• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The sonic hate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic hate can get pretty bad sadly. I mean, I usually hear worse things about ZSS, but Sonic hate sure has its own flavor of tenacity.
The sad part is I don't have any real way to retort to people when I get criticized for playing Sonic other than cautiously advising them to practice the matchup. And even with the best intentions that, uh...doesn't always go well.

I usually try to be really supportive of other players when I have a match with them as Sonic, especially online. As a result, surprisingly even in a fair portion of my For Glory matches, people are just happy that I was good about the match.
Though some will still ask me to switch characters for the next match.

Sonic DOES have a lot of exploitable flaws. Maybe not always easily exploitable, but the flaws are definitely there.
BSBS for one, and then personally, the awkward homing attack miss into terrible endlag.
Reminding people of flaws like these still doesn't keep them from complaining though, so...eh.

CHICO 93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperCheekNasty
Yeah i dont understand the hate for sonic.... i was watching a tourny on twitch the other day and the TO paid this dude 20 bucks to stop playing sonic and switch to cloud and then the kid crushed as cloud it was awesome

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Yeah i dont understand the hate for sonic.... i was watching a tourny on twitch the other day and the TO paid this dude 20 bucks to stop playing sonic and switch to cloud and then the kid crushed as cloud it was awesome
Woah, do you have a link for this?!
I feel like instances like that prove that Sonic players aren't bad players even more! That's one of the reasons why I work hard on my secondaries.

Izzirez

Smash Rookie
Luckily, in my area nobody mains Sonic and the other day was my first time playing Smash on Wii U. I took games and sets off people, but almost everyone was able to beat me. Now, once I am able to practice up (Buying a Wii U this week), there won't be any excuses that any of the better players will be able to make.

It'll still happen, but I can at least point to them all beating me at some point.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
This should not even be allowed. This TO is the worst.

CHICO 93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperCheekNasty
Woah, do you have a link for this?!
I feel like instances like that prove that Sonic players aren't bad players even more! That's one of the reasons why I work hard on my secondaries.
Yaa it was a weekly on twitch dont remeber what tourny it was but i do remeber some ryu player beating some girl who mained roslina in grand finales

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Agh, that doesn't help me much... Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky and run across it while searching then.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Spin dash is why I hate Sonic. It's literally the definition of brain dead. It comes at you lightning speed and if you connect, sweet free unanswered combos. If you don't and hit shield? Ok then you just fly away and suffer 0 consequence and start up another spin dash or something else.

It's literally effort-less and consistently wins because we are not robotic to fight someone coming at us that quickly, regardless of the game. If someone shot a bullet at me I couldn't dodge that either.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic's spins are very easy to block, and slightly less easier to counter after shielding them. Bad Sonic's won't know what to do if you shield their spins.
For higher level Sonics, what makes his spins truly difficult is how the Sonic uses them after he realizes that you know how to shield them.

If you are having trouble with his spins, practice out of shield counters. Quite a few characters can shield the hit, and then immediately jump and strike. Ganondorf is a perfect example.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Spin dash is why I hate Sonic. It's literally the definition of brain dead. It comes at you lightning speed and if you connect, sweet free unanswered combos. If you don't and hit shield? Ok then you just fly away and suffer 0 consequence and start up another spin dash or something else.

It's literally effort-less and consistently wins because we are not robotic to fight someone coming at us that quickly, regardless of the game. If someone shot a bullet at me I couldn't dodge that either.
lmfao

:093:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011

Lol this guy

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Lmao at the people who think Sonic can literally "Spin2win". If you actually tried to do that in a tournament setting I promise that you would not get any farther then the 2nd match unless your opponents are just bad. It's also pretty dumb to ***** about a character when you play as like a bottom 5 low tier lol. You have no excuse to be complaining when your using one of the worst in the game, of course Sonic is gonna seem unbeatable when your character is bad. Then there's also just the case of people not willing to spend time learning the MU because they're too lazy to understand how it works but have ALL the energy they need to ***** about him 24/7. I used to have a friend who had a real problem with Sonic, even going as far as to call him unbeatable. Then we had a long smash session grinding the MU, and guess what? He actually goes positive with me now, I can barely even keep up with him sometimes. He's stopped saying he's unbeatable, actually respects the character, and even gives ME advice for the MU now. All because he sat down and tried to understand how to deal with the character, imagine that.

TL:DR Either find a secondary, learn the mu, or stfu and stop complaining.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice

But in all seriousness...

I don't dislike Sonic for his moveset and everything he has in the game, I was a Sonic main too.
I main characters mainly because I love what game and genre they represent, including Sonic. After awhile though, it started getting to me with the horrid games SEGA has been making lately and usually I ignore people that bring this to attention.
Though Sonic Boom left a very dissatisfing taste in my mouth for the blur and overall lost interest in him as my very main. As soon as that happened, it became like dominoes, losing interest in his games, comics, sketching him, and art of him(the community itself wasn't helping either).

This is why I dislike Sonic, only because of his representation.

Sonic can be tough opponent though, no doubt. As a Pikachu main, he makes my Pikachu a run for it's money sometimes depending on the beholder. Which is good, I enjoy a challenge, rather than a opponent being overly defensive.

Besides, tables turn when I pull out my Duck Hunt on Sanic..

Last edited:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011

But in all seriousness...

I don't dislike Sonic for his moveset and everything he has in the game, I was a Sonic main too.
I main characters mainly because I love what game and genre they represent, including Sonic. After awhile though, it started getting to me with the horrid games SEGA has been making lately and usually I ignore people that bring this to attention.
Though Sonic Boom left a very dissatisfing taste in my mouth for the blur and overall lost interest in him as my very main. As soon as that happened, it became like dominoes, losing interest in his games, comics, sketching him, and art of him(the community itself wasn't helping either).

Besides, tables turn when I pull out my Duck Hunt on Sanic..
Firstly, love the miiverse picture!

Yeah I get where you're coming from with recent decisions SEGA has been making with the Sonic brand. I despise Sonic Boom with a passion but I can't necessarily hate on it because it's well received by most fans and it is bringing Sonic to a new generation. But it does bum me out that Boom and then recent overly silly humor is where Sonic seems to be going...I'll always have the old Sonic SATam cartoon to fall back on. Although I think Archie comics is still on point, they blend the humor pretty well and I like Ian Flynn's writing, but I seem to be in the majority there.

And Duck hunt is the bane of my existence lol

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Firstly, love the miiverse picture!

Yeah I get where you're coming from with recent decisions SEGA has been making with the Sonic brand. I despise Sonic Boom with a passion but I can't necessarily hate on it because it's well received by most fans and it is bringing Sonic to a new generation. But it does bum me out that Boom and then recent overly silly humor is where Sonic seems to be going...I'll always have the old Sonic SATam cartoon to fall back on. Although I think Archie comics is still on point, they blend the humor pretty well and I like Ian Flynn's writing, but I seem to be in the majority there.

And Duck hunt is the bane of my existence lol
Thank you, I try!

I would hope that they step faaaaaaaaarrrr away from the boom franchise, but I don't even care that much anymore to put my inputs on it.
The comics are still enjoyable though and still feels like the real deal when it comes to writing of the old Sonic. Still, I'm not into it as much I was before.

I honestly don't even think Sonic would make it to the next Smash since he's been such a flop for awhile and feels like he's been hogging on Nintendo's back now.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I'm pretty sure none of the Sonic games on the Wii u sold particularly well and in general just didn't get good reception from the fans, not to mention that there were only two of them unless you include the mario and sonic spinoff thingy.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I'm pretty sure none of the Sonic games on the Wii u sold particularly well and in general just didn't get good reception from the fans, not to mention that there were only two of them unless you include the mario and sonic spinoff thingy.
I thought Lost World was good, Boom on the other hand. Bleh

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I thought Lost World was good, Boom on the other hand. Bleh
Lost World was an alright game my only complaints is that they didn't explain why the wisps are there and I thought the Deadly Six were Dull and Stupid Characters. Other than that the game was alright.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Lost World was an alright game my only complaints is that they didn't explain why the wisps are there and I thought the Deadly Six were Dull and Stupid Characters. Other than that the game was alright.
I was mainly talking gameplay wise, because yes the Deadly Six was super boring and cliche. Wisps were just thrown in there and the only one that served a cool function was the laser, and maybe the asteroid one.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
You do realize you're in a "Sonic hate" thread.....right?

......right?
Yes, he does.
The point he's trying to get across is that lots of popular lower tier characters struggle with Sonic, so Its a given that a lot of people will struggle with Sonic as a result.
But when players learn the MU, then things change. Players who have learned the MU don't struggle with Sonic's spins and movements like players who haven't (sounds intuitive, but I'm making a point here).

The reason he getting after you is because Sonic's spins get blocked far too easily by people who know what they're doing.
Its the people who don't understand the match up and STILL complain that causes most of the Sonic hate. So learn the MU.

HOWEVER - Learning the match up means more than just fighting a few lv 9 CPUs. (though if you have nothing else, I guess its something?)
It means:
Reading up on a character's general weakness and strengths
Watching other people play as and against the character
Practicing fighting against the character
Practice playing as the character.
And most importantly -> learning YOUR character's weakness and strengths against him.

I used to hate on easy- bake - combo ZSS players all the time until I took the time to learn the MU. Now I understand what does what in battle, what to do and what to avoid. Its still not an easy fight, but its MUCH easier now than it was before I knew the match up.
All this to say: Practice. In time, as long as you aren't stubborn, you'll get a handle on how to go against Sonic. You won't win every match (no one does against any character), but you'll do far better and have far less to complain about.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm closing this thread now as it's been long-lived enough. Not interested in seeing rehashed arguments, perpetuated ignorance, etc.

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom