• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash's online is a joke in 2014.

karama

Smash Rookie
I wouldnt call ss4 online a joke since its ALOT more stable than brawls online that you cant even compare the 2. It took me like 3 secs to find a player and I had near to virtually no lag at all. I do agree online mode needs to be worked on to not only encourage more competitive play and social interaction between players but make online connections even more stable(which is the most important thing for this mode).

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
For Glory is a lie? Where is the glory? No ranking. Limited taunting. How can you name it that and have no method of gushing skill/bragging?

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
For Glory is a lie? Where is the glory? No ranking. Limited taunting. How can you name it that and have no method of gushing skill/bragging?

Grackin

Smash Rookie
Make sure you mention these issues to Nintendo via your post-play survey on Club Nintendo. Don't forget to mention that we hate having to select a nickname multiple times in a single session.

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
Well, there should be leaderboards implemented for For Glory mode. Or maybe an alternative could be having GSP in For Glory with rankings. So your first rank would be amateur and to level up a rank, you would have to get maybe 10 000 or so to level up to the next rank (which could be Novice).

bandef

Smash Rookie
I wouldnt call ss4 online a joke since its ALOT more stable than brawls online that you cant even compare the 2. It took me like 3 secs to find a player and I had near to virtually no lag at all. I do agree online mode needs to be worked on to not only encourage more competitive play and social interaction between players but make online connections even more stable(which is the most important thing for this mode).
I don't compare the online of Smash 4 and the online of Brawl because I think that the Wii is a gamecube v2. I compare it to others online of its generation like the PS3. And the result isn't satisfactory.

Anyway i edited my post for add that

I also realize that 2v2 mode has been completely set aside. In addition to never being able to see a 2v2 team climb the labber, it's impossible to choose the rules to train for future tournamtents. Also, the Friendly fire rule is disable (basic) and it's impossible to choose stocks. How can we call this mode 2v2 For Glory ? Nintendo makes us once again a huge joke. Don't they know the cult Wombo combo ?

KingofEvil

Smash Rookie
Oh, well if you can't be bothered than you have no right to complain about anything.

http://www.smashladder.com/

This takes some effort but is very worth it.
Let me get this straight.... just because I don't want to put in tons of extra work that should never be necessary, I shouldn't be allowed to come here and voice my opinion?

Stay classy....

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Let me get this straight.... just because I don't want to put in tons of extra work that should never be necessary, I shouldn't be allowed to come here and voice my opinion?

Stay classy....
You can voice your opinion, and I can voice mine too. It's not a lot of extra work, if it is for you I would love to see what else is "a lot of work" for you.

Stay lazy ;)

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
The friendly fire thing for 2v2 has always been stupid anyway.
It's necessary for competitive play. There are too many possible combos and one touch kills without it. Trust me, without friendly fire it would be far less balanced.

bandef

Smash Rookie
i cant play in your smashladder fansite anyway because i m french

i prefer nintendo make matchmaking/ladder with different server like EU

Scorpy571

Smash Rookie
Well I wouldn't say that it's a joke, but it sure didn't made me want to play on it. See, if you don't play through the ''with friends'' option, you might end up being disappointed. Maybe it's just me, but hey, here goes nothing..

For me, it's the timer restriction that comes with the matchmaking and the general defensive playstyle combined that annoys me. 2 MINUTES!

4vs4 For Fun/Glory - Okay sure, I guess items or not, 2 minutes MIGHT be enough. It's chaotic and stuff happens all over the place but, yet again, it still feels a little too short but it's acceptable.

2vs2 For Fun/Glory - This.. ooh nooo. I was REALLY excited to play with a friend, on the same couch, againts other peoples online. Until... TIME! Okay fine. With for fun, it kinda works because there is some crazy insta kill items around that might pop up and rack up the score quickly. Still would of been better if it had been longer but whatever. For glory though? Noooope. Nuh uh, not with the general defensive play style. Last time I played wtih my friend, we fought a bunch of different peoples who stacked and chucked projectiles all day, baby! The fun is real when I have to avoid two barrages of projectiles to get close to only realise that I don't have much options to begin with. If you fight good players that turtles and keeps running away, playing aggressively is a nightmare! You'll end up eating a bunch of projectiles in the face until your % is off the charts and THEN they will actually come for you. Also, if you get KO'd first, it just gives people an extra incentive to keep you out and run out the clock. Comebacks are possible, but given the mighty 2 minutes, if you don't setup something perfectly.. it's time out boys! How many suicidal-hail-mary falcon punch did I had to try to land just to get that desperate kill for a SUDDEN DEATH? Too much! in case you wondered. Oh you know it's an exciting match when the winning team has +1 / 0. But i'm glad though, with the amount of sodium I perspired, I was able to fill up many bags for winter! It's over for the ice, I win.

But seriously, it's just not fun to play. FD only gets old really fast, even more in 2vs2 which is simply silly. Too many times we lost by timeout because we couldn't get that last hit on someone who kept running away. It's a strategy, fine. Git gud? Why yes. It's just a matter of taste and all the default settings online, to me, are bad or mediocre at best. The timer is too short and 3 stocks for 1vs1 would have been better. There's not much heavy laggin' though so i'll give it that.

Also the whole competitive aspect is non existant, no leaderboards and no rankings? I get it that Nintendo and all but come on. I don't want to go through some website someone made to get that competitive satisfaction i'm looking for. I wanted it in the game.

So it all comes down to playing other peoples through ''with friends'' to be able to play with better settings and to be able to fight on anything other than just FD. THIS is where you will get the best online experience but then again, if you don't have many friends to play with, you'll have to go online to look for peoples to add and hey, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't feel like it because I sure don't want to go through all this process myself.

At the end of the day, the online isn't a joke. It's overall fine, I guess. But it was pretty disappointing, again, to me. It didn't deliver what I was expecting so that's why i'm staying away. But I know for sure that many players are having a blast 24/7 with it and that's awesome. I'll just stick with my offline crew and call it a day. GG

Last edited:

NoConn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkstar1120
But what if Ranking and Leader-boards drove us TOO FAR!?

What if we were smashing along happily only to accidentally destroy the wrong 7 year old, sending him plummeting to the bottom of the leader-board? We wouldn't want that, would we? That would make the game competitive, non-family friendly and a fighting game. Thats not what this is at all!

/s

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
But what if Ranking and Leader-boards drove us TOO FAR!?

What if we were smashing along happily only to accidentally destroy the wrong 7 year old, sending him plummeting to the bottom of the leader-board? We wouldn't want that, would we? That would make the game competitive, non-family friendly and a fighting game. Thats not what this is at all!
that's very cute how you decide to use Nintendo's logic...

though the last part does present a potent point. it's predominantly Smash fans that really see this series as capable of competitive play, and the mainstream crowd only recently started to humor the idea of playing Smash competitively... the day Nintendo makes official leaderboards would probably happen on the same day Smash is officially recognized as a fighter even by your clueless joe.

in the meantime, there are ranking ladders all over the net, go join one if you want a ranking to brag about. that's how some of the newer pros got big in Brawl. Nintendo Dojo has a ladder that isn't hard to take part in.

bandef

Smash Rookie
I m so sad to see SF4 SF5 with 500 000$ cashprize and high e sport

we got a for glory

WO WO WO.

Nintendo plz. block in 2000

0 evolution coz we can play online with melee btw

NoConn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkstar1120
that's very cute how you decide to use Nintendo's logic...

though the last part does present a potent point. it's predominantly Smash fans that really see this series as capable of competitive play, and the mainstream crowd only recently started to humor the idea of playing Smash competitively... the day Nintendo makes official leaderboards would probably happen on the same day Smash is officially recognized as a fighter even by your clueless joe.

in the meantime, there are ranking ladders all over the net, go join one if you want a ranking to brag about. that's how some of the newer pros got big in Brawl. Nintendo Dojo has a ladder that isn't hard to take part in.
I agree completely. As much as I would like to see a Nintendo sanctioned tourney (maybe even something akin to Dota2's The International) it will most likely never happen. But your point about leaderboards is good, I just wish there was one run by Nintendo. I feel like having it easier accessible would allow for a growth in the competitive community and it would most certainly be a better alternative to "Global Smash Power"

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't find Sm4sh as fun as I did on release, now I go on For Glory and lose a game or two and get fed up then play something else. I really think that rules should be voted on or something like vote on x amount of stocks, x stages are allowed, etc.

I think I might just play melee until my friends buy the game.

Last edited:

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
personally i think there should have been a leader board system based on W/L , win%, etc... and based on all that would pair you up with others that have about the same as you

Loki700

Smash Rookie
NNID
Colonel_Loki
3DS FC
3239-3867-0909
My main gripe is the same as MK8, which is that you can't form a party with a friend and then go play random games. My friend and I used to play together a lot, but now we don't get much of a chance to play on the same console but we really like playing team smash online and such.

bandef

Smash Rookie
A matchmaking leader board with W/L versus different opposent so

because actually the % winrate means nothing

u can leave versus strong opposent and stay versus novice for up your stats

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
As an American, I can say that playing others from other regions is a pain in the arse...seriously, there should be Regional Matchmaking, ala Mario Kart 8(Which, when you look at Smash's options, is relatively pathetic given how much more is in this game compared to MK8).

Heck, I even use a LAN adapter I've had since 2010, and I still face countless matches full of lag because a lot of people have no idea what the thing is or where to get one or just cannot get one. That's why I stay away from For Fun or For Glory FFA, because the results are always the same-intense lag with a couple of people leaving early to not deal with the horrible lag.

Last edited:

deadcult

Smash Cadet
I've gotten over the no ranking system even though it would tremendously help this game. But playing as pikachu the lag is just absurd.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
you guys should just try out smashladder.com

that's a place where it has a ranking system AND YOU DON"T JUST PLAY ON FINAL DESTINATION against other players.

its more close to tourney rules.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman

I wish I could do something to get the DLC that this game deserves.
Today, all competitive games have a ranking (system) and a matchmaking. For fun mode is enough if you just want to have fun as its name indicates and the lack of matchmaking makes the game frustrating for a beginner who can't play against opponents of his level.
The possibility to know our progression offers an unlimited game time.
I believe that with the evolution of eSports, it is necessary to Smash to be a part of it and as a result encourage new talents.
In addition, before the release of the game, a ranking "smash power" was envisaged...

Moreover, I believe that it's unfortunate if the game can't support a chat in game. Personally, I find very annoying to have to type a boring and long code for each friend request.
why can't Nintendo create an official website with player rankings and those friends.

I am conscious that the game was initially conceived as a party game, and that only the sale of this game is enough to satisfy Sakurai but when we look at the success that got Melee to Evo, one of the most prestigious tournaments of games versus and at the current popularity of competitive games such as League Of Legends or CS:GO (these games got a ranking system). You know that it would be sad to pass next to eSport and ranked...

When Super Smash Wii U was released, this game was the 2nd most viewed game on Twitch with over 50,000 views. This game got a huge potential. Nintendo has to do something, because MK8 got a ranking system since THE WII VERSION. To my mind, it would be a mistake to don't give a chance to Super Smash and let it sink like Melee or Brawl: a lot of people will quit the game and it will survive through a small elitist community who has financial means to travel to LAN to test their abilities.
Before, the lack of technology doesn’t allow Nintendo to rectify the situation but now, it is possible with the DLC (like they did in the recent patch, the future addition of Mewtwo...)
Do we have to wait 6 years before having an online fighting game like Street Fighter 4 ?
I hope that this request will be heard and that we'll get a competitive DLC because I’ll become too old to spend my time on the next Smash...

EDIT: I also realize that 2v2 mode has been completely set aside. In addition to never being able to see a 2v2 team climb the labber, it's impossible to choose the rules to train for future tournamtents. Also, the Friendly fire rule is disable (basic) and it's impossible to choose stocks. How can we call this mode 2v2 For Glory ? Nintendo makes us once again a huge joke. Don't they know the cult Wombo combo ?
Smash bros was tasked with the idea that it's a family game. It needed to be accessible online for two totally different sets of players. That's why it needed to be separated from For Glory and For Fun. This is also why they don't have in game chat. So that they don't get 100 10 year olds shouting racial slurs and making the game less family accessible.

Personally i love the online set up. Playing a huge range of different skilled players is benefiting me much more than just playing against the top brass. Without this i don't know that i would have ever learn how to easily trump projectile spammers. Plus it keeps it so i play against so many different characters and don't spend 90% of my time against rosa/diddy/shiek. And every once in a while i still play against a player i judge to be high level, and i can stick around and play 10 games against him and learn to win. For Glory has been a great way to train.

I don't think smash bros doesn't have rankings because it's behind the times, they don't have rankings because they want the game to be fun and they will have online tournaments to determine the best players.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
The problem I have with Smash 4's online is how limited it is for a fighting game, it lacks features and basic customization of matches that are in For Friends but no For Glory or any other mode.

Last edited:

bandef

Smash Rookie
in my opinion

for fun is enough for family casual players

and for glory deserv ranking

versus fighthing without rank in 2014 is ridiculous

Maybe sakurai dont want a competitif games

i m just bait by DLC and hope actually

not gonna make the same mistake for the next smash

Butch2884

Smash Rookie
NNID
Butch2884
The matchmaking could be better, and it would be nice to be able to tell where a player is from before you play them instead of after, but I have enjoyed online for the most part.

Viet Pham

Smash Rookie
I'm probably going to get severely flamed for this but... what does everyone think about future installments of Smash coming to other consoles such as Xbone and PS4? It goes without saying that Nintendo is lacking in the 3rd party support and Nintendo might eventually become a software company like Sega (but will be way more likely to be successful). I, for one, am a regular Xbone player and would relish an online experience of Smash on Xbox Live. My only gripe is that once it makes the jump, the local MP would take a hit like every other game that has gone to those systems.

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
Brawls online was better. In smash 4 you can't even chose the stages and items you want. So most of the time you are stuck on crap stages no one wants to play with annoying items no one wants. All the while getting bans for "targeting an individual player" or for leaving a laggy match. They only good thing is the new option for 1v1s and it's easier to find a match.

bandef

Smash Rookie
i have play brawl

but brawl is on Wii

wii= gamecub 1.5

its logic to get trash online at this generation

wii u= xbone360= street fighter 4

no excuse for smash4

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
The online is at least playable so I give it that,I would rather deal with bad lag every once in a while than putting up with constant input lag and taunt party's that plagued brawl(also no more 12 digit friend codes)

If we're talking about fixing things then they should start with for glory 2v2 like changing it to stock instead of time and being able to team up with a friend online.

Top Bottom