• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Frame of Mind

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
I don't applaud myself on being a great sonic, or even a decent sonic. But after almost 2 month of just throwing myself into brick walls of Ike smashes, Lucario auras and Peach turnips, I feel like I've finally learned how to grasp Sonic as a character.

I'd first like to throw a shoutout to DarkNES who is one of the most talented sonics i've seen and has helped me a ton from the basic running shield grab to spin shooting and sideB homing cancel. Anyway, the key to playing sonic from my experience is to play the game 5 seconds ahead of the actual game. you have to do what you want to happen 5 seconds before it is "supposed" to happen and then look back to see if it worked.

A good friend of mine was telling me how each character has a frame of mind you need to stick with to play the character well (Toon Link - pretend like you're always being chased) and I just think that this is something I have yet to see or hear. It's probably basic knowledge to the majority of players, but for new kids trying to understand why they keep getting blasted by a samus missile or a DeDeDe hammer "resetting" your mind to be in tune with sonic is one of the first steps to take when trying out sonic.

Trying to play campy or gracefully like a Marth or calculated like a Snake just wont cut it, you might land some kills and come close. But you'll be found out for using the same tricks and approaches and combos within 2 stocks and you'll probably become very frustrated having spend hours learning these technical tricks and still getting torn up by a wario.

Play fast, think faster and everytime you're about to do some kind of attack or dodge or action; do something else. (More advice from DarkNES) Mix up your offense with every approach, fake an approach or run through your opponent. I think this will turn a fair sonic into a great sonic and a predictable sonic into a force to be reckoned with.

Sorry this post doesn't hold any super combo technical tricks, but I really feel like this is what is most important when trying to learn sonic. Thanks and Enjoy :)

Infamous Chimera

Smash Cadet
How ironic, I was just testing this exact thing out today and got similar results. I got quicker kills and dodged attacks that would have killed me because of this.

Great job! :)

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
Well said! Tricking out your opponents by constantly changing your approach especially useful for Sonic, because of his low priority, and thanks to his speed.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So does this mean playing Wifi = you become better offline? lol

better get to it then
-----

jk

interesting mindset though lol. make up the illusion of speed by using premonition

PS, i think it's funny, seeing the different characters' mindset. The "Ganondorf mindset" apparently is to play as though he's the worst character in the game (eg, super defensive?) while you're suggesting to play ahead of them as Sonic, which sounds pretty much in character XD

R4ZE

Smash Ace
confusious one say ,the trick to tricking your opponent, is to trick yourself.. ahhhhhhhhh

triple

Smash Rookie
Great post. Being sporadic is a large part of being good with any character, but it is imperative with sonic. His speed is best utilized when it is accompanied with unpredictability.

along with using his speed, knowing when to combo or continuously attack is huge too.

I also like to float around a lot before i attack. I will throw a bunch of jump dodges around and run through my opponent or run/stop a couple times before I attack. It seems to fruserate an opponent because they dont know when I am oging to attack. using sonics speed to conrtol the game is key.

PLaying five seconds ahead is a great mindset. I am going to try that.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
somtimes i think sonic would be best suited as a primarily defencive character.

his mobility allows for him to avade almost anything an opponent can throw.

the only time sonic ever gets hit is after he misses an attack.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
You need to change your playstyle based on who they are and how they play. This holds true with most non-top tier characters. You should ALWAYS be thinking at least 3-4 moves ahead. A yomi layer mindset is INCREDIBLY important as Sonic, since you always need to know what you're opponent is most likely to do, and how to punish it. This is why I always lose the first couple rounds to a new character, unless the player is horrendous. Sonic is very analytical, and very mindgamey. It's like playing Link from Melee, with a LOT less priority/amazing combos/anything. Your combos are exclusively limited to you out-thinking and outplaying your opponent.

Do not lock yourself into one mindset, that's what gets you owned. Play smart, and don't be afraid to counter-pick if you need to. Sticking with Sonic during a tournament just so that you can prove he's not terrible is what's called playing "on tilt", in poker. You get too emotionally involved, and then you get owned.

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
somtimes i think sonic would be best suited as a primarily defencive character.

his mobility allows for him to avade almost anything an opponent can throw.

the only time sonic ever gets hit is after he misses an attack.
I dont think I can agree with this as whenever i try to play defensively I get worked by projectiles/range attacks and 1 slip up spells death. TLink would probably be better suited to a strategy of hit and run defense.

@Zeal - I agree 110% but for most new kids trying to pick up sonic and having no starting point other than "hes super fast and doesn't hit very hard" and trying to spam spin dashes and Fsmashes, it is a good place to start. Adaptability is key, but you have to have something to adapt from. I know you're an amazing player, and you see the big picture and the need to change on the fly as well as pin point accuracy and I would send any decent sonic to you or NES or the other great sonics on these boards for "higher level" training. I just wanted to share a starting perspective. Trying to fly an airplane after playing 100 hours of flight simulator is easier than jumping in a cockpit and spamming buttons.

Top Bottom