• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I can understand. I only own the U and it sucks as a primary game console. The only game I play on it is Smash since there's nothing else interesting left. I wish I bought a ps4 or Xbox instead, if I did I would be playing the phantom pain right now.
That's exactly how I felt when Bloodborne and MGS5 came out too. D,x I know your pain.
edit: your PHANTOM pain.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
People think Shovel Knight and Chibi Robo are confirmed. How would you guys feel if they were confirmed but Snake isn't?

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
So I had a really bad idea to make a Splatoon post on Miiverse, this was the outcome, the most poorly drawn Ocelot ever:
ocelot.PNG

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
People think Shovel Knight and Chibi Robo are confirmed. How would you guys feel if they were confirmed but Snake isn't?
I'd be annoyed--with relation to Snake because they're not Snake, of course. But also because those characters specifically are more obscure than K. Rool or Wolf and would only appeal to people who actually play those games (initially). Those characters are risks. Snake has already been in Smash and as far as I know, was a big part of Brawl's marketing to the point where his absence in Sm4sh is baffling and deserving of an explanation.

tf;dr I'd be hurt that Snake wasn't confirmed and I'd ignore those two for a long while out of spite. Then I'd give a try and either "meh" them (Roy, Ryu) or start using them more and more (Mewtwo, Lucas). The only real character I'd complain about is a NEW character who is a semi-clone. THAT would be worthy of "I'm done"

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I still think putting Smash on the 3DS was a poor decision.
I still don't quite understand why they felt the need to maintain character parity between them when there's no real cross platform play or even a large number of shared stages. A watered down Smash on 3DS is fine but it makes no sense for the Wii U version to be worse than it could be because of it. The fact they thought it better to remove Ice Climbers from both versions rather than have them in one version is absurd.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Theres one thing ive been thinking about alot lately. Many dissenters tend to use the argument that sakurai would respect kojima by not using snake since he and konami are not on good terms. One could surmise though that with kojima openly saying that he would like sakurai to please put snake in again that it would be his blessing to do so regardless of any other aspects. Haters seem to think that kojima doesnt want metal gear to exist without him, but honestly the truth is you can easily tell that he would want to see his creation live on, at least in the minds of gamers. With that said though heres what brought me to this to begin with

Do we know if sakurai is friends with inafune? At least we can assume they are aware of each other and like most japanese devs they have respect for each other. What im getting at is that many seem to base their most recent anti snake arguments on the thought that sakurai would not add snake out of respect for kojima (even though i dont see how that makes sense) because of the konami fall out. But when you think about it capcom and inafune had a very similar situation, with even more severe repercussions to the series. Now if we look at it in that light, and through the lenses that those who are making those claims, couldn't we use that against them? Surely sakurai would have a similar respect for the man who created mega man if they intend to throw that argument on snake and kojima. Yet lo and behold mega man still got in, because capcom still owned him and still wanted the brand to have some good faith with the fans. Konami undoubtedly loves money, and at this point they could use some goodwill towards their fans, it would be foolish of them to not try and pursue snakes return if at all possible.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I don't know... The 3DS version just comes off as a water down version of the Wii U version. Plus the Wii U version was basically held back due to 3DS limitations.

Quick question... In Snake comes back in 4, but doesn't return in the next installment of smash would you guys be okay with that?

MTTR.Akter

Smash Apprentice
Theres one thing ive been thinking about alot lately. Many dissenters tend to use the argument that sakurai would respect kojima by not using snake since he and konami are not on good terms. One could surmise though that with kojima openly saying that he would like sakurai to please put snake in again that it would be his blessing to do so regardless of any other aspects. Haters seem to think that kojima doesnt want metal gear to exist without him, but honestly the truth is you can easily tell that he would want to see his creation live on, at least in the minds of gamers. With that said though heres what brought me to this to begin with

Do we know if sakurai is friends with inafune? At least we can assume they are aware of each other and like most japanese devs they have respect for each other. What im getting at is that many seem to base their most recent anti snake arguments on the thought that sakurai would not add snake out of respect for kojima (even though i dont see how that makes sense) because of the konami fall out. But when you think about it capcom and inafune had a very similar situation, with even more severe repercussions to the series. Now if we look at it in that light, and through the lenses that those who are making those claims, couldn't we use that against them? Surely sakurai would have a similar respect for the man who created mega man if they intend to throw that argument on snake and kojima. Yet lo and behold mega man still got in, because capcom still owned him and still wanted the brand to have some good faith with the fans. Konami undoubtedly loves money, and at this point they could use some goodwill towards their fans, it would be foolish of them to not try and pursue snakes return if at all possible.
That's the thing. They wouldn't know what relationship Sakurai has with any developers unless they have personally met Sakurai and talked about his relationship with the others. Surely people are just trying to find an excuse for Snake not to be in the game.

I would think that Kojima and Sakurai would like Snake to be Smash 4. Also Kojima did say that he would love Snake to be in the game and he did put a lot of love toward TPP for us. For Konami, overall, is a business and from a marketing standpoint, having Snake in the game is a good business strategy and with MGS as one of their leading gaming franchise, it makes for even more publicity for their series for the people that don't know (I don't know how they won't know, TPP was everywhere). For Nintendo's case, it is also a business standpoint and having Snake there would really bring up sales for the game and holy cow, let's not talk about how much Snake amiibos would sell. I mean if I was not a Smash fan and I was just a MGS fan, I would buy that amiibo as a collective figure. For Sakurai's case, he did had interest of Snake in brawl. I don't think Kojima so called "beg" because Snake could have been in melee, but Sakurai couldn't do it due to time constraints. Sakurai article on SourceGaming about Snake joining brawl really shows that he did enjoy having Snake in the game and that he put a lot of effort into making him Smash-Worthy.

Overall, they can't use an excuse like that because the only way they can know that is if they know Sakurai in person. They are just assuming what Sakurai's personality is and how his relationships are with others. For all we know, he could be a whole different person away from media press and game development. Truth behold, behind the camera lies a different persona.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/HPp-wrUaZHOKvK_GzCJ9eDkIom6x_TEA

People don't undertand that are only non-smash amiibos like Inklings.
If the Shovel amiibo is too close to Smash game it's because the release date and promotion, like other stores like Amazon
This is the reason that we have Shovel in the left to Falco, by release dates

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Quick question... In Snake comes back in 4, but doesn't return in the next installment of smash would you guys be okay with that?
Of course I would not be okay, and the same goes for every other DLC veteran plus Dr. Mario.
But having him in this instalment would make his return in future games WAY more likely. So far nobody who ever was in at least 2 Smash was cut, with the exception of IC due to technical issues (but they were planned, so my point still holds up). It may not work so simple on TP, but at least they will look forward for it.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
So I had a really bad idea to make a Splatoon post on Miiverse, this was the outcome, the most poorly drawn Ocelot ever:
View attachment 77528
Seeing Ocelot talk about splat guns is pretty great XD

My only complaint is that you didn't call him Revolver Splatsalot :denzel:
The listings were most likely a mistake, but i'm actually really impressed with how YachtClubGames handled this situation. They were very humble and mature about it.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Of course I would not be okay, and the same goes for every other DLC veteran plus Dr. Mario.
But having him in this instalment would make his return in future games WAY more likely. So far nobody who ever was in at least 2 Smash was cut, with the exception of IC due to technical issues (but they were planned, so my point still holds up). It may not work so simple on TP, but at least they will look forward for it.
My thoughts exactly (except for Dr. Mario, I'd be happier if this was his last game, but that's just me).

As for the 3DS, I'm glad it exists. While I dislike the loss of Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik being together, the positive by far outweighs the negatives. I love playing it and play it by far more than the Wii U version. And since I do play both versions, I've come to realize I'd be very upset if the cast were different between the two versions as I am with not having (at the minimum the past stages) different stages on each version.

As long as Snake gets in after, I'd just be in the same spot we are now. If you mean they get in and Snake doesn't, I'd certainly be disappointed, but I'd still buy them and play as them regardless.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
We need some info sooner rather then later, people are getting anxious and these fake rumors/possible rumors are just getting tiring at this point.

There was also that fake twitter account that was posing as nintendo of america with only a letter difference between it and the real one, had to block that just to not see all the BS.

----
One thing with the ballot now too is with it saying they may show your vote publicly perhaps some of those will be incorporated into a reveal trailer. Even though i still dont believe we will get any actual numbers or a ranking revealed publicly when all is said and done. If sakurai truly doesnt like cutting anyone, he should really feel it if he takes notice of the snake votes. I get the feeling though that hes going to do whatever he wants regardless of the volume of votes, worst case scenario is that we dont get snake and that he still never explains why he wasnt in the initial game.

either way all we can do is sit and watch

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
You know what I'd like more than some dumb amiibo speculation/leaks/theorycrafting?
I'd like some freakin' results.
I'm tired of all this stuff, I just want to know. Not even the ballot closing can stop this kinda stuff, huh?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
You know what I'd like more than some dumb amiibo speculation/leaks/theorycrafting?
I'd like some freakin' results.
I'm tired of all this stuff, I just want to know. Not even the ballot closing can stop this kinda stuff, huh?
Until sakurai outright says they're done making characters, it will never end. Thats both good and bad

---
I would love it if the newest supposed update gave us the new character and two veterans, being snake and wolf just like lucas and roy showed up with ryu. Thats probably hoping for too much, but man would it be satisfying to put things to rest in one swoop.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Until sakurai outright says they're done making characters, it will never end. Thats both good and bad

---
I would love it if the newest supposed update gave us the new character and two veterans, being snake and wolf just like lucas and roy showed up with ryu. Thats probably hoping for too much, but man would it be satisfying to put things to rest in one swoop.
It sounds like a pretty reasonable scenario to me. Since the workload would be lesser for veterans, I expect them to outnumber any newcomer DLC. Not to mention Wolf and Snake dominate fan demand anyway, so it'd be a profitable move for them to take as well.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I'm still guessing we get 2 Vets and a Newcomer next big update like the Roy, Ryu and Lucas one.

Personally think that Wolf, Snake and Dixie make the most sense.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I'm still guessing we get 2 Vets and a Newcomer next big update like the Roy, Ryu and Lucas one.

Personally think that Wolf, Snake and Dixie make the most sense.
I'm alright with Dixie, as long as body size and shape are the only thing she has in common with Diddy.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
You know what I really want? Better music. Not that the music in Brawl was bad, but most of it was forgettable or just didn't fit (I'm looking at you Calling to the Night).

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Here's a concern i've had for a while that could potentially affect Snake's return:

If i'm remembering right, in an old Iwata asks, Iwata spoke about how at first he was very skeptical about Snake, feeling like he was much more of a Sony character. But he eventually lightened up to Snake and felt like he was a great fit for Smash.

Now the concern i've been having is that what if the new president is not as open to Snake as Iwata. He might feel as if Snake shouldn't be in Smash because of his ties to Sony, regardless of Snake's presence in Brawl. I just really hope that's not the case.

Snake was a very popular character in Brawl, so I feel like that should be more important than his history with Sony. To me, Snake doesn't represent Sony in Smash, he represents Metal Gear and the Stealth genre. And with the over-the-top wackiness of the Metal Gear series, Snake is the perfect representative of the Stealth genre for Smash. Snake's presence adds a lot of uniqueness that feels missing in Smash 4, and no character can replace that.

EDIT:
You know what I really want? Better music. Not that the music in Brawl was bad, but most of it was forgettable or just didn't fit (I'm looking at you Calling to the Night).

You mentioning that song actually reminded me of one of my favorite Smash moments.

I was in a local Project M tournament, and I was up against one of my friends who was also a Snake main. He was probably the best Snake main I ever played. I chose the Solid Snake alt, and he chose the Big Boss alt. The tournament went by traditional tournament rules, but we broke them for this match. We picked Shadow Moses Island as the stage, and switched the music to Calling to the Night.

The battle was intense! I remember us both being high percentage on our final stock. We were juggling each other, desperately DI-ing to avoid death while song was at it's climax! At the end, I stuck my friend with some C4, up thrown him, and finished him off with some C4! The crowd was cheering, and instead of shaking my hand, my friend saluted me and said, "You are the successor to Big Boss!".

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I actually don't think Calling to the Night fits in Smash. The song is epic, but not something I'd play during an epic smash battle.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Actually, this might just be me, but Calling to the Night is one of my favorite songs in Shadow Moses Island. The composition of that track is so good that i play that song whenever possible in Brawl and is one of my favorites to play in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Also FeenieTheTrite FeenieTheTrite , that must have been awesome. Have there ever been other Snake dittos in Project M where it was Snake vs Big Boss?

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't think Calling to the Night fits in Smash. The song is epic, but not something I'd play during an epic smash battle.
It might just be me, but I feel like the song adds a completely different perspective on Smash battles. Instead of fast passed music that gets you pumped, it's a very emotional track that adds a lot of weight to the battles. It almost turns matches from zany and wacky cartoon violence, to something intense and adds desperation that makes you feel like your fighting for more than just bragging rights.

I dunno, I might just be crazy for thinking that deeply about a Smash song :psycho:
Have there ever been other Snake dittos in Project M where it was Snake vs Big Boss?
Other than playing against some of my friends for fun, that was the only Snake vs Big Boss ditto I saw/took part in at a local tournament. I'm not too knowledgeable of the Project M competitive community, so I don't know how often Snake vs Big Boss dittos happen at bigger events.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Calling to the Night is one of my Faves as well.

I think that they have a good selection of music available now with MGR/MGSV.

You can definitely add some of the Rising music along with Sins of the Father or Quiets Theme.

Would love Heaven's Divide. I remember in PW when I was playing that level it was quite epic mowing down soldiers and it just comes on unexpectedly. Then, following that, I got that "sing a song" song stuck in my head for a few days lol.

I could even get behind the non-lyrical version of Heaven's Divide - It's my Heli Theme is in MGSV.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

That would be a perfect song, but sadly, that lawsuit blocks it from ever getting used.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
When it comes to choosing music, Metal Gear Rising is probably one of the better games to go with.

The Phantom Pain has some good tracks like Sins of the Father or Quiet's Theme, but Rising has songs like It Has to Be This Way, Stranger I Remain, I'm My Own Master Now, The Only Thing I Know for Real and of course, Rules of Nature. If Snake brings Raiden as an Assist Trophy, i think Rules of Nature is almost guaranteed.

As for other tracks, i wouldn't mind seeing the Metal Gear Saga theme from Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid 2's Theme or The Best is Yet to Come (though this one is unlikely).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
When it comes to choosing music, Metal Gear Rising is probably one of the better games to go with.

The Phantom Pain has some good tracks like Sins of the Father or Quiet's Theme, but Rising has songs like It Has to Be This Way, Stranger I Remain, I'm My Own Master Now, The Only Thing I Know for Real and of course, Rules of Nature. If Snake brings Raiden as an Assist Trophy, i think Rules of Nature is almost guaranteed.

As for other tracks, i wouldn't mind seeing the Metal Gear Saga theme from Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid 2's Theme or The Best is Yet to Come (though this one is unlikely).
Let's be honest. Having Mario vs Sonic vs Pac-Man vs Mega Man vs Ryu vs Snake with Rules of Nature playing would be the greatest thing ever.

It'd be the first thing I do lol.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Let's be honest. Having Mario vs Sonic vs Pac-Man vs Mega Man vs Ryu vs Snake with Rules of Nature playing would be the greatest thing ever.

It'd be the first thing I do lol.
Yeah, Rules of Nature would be one of the best songs they can add from Metal Gear for Smash and i will be greatly disappointed if it isn't added.

Though that match you described.......that is beautiful.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, Rules of Nature would be one of the best songs they can add from Metal Gear for Smash and i will be greatly disappointed if it isn't added.

Though that match you described.......that is beautiful.
Wouldn't be the first time that they inexplicably left out one of the best song choices for a stage.

See:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I had to quit my lurking ways because no one mentioned the best song in Metal Gear history

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I had to quit my lurking ways because no one mentioned the best song in Metal Gear history

Yes, more MSX tracks! The MSX soundtracks fit Smash so well!

Also, am I the only one who would love for this track to be in Smash:

Edit: Also, welcome to Smashboards, Gran-Rojo Gran-Rojo !

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Yes, more MSX tracks! The MSX soundtracks fit Smash so well!

Also, am I the only one who would love for this track to be in Smash:

Edit: Also, welcome to Smashboards, Gran-Rojo Gran-Rojo !
Thanks! I've actually lurked character boards that I support for a while but I can't resist game music discussions so I decided to post finally lol.

I've been meaning to play the acid series, thats some of the few metal gear games I haven't played.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
No lie, the first time I heard calling to the night when unlocking it In brawl I cried. I actually really liked fighting to the song too, made everything super dramatic. I'm not sure what new songs I'd want if snake came back, but they Have to keep yell dead cell, Thats one of the best MGS songs of all time.

On a side note, I recently got mgsv and boy is it good. It reminds me of a more serious gi joe, they did a good job nailing that 80's feel.

MTTR.Akter

Smash Apprentice
Oh! A remix of the alert theme from Metal Gear (MSX). I would love a remix version of this! It's too bad we won't be getting that Metal Gear Remake from Outer Heaven Productions, I was looking forward to it :(

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Hey there, everyone! I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best of luck with Snake. While I don't support him to the same extent as other characters, I still think it'd be awesome to see him back.

So yeah, I'd like to be added to the supporters list! I'm all in for Snake coming back.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
C'mon people! Why has no one posted the best Metal Gear song of them all? The Solid 2 theme! (have a cool orchestrated version of it)

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
No lie, the first time I heard calling to the night when unlocking it In brawl I cried. I actually really liked fighting to the song too, made everything super dramatic. I'm not sure what new songs I'd want if snake came back, but they Have to keep yell dead cell, Thats one of the best MGS songs of all time.

On a side note, I recently got mgsv and boy is it good. It reminds me of a more serious gi joe, they did a good job nailing that 80's feel.
I know that feel. As odd as it is, the Brawl version of the MGS4 Love Theme used to make me very emotional, 0:23 was where it started to hit me (those dang fiddles violins). I always had to turn the track off when I played on Shadow Moses Island, as it would nearly drive me to tears every time (younger me was weird XD)

And that was before I played MGS4 and heard the original ;~; (that game was the true essence of feels)

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet

Have you played Metal Gear Online 3 yet? omg I can't stop playing it, it's definitely one of my favorite online experiences since Uncharted 2 online.

Oh! A remix of the alert theme from Metal Gear (MSX). I would love a remix version of this! It's too bad we won't be getting that Metal Gear Remake from Outer Heaven Productions, I was looking forward to it :(
The red alert theme is definitely one of the most underrated tracks in all of Metal Gear, I'm sad that they didn't remix this theme in later MGS games like they did with some of the other MSX tracks. I also think that the ending theme (Return of Fox Hounder) is extremely underrated.

C'mon people! Why has no one posted the best Metal Gear song of them all? The Solid 2 theme! (have a cool orchestrated version of it)
Gimmick posted the MGS1 version of this theme above. This track is a given lol, I put this track in my Project M as soon as I downloaded it. I'm still upset that it was supposed to be in brawl but they removed it due to similarities to another song :(

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Have you played Metal Gear Online 3 yet? omg I can't stop playing it, it's definitely one of my favorite online experiences since Uncharted 2 online.
Haven't got around to playing any of the online stuff yet, mainly just started the base game and I'm trying to do a mostly pacifist play through, so missions can take awhile. From what I've seen the online mode looks really unique and I also really want to play as ocelot. never got around to playing the other metal gear onlines so I guess I'd have to get used to how it plays first.

Top Bottom