• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
For the past 2 E3's we've had 3 characters revealed. So by patterns, it would be be Wolf, Ryu, and Snake.

But this is Sakurai and this is DLC...
ehhhhh it's more likely Roy, Ryu and Wolf. Snake might be October like Sonic and released in December as the last character pre-ballet. Though according to the files only Roy and Ryu might be in development enough to be shown at E3.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Don't mind me; just want to spread this video among anyone who could potentially listen:

Should Nintendo step in and give those old franchises funding? I hope so.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
For the past 2 E3's we've had 3 characters revealed. So by patterns, it would be be Wolf, Ryu, and Snake.

But this is Sakurai and this is DLC...
Like I said, unpredictable. I'm pretty sure another veteran will get revealed at E3 given that the ballot is too young to make any significant change at this point.

Yeah, it came to my notice that the "too recent" argument wasn't the most well-thought-out. What I meant to say was at least the newer characters act as an extension of their franchise that holds a significant legacy--although I'm not sure if Dark Pit would fit in with that category since the Kid Icarus series spans across only three games. I'm certain there's further holes in this argument, but I'm just thinking out loud. Don't pay me no nevermind. :facepalm:
Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree that Shovel Knight is the best choice compared to Goku and Shrek. And this guy.
Kid Icarus does have a decades old legacy, though, even if it only has 3 games.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Like I said, unpredictable. I'm pretty sure another veteran will get revealed at E3 given that the ballot is too young to make any significant change at this point.

Kid Icarus does have a decades old legacy, though, even if it only has 3 games.
The main argument against shovel knight is that the 3rd party characters usually have some sort of a legacy. I don't think shovel knight has a legacy to match up to the 5 characters already in smash, the too recent card would hinder only him and other indie characters, because they aren't Nintendo.

The only indie character that is really iconic is the minecraft guy, and thank god he'll never get in.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The main argument against shovel knight is that the 3rd party characters usually have some sort of a legacy. I don't think shovel knight has a legacy to match up to the 5 characters already in smash, the too recent card would hinder only him and other indie characters, because they aren't Nintendo.

The only indie character that is really iconic is the minecraft guy, and thank god he'll never get in.
Actually, Minecraft isn't anymore an indie. Microsoft bought Mojang...and the Minecraft creator have alredy left the company...it's just me, or all this sounds familiar?

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not really. Indie gaming has recognizable names like Commander Video from Bit Trip Runner(Wii U trophy), Quote from Cave Story and Super Meat Boy, the Spelunky explorer and Captain Viridian from VVVVVV.

Though none of them reasonably stand a chance either.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Why would Shovel Knight be viable in the first place? This ballot has opened up some crazy options.

Sorry I'm not as active as I used to be. I generally can't think of something worthwhile to post, and when I do, someone else generally beats me to the punch.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
So I've been playing through MGS1 for the first time and had this idea.
What if Psycho Mantis was an assist trophy? Basically would reverse the controls of the other players. I dunno, something like that seems cool.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
What if Psycho Mantis was an assist trophy? Basically would reverse the controls of the other players. I dunno, something like that seems cool.
If your controller has vibrate technology built in, it vibrates uncontrollably the entire time Psycho Mantis is summoned. You have to unplug your GCN controller from the adapter and change controller ports to be able to do any type of attacks against the player who summoned Psycho Mantis. You will only be able to move around and jump not shield. If you aren't using a GCN adapter, you have to wait until the assist trophy vanishes, which will vary depending on how much save data you have from other games. During the time Mantis is summoned, he reads all of your save data from your Wii U or 3DS.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've had this idea before. What if it instead changed everyone's controller ports, making you control another person's character for the duration he's out? It'd make everyone play like an absolute backwards mess. People attempting to run off the stage to kill the character they got control of. People attacking their own character just to keep them from SDing, but trying to keep the damage minimal at the same time. In teams or FFA's, throwing out risky moves to try and get a lucky kill or stupid high damage with no care for how safe it is because the damage they take isn't there's, but at the same time, people will try to direct the character they got control of into their own character's attacks, so you still have to avoid killing the real you. They'd have to juggle all the pros and cons to just SDing, keeping their own character alive, and killing other characters in the lead. I'd say there'd also be the side effect of losing respawn invincibility to avoid making things too easy.

It might even make weird team up scenarios, like if you end up controlling your own teammate, but your teammate gets control of an enemy. Then you'd be protecting your teammate from being protected, making sure nobody gets in the way of him SDing. And of course, getting control of your teammate's Ness while your teammate gets the enemy's ZSS, and then you get your teammate to heal his character with the enemy's attacks.

It could also swap the ports of people who have already lost all their stocks, letting that player wreak havoc since absolutely nothing matters to him with his character dead, and the person who got the dead character's port has to just wait it out. It would give them a chance to revenge kill somebody from the dead.

Everyone would be fighting in complete chaos. It's all pretty fitting to Mantis' mind control and 4th wall breaking shenanigans.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Your picture is fantastic. xD

MGS1 is def one of my favorites. I remember playing it a few years ago for the first time, and I just got sucked deep into the story. Was really surprised how good it was.

Also, RIP your fingers soon. You'll know what I mean.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I've had this idea before. What if it instead changed everyone's controller ports, making you control another person's character for the duration he's out?
That's just as annoying as the spear pillar pokemon, but still pretty awesome. I hope we get this.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I was looking for MGS:TS used, but the game is surprisingly expensive. I haven't seen it below $35, and it easily goes for $50 or more. Is it a rare game?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've had this idea before. What if it instead changed everyone's controller ports, making you control another person's character for the duration he's out? It'd make everyone play like an absolute backwards mess.
That's kind of what Manaphy did in Brawl.

And I like it.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Is there anyone that actually doesn't want Snake to return? Of all the frontrunners (K Rool, Isaac, Ridley, Roy, Banjo, ect), I don't believe I've ever seen any dislike for Snake compared to the others.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone that actually doesn't want Snake to return? Of all the frontrunners (K Rool, Isaac, Ridley, Roy, Banjo, ect), I don't believe I've ever seen any dislike for Snake compared to the others.
Some people think that Snake is too violent or too realistic. Also, some people don't want him back because they think he's a Playstation character. I don't think any of these are true though.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
They're really not true. Every game is designed so you can beat it without killing anyone, and is required for the best rank. Pacifism is encouraged. Even so, they gave him a bunch bang booms in Brawl so he wouldn't even appear violent. Too realistic doesn't matter, because anything can be adapted to fit any style. Smash 4 has tons of conflicting art styles coming together into something that looks just fine. And if they mean MGS as a whole is too realistic, that's just silly. There's supernatural powers and crazy science fiction in every game. Playstation character is flat out wrong.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
They're really not true. Every game is designed so you can beat it without killing anyone, and is required for the best rank. Pacifism is encouraged. Even so, they gave him a bunch bang booms in Brawl so he wouldn't even appear violent. Too realistic doesn't matter, because anything can be adapted to fit any style. Smash 4 has tons of conflicting art styles coming together into something that looks just fine. And if they mean MGS as a whole is too realistic, that's just silly. There's supernatural powers and crazy science fiction in every game. Playstation character is flat out wrong.
I know it's wrong, but some people think that way.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ridley still gets a high amount of derision, and I'd say comparable to Snake given what Ridley's supporters are doing.

Some people think that Snake is too violent
In games that encourage no-kill runs.

or too realistic.
For all the parallels Metal Gear makes to the real world, there's silly things like the Infinity Bandana, emotive bullets, solar guns, tornado causing muskets, human slingshots, and others. Metal Gear doesn't take itself completely seriously.

Also, some people don't want him back because they think he's a Playstation character.
Gee, wonder what those Metal Gear games on Nintendo consoles are doing there, then. And the Xbox ports of some of the main line games, too.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Fortune from MGS2 would make for a random AT choice, like Elec Man.

She will slowly walk around and make quotes every so often, like "put me out of my misery".

Any projectiles or items thrown at her will arc around her and be flung wildly in different directions, somewhat like Rosalina's down B.

Meanwhile, she'll slowly charge up and shoot electric blasts from her rail gun three times. These blasts are very powerful and are pretty much 1 hit KOs.

---

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
So, do you guys think it's okay to be throwing votes for Big Boss as well? Surely it'll give them the hint that everyone wants a Big Boss costume for Snake, right?
Gee, wonder what those Metal Gear games on Nintendo consoles are doing there, then. And the Xbox ports of some of the main line games, too.
...You know, that gave back an unpleasant memory of when I made a MGO(2) room with the description mentioning the recently announced MGSHD collection for PS3...and made the mistake of mentioning it was also coming to 360. So many PS fanboys outcrying that I left the room =X So glad the series is starting to head to other platforms now, its starting to get more fans that own other platforms. In the PS exclusive days I almost could never find an MGS fan who'd even touch a Nintendo console :l
(Of course all the fans here would though, part of why I love this thread so much.)

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wish I could just buy every MGS on PC. Glad MGS5 is going that route, cause I don't plan on participating in this generation of consoles at all, other than Wii U, despite being an idort since the SNES era. They've become more trouble than they're worth for me, especially at that cost.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wish I could just buy every MGS on PC. Glad MGS5 is going that route, cause I don't plan on participating in this generation of consoles at all, other than Wii U, despite being an idort since the SNES era. They've become more trouble than they're worth for me, especially at that cost.
Yeah it's a shame. Luckily MGS1 & 2 are on PC, and if you got a 3ds you could for snake eater.
If PSnow hits PC you could rent MGS4 & maybe peace walker on it for a while.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A lot of reasons against Snake are deterred because of him already appearing in Smash Bros. It'd be completely different if he had never appeared in Smash before.

If he were too violent, too much Playstation, or whatever people think, he would have never shown up in the first place.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They got rid of his beard....

Bleck.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
He has a beard version still. MGS2 Snake didn't have a beard though, which is why there's two.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I really want to believe that Snake is eventually coming, but then I hear peeps around me saying that the Konami issues practically destroy whatever chance he has.

I ain't giving up hope, but that worries me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Meh, just wait to see what happens. Sure Konami has made some bad decisions recently, but it doesn't have anything to do with Smash.

Now if they said, "We will no longer support any console outside of PS4, then we'd have evidence it ain't happening.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I've had this idea before. What if it instead changed everyone's controller ports, making you control another person's character for the duration he's out? It'd make everyone play like an absolute backwards mess. People attempting to run off the stage to kill the character they got control of. People attacking their own character just to keep them from SDing, but trying to keep the damage minimal at the same time. In teams or FFA's, throwing out risky moves to try and get a lucky kill or stupid high damage with no care for how safe it is because the damage they take isn't there's, but at the same time, people will try to direct the character they got control of into their own character's attacks, so you still have to avoid killing the real you. They'd have to juggle all the pros and cons to just SDing, keeping their own character alive, and killing other characters in the lead. I'd say there'd also be the side effect of losing respawn invincibility to avoid making things too easy.

It might even make weird team up scenarios, like if you end up controlling your own teammate, but your teammate gets control of an enemy. Then you'd be protecting your teammate from being protected, making sure nobody gets in the way of him SDing. And of course, getting control of your teammate's Ness while your teammate gets the enemy's ZSS, and then you get your teammate to heal his character with the enemy's attacks.

It could also swap the ports of people who have already lost all their stocks, letting that player wreak havoc since absolutely nothing matters to him with his character dead, and the person who got the dead character's port has to just wait it out. It would give them a chance to revenge kill somebody from the dead.

Everyone would be fighting in complete chaos. It's all pretty fitting to Mantis' mind control and 4th wall breaking shenanigans.
I LOVE this idea. I was so disappointed that Manafy's Heart Swap never once happened in the thousands of hours of Brawl gameplay. I really want to see this happen in some way, just for the sheer hilarity the chaos will ensue. It sounds so fun, I really wish it would happen.

He has a beard version still. MGS2 Snake didn't have a beard though, which is why there's two.

That looks really good. I never got how people say he'd look out of place, he didn't in Brawl and all it took was a higher res model and more saturated colors to match him with the rest of the cast.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman

Could you send me that Snake image with no background? Then I can make it into a splash screen like they do with all the character announcements!
jk, I can do it
Eh... probably not the best one I've done, but what do you guys think?:

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If I had the time to do it I would, but I've been incredibly busy this semester, and will continue to be busy over the Summer. If somebody would like to volunteer to revamp it, I would willingly give them the OP to fix up.
I can revamp it and make it look cleaner. I'll tag you once I'm ready to receive it.

Top Bottom