• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tap Trial Dancer - Rhythm Girl Beats the Beat

zferolie

Smash Hero
My reasoning for picking Rhythm Girl over the other choices besides not liking Glee Club is that Rhythm Girl is just enough of a blank slate that it wouldn't look out of place if she were playing table tennis, doing bon dances, or pretty much anything in Rhythm Heaven. She can pull off doing anything from Rhythm Heaven giving her much more moveset potential than other characters like Karate Joe and Wrestler who are too defined by their fighting origins to be able to pull those things off without looking weird.
I was thinking that same thing. She could easily rep the whole franchise with her moveset and look normal doing it. Karate Joe would most likely only do Karate, and thats not very reflecting of the series as a whole

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My reasoning for picking Rhythm Girl over the other choices besides not liking Glee Club is that Rhythm Girl is just enough of a blank slate that it wouldn't look out of place if she were playing table tennis, doing bon dances, or pretty much anything in Rhythm Heaven. She can pull off doing anything from Rhythm Heaven giving her much more moveset potential than other characters like Karate Joe and Wrestler who are too defined by their fighting origins to be able to pull those things off without looking weird.
Bingo.

As much as I would like those two, those are good reasons why they wouldn't perfectly represent Rhythm heaven. So a blank slate character like Rhythm Girl works the most.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And updated the OP. Glad to gave both of you new members.

And also, here's something to spark discussion. Should she have a VA or be mute in Smash if she were a fighter?

I am open to all answers.
Personally, I'd give her a VA. Also, it's not just her I'd be saying this about. I don't know exactly why, but I feel as if anyone and everyone from Rhythm Heaven, if they were playable in Smash, should have some sort of voice clip.
I don't know what it is, but I just can't see ANYONE from that series being completely silent if they were playable in Smash.

Actually, I have a question for you and everyone else, if you all don't mind me asking it. Basically, if Ms. Rhythm WERE to get a VA, should Nintendo shell out the extra money for a female J-Pop idol to voice her, or should they keep things 'simple', and just go with whoever fits her best?

I feel the exact same way. She's not even an avatar like the Villager, and yet 'Ms. Rhythm' (at least to me) seems to be enough of a blank slate to the point that she could do things in Smash (and maybe even Rhythm Heaven) and she probably wouldn't even look all that out of place. Characters like Karate Joe, the Ringside duo, or even the Samurai (while I would like them) feel very much 'defined' by their roles in Rhythm Heaven, that whatever they do would look quite odd, to say the least.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Personally, I'd give her a VA. Also, it's not just her I'd be saying this about. I don't know exactly why, but I feel as if anyone and everyone from Rhythm Heaven, if they were playable in Smash, should have some sort of voice clip.
I don't know what it is, but I just can't see ANYONE from that series being completely silent if they were playable in Smash.

Actually, I have a question for you and everyone else, if you all don't mind me asking it. Basically, if Ms. Rhythm WERE to get a VA, should Nintendo shell out the extra money for a female J-Pop idol to voice her, or should they keep things 'simple', and just go with whoever fits her best?.
Paying for J-Pop stars or any mainstream musicians for a video game are a risk. Which it would be a good idea on paper, they could sell the game at a loss. Remeber Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and how most of the catst were J-Pop singers? Those sales.

That's why I would see Sakurai playing things safe by hiring a normal VA.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I definitely think the her voice should sound like the voice clips for a lot of the rhythm games. Most notably the girl voice that counts down in the beginning of a lot of levels and similar voices like the Cheer Readers and Interviewer.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I definitely think the her voice should sound like the voice clips for a lot of the rhythm games. Most notably the girl voice that counts down in the beginning of a lot of levels and similar voices like the Cheer Readers and Interviewer.
Which would be the best route to go with for her in all honesty.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Off topic but I want to show off my Rhythm Girl puppet I made for art class last school year for an interactive art project.
I'm not a good puppeteer.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Off topic but I want to show off my Rhythm Girl puppet I made for art class last school year for an interactive art project.
I'm not a good puppeteer.

This is cute, I really like it.

Bad puppeteering or not, it was worth a try.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

zferolie

Smash Hero
That can only mean that Rhythm Heaven will have some involvement in Smash.

The best case scenario is that we will get a stage and new character.

The worst case scenario would be an Assist Trophy and the same two songs from the last Smash. I hope the latter never happens.
The more I think about it the more I would want her. if we get a RH rep she would be the best, Just wondering where I could fit her in my wanted roster... I should put them all in a signature.

Unique: Shantae, Retro(Ayumi, Lip, Mach Rider, or Donbe and Hikari), Geno, Issac, Rhythm Girl, and a Pokemon(Incieroar or Gardevoir)

Echo: Ken, Shadow, Medusa, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong, and Impa/Ms Pac Man.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The more I think about it the more I would want her. if we get a RH rep she would be the best, Just wondering where I could fit her in my wanted roster... I should put them all in a signature.

Unique: Shantae, Retro(Ayumi, Lip, Mach Rider, or Donbe and Hikari), Geno, Issac, Rhythm Girl, and a Pokemon(Incieroar or Gardevoir)

Echo: Ken, Shadow, Medusa, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong, and Impa/Ms Pac Man.
That's not bad of a list.

Most of these are good character choices.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Paying for J-Pop stars or any mainstream musicians for a video game are a risk. Which it would be a good idea on paper, they could sell the game at a loss. Remeber Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and how most of the catst were J-Pop singers? Those sales.

That's why I would see Sakurai playing things safe by hiring a normal VA.
Oh... good point. Although, now that you mention it... I wonder if Nintendo will ever take a crack at TMS ever again. I mean, considering how it was released on the Wii U (which was a failing console even before it came to that system...)

Most likely means nothing, but Rhythem Heaven got its trademark renewed today

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3190...demarks-for-disaster-day-of-crisis-elite-beat
As well as Elite Beat Agents AND Disaster: Day of Crisis (which sold poorly, right? I thought the main character got a trophy in Smash 4's Wii U collection. Raymond Bryce was his name, right?).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh... good point. Although, now that you mention it... I wonder if Nintendo will ever take a crack at TMS ever again. I mean, considering how it was released on the Wii U (which was a failing console even before it came to that system...)

As well as Elite Beat Agents AND Disaster: Day of Crisis (which sold poorly, right? I thought the main character got a trophy in Smash 4's Wii U collection. Raymond Bryce was his name, right?).
Bryce never appeared as a trophy in Smash yet. Then again, the likes of Froy and Freiya appeared there and Zangeki no Reginleiv flopped in Japan.

zferolie

Smash Hero

If Rhythm Heaven gets a stage I can see one of the music tracks on it being from Elite beat Agents

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
The problem is the only realistic song to pick from Elite Beat Agents is the main theme as that isn't a licenced song.

Hope this changes though because I would totally raise September to 100% chance of being played if it's in the game.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The problem is the only realistic song to pick from Elite Beat Agents is the main theme as that isn't a licenced song.

Hope this changes though because I would totally raise September to 100% chance of being played if it's in the game.
This is a good point.

Like Jam with the Band, Elite Beat Agent is full of license songs that would be too expensive to pay for.

This isn't like Crush 40's compositions for Sonic games, but a whole other legal can of worms.

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is a good point.

Like Jam with the Band, Elite Beat Agent is full of license songs that would be too expensive to pay for.

This isn't like Crush 40's compositions for Sonic games, but a whole other legal can of worms.
That mostly just hurts the chance of any characters from the series slightly. they could always not get a stage and only have 1 music track. Ice climbers and duck hunt only have 1 music. ROD doesn't even have a stage

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That mostly just hurts the chance of any characters from the series slightly. they could always not get a stage and only have 1 music track. Ice climbers and duck hunt only have 1 music. ROD doesn't even have a stage
Right. Poor ROB still can't get his own Gyromite stage since Brawl.

And true, I would expect just menu music for Elite Beat Agents as far as music for a possible Rhythm Heaven stage.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, if Ms. Rhythm were playable do you think she should use the concepts of alts. we have in the OP? Or should she simply just get a different colored dress for each one?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys, if Ms. Rhythm were playable do you think she should use the concepts of alts. we have in the OP? Or should she simply just get a different colored dress for each one?
It depends if they will overly ambitious with the costumes.

In a perfect world, she will get all of he unique outfits and hairstyles. But knowing how most of the roster is handled, it will be plain recolors.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It depends if they will overly ambitious with the costumes.

In a perfect world, she will get all of he unique outfits and hairstyles. But knowing how most of the roster is handled, it will be plain recolors.
This.,

As cool it would be to see her have all thsoe costumes, it just won't happen.

I mean, we have few unique costumes in Smash so far as it is. Mario's new costumes, Meta Ridley, The Tunic of the Wild for Link, Crafted World Yoshi, and so forth.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So in the shantae thread we were posting our crazy wish wish wnts for this next direct, and I went a bit crazy, if does involve our gal here so wanted to share as well

We will get 3 reveal trailers, one start, one middle, and one end, and they all will feature 2 unique newcomers, as that one twitter user said(he said 1 was but I am just saying all three will for most pip dream hype) between them we will get other info, but also 3 echos between the first 2 and 3 echos before the last trailer. Total 12 characters.

Direct starts, Upbeat music is playing, and Inkling, Wii Fit Trainer, and Daisy are dancing to the rhythm, after a little bit the music changes and they try to adapt their dancing, a voice then says Nice try, and a new dancer dancers onto screen. 'RHYTHMN GAL MOVES TO THE BEAT" we then see a short gameplay trailer for her. After wards, all 4 are dancing, and the music suddenly stops, they all look to where the music jukebox is as the camera moves over to the mysterious character Purple pony tail, shaking hips, and a familiar song starts to play, "SHANTAE DANCERS THROUGH THE DANGER" Gameplay for Shantae shows, and trailer ends with Rhythmn gal and Shantae bumping hips as the other girls clap.

Then Sakurai goes over these 2 fighters in a little bit of detail, talking about their stages as well. Then mentions 3 echos incoming: Dixie Kong, Ken, and Impa. Sakurai then starts to talk about Spirits mode, what it details(subspace like mode with story and bosses)

Afterwards Sakurai says check out this next reveal trailer. It deals with spirit mode, and we see villains/ bosses fighting the playable characters. Before Dr. Eggman can get a blow onto someone, the ground erupts and earth stops the attack. The heroes look over and see a hero above the rubble, with a yellow scarf and sword. "ISAAC UNLEASHES HIS PSYENERGY!" Gameplay trailer starts for him. After that while he is fighting he is using growth on Bowser when suddenly a torrent of magical bullets fly through the sky, hitting bowser and knocking him away. From the sky a Miko flies in slowly. "REIMU UNLESHES THE SPELL CARD!" Gameplay for her, and trailer ends with Reimu and Isaac looking at some of the defeated villains as a gap opens up in the distance, an Yukari pears through and smiles...

Sakurai talks about these 2 slightly, stages and items. He mentions here are the final 3 echo Fighters, and we may have seen some of them in the last trailer: Medusa, Shadow the Hedgehog and Ms. Pac-Man. Then he goes into the other single player modes, trophies, and Online mode. As the direct is ending Sakurai thanks everyone and hopes we will all enjoy this final reveal trailer.

Opens up with a Wrestling ring, an announcer is saying "Welcome to the main event, a 4 player free for all!" "In the red corner, KIRBY! In the blue corner, KING K ROOL!, in the Yellow Corner, LITTLE MAC! And in the green corner..... INCINEROAR!" "INCINEROAR STEALS THE SPOTLIGHT!" Gameplay trailer for him. Afterwards, Incineroar is holding up the championship belt when suddenly the lights go dark. Incineroar looks around and suddenly a spotlight shines up on the rafters, with the shadow being revealed on the mat, spikey hair, large feet, and an odd looking weapon. "Hope its not to late to jump in!" "SORA UNLOCKS THE DOOR!" Sora jumps down and we get his gameplay trailer, and the whole thing ends with Sora and Incineroar after the fight, arms one each other with big goofy smiles.

And that there is what I feel would be the most epic roster, beaking the grinch leak, and my pipe dream. I doubt this would ever happen, but man, what a ride if it did...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Tap Trial Girl seemed to be the only major RH rep to survive the Direct Massacre...
She still has a chance as DLC

zferolie

Smash Hero
So... Tap Trial Girl seemed to be the only major RH rep to survive the Direct Massacre...
Don't think SPirits deconfirm dlc characters, but still nice to know she could be one of the dlc fighters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You wouldn't believe how in shock I was to come across that very fact. Out of all the RH "mascots", she ended up out-lasting them. Still, she may very well have still gotten killed by Galeem and became a Spirit, so we shouldn't rule that out...

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
You wouldn't believe how in shock I was to come across that very fact. Out of all the RH "mascots", she ended up out-lasting them. Still, she may very well have still gotten killed by Galeem and became a Spirit, so we shouldn't rule that out...
Yea, definitley! But for now it does seem strange...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... the game's been datamined, with all of the Spirits known...
Funny thing is, Rhythm Girl isn't one of them
Either she was too niche, or Sakurai might have other plans for her...

Even the Sick Beats Doctor has a Spirit, but no Rhythm Girl...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Very weird to leave her out, huh.
Indeed. She's like the only first party character left out that is a big part of their series. She has been in almost every game and has the most promotion. Seems odd she didn't get a spirit...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, considering Smash Ultimate will periodically have updates that apparently add Spirits, does anyone think Ms. Rhythm will be added as a Spirit?

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, any Rhythm Heaven character would make me happy at this point.
Support +1!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, does anyone think Rhythm Girl will be one of those 'event-exclusive' Spirits, found in the peridic Spirit fests Smash Ultimate has been holding as of recent?

Top Bottom