SH, the first season may take a little while to get going. The overarching idea of the show doesn't become truly apparent until the end of the first season (which, like SH's first season finale, has quite the mindbending cliffhanger).

It ran for 100 episodes spread across five seasons, ending back February 2013. I'm glad Sleepy Hollow has come to fill the genre void. Here's the original series trailer for Fringe, by the way.

And if you have seen Fringe, then you'll know all this to be true. ;)
A few other members of my family were huge on Fringe. I didn't actively follow most of the same shows they did but every now and I then I would walk in and see something that would peak my interest and end up sitting down to watch the whole thing. I saw a few episodes of Fringe and quite liked them, though I can hardly remember them other than that. Perhaps I will have to try and watch some more of it sometime.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
A few other members of my family were huge on Fringe. I didn't actively follow most of the same shows they did but every now and I then I would walk in and see something that would peak my interest and end up sitting down to watch the whole thing. I saw a few episodes of Fringe and quite liked them, though I can hardly remember them other than that. Perhaps I will have to try and watch some more of it sometime.
Well, for one, the show is complete, so you can watch it from beginning to end without hiatuses in between. I had to weather those months-long waits back in the day. And Fringe was always on the cancellation bubble, so it's very lucky that the show was able to end on its own terms, instead of being prematurely cancelled without any resolution.

It should also be available on streaming services such as Netflix. Though you also have other options, like getting the DVDs or resorting to streaming/torrenting/whatever.

Like Sleepy Hollow, Fringe starts out a bit rough. The Pilot is pretty good, though the ensuing few episodes may underwhelm you. Fan opinions may differ as to when the first season "shifts gears", so to speak. Some say 1.14, other might say the 1.10-1.11 two-part affair. Episode 1.07 is another notable episode as well. Myself, I'd say give the first four episodes a shot; episode 1.04 introduces a major concept that will be developed over the rest of the series. If the show isn't at least mildly intriguing by then, it probably isn't for you.

But then again, you say you liked what you saw, so chances are you'll get hooked soon enough. If you ever do give it a shot, you can relay ongoing impressions in this thread (and as a Fringe supernerd, I know the show inside and out, so I can offer certain insights and whatnot). 8D

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I've been watching:
Leverage
Doctor Who
Arrow
The Flash
Gotham
Anyone else watch Leverage? I would love to hear opinions on it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Speaking of The Flash, I watched the Pilot yesterday.

Only to find out that the Pilot's been out since June. XS

Even so, it was a strong premiere. It's the lighter, more adventurous companion to Arrow (and speaking of which, the Allen-Queen scene was a bit hokey, but it was still appreciated). Good effects and action, good characters and rapports, and Grant Gustin works as Barry Allen (though this was apparent during the crossover episode back in S2 of Arrow). And speaking of crossovers, I hope to see the odd crossover now and again, with intermixing of heroes and villains alike (Buffy/Angel style).

I also learned that Barry Allen's father is being played by John Wesley Shipp -- who played Barry Allen in the original 1990 Flash show. So that's some cool meta full-circleness.

Arrow's third season starts today. So it now seems that I'll be getting some DC double helpings two days in a row (Flash on Tuesdays, Arrow on Wednesdays). This Fall season is yielding some nice pickings so far. :shades:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Speaking of The Flash, I watched the Pilot yesterday.

Only to find out that the Pilot's been out since June. XS

Even so, it was a strong premiere. It's the lighter, more adventurous companion to Arrow (and speaking of which, the Allen-Queen scene was a bit hokey, but it was still appreciated). Good effects and action, good characters and rapports, and Grant Gustin works as Barry Allen (though this was apparent during the crossover episode back in S2 of Arrow). And speaking of crossovers, I hope to see the odd crossover now and again, with intermixing of heroes and villains alike (Buffy/Angel style).

I also learned that Barry Allen's father is being played by John Wesley Shipp -- who played Barry Allen in the original 1990 Flash show. So that's some cool meta full-circleness.

Arrow's third season starts today. So it now seems that I'll be getting some DC double helpings two days in a row (Flash on Tuesdays, Arrow on Wednesdays). This Fall season is yielding some nice pickings so far. :shades:
I just hope they don't screw it up. The first episode had some telltale signs, i.e No development of the Weather Wizard. I truly hope the writers don't just pop in 2 dimensional villains as fan-service and fodder for Barry.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I just hope they don't screw it up. The first episode had some telltale signs, i.e No development of the Weather Wizard. I truly hope the writers don't just pop in 2 dimensional villains as fan-service and fodder for Barry.
I have negligible familiarity with Flash lore. The name Weather Wizard is unknown to me -- unless Clyde Mardon was supposed to be the show's reimagining of the Weather Wizard.

Although, I don't think it was confirmed that Martin died. Barry neutralized the cyclone, but we didn't see Mardon's body or anything. So he could still come back (and thereby, be fleshed out to a greater extent).

Speaking of fan-service, did you notice the busted-up "Grodd" cage at STAR Labs? I guess we can look forward to Gorilla Grodd (whom I am familiar with). Maybe he'll be played by Andy Serkis. :dkmelee:

I remember Arrow being a bit rocky during the first season, but it got steadily better. I'd think that The Flash would learn from Arrow's mistakes, so we likely won't be seeing any glaring issues. It's a safe bet to expect that Flash's first few episodes will revolve around metahumans-of-the-week (though some can recur later, as with Arrow), though a seasonal arc will reveal itself as we go along.

EDIT: Corrected misspelling of Martin to Mardon, after a quick check.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I have negligible familiarity with Flash lore. The name Weather Wizard is unknown to me -- unless Clyde Mardon was supposed to be the show's reimagining of the Weather Wizard.

Although, I don't think it was confirmed that Martin died. Barry neutralized the cyclone, but we didn't see Mardon's body or anything. So he could still come back (and thereby, be fleshed out to a greater extent).

Speaking of fan-service, did you notice the busted-up "Grodd" cage at STAR Labs? I guess we can look forward to Gorilla Grodd (whom I am familiar with). Maybe he'll be played by Andy Serkis. :dkmelee:

I remember Arrow being a bit rocky during the first season, but it got steadily better. I'd think that The Flash would learn from Arrow's mistakes, so we likely won't be seeing any glaring issues. It's a safe bet to expect that Flash's first few episodes will revolve around metahumans-of-the-week (though some can recur later, as with Arrow), though a seasonal arc will reveal itself as we go along.

EDIT: Corrected misspelling of Martin to Mardon, after a quick check.
Yep, the second I saw the sign I was excited. I can't wait to see how they portray Grodd. I was thinking more along the lines of Dimaggio to play Grodd, but Andy Serkis fits way better, considering his past roles. I'm currently catching up on Arrow. Based Netflix just added the second season, so I have a lot to sit through.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yep, the second I saw the sign I was excited. I can't wait to see how they portray Grodd. I was thinking more along the lines of Dimaggio to play Grodd, but Andy Serkis fits way better, considering his past roles. I'm currently catching up on Arrow. Based Netflix just added the second season, so I have a lot to sit through.
The Serkis suggestion wasn't serious. It's more a pipe dream, since we know Serkis can mocap intelligent simians like a boss.

So you haven't started the second season, yet? Pretty good stuff, I'd say. Have fun.

On a related not, the S3 premiere was yesterday.

It was alright. The episode was a low-octane affair, more of a table-setter, or even an epilogue to S2's resolution, than a bombastic return (which befits the episode's title of "The Calm", I suppose).

[collapse=On the S3 Premiere]
The "new" Vertigo guy came out of nowhere and was a rather paltry villain, disposed of with ease (though I suppose that was the point, since he was just a catalyst for the episode's emotional drama). The new Vertigo drug making people see their worst fears -- and Arrow seeing Queen -- was an interesting idea, though it was resolved pretty quickly.

The episode establishes OliverxFelicity as the new canon pairing, though naturally, this first venture doesn't end well (because Drama). Ray Palmer was a fun, smarmy dude.

Sara's death came out of left field. I had read prior to S3 that Laurel Lance is the canonical Black Canary, so if the show was all about dat canon, then Sara's demise was inevitable. The execution was kind of awkward, though, feeling shoehorned at the end of the episode. Maybe they could have forestalled her demise just an episode longer -- end 3.01 with implications that Sara is being targeted, and have 3.02 revolve around that confrontation, and Sara's death, giving her a fitting send-off.

Whatever the case, in reading post-episode comments here and there, a lot of people weren't happy with this turn, whether they found it inevitable or not (since a significant portion of the fanbase hates Laurel's character).

This being Arrow, though, I'm of course willing to see how they play this out. And Ra's Al-Ghul is the season's Big Bad, so that can't possibly turn out badly.

...Right?
[/collapse]

While the premiere was lukewarm, I have no doubt that the season will ratchet up the intensity in short order. Here's to weekly DC double doses. 8D

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So I've finally gotten to see the latest episode of Sleepy Hollow (only to have to wait another week to catch up again tomorrow night :p).

A few of thoughts on the episode:

To my surprise they didn't immediately go to deep into the plot of Henry/Jeremy posing as Irving's lawyer and what he intends for Irving just yet, mostly it was a subplot that was focused on mainly very early and very late in the episode. I'm actually kind of glad they haven't gone too deep on this part of the story just yet so as to not possibly flush it out too quickly. Still I am hoping to see where they take this portion of the story in the next few episodes and how it will ultimately turn out Whether Henry succeeds in freeing Irving or not, I just hope Irving will do whatever he can to prevent himself from getting out just yet.

The backstory they did with the Mills family and Reyes was also really interesting, and how they handled the whole "evil coin" thing within it. And as I suspected for the most part, I'm still hugely doubting that Reyes has any connections to Moloch or posses any sort of supernatural powers or connection. She's just a lot like how Irving was early in S1, only being a lot more problematic for the group than he once was.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So I've finally gotten to see the latest episode of Sleepy Hollow (only to have to wait another week to catch up again tomorrow night :p).

A few of thoughts on the episode:

To my surprise they didn't immediately go to deep into the plot of Henry/Jeremy posing as Irving's lawyer and what he intends for Irving just yet, mostly it was a subplot that was focused on mainly very early and very late in the episode. I'm actually kind of glad they haven't gone too deep on this part of the story just yet so as to not possibly flush it out too quickly. Still I am hoping to see where they take this portion of the story in the next few episodes and how it will ultimately turn out Whether Henry succeeds in freeing Irving or not, I just hope Irving will do whatever he can to prevent himself from getting out just yet.

The backstory they did with the Mills family and Reyes was also really interesting, and how they handled the whole "evil coin" thing within it. And as I suspected for the most part, I'm still hugely doubting that Reyes has any connections to Moloch or posses any sort of supernatural powers or connection. She's just a lot like how Irving was early in S1, only being a lot more problematic for the group than he once was.
Just watched this week's episode (2.04), and I can say that we get some tantalizing headway on Irving's subplot. One scene in particular stood out as an episode highlight.

The episode itself was alright, on the other hand. Very case-of-the-week, with mild ties to the mythos. It reminds me the most of 1.05 (the Roanoke episode), in that we have a child in danger (though I'd say 2.04 is better, if only because by now, the show has worked out the kinks it had back in early S1). We did get a little of Parrish, which is always good. And the Abbie-Crane superduo is the gift that keeps on giving.

Also, the promo for 2.05 promises what will perhaps be the freakiest creature in SH's history to date. It's gonna be cray.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Just watched this week's episode (2.04), and I can say that we get some tantalizing headway on Irving's subplot. One scene in particular stood out as an episode highlight.

The episode itself was alright, on the other hand. Very case-of-the-week, with mild ties to the mythos. It reminds me the most of 1.05 (the Roanoke episode), in that we have a child in danger (though I'd say 2.04 is better, if only because by now, the show has worked out the kinks it had back in early S1). We did get a little of Parrish, which is always good. And the Abbie-Crane superduo is the gift that keeps on giving.

Also, the promo for 2.05 promises what will perhaps be the freakiest creature in SH's history to date. It's gonna be cray.
I might check out 2.05's teaser if it doesn't spoil too much about 2.04 (does it? if it does I'll just wait till next Sunday after I see the latest episode)

I'm greatly looking forward to both episodes either way!

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I might check out 2.05's teaser if it doesn't spoil too much about 2.04 (does it? if it does I'll just wait till next Sunday after I see the latest episode)

I'm greatly looking forward to both episodes either way!
It doesn't. 2.04's case was standalone, so there's no carry-over (in the promo, at least).

So by all means check it out.

IF YOU DARE

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Mostly have been catching up on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, now it might sound that it's cheesy as hell but most of the jokes manage to get a sensible chuckle

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So my family got together for Halloween and we watched the latest Sleepy Hollow episode two days earlier than we normally do.

A few thoughts:

So they went further into Abby and Corbin's life and past by introducing Corbin's son, who turned out to have recently been cursed, turning into a Windigo every time he smells blood. The character was quite interesting, I felt, as was the plot of the episode itself. Still making occasional looks at Irving's situation, of which we now know that Henry has stolen Irving's soul, and to get it back on his own he must commit a murder. On the plus side at least the rest of the group of now knows of his current situation as well. As slow as this part of the story is going, they show it enough and have handled it to where it doesn't get tiring waiting for more of it to be unveiled.

The next episode looks quite interesting...unless Moloch's had a sudden change of plans, then Henry seems to be attempting to do his own thing once again, and this time on what seems to be a far more dangerous scale. Can't wait to see how this goes in the next episode.

On a side note, the whole thing with Ichabod playing online gaming near the end was just perfect. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a moment like that in the show before now.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So my family got together for Halloween and we watched the latest Sleepy Hollow episode two days earlier than we normally do.

A few thoughts:

So they went further into Abby and Corbin's life and past by introducing Corbin's son, who turned out to have recently been cursed, turning into a Windigo every time he smells blood. The character was quite interesting, I felt, as was the plot of the episode itself. Still making occasional looks at Irving's situation, of which we now know that Henry has stolen Irving's soul, and to get it back on his own he must commit a murder. On the plus side at least the rest of the group of now knows of his current situation as well. As slow as this part of the story is going, they show it enough and have handled it to where it doesn't get tiring waiting for more of it to be unveiled.

The next episode looks quite interesting...unless Moloch's had a sudden change of plans, then Henry seems to be attempting to do his own thing once again, and this time on what seems to be a far more dangerous scale. Can't wait to see how this goes in the next episode.

On a side note, the whole thing with Ichabod playing online gaming near the end was just perfect. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a moment like that in the show before now.
I think episodes 2.04-2.06 have consisted an underwhelming stretch. It's been a procedural lull these past few weeks, the show falling into the same rhythm and patterns. I wonder if this may be a symptom of expanding the season, since they have to bide their time in between the Big Episodes.

Thankfully, episodes 2.07-2.08 seem to promise more substantive advancement in a few respects, so I am also eager for what's to come.

In other TV news, the past Flash and Arrow have been great. The last Doctor Who was pretty whatever, though tomorrow kicks off the two-part finale to this season. Korra is also solid, and I've gotten into Gravity Falls, which is a great show, whose only real detriment is how irregularly and distanced the episodes are aired.

I tried the Constantine pilot on a whim, though that was rather average; dunno if I'm inclined to keep watching, though I may as well check out the next one. Boardwalk Empire had its series finale recently; with such an acclaimed cable drama now concluded, now's a good time to get into it (I'd always been meaning to).

Those are all of my TV thoughts, as of late. Here's to more life-wasting screen-watching. 8D

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think episodes 2.04-2.06 have consisted an underwhelming stretch. It's been a procedural lull these past few weeks, the show falling into the same rhythm and patterns. I wonder if this may be a symptom of expanding the season, since they have to bide their time in between the Big Episodes.

Thankfully, episodes 2.07-2.08 seem to promise more substantive advancement in a few respects, so I am also eager for what's to come.

In other TV news, the past Flash and Arrow have been great. The last Doctor Who was pretty whatever, though tomorrow kicks off the two-part finale to this season. Korra is also solid, and I've gotten into Gravity Falls, which is a great show, whose only real detriment is how irregularly and distanced the episodes are aired.
Ah, Gravity Falls is indeed fantastic. I've been into it since the first episode (though I was skeptical that it would be even remotely good at first from it's previews, they mostly focused on a few simple jokes that I didn't care for much at the time but grew into after the actual episodes premiered and I got to learn more about the character's lives and personalities.) and am really enjoying the second season so far.

The inconsistency and distancing between the episode premiere dates are quite a pain indeed, though.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Ah, Gravity Falls is indeed fantastic. I've been into it since the first episode (though I was skeptical that it would be even remotely good at first from it's previews, they mostly focused on a few simple jokes that I didn't care for much at the time but grew into after the actual episodes premiered and I got to learn more about the character's lives and personalities.) and am really enjoying the second season so far.

The inconsistency and distancing between the episode premiere dates are quite a pain indeed, though.
I basically binged the first season on a whim. Those were a good couple of days.

Also, immensely cool trivia about the most recent Gravity Falls episode:

At the end of the most recent GF episode, Stan's cup, pen, and notebook get sucked into the Universe Portal.

The objects end up in an episode of Rick and Morty -- namely, episode 10 (Close Encounters of Rick-Kind), in which we deal with Ricks from multiple universes.

Here it is in image form and video form.

It seems this neat inter-show easter egg came about because Alex Hirsch (creator of GF) is good friends with Justin Roiland, who co-created R&M, voices the eponymous characters of that show, and also voices time-traveller Blendin Blandin on GF (who, incidentally, will return in the next GF episode, to air November 10th).

Obviously, this doesn't necessarily mean that GF and R&M will crossover anytime soon. But it's cool nonetheless.

Also, please do watch Rick & Morty. It's an Adult Swim show, so it's definitely for mature audiences. But it's supremely hilarious, and very intelligent in how it parodies sci-fi tropes and cliches.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I watched Black Mirror for the first time today and I totally recommend it. It's a dark modern version of The Twilight Zone and it pretty accurately represents the way people are today in relation to technology... in some haunting ways too. The second episode of the first season in particular is still lingering on in my head.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I watched Black Mirror for the first time today and I totally recommend it. It's a dark modern version of The Twilight Zone and it pretty accurately represents the way people are today in relation to technology... in some haunting ways too. The second episode of the first season in particular is still lingering on in my head.
That's what I've been seeing as well. I'll likely watch it in the foreseeable future, since we're in the winter hiatus territory.

In other news, here's my latest watch-dump report:

-Sleepy Hollow entered its midseason hiatus, though the episode itself was rather underwhelming. The show seems to be in a sophomore slump, which is a shame given how comparatively strong the first season was. I'll still aboard, but I would hope that the back end of the second season starts improving (or at least, course-correcting) issues in pacing, momentum, and ancillary characters.

-This week was CW's Flash VS Arrow crossover event, and it was great. Tuesday had Team Arrow visit The Flash, and Wednesday had Team Flash visit Arrow. As a fan of comic properties, crossovers are always recipes for good times (see MCU's Avengers for a recent success story), and they managed to do each episode justice while also balancing characters and staying true to the tone of either series. And next week is the midseason finale for each show. Reverse Flash and Ra's Al-Ghul, yes siree.

-Now that the midseason is freeing up shows, I intend to catch up on Walking Dead, since the first leg of Season 5 is apparently a step up. I suppose I'll soon see for myself.

-Lastly, I rewatched Rick and Morty after recalling that the show first aired around this time last year. But it seems that Season 2 is only coming out in Summer 2015 (!), which is a long time to wait. So I binged through Season 1 again, and it's as solid as I remembered. It's easily the funniest animated comedy I've seen, and is a stellar show in every regard. Everyone should start watching it yesterday (and there are only 11 half-hour episodes in the first season, which is a very manageable length for (binge-)watching).

So there it is. Aw yiss.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
Recently finished watching The Office (starting the whole series over again cause yes i love it so much), started watching Parks and Rec, watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I WAS watching the Walking Dead up until the MSF of Season 5 (**** beth), currently watching American Horror Story, about to start watching Arrow on Netfix and I will start watching Gotham once it also is on Netflix.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm currently working my way through Mad Men. I watched episode 3.05 yesterday.

I was always intrigued by MM, especially due to its prestige quality and acclaim. And so far, it's pretty engrossing.

It concerns an advertising agency in the 60s, and the lives and work of its employees (and how they go about trying to gain clients and work on ad campaigns). Naturally, the 60s were a few decades before my time, so the show is interesting as a period piece. And the show routinely ties in the history of the times; big events tend to bleed into the story and impact the characters (Nixon vs Kennedy, Cuban Missile Crisis, etc.), but never enough to totally overshadow the story. And it's interesting to see how, as history unfolds, the times slowly change; now in the third season, we're starting to get portents of civil rights activism and tensions about race and gender relations.

The show also looks superb. Nice sets, nice costumes, good cinematography. The cast is excellent as well, and the story is unpredictable. The show isn't a thriller, so it doesn't have much action, and is usually an unhurried character study, but thanks to all the production values and strong performances (and thematic depth), the show doesn't need pulse-pounding thrills. The dialogue is also great, with many snappy and memorable lines and moments.

I'm particularly fond of such characters as Peggy Olson, Roger Sterling, Bertram Cooper, and Joan Holloway. But everyone has dimensions, and secondary characters get their spotlight every now and again.

The second half of the seventh and final season will air this summer on AMC, so I expect that I'll have plenty of time to catch up to follow the conclusion of the series live. I did the same thing with Breaking Bad, catching up to watch the fifth and final season (which was also divided into two parts). I'm looking forward to see how it all ends.

Speaking of AMC, I should also look into catching up on Walking Dead. S5 is apparently a step up, perhaps even a return to form by some measures. One reason I watch so many shows is to learn from their storytelling, and so I'm willing to check out TWD, even if it's been a hit or miss show thus far in its run. It starts again next month, as I recall. So I think I should get started sooner rather than later.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sleepy Hollow is about enter it's season finale (though I do have some fear that it won't get renewed again....) and I gotta say I'm hyped for it.

The episode before the most recent one though (I believe it's titled "What Lies Beneath):
I still think the excuse they pulled to blow up that location (forgot what it was called) maintained by a hologram of Thomas Jefferson was just plain dumb. Why were the monsters apparently so deadly that they had to blow the entire place up? There are tons of things they could've turned to in order to keep the place closed off or kept a secret, they could've gotten Katrina to help them out even (or try at least). Jefferson even had bars that were there to contain them. Yet somehow, none of it was enough, these monsters were somehow dangerous enough to the town that to warrant blowing up a place chock-full of every single thing they would've needed to know to help them out in the war. I wouldn't have minded the destruction of it so much if they had a better reason for it, it just seems like the developers were desperate and just quickly threw together an excuse to prevent them from being able to get some serious help. Ichabod didn't even bother grabbing any of the books on his way out. Why? What was stopping him? Why bother introducing all of this incredible stuff if they're just going to take it all away immediately?

TL;DR They introduced an entire location that could've seriously helped the witnesses and their allies in the war and then completely take it away in the same episode, and used a poorly executed excuse to do so.

/endrant

Dumb as that was, I personally think the latest episode more than made up for it:

Henry finally managed to get Katrina on his side and change almost entire line of thought, to the point where she seems to despise Ichabod by the end of the episode. And the premise? A bell reawakens the inner-witch and warlock within numerous descendants of others who held such powers, with Henry and Katrina working to retrieve it and ring it to raise an army of witches and warlocks, so that they may live once again and no longer be hunted, while Ichabod, Abbie and Jenny work to destroy it. The group gets split up when a now evil Frank ambushes them and ends up chasing after Jenny into the sewers, while Abbie and Ichabod are confronted by Henry and Katrina, who then reveal Katrina's change of mind to them. After a long confrontation and briefly being trapped, Ichabod fires a bullet at a black powder bomb attached to the bell to distract Henry, who stops it with his powers, while Abbie takes the opportunity to deliver the killing blow; Henry, at last, has been killed. And Katrina's not happy about it. She travels back in time to when she about to give birth to Henry, but is followed by Abbie, who ends up in literally a role and time reversed version of what happened to Ichabod at the very beginning of the show. She quickly becomes imprisoned, but tells her captors that she knows some key info on helping stop the war, and says there is only one person she will talk to: Captain Ichabod Crane.

I can safely say I absolutely loved this twist they did at the end, and I'm immensely looking forward to how it will all play out in the season finale.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Wow, didn't know this thread existed.
Well anyways, I recently just finished watching new episodes of NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans on CBS (love these kinds of shows, by the way) and I can't wait to see how the season finale of those shows will play out and CSI just finished its 14th...or 15th season...I don't remember now. I'm looking forward to watching Law & Order: SVU and Criminal Minds tomorrow night.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms

Now that we're nearing the end, I've found this season of SH to have been a step down from S1. I suspect the extended episode order may have affected things. The season has been a little bloated in terms of freaks-of-the-week affairs (see 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 2.13).

And the extension of episodes also drew out the Crane family drama (and also Abraham's lovesick drive), so it felt like less progress was being made, like they were spinning their wheels (so it got old). I also don't think they've managed to flesh out Katrina to competent effect, and I continue to wonder what the point of Hawley was (other than to be an amoral foil and serve as the go-to relics guy, which I thought Jenny was supposed to be). I'm also unsure, in retrospect, whether Frank's arc was worthwhile.

They had some good ideas and moments, but they often didn't come together. The freshman season was the superior one. Though I am nonetheless interested in seeing what the finale will bring.

In other TV news, Sunday's B99 was great. Gravity Falls aired a new episode (at last!) yesterday, and it was excellent. Tonight's Flash was overall solid, and I'll watch Agent Carter tomorrow (it's almost over!). And tomorrow is new Arrow.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Better Call Saul, which thus far has been excellent (naturally, with that Gilligan pedigree). Michael Mando plays a significant character, and I enjoy his work on Orphan Black. He's once more stellar here (as is everyone, really).

Last edited:

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
I don't usually watch live action shows, I tend to lean towards comedy/sitcom animated series. I've recently stumbled upon a show called 'Impractical Jokers' not to be confused with the British version. The American version is a show which takes place among 4 life long friends who are all aspiring comedians. They propel each other into awkward public situations with an earpiece in their ears and must do and say exactly as they are told.

It seems stupid on the surface and like I said I NEVER watch live action shows, this one just needs to be seen to be understood. The cast members have great chemistry and you really feel for them when they lose and are punished. The show is 30 minutes of pure laughter and I love it, I would recommend it to any who enjoys great American Comedy.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think I may have heard of Impractical Jokers, and/or seen brief snippets. It does sound rather zany.

Speaking of comedy, I've caught up on Comedy Central's "Broad City", It concerns two female friends living in New York, living and navigating life (which includes silliness, raunchiness, getting high, enduring their jobs, partying, getting laid, getting embroiled in hijinks, etc.).

It's not laugh-out-loud funny for me, but I do find it entertaining, and sometimes they'll have a good zinger. The rapport between the two leads (Abbi and Ilana) is great. And Hannibal Buress as Lincoln has some funnily absurd lines.

The show strikes me as a less surrealist Louie starring female characters (and helmed by women).

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've seen the name pop up, but I haven't checked it out. Perhaps I should, since a few shows I've been following are ending their seasons.

TV impressions dump:

-Tonight was the season finale of Sleepy Hollow. An enjoyable episode that draws heavily on the show's history, and ending with a return to the old status quo.

But even so, the second season was a clear step down. Lots of good ideas and moments, but it never quite gelled, nor had the same focus as S1. I would say that the longer episode order, as well as the writers floundering with how to handle secondary characters (Katrina foremost, but also Henry, Abraham, Nick, and Irving to various degrees), hurt things like pacing and character progression.

Still, given how things ended, S3 has the opportunity to start some major course-correction. Hopefully, the showrunners take the opportunity.

-We also had Better Call Saul, which was great. Right out the gate, BCS has a clear and confident vision. It's as methodical as Breaking Bad was, yet is already shaping up to have its own identity, mostly thanks to how Saul differs from Walter White. Not quite as intense as BB, but nonetheless interesting and engaging fare.

-Marvel's Agent Carter has its season (series?) finale tomorrow. This eight-episode run has been fantastic, and I'd certainly like to see more Peggy Carter on the screen. Agent Carter has definitely become one of my fave MCU offerings, and I'm eager to see how this season's conflict resolves.

-Speaking of superheroes, The Flash has been great, and I dug last week's episode (Firestorm and Grodd!). And the next episode promises huge developments, but it's on a month-long hiatus. 8(

I'm enjoying The Flash more than Arrow, but Arrow is still decent. This season kind of feels like its meandering with its plotlines (the League, the Canary, Palmer). But I'm liking the prominence of Thea this season as she gets drawn into the fold.

-I've caught up on (and have been following) Adventure Time and Steven Universe. I dig the way character, world, lore, and themes come together, and how both shows are pretty inventive, able to take surprising turns. We had a Susan Strong episode in AT last week, which was neat. And SU had some good Steven-Connie stuff and a continuation of the Future Vision stuff. Next, we're getting Jake-TV and Greg-Amethyst interactions, which should be interesting. I'm always for sticking together two characters who don't often interact.

Now that SH and Agent Carter are going away, my show-watching load is going to get lighter. I wonder if I'll find new things to add in their absence.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Leonard Nimoy passed away. I am deeply saddened by this.

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/27/star-treks-leonard-nimoy-passes-at-83/
Oh ****. o_o

Admittedly, I never watched much of Star Trek TOS. But I did like what I saw of Spock (and I did like his cameo in the reboot).

What I know him best from is as William Bell from FOX's sci-fi cult hit Fringe. There, he played a scientist who had huge mythos significance, having been the lab partner of fellow scientist Walter Bishop in the 70s-80s. The radical, cutting-edge work they did during that era shaped a lot of the events in the present of the series.

Nimoy was a busy guy, so he didn't show up as often, but even after he said he would retire from acting, he came back a few times after his ostensible exit. Nimoy brought a lot of gravitas and intelligence to Bell, who was brilliant and egotistical and was less bound by ethics. While I wish we'd seen more of Bell in the flesh, I enjoyed what he brought to the screen whenever he did show up.

Fringe was my introduction to serial television, and I followed it throughout high school, from freshman year to 2013 when it ended, and I almost never missed an episode live. Not to mention the hours I spent discussing Fringe on message boards, including plenty of theorizing about the show's mysteries and universe (discussions that sometimes brought Bell into the mix).

Given how much space Fringe has taken up in my life, Nimoy has been along for the ride, even though he only played a recurring character. So with that said, I propose we salute both Bell and Nimoy by remembering this iconic departure scene.

And who can forget Nimoy's role in that Bruno Mars video? XD

In the end, he lived long and he prospered, and found peace and long life. And for that, we salute him. \\_//

Last edited:
Top Bottom